• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks announces new line of Oleato coffee drinks infused with olive oil

LordCBH

I really don't get why people still say this.
$5 of coffee once per day = $1825/year. (Nobody is buying it every single day a year).
Median rent for house/apartment per year is $1,870.
Rent for a year = 22,440/year.

It's the cost of living increases while stagnating wages that is costing young people's wealth later in life. Cost to buy things goes up, your wage doesn't. You're now making less than the year prior. Buying a convenient cup of coffee some of the days you live has an insignificant effect on future earnings.

Whoa whoa whoa man. Just stop eating avocado toast and you can save $7 and finally afford that house. (/s obviously)

kuncol02

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa man. Just stop eating avocado toast and you can save $7 and finally afford that house. (/s obviously)
House maybe not, but avocado toast and coffee is 360 dollars every month. That's more than 4k every year. Most of people are making even more purchases like that every day. And that's not even worse case. There are people who barely can afford to live and spend all they money collecting overpriced garbage like limited edition sneakers or funko pops.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
starbucks pretty girl GIF

Fools idol

Banned
So, in your fictional scenario did you account for all the coffee stocks going under because no one is buying it anymore? I'm not saying investment isn't good, but someone has to buy these company's products at the same time the investors invest. If everyone just stops participating in the economy and only tries to invest, it's just as devastating as people "wasting" their money on coffee.

Also, your initial assessment is still off, it isn't a coffee a day or every other day putting people in the hole, the evidence is that older generations didn't have to give up their coffee to reach where they were at. How do you think these companies became monoliths? It wasn't the kids in diapers buying their coffee in the 80s and 90s. Also, one month of rent would be better saved and then invested than drinking coffee every single day for a year would get you in this same scenario. Again, there are bigger things happening besides "young kids should stop drinking coffee to become wealthier". Raising wages to match inflation would do better than all people below 40 stop participating in economic activity and only invest.
no where in my post did I mention buying coffee stocks. I mentionned buying ETF's, which are broad market index funds.

Less than 5% of the worlds population actively invests. 95% are consumers that have debts and no idea how to build wealth through investing. Sorry if you are one of the 95% but It really aint that hard to become the 5% my guy.

Blade2.0

no where in my post did I mention buying coffee stocks. I mentionned buying ETF's, which are broad market index funds.

Less than 5% of the worlds population actively invests. 95% are consumers that have debts and no idea how to build wealth through investing. Sorry if you are one of the 95% but It really aint that hard to become the 5% my guy.
Lol, umm if only 5% of our population invests, then it is a hard thing to be able to do. Easy shit doesn't have only 5% of humans partaking in it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
House maybe not, but avocado toast and coffee is 360 dollars every month. That's more than 4k every year. Most of people are making even more purchases like that every day. And that's not even worse case. There are people who barely can afford to live and spend all they money collecting overpriced garbage like limited edition sneakers or funko pops.

Avocado toast has entered the conversation. Are we in a facebook group o_O

"young people these days, wasting their money on coffe and food... tsk tsk shameful"

Last edited:
Starbucks burns the shit out of their beans, you can't pay me to drink their trash. Look up YouTube videos about roasting your own beans with a home roaster. Buying green coffee beans in bulk is cheaper than anything in the supermarket, and the green coffee beans practically last forever.

At $5.00 a pop you'll pay for the roaster in less than a month, and you'll get much better coffee at home.

Lasha

Starbucks burns the shit out of their beans, you can't pay me to drink their trash. Look up YouTube videos about roasting your own beans with a home roaster. Buying green coffee beans in bulk is cheaper than anything in the supermarket, and the green coffee beans practically last forever.

At $5.00 a pop you'll pay for the roaster in less than a month, and you'll get much better coffee at home.

Burnt perfectly describes American coffee. I guess the need for properly roasted beans is avoided when milk, sugar, spices, and olive oil are there to mask the taste.

Lasha

You're not wrong. I typically prefer a light to medium roast in a French Press, either hot or cold brew.
I prepare my daily coffee in the same way. The french press is optimal for breakfast with freshly ground beans. I usually take two cups with my french press at breakfast followed by one espresso during teabreak or after supper. I never put anything in my coffee though. I naturally enjoy bitter and spicy things. Adding milk or sugar dilutes the flavors I enjoy.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Is it true that there is an urban legend, that Starbucks coffee, cappuccino, extract water from franchise sewers and distill it?

🐀

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

What about the three lbs of sugar and whipped cream per coffee, have to factor that into the BOM!

kuncol02

Banned
Avocado toast has entered the conversation. Are we in a facebook group o_O

"young people these days, wasting their money on coffe and food... tsk tsk shameful"
It's not only about avocado toast (which by the way is great example of bad purchase as it require literally no skill to make and ingredients are like 1$) but about general trend of spending loads of money on unnecessary things like eating out every day or buying super expensive gaming devices like top shelf graphic cards and then crying about not having money.

Starbucks burns the shit out of their beans, you can't pay me to drink their trash.
So it's not only starbucks branded nespresso pods? They could probably fill them with burned wheat or wood and taste would not change at all.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's not only about avocado toast (which by the way is great example of bad purchase as it require literally no skill to make and ingredients are like 1$) but about general trend of spending loads of money on unnecessary things like eating out every day or buying super expensive gaming devices like top shelf graphic cards and then crying about not having money.

You have a very distorted view of the average young person.

LordOfChaos

So I'm nothing if not a man of science and I tried it this way. I...Guess I didn't hate it. Any olive flavor quickly gets covered up by the bitterness of the coffee. It just ends up being more oily and having a fuller mouthfeel mostly. Wasn't terrible but I won't make it like this again. One day I wouldn't be opposed to trying it from them. Feels like more of a "get people in the door to try something new" move than something people will have every day, but some percent of people will.

Last edited:

Dural

So, in your fictional scenario did you account for all the coffee stocks going under because no one is buying it anymore? I'm not saying investment isn't good, but someone has to buy these company's products at the same time the investors invest. If everyone just stops participating in the economy and only tries to invest, it's just as devastating as people "wasting" their money on coffee.

Also, your initial assessment is still off, it isn't a coffee a day or every other day putting people in the hole, the evidence is that older generations didn't have to give up their coffee to reach where they were at. How do you think these companies became monoliths? It wasn't the kids in diapers buying their coffee in the 80s and 90s. Also, one month of rent would be better saved and then invested than drinking coffee every single day for a year would get you in this same scenario. Again, there are bigger things happening besides "young kids should stop drinking coffee to become wealthier". Raising wages to match inflation would do better than all people below 40 stop participating in economic activity and only invest.

Yeah, the only people getting wage increases seem to be entry level positions. I make ok money, even got a promotion at the end of last year, but in the 4 years I've been at this job I haven't even hit the normal 3% cost of living increase (this includes the increase in pay for the promotion). My wife has been at her job almost 11 years, because it's a union job and they have a contract her wage increases are absolutely horrible. They're locked in to $0.50/year right now, it was lower than that before the current contract.

Blade2.0

Yeah, the only people getting wage increases seem to be entry level positions. I make ok money, even got a promotion at the end of last year, but in the 4 years I've been at this job I haven't even hit the normal 3% cost of living increase (this includes the increase in pay for the promotion). My wife has been at her job almost 11 years, because it's a union job and they have a contract her wage increases are absolutely horrible. They're locked in to $0.50/year right now, it was lower than that before the current contract.
I haven't even gotten a raise yet this year. It's bs.

Tams

Gold Member

Many actually do, just they don't think of it that way. Pension funds are massive and have quite a lot of influence too.

And that's not to mention that in quite a few countries, investing has only quite recently become readily accessible, especially on a small scale. In the UK back in 2010 I tried to invest £1k and got completely fobbed off, being told I needed at least 20k. They also didn't even mention investing in particular areas, only broad funds like Vanguard (great and all, but not what I was interested in). Brokers were charging at least £10 per trade. And here in Japan as a foreigner, pretty much all non-major investments are not available.

lachesis

Sometimes the smell/taste of extra virgin olive oil kinda urks me. Really depending on the what I'm using it though.

I mean, I had bullet proof coffee before, so maybe it would be similar. I know in some countries, they use butter on the coffee, so I guess this would be more or less healthier ver.
When I do go to Starbucks - I just tend to get a double espresso and add my own hot water if I want to go for Americano. I rarely add anything else - no sugar too - and it's the cheapest way for me...

But since beginning of pandemic, I just ended up brewing my own coffee. Got sick of instants and free office coffee... So much better and cheaper. It just takes about 10 min of my time in the morning, but it became more or less of a morning ritual at this point.

It's already damned near impossible to buy food without oil in it, now people just want to drink oil straight up?

Enjoy your future gall bladder issues.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to trying this. I can see how it could be good, and an ass explosion cleaning me out afterwards would be a bonus.

It's already damned near impossible to buy food without oil in it, now people just want to drink oil straight up?

Enjoy your future gall bladder issues.

To be fair, most of the oil people consome is like canola oil which is an industrial sludge nightmare. Olive oil is good stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom