• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze Sells Back System Shock 3 Publishing Rights

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/11/starbreeze-sells-back-system-shock-3-publishing-rights

Alongside a remastered System Shock, developer OtherSide Entertainment also announced a new System Shock game in 2015 as part of their reveal that they are holding the venerated license. Starbreeze, the Stockholm-based game developer and sometimes publisher, quickly picked up publishing rights to the game to get behind OtherSide's System Shock 3. Now it appears Starbreeze and OtherSide are parting ways, leaving more questions than answers.
The announcement came from Starbreeze today in a surprisingly short-and-to-the-point release. Stating that the decision to split was mutual, Starbreeze also points out that OtherSide will be repaying all the money that the publisher invested into the game at some point. It is unclear exactly how much that is, but GamaSutra reports the number as $12 million dollars.
"I believe this is the best solution for us, although it is sad that we cannot complete the project with OtherSide," writes Starbreeze CEO Mikael Nermark. "System Shock 3 is a fantastic title developed in cooperation with the industry legend Warren Spector and I am looking forward to seeing the game released."
The press statement suggests that this move is part of Starbreeze's attempt to recover from Overkill's The Walking Dead's poor performance and refocus on their core development business. The Walking Dead title, originally intended for consoles, seems to have been cancelled beyond the PC version.
Starbreeze still remains the publisher for Psychonauts 2 at the moment.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m kind of glad they are no longer involved. I didn’t want System Shock 3 affected by Starbreeze’s turmoil.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I honestly don't expect much from either the System Shock remake and System Shock 3. Real shame since 2 is one of my all time favorites. I really can't see a good product coming out of this messy development.

Shotpun

I honestly don't expect much from either the System Shock remake and System Shock 3. Real shame since 2 is one of my all time favorites. I really can't see a good product coming out of this messy development.

SS Remake has had a messy development for sure, but I haven't heard anything troubling from SS3. Starbreeze having financial problems shouldn't have much or any impact if the SS3 team already got the money they needed to make the game, and if Starbreeze invested 12 million that should be enough to make the game as long the team uses it wisely. I'm still hopeful they can deliver a good game.

SS Remake looks like it's back on track too, even though honestly I think I would have rather had that re-imagined version they first went for than the faithful version they are now working on, the space station looks a bit too 1994 for my taste. And I don't mean the placeholder textures they have used when showing it off.

scalman

But remake and this new taking so long time to make . i played tech demo of remake on unity engine couple yrs ago and now we need wait again because they changed engine. And i didint like that much that tech demo

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If Underworld Ascendant is any indication.....yikes.

All those unfinished levels, doors that won't open, and a horrible saving system. It's like they thought about making the game than actually working on it. Maybe there is another developer who is interested.

brian0057

Banned
Looking Glass Mark II is getting the rights to System Shock? Sweet!
If only they'd take the rights to the Thief series from Square Enix. I loved Underworld: Ascendant. It was like playing Thief II all over again.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious. Now we know that most games these days will get 70+% even if completely janky and fucked, but Underworld Ascendant took some real heavy hits. I'm just wondering, was it a campaign by journos or is it actually that bad?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What are you talking about? System Shock 2 was released back in 1999. Arkane Studios did the HD remake.
My post makes it quite clear what I am talking about. SS3 aint going to happen, play Prey instead. That's as close to an SS fix as you will likely get.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I dont like prey, SS2 with couple mods its amazing to play even this day. We need new SS

Yeah tbh I didn't find Prey particularly satisfying either. I mean the initial reveal is quite nice, but beyond that it just gets a bit.. the enemies aren't very interesting.

brian0057

Banned
My post makes it quite clear what I am talking about. SS3 aint going to happen, play Prey instead. That's as close to an SS fix as you will likely get.

I already played Prey... when it released back in 1999.
I'd rather have System Shock 3 made by the actual Looking Glass Studios (albeit under a new name) than by a developer whose sole purpose in life is being the dollar store version of Looking Glass.

P.S.: I did play Prey (2017). As soon as they introduced the grab shafts and the cybermodules... I mean, "neuromods", any semblance of originality flew right out of the window and what was left was an HD remake of System Shock 2.

Last edited:

bati

I dont like prey, SS2 with couple mods its amazing to play even this day. We need new SS

I love Prey and am in awe of Arkane's ability to come up with such tight game design but yeah, System Shock 2 with mods is still one of the best gaming experiences available today. And the game looks damn good with engine and texture overhauls.

bati

I already played Prey... when it released back in 1999.
I'd rather have System Shock 3 made by the actual Looking Glass Studios (albeit under a new name) than by a developer whose sole purpose in life is being the dollar store version of Looking Glass.

Are you joking? Current LGS isn't even a shell of their former selves. Underworld ascendant is pure unfiltered garbage, and that's before you even look at the technical issues the game is plagued with.

Meanwhile Arkane is on a Dishonored, Dishonored 2 and Prey streak, with design principles applied to them that could be used to teach a master class in game design. Not to mention their otherworldy skill at designing levels and nudging the player towards exploration.

They are the best immersive sim developer right now and it's not even a contest because the few studios that event attempt to make these games are nowhere near the quality that Arkane has.

The only thing LGS has is the name, that's it. Past success is not a very accurate predictor for the quality of future titles, which is something that this industry has demonstrated over and over. You're only as good as your last game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom