• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Dev: "Players Are Gonna Lose Their Minds"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then they need to show us instead of hyping up their game for years without any gameplay. Devs are just setting themselves up for gamers to have unrealistic expectations.
Actual Gameplay

yrYBVNu.gif

Varteras

Gold Member
The last time I enjoyed a Bethesda game was Oblivion on 360. That was more to do with being amazed at the open world. Something I really didn't have much experience with in games at that point. I tried to like Skyrim but it just never landed with me. I also never cared much for Fallout. I'm not big into the post-nuclear apocalypse setting in games and it feeling like Elder Scrolls with guns turned me off. Now with Starfield, I love space sci-fi settings so it automatically has my attention. My hope is that it doesn't FEEL like Elder Scrolls or Fallout. I'd love for it to feel like a big departure from your typical Bethesda game.

The last time I enjoyed a Bethesda game was Oblivion on 360. That was more to do with being amazed at the open world. Something I really didn't have much experience with in games at that point. I tried to like Skyrim but it just never landed with me. I also never cared much for Fallout. I'm not big into the post-nuclear apocalypse setting in games and it feeling like Elder Scrolls with guns turned me off. Now with Starfield, I love space sci-fi settings so it automatically has my attention. My hope is that it doesn't FEEL like Elder Scrolls or Fallout. I'd love for it to feel like a big departure from your typical Bethesda game.

Its using the same engine, and they are describing it at skyrim in space so i wouldn’t expect much else

supernova8

Banned
It'll be another open world first-person game like all their other open-world first-person games. I never really got the pull of games like Skyrim so I'm assuming I won't with this either.

If the modding scene is anything like Skyrim or Fallout 4 this is an accurate statement. I expect Starfield will be a time vampire of epic proportion even without mods. If they have a version of Creation Kit for Starfield I will just hook it right to my veins.

Skyrim is one of the best game of all time so how is that a knock on Starfield?
i hope it as good as Skyrim
Why not simply read the message I quoted?

tried to like Skyrim but it just never landed with me. I also never cared much for Fallout. I'm not big into the post-nuclear apocalypse setting in games and it feeling like Elder Scrolls with guns turned me off. Now with Starfield, I love space sci-fi settings so it automatically has my attention. My hope is that it doesn't FEEL like Elder Scrolls or Fallout

Im the opposite of this i want more Hardcore RPG elements more dialogue more quest & more choices and consequences & romance and betrayal and murder
I want the full blown RPG experience where you can make your characters how you want with no strings attached

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is undoubtedly the biggest game I’m looking forward to in 2022 so I can’t wait for them to show it off.
saying that, they could slow down on talking and wait a Little over 2 months to show us.

but deffo put me in the camp that this game is going to be huge. Bigger than anything else this year imo.

Varteras

Gold Member
Im the opposite of this i want more Hardcore RPG elements more dialogue more quest & more choices and consequences & romance and betrayal and murder
I want the full blown RPG experience where you can make your characters how you want with no strings attached
I think you misunderstand me. I want those things too. I just don't want it to mechanically feel like Elder Scrolls or Fallout

I think you misunderstand me. I want those things too. I just don't want it to mechanically feel like Elder Scrolls or Fallout
Fallout 3 and New Vegas were great and 4 was still good so is Elder Scrolls 4 & 5
i don't know what you are talking about lol
Bethesda have been doing their style of open world RPG since the early 1990's if you don't like Elder Scrolls or Fallout then Starfield might not be the game for you

Last edited:

Rheon

People are so weird when it comes to Starfield lol.

Y'all are acting like this is some Cyberpunk gassing-to-the-moon type hype from the devs. I'm not really understanding the vitriol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is this game build using Creation Engine? I hope so. I know it's getting a lot of hate but I find it amazing. The fact that you can move and place objects and they stay there for the entire playthrough always blows my mind.

They nailed the Explore → Salvage → Build gameplay loop in Fallout 4.

If they can combine that with compelling quests we might have a classic in the making.

Bramble

This game has disappointment written all over it. People are overhyping this way to much and expectations are sky high. Basically everything other than it becoming an instant classic, will be a failure.

The thing that is promising with this game is that it's not for Xbox One. Put that SSD to work.

It will be interesting to see what can do with that SSD other than just faster loading times.

It still needs to run on PC's with mechanical drives. I'm pretty sure they are not gonna cut all those people out, just like that. So you're not gonna see any game design built around the SSD,

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
This is undoubtedly the biggest game I’m looking forward to in 2022 so I can’t wait for them to show it off.
saying that, they could slow down on talking and wait a Little over 2 months to show us.

but deffo put me in the camp that this game is going to be huge. Bigger than anything else this year imo.

It's probably the biggest release of this generation, or at least until Elder Scrolls VI arrives.

Topher

Gold Member
This game has disappointment written all over it. People are overhyping this way to much and expectations are sky high. Basically everything other than it becoming an instant classic, will be a failure.

Then let's hope for instant classic.

Seal Of Approval Thumbs Up GIF

Utherellus

It still needs to run on PC's with mechanical drives. I'm pretty sure they are not gonna cut all those people out, just like that. So you're not gonna see any game design built around the SSD,

1. No it does not need to run on PC's HDDs, even cross-gen games today require or "strongly recommend" SSD storage in minimum system requirements.

2. Hyping sky high? Where?
People are just hyped about Todd's new AAA epic. Like they were hyped for his previous single player games.
People remember Bethesda's pedigree.

We remember how each their game generated colossal influential waves across the industry, placed itself into pop culture and was played for a decade, shaping industry landscape.

So people are hyped that Starfield will be no different.

Bramble

Does it, though?

Do you think an SSD will be the minimum requirement and the game will not run on HDD?

It's probably the biggest release of this generation, or at least until Elder Scrolls VI arrives.

Biggest in terms of what? I you are talking about fan egagement and participation, I believe Hogwarts and Spider-Man 2 are bigger.

Then let's hope for instant classic.

Seal Of Approval Thumbs Up GIF

Absolutely. I hope they can turn the pressure into a positive thing.

1. No it does not need to run on PC's HDDs, even cross-gen games today require or "strongly recommend" SSD storage in minimum system requirements.

2. Hyping sky high? Where?
People are just hyped about Todd's new AAA epic. Like they were hyped for his previous single player games.
People remember Bethesda's pedigree.

We remember how each their game generated colossal influential waves across the industry, placed itself into pop culture and was played for a decade, shaping industry landscape.

So people are hyped that Starfield will be no different.

So you are expecting they will lock out everyone still using an HDD only? That will be interesting to see. Especially since it's a MS exclusive and day one on GP.

Where? Are you serious? I have never seen a game hyped so much, with so little that's been showed. I'm seeing twitter dudes acting like it's the next coming of Christ. So even with that pedigree, I don't get it. I love Insomniac, I love Wolverine, but I can't be hyped about it yet, when all I have is a CGI trailer. Maybe I'm just more down to earth and setting my expectations accordingly.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Biggest in terms of what? I you are talking about fan egagement and participation, I believe Hogwarts and Spider-Man 2 are bigger.
If they come out this year I still doubt it, PC on day one makes it much bigger than any console exclusive and Hogwarts doesn't even look good let alone compete with a Bethesda RPG.

knguyen

If people know better, they will not preorder this game or buy it at launch. Wait and see. This dev sounds like one of those mega churches pastors.

Utherellus

Surely not the biggest, but how on earth Spider-Man and Hogwarts could possibly top Starfield's fan engagement and participation?

Bethesda's fans stick to their games for decades,
overload fandom forums with countless threads,
make whole game-sized mods and content,
dedicate their skills to perform music from their favourite games,
publish the actual Cookbooks from their favourite universes.

I mean, the level of fan engagement, dedication and participation with Bethesda's games, has always been one of the unprecedented phenomenons of gaming industry.

Bramble

I think it's plausible, considering they're not releasing the game on old consoles.

Yeah I can't imagine that happening. Like you said they already lock out last gen players on top of PS players with the Bethesda buy out. Locking out HDD PC's will be disastrous for the player count.

If they come out this year I still doubt it, PC on day one makes it much bigger than any console exclusive and Hogwarts doesn't even look good let alone compete with a Bethesda RPG.

I think you are severely underestimating how big the Harry Potter and Spider-Man fanbase is. And I find it hilarious you somehow think Bethesda RPG's look good. Hogwarts looks more polished than most Bethesda RPG's.

But based on YouTube engagement, sorted by views:

Hogwarts Legacy reveal trailer: 12 months ago, 28 million views
Spider-Man 2 reveal trailer: 6 months ago, 22 million views
Starfield teaser trailer: 9 months ago, 16 million views (the official announcement is sitting 3.5 million and was uploaded 3 years ago)

Even God of War Ragnarok reveal trailer is already at 13 million in only 6 months.

And I get it yes, Hogwarts and Spidey are globally loved movie franchises with millions of fans not even interested in videogames, but it also shows calling Starfield a bigger release is somewhat short sighted.

MistBreeze

Im not a western RPG fan I find the gameplay on them sub par

Maybe this game will be a technical achievement considering it is next gen only so that is a plus

We need to see the game in action first if it is good then I will renew my sub just to play it

Helghan

I think you are severely underestimating how big the Harry Potter and Spider-Man fanbase is. And I find it hilarious you somehow think Bethesda RPG's look good. Hogwarts looks more polished than most Bethesda RPG's.

Starfield teaser trailer: 9 months ago, 16 million views (the official announcement is sitting 3.5 million and was uploaded 3 years ago)

Even God of War Ragnarok reveal trailer is already at 13 million in only 6 months.

And I get it yes, Hogwarts and Spidey are globally loved movie franchises with millions of fans not even interested in videogames, but it also shows calling Starfield a bigger release is somewhat short sighted.
Just look at the sales of the games then...
Spiderman - 13mil
Skyrim - 30mil
Harry Potter games - Never that much.

Last edited:

Starfield

Yeah I can't imagine that happening. Like you said they already lock out last gen players on top of PS players with the Bethesda buy out. Locking out HDD PC's will be disastrous for the player count.

cry cry.

god damnit how hard can it be to say that Starfield will be the biggest IP launch this year and possibly this generation.

People in here trying to undermine the BEHEMOTH that Bethesda Game Studios is get me laughing all the time.

Its almost dinner time folks. Get your crow forks ready!

Last edited:

WitchHunter

"Bethesda Game Studios veteran Emil Pagliarulo, who has worked at the Fallout and Elder Scrolls studio for 19 years, has shared a little more insight on Starfield. In an employee profile on Bethesda's website, the developer said the sci-fi RPG is going to offer "something really special" that will make players go wild.

"Saying you're going to create the studio’s first new IP in twenty years is one thing. Actually pulling that off, that's a different story," Pagliarulo said. "It's been so awe-inspiring watching Starfield morph into this amazing game, little by little, and with us covering SO much new ground."

vg7FYYp.gif
NFTs... or you face 12 hour (real time) travels thru the galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom