• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Canon |OT| - The thing with legends is that parts of them are true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hows the Ashoka novel?

So far I've read Lost Stars (pretty good), Aftermath (not great) and Catalyst (kinda bland)

It's OK. It's very "small", in that it kind of just focuses on a few characters and a small event. I liked it, but it was a very middle of the road book. It's a shame too, b/c I love Ahsoka as a character.

sphagnum

Banned
It's OK. It's very "small", in that it kind of just focuses on a few characters and a small event. I liked it, but it was a very middle of the road book. It's a shame too, b/c I love Ahsoka as a character.

It felt like it would have made a few good TCW (post TCW I guess) episodes. Also further cemented my belief that Ilum is SKB.

Malyse

Hows the Ashoka novel?

So far I've read Lost Stars (pretty good), Aftermath (not great) and Catalyst (kinda bland)

True though this is, it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to, cause Ahsoka reads the Ahsoka audiobook. I like to imagine she did it while dressed as Ahsoka.

5T022a9.jpg

Ahsokaception.

True though this is, it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to, cause Ahsoka reads the Ahsoka audiobook. I like to imagine she did it while dressed as Ahsoka.

5T022a9.jpg

Ahsokaception.

I did forget about that. Hearing Ashley Eckstein voice herself in a book is a joy. (So don't read it, just listen to it!)

Wanderer5

Great thread. I had read Ahsoka recently and it is a fine book that is not long nor huge and such, but still enjoyable anyway. Lost Stars was pretty damn good also.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Has anything in the new canon talked about Coruscant post ROTJ?

- The post-ROTJ celebrations on Coruscant ended up turning into a violent shitshow according the Aftermath books
- In the New Republic era, people really didnt like the idea of the planet staying as the capital. Hence, why capital planets are on a rotation basis now.

kyser73

I've only read Tarkin of the new EU, but I'm thoroughly enjoying Rebels which has come on leaps & bounds since it started - the S2 climax was one of the best bits of Star Wars ever, IMO. Amazing sabre battles,
i actually whooped when DV appears on the top of his TIE and his fight with Ahshoka was beyond epic - one of THE best sabre duels in the canon IMO.

I clearly have a LOT to catch up on though! Will probably take the recommendation to listen to the audio books.

sphagnum

Banned
Has anything in the new canon talked about Coruscant post ROTJ?

Up to one year post RotJ there's a guerilla war going on after the Empire cracked down on the celebrations that erupted when Palpatine died. There's even child soldiers fighting for the Rebellion/New Republic (the Anklebiter Brigade). By the end of the war, when the Galactic Concordance is signed, Coruscant and all the other remaining Imperial worlds are stripped of their military power and hit with heavy sanctions. The Empire melts away as planet after planet eventually joins the New Republic to escape the hardship.

Coruscant loses a lot of influence because the capital is rotated now. However, by the time of Bloodline, at least one of Coruscant's senators is a Centrist (the party that wants a strong federal government), and since tons of Centrists are in bed with the First Order, there's probably at least a good amount of sympathy for it there if the planet didn't switch sides to them completely.

Up to one year post RotJ there's a guerilla war going on after the Empire cracked down on the celebrations that erupted when Palpatine died. There's even child soldiers fighting for the Rebellion/New Republic (the Anklebiter Brigade). By the end of the war, when the Galactic Concordance is signed, Coruscant and all the other remaining Imperial worlds are stripped of their military power and hit with heavy sanctions. The Empire melts away as planet after planet eventually joins the New Republic to escape the hardship.

Coruscant loses a lot of influence because the capital is rotated now. However, by the time of Bloodline, at least one of Coruscant's senators is a Centrist (the party that wants a strong federal government), and since tons of Centrists are in bed with the First Order, there's probably at least a good amount of sympathy for it there if the planet didn't switch sides to them completely.

- The post-ROTJ celebrations on Coruscant ended up turning into a violent shitshow according the Aftermath books
- In the New Republic era, people really didnt like the idea of the planet staying as the capital. Hence, why capital planets are on a rotation basis now.

Thanks, I knew about Naboo pretty well but Coruscant I really hadn't heard much about it beyond the OT time period.

I don't care what the planet says, kotor will always be canon
to me ;_;

Hows the Ashoka novel?

It would have been a solid 3/5 but the extra lore pushes it for me. You can really feel what it's like to grow up in the world, and humanizing imperials is A OKAY in my book.

Does C-3PO get his memory banks wiped anytime after it happens to him in EP3? Also iirc R2 never has his banks wiped through all 8 movies right? So he knows allllll of the shit that happened?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Fantastic work on the thread OP. I never did get too heavily invested in the EU, but I did read a select few short stories in Tales from Jabbas Palace and Stories from the Bounty Hunters (not sure if title is 100% accurate) and apart from playing a couple of Jedi Knight games that's as far as my EU experiemce goes.

sphagnum

Banned
Does C-3PO get his memory banks wiped anytime after it happens to him in EP3? Also iirc R2 never has his banks wiped through all 8 movies right? So he knows allllll of the shit that happened?

I don't believe 3PO's memory was wiped any time after RotS but R2's definitely wasn't. In the old canon George actually made it a point that the story of Star Wars was being told to the Whills by R2 100 years after RotJ. Whether that is still the case is unknown but since Lucasfilm treats anything Lucas said or approved of as gospel I would think it still does.

Ithil

I wonder what their view of The Old Republic is, given it's still ongoing. I guess it's under the Legends banner, but it's also so long ago compared to the regular series that it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder what their view of The Old Republic is, given it's still ongoing. I guess it's under the Legends banner, but it's also so long ago compared to the regular series that it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

It's non canon.

Well, now we are seeing the negatives of banning a community to the community forums, lol. On one hand, we have new blood in here talking about Star Wars which is always a plus. But then we have regulars from the original OT who have been have been talking Star Wars canon all the time. I appreciate the time and effort into this OT's OP, but the discussions between the two topics is effectively the same.

Finished Catalyst today (my first Star Wars book), thought it worked great as prologue to Rogue One as it gave me a lot of characterisation that the movie doesn't have the time for, namely Krennic and the Erso's. I also really liked how
it starts during the clone wars and proceeds into the time of the Empire.
Overall, I really liked it, though I found it a little uneventful.

Anywho, I am still riding the high from Rogue One, and fancy reading another one, what would people recommend next?

Malyse

Finished Catalyst today (my first Star Wars book), thought it worked great as prologue to Rogue One as it gave me a lot of characterisation that the movie doesn't have the time for, namely Krennic and the Erso's. I also really liked how
it starts during the clone wars and proceeds into the time of the Empire.
Overall, I really liked it, though I found it a little uneventful.

Anywho, I am still riding the high from Rogue One, and fancy reading another one, what would people recommend next?

What flavor would you prefer? Middle of the OT? Prequel? Post ROTJ? Lead in for TFA?

Malyse

Hmmm, pretty open for anything really :)

Start with Bloodline, Lost Stars, and Darth Vader (comic). After that, go to Aftermath and Life Debt, then move to whatever comic character you want to know more about
but it will prolly be Doctor Aphra.

golem

No one is really sure. There are elements of The Old Republic mentioned in the current canon (include a period known as the Old Republic), but the actual stories/games/etc set there aren't confirmed as canon. I'm guessing it has a good chance of happening eventually

Revan, sure.

Katarn, lol nope.

Revan came this close to being in the final arc of The Clone Wars. They even made a character model for him before he was replaced by Darth Bane in the end product.

As for Katarn, I guess we should be thankful that he wasn't made canon for the purpose we all thought he would be,
given how Rogue One turned out for the protagonists.

Teggy

I'm back to trying to catch up on Clone Wars, which I've never watched. I'm midway through the second season.

What is canon for shields? It seems that a human can walk through any shield, but they block energy weapons? So why can't a spaceship just fly through?

Also, does Clone Wars explain how Poggle the Lesser
winds up back in charge of Geonosis after being arrested by the republic? He is back in charge in Catalyst.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm back to trying to catch up on Clone Wars, which I've never watched. I'm midway through the second season.

What is canon for shields? It seems that a human can walk through any shield, but they block energy weapons? So why can't a spaceship just fly through?

winds up back in charge of Geonosis after being arrested by the republic? He is back in charge in Catalyst.
I'm in the same spot as you. The shields thing is them seeming to play it really loose. I mean ships shouldn't be able to get through because they're technically emitting energy or whatever, but then other times like on a Republic cruiser, ships fly into a shielded hanger just fine.

Just on the ground, assume energy weapons can't get through and that's the only rule you should pay attention to.

Teggy

I'm in the same spot as you. The shields thing is them seeming to play it really loose. I mean ships shouldn't be able to get through because they're technically emitting energy or whatever, but then other times like on a Republic cruiser, ships fly into a shielded hanger just fine.

Just on the ground, assume energy weapons can't get through and that's the only rule you should pay attention to.

So, in a ground attack tanks should just be able to drive right through the shields, right? It just seems that everything always hinges on them taking down the sheild generator.

golem

In Catalyst
Poggle is in jail when Krennic first visits him, I assume he got him out

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, in a ground attack tanks should just be able to drive right through the shields, right? It just seems that everything always hinges on them taking down the sheild generator.
Again it could easily be them not being super strict all the time with their internal logic. They aren't the first animated show to not really nitpick about this stuff.

But just assume the tanks couldn't get through because there's a significant amount of energy to run them or something. Or maybe because they're generating their own shields, they can't get through.

I don't fucking know... this is some Simpsons 'genius at work' shit...

withdrawmyquestion.gif

Teggy

Again it could easily be them not being super strict all the time with their internal logic. They aren't the first animated show to not really nitpick about this stuff.

But just assume the tanks couldn't get through because there's a significant amount of energy to run them or something. Or maybe because they're generating their own shields, they can't get through.

I don't fucking know... this is some Simpsons 'genius at work' shit...

withdrawmyquestion.gif

Yeah, I was comparing with the movies, too - like why can't fighters fly into the Death Star until the shields are down. If the issue is that the shields on the fighters would react with the shields on the Death Star I guess I can live with that.

One day Revan will be canon.

Though that depends on whether they ever want his themes in the canon or not. His whole thing, if unchanged, is that
the Force has no light or dark side and the strongest connection you can have with the Force is to use both.
I could see that not being an approved theme.

antonz

Shields and what they are exist as defined but it still seems like they adjust in use as convenient.

Ray shields are supposed to stop energy weapons and yet we see it used time after time to trap people etc. while Particle shields are meant to stop physical objects.

Though that depends on whether they ever want his themes in the canon or not. His whole thing, if unchanged, is that
the Force has no light or dark side and the strongest connection you can have with the Force is to use both.

They seem to be going back to that in some ways with the Bendu in rebels etc

golem

I hope that's the way they go with Rey. She didnt seem like she was really lightsiding it in the fight with Kylo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom