• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Dev: "Players Are Gonna Lose Their Minds"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramble

Just look at the sales of the games then...
Spiderman - 13mil
Skyrim - 30mil
Harry Potter games - Never that much.

Lol.

Spider-Man is already way over 20 million bro. It did it in 4 years and only on PlayStation: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/11/18/marvels-spider-man-ps4-sales-20-million/

Skyrim was released 11 years ago and was published across 8 different platforms (or 10 if you consider Series X, S and PS VR as seperate platforms).

That's 5 million units a year for Spider-Man on one platform (or 2 if you consider PS4 and PS5 separately) and 2.7 million a year for Skyrim across 8 platforms.

So which one is more impressive to you?

Harry Potter will easily do Spider-Man numbers.

Edit: Spider-Man released in 2017, so little correction; it's at 4 million a year. God of War 2018 is also over 20 million and released in 2018 on only 1 platform and did 5 million a year.

Edit 2: on the other hand, the above link is from 2020, so yeah it was in fact 4 years. :)

cry cry.

god damnit how hard can it be to say that Starfield will be the biggest IP launch this year and possibly this generation.

People in here trying to undermine the BEHEMOTH that Bethesda Game Studios is get me laughing all the time.

Its almost dinner time folks. Get your crow forks ready!

Lol. Look at your username and avatar dude. Biased much? What are you basing you claims on, exactly? The game will be on Game Pass day one and not even available on Xbox One. Overestimation at it's finest.

I just provided actual numbers to support my arguments. I know YouTube views are not an absolute indicator of how good a game will do, but for now it's all we have and they're really not in Starfield's favor.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Lol.

Spider-Man is already way over 20 million bro. It did it in 4 years and only on PlayStation: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/11/18/marvels-spider-man-ps4-sales-20-million/

Skyrim was released 11 years ago and was published across 8 different platforms (or 10 if you consider Series X, S and PS VR as seperate platforms).

That's 5 million units a year for Spider-Man on one platform (or 2 if you consider PS4 and PS5 separately) and 2.7 million a year for Skyrim across 8 platforms.

So which one is more impressive to you?

Harry Potter will easily do Spider-Man numbers.

Lol. Look at your username and avatar dude. Biased much? What are you basing you claims on, exactly? The game will be on Game Pass day one and not even available on Xbox One. Overestimation at it's finest.

I just provided actual numbers to support my arguments. I know YouTube views are not an absolute indicator of how good a game will do, but for now it's all we have and they're really not in Starfield's favor.
Not really trying to be a part of this argument, just wanted to say that Skyrim sold 30 million copies as of November of 2016. Number is obviously higher now.

Varteras

Gold Member
Fallout 3 and New Vegas were great and 4 was still good so is Elder Scrolls 4 & 5
i don't know what you are talking about lol
Bethesda have been doing their style of open world RPG since the early 1990's if you don't like Elder Scrolls or Fallout then Starfield might not be the game for you
My personal opinion of those games doesn't need to be qualified by you. Thanks. I didn't speak for anyone but myself. I expressed a personal thought on the setting of Fallout and how Bethesda games feel to me.

And yes, the game possibly not being for me was the whole point of my post. I'm hoping, though doubt, that the game will feel better to me than Bethesda's previous work.

Last edited:

Bramble

Not really trying to be a part of this argument, just wanted to say that Skyrim sold 30 million copies as of November of 2016. Number is obviously higher now.

Absolutely, no doubt. Spider-Man numbers are from november 2020 so also higher now. I made a small edit. Spidey released in 2017, so it's not 5 million a year, but 4. Still huge numbers.

God of War is even bigger with 20 million only on PS4 and did it in 4 years.

Utherellus

OP didn't mention this. The actual context about his statement was how devs first saw Starfield systems actually come online and look/feel good and got an wow impression.

"There comes a point when you’re working on a game, and it’s just kind of a mess, especially early on, because – news flash! – that’s what game development is. But then you get to that point where systems really start to come online, and things start to work well, and gel, and you see everything forming into the vision you had when you first started on this crazy journey. When that first happened with Starfield, it really was an, “Oh. Oh wow. Yeah. This is… something really special. Players are going to lose their minds.” Now we just have to finish it!"

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Absolutely, no doubt. Spider-Man numbers are from november 2020 so also higher now. I made a small edit. Spidey released in 2017, so it's not 5 million a year, but 4. Still huge numbers.

God of War is even bigger with 20 million only on PS4 and did it in 4 years.
With an installed base of over 120 million which PS5 will not have when Spiderman 2 arrives.
Whilst Starfield will be day one on PC before we get to Xbox and Gamepass players, some of which will be on Xbox One through streaming.

Starfield

OP didn't mention this. The actual context about his statement was how devs first saw Starfield systems actually come online and look/feel good and got an wow impression.

"There comes a point when you’re working on a game, and it’s just kind of a mess, especially early on, because – news flash! – that’s what game development is. But then you get to that point where systems really start to come online, and things start to work well, and gel, and you see everything forming into the vision you had when you first started on this crazy journey. When that first happened with Starfield, it really was an, “Oh. Oh wow. Yeah. This is… something really special. Players are going to lose their minds.” Now we just have to finish it!"
if we'd only knew what these systems were

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony guys are like Democrats they just get in a room and all show up with the same talking points huh!? 😂 still excited for starfeild let’s see if they live up to all the marketing they’ve had for this game so far.
"Marketing". I mean i's not like you've had anything else to get excited about.

A bunch of nerds in a room saying "Welcome to the constellation" - excitement. Basically some people get excited over anything 😂

Starfield

dunno where to say it so I'm saying it here:

there will be a smartphone app for Starfield. You can sync it with your Chronomark watch (if you'll have one)

DragonNCM

"Bethesda Game Studios veteran Emil Pagliarulo, who has worked at the Fallout and Elder Scrolls studio for 19 years, has shared a little more insight on Starfield. In an employee profile on Bethesda's website, the developer said the sci-fi RPG is going to offer "something really special" that will make players go wild.

"Saying you're going to create the studio’s first new IP in twenty years is one thing. Actually pulling that off, that's a different story," Pagliarulo said. "It's been so awe-inspiring watching Starfield morph into this amazing game, little by little, and with us covering SO much new ground."

vg7FYYp.gif
Less talking more gameplay...........

There's no fucking way this game is gonna make me lose my mind and I'm a big Fallout / Skyrim fan. If you take Skyrim and Fallout 4, both games shared the SAME system, even the UI is kinda the same. I'm expecting this game to be a Space Skyrim/Fallout and nothing more. That's not a bad thing. But after Elden Ring, the only game that could me make lose my mind is something from Rockstar Games, GTA VI or something.

I think ER reached a point of no return in gaming, where the industry will struggle hard to overcome it. But whatever comes, I'll be there.

Lognor

Banned
Less talking more gameplay...........
As has already been posted countless times, this is Bethesda's marketing strategy for all of their games. It's nothing new. They did the same for Skyrim, which as we all know is one of the best selling games of all time. No need for your concern. Wait until E3. You will be rewarded. Bethesda does not miss.

My personal opinion of those games doesn't need to be qualified by you. Thanks. I didn't speak for anyone but myself. I expressed a personal thought on the setting of Fallout and how Bethesda games feel to me.

And yes, the game possibly not being for me was the whole point of my post. I'm hoping, though doubt, that the game will feel better to me than Bethesda's previous work.
It seem you don't like Bethesda RPG's so why do you expect Starfield to make changes for you wile us other people love it
i think you were never gone to like it in the first place

Varteras

Gold Member
It seem you don't like Bethesda RPG's so why do you expect Starfield to make changes for you wile us other people love it
i think you were never gone to like it in the first place
There are parts of them I very much did enjoy. The exploration. The leveling system that actually rewards you for using types of skills and weapons or performing certain actions. The dialogue options and choices to make that have consequences. Those I all enjoy. The parts I don't are things like how the conversations are presented. How it feels to move about the world and engage in combat. The aesthetics and, in the case of Fallout, the setting.

Like I said, the setting of Starfield is an automatic plus for me. What I'm hoping is that it doesn't feel just the same as the other Bethesda titles. I want it to feel smoother and better presented. I'm hoping for it to feel different because I don't care what you "other people" like nor do I have to. If it doesn't, oh well. But it wouldn't be the first time a company decided to change things up if they do. Even franchises have gone through changes over time. God of War today plays nothing like earlier entries. Fallout used to be in an isometric view. Warcraft was a strategy franchise but now it's an MMORPG and it hasn't had a strategy entry since. So if beloved franchises can change and be even more popular with those changes, then why not take a shot at making a new franchise feel different from others you've worked on?

If it gets good reviews I'll drop a sub on GamePass and try it out even if it's the same old Bethesda formula. Maybe it'll win me over.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
it's the same old Bethesda formula. Maybe it'll win me over.

That's the spirit.

It's Bethesda's first big in-house RPG since 2015 and their first new IP in 25 years. I think it's safe to say they're giving it their all to it.

If nothing else, any tangential Bethesda fans ought to give it an honest shot at the very least.

kikii

Just look at the sales of the games then...
Spiderman - 13mil
Skyrim - 30mil
Harry Potter games - Never that much.
well Skyrim is on: PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S

not that i could care less :p

Varteras

Gold Member
That's the spirit.

It's Bethesda's first big in-house RPG since 2015 and their first new IP in 25 years. I think it's safe to say they're giving it their all to it.

If nothing else, any tangential Bethesda fans ought to give it an honest shot at the very least.
For sure! I certainly have an interest in the game. I put over 200 hours into Oblivion back on the 360. I loved it then. Fighting Mehrunes Dagon at the end and watching Talos kick his ass was awesome. Hell, Dagon became the name of some of my MMO characters because of that game. it's just that my tastes and expectations in games changed since then. I was never a fan of Fallout's setting and gunplay. Skyrim came out 6 years or so after Oblivion and by then I had seen and played so many other open world games that it just didn't do anything for me. That doesn't change the fact that I acknowledge that Bethesda has made what many consider to be some of the best RPGs of all time. I just want Bethesda to take the things I enjoy about their games and marry them with things I think other games do better. Because for me that would make Starfield phenomenal. But I'm still going to try the game if it looks good.

There are parts of them I very much did enjoy. The exploration. The leveling system that actually rewards you for using types of skills and weapons or performing certain actions. The dialogue options and choices to make that have consequences. Those I all enjoy. The parts I don't are things like how the conversations are presented. How it feels to move about the world and engage in combat. The aesthetics and, in the case of Fallout, the setting.

Like I said, the setting of Starfield is an automatic plus for me. What I'm hoping is that it doesn't feel just the same as the other Bethesda titles. I want it to feel smoother and better presented. I'm hoping for it to feel different because I don't care what you "other people" like nor do I have to. If it doesn't, oh well. But it wouldn't be the first time a company decided to change things up if they do. Even franchises have gone through changes over time. God of War today plays nothing like earlier entries. Fallout used to be in an isometric view. Warcraft was a strategy franchise but now it's an MMORPG and it hasn't had a strategy entry since. So if beloved franchises can change and be even more popular with those changes, then why not take a shot at making a new franchise feel different from others you've worked on?

If it gets good reviews I'll drop a sub on GamePass and try it out even if it's the same old Bethesda formula. Maybe it'll win me over.
Let me get this straight so you don't like Fallout settings? and you want it to go back to the top down fallout style of the 1990's ? what? Fallout going 1st/3rd person was the best thing ever
You also said you don't like Elder Scrolls conversations? BUT ES conversations are great and funny
the ES combat i agree with you though combat needs to get better
and the aesthetics of a Bethesda Open World are unmatch to this day no one make a open world RPG like Bethesda they are 1 of the very best at it

Varteras

Gold Member
Let me get this straight so you don't like Fallout settings? and you want it to go back to the top down fallout style of the 1990's ? what? Fallout going 1st/3rd person was the best thing ever
You also said you don't like Elder Scrolls conversations? BUT ES conversations are great and funny
the ES combat i agree with you though combat needs to get better
and the aesthetics of a Bethesda Open World are unmatch to this day no one make a open world RPG like Bethesda they are 1 of the very best at it
You're having a real hard time grasping things. At no point did I say I wanted Fallout to go back to its old style. Nor did I say Elder Scrolls, or any Bethesda game for that matter, didn't have good conversations. I just didn't like the way they were presented visually. It's very stiff.

Fallout being an isometric view and now not anymore was something I pointed out as a change the franchise made from what it always had been. That changes to these long running franchises have proven far more popular than what they originally were. As was the case for God of War and Warcraft. Which is why I think it would be a good idea for Bethesda to try and switch things up for Starfield. To improve its presentation and moment-to-moment gameplay feel.

The aesthetics being good or bad is purely subjective. You can't quantify or qualify that. Just as you can't tell someone they're wrong for liking one form of music over another. Bethesda's art style doesn't appeal to me. Which isn't an automatic deal breaker for me as I can overlook the art of Final Fantasy 14 in favor of its story and group gameplay. I greatly prefer that of Warcraft instead.

Rippa

I’ll lose my mind if it’s a third-person game.

It’ll be a No-go for me if it’s yet another FPS with the floating hands/guns on the sides of my screen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It’ll be a No-go for me if it’s yet another FPS with the floating hands/guns on the sides of my screen.

99% likely this will be a first person game with a meh third person mode like their last few games. Don't expect anything different lol.

"Saying you're going to create the studio’s first new IP in twenty years is one thing. Actually pulling that off, that's a different story," Pagliarulo said. "It's been so awe-inspiring watching Starfield morph into this amazing game, little by little, and with us covering SO much new ground."

vg7FYYp.gif

And with an INFINITE amount of bugs....

Mess

BGS are the literal kings of world design. I think they gonna be fine

Talk about hyperbole when the last outstanding world design is Morrowind that came out 20 years ago. They have done decent worlds since but there's been a tendency with oblivion and skyrim to go the safe (read: shallow) route. And Skyrim's success proved them right I guess. But it's hard for the OG Bethesda fans who grew up with Daggerfall and Morrowind to get hyped anymore I guess.

Hopefully Starfield being a new franchise they will take more risk on this one...

Starfield

Talk about hyperbole when the last outstanding world design is Morrowind that came out 20 years ago. They have done decent worlds since but there's been a tendency with oblivion and skyrim to go the safe (read: shallow) route. And Skyrim's success proved them right I guess. But it's hard for the OG Bethesda fans who grew up with Daggerfall and Morrowind to get hyped anymore I guess.

Hopefully Starfield being a new franchise they will take more risk on this one...
How am I hyperboling here? The first thing that people bring up with bgs is their world design and thats what sets them apart from other developers because they're able to build such immersive worlds for you to get lost in which no competitor can pull off. They provide the world and the fans/players tell their own stories in it.
Thats the reason why Skyrim has still more players than 99% of single player games AND multiplayer games nowadays.

and not just Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, even Fallout 76. All these worlds are the USP of the BGS staple.

But I guess you'd downplay everything bgs does

I grew up with Morrowind and BGS still has the best worlds to explore even today (allthough I'd say Elden Ring just came really close)

Last edited:

Starfield

dWEafbd.png

Starfield will have a 3rd person mode:

X0JO7Mo.jpg

and a 1st person mode.

Source: me

The UI looks slightly different now though (Well, its been 3-4 years) but its still has this general round watch-based shape.

Last edited:

Mess

How am I hyperboling here? The first thing that people bring up with bgs is their world design and thats what sets them apart from other developers because they're able to build such immersive worlds for you to get lost in which no competitor can pull off. They provide the world and the fans/players tell their own stories in it.
Thats the reason why Skyrim has still more players than 99% of single player games AND multiplayer games nowadays.

and not just Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, even Fallout 76. All these worlds are the USP of the BGS staple.

But I guess you'd downplay everything bgs does

I grew up with Morrowind and BGS still has the best worlds to explore even today (allthough I'd say Elden Ring just came really close)

You're doing your name and employer proud mate, keep up the good work.

Starfield

You're doing your name and employer proud mate, keep up the good work.
What do you expect me to do? You're in my turf here. I've been waiting for this game since 2014. I was DEVASTATED when Fallout 76 was announced instead of Starfield releasing first. There is nothing else I'm excited about anymore. Thats the only game. The only game in my life where I'll feel the BIG hype we've felt when we were kids.

I don't care about anything else anymore. Not even TES Vl can me hype that much.

Last edited:

Mess

What do you expect me to do? You're in my turf here. I've been waiting for this game since 2014. I was DEVASTATED when Fallout 76 was announced instead of Starfield releasing first. There is nothing else I'm excited about anymore. Thats the only game. The only game in my life where I'll feel the BIG hype we've felt when we were kids.

I don't care about anything else anymore. Not even TES Vl can me hype that much.

Fair enough. Wishing you (and all of us) that Starfield is the masterpiece you're expecting :messenger_smiling:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Have you never ever played a Bethesda game? Its both, you choose if you want to play first person or third person. The third person has ussually been sub par, but mods have completely fixed that for the latest games. Skryim has an amazing third person combat mod that makes it feel like a legit modern third person game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom