• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Dev: "Players Are Gonna Lose Their Minds"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozriel

M$FT
"Marketing". I mean i's not like you've had anything else to get excited about.

A bunch of nerds in a room saying "Welcome to the constellation" - excitement. Basically some people get excited over anything 😂

You're one to talk. You got excited over a CGI trailer of Wolverine.

I remember when cyberpunk devs overhyped their game.. Lets wait for release shall we

Apparently, all the other games that launched properly and hit their high notes don't count. Every game has to be likened to Cyberpunk 2077.

Shubh_C63

I got my feet firmly on the ground now.

Hype is gonna kill this game like CP77. If their "SPACE" is just a pretty skybox with Fallout and a cool looking planet loading screen then wow!

Seamless planet to planet travel is the least least what's required.

Topher

Gold Member
To all younglings, whining about gameplay

hX6BdOuKNtY.jpg

When was the last time Bethesda showed gameplay earlier than E3 of that same release year?

Skyrim....February 2011

Last edited:

Utherellus

Skyrim....February 2011

I meant deep dive into gameplay, direct footage, not HUD-less action packaged as a cinematic trailer.
A recording of person playing the game. It happened at E3 2011 for Skyrim, and got released few months later.

After that Todd Howard announced Fallout 4 at E3 2015, showed gameplay deep dive and released game few months later.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I meant deep dive into gameplay, direct footage, not HUD-less action packaged as a cinematic trailer.
A recording of person playing the game. It happened at E3 2011 for Skyrim, and got released few months later.

After that Todd Howard announced Fallout 4 at E3 2015, showed gameplay deep dive and released game few months later.

Yeah....no deep dive in the trailer I posted, but there was definitely gameplay footage. I don't think anyone is asking for a "deep dive" at this point, but something similar to that Skyrim trailer would be nice to see.

Fredrik

I got my feet firmly on the ground now.

Hype is gonna kill this game like CP77. If their "SPACE" is just a pretty skybox with Fallout and a cool looking planet loading screen then wow!

Seamless planet to planet travel is the least least what's required.
It’s supposedly grounded in reality so I don’t know if realtime space travel is a good idea…

It would be cool if we could land, dock, take-off though.

But I think it’ll be like The Outer Worlds and Mass Effect. Fast travel with a cutscene.

Hopefully there is lots of exploration rewards at least. Elden Ring has spoiled us with content and showed what can ve done on open maps, Bethesda has a lot to prove now.

Catphish

If ever there was a game that deserved a wait-and-see approach, it's this one.

I was hyped for Skyrim. I was hyped for Fallout 4. And because of the states that both of those games shipped in (and don't get forget Fallout76), I have zero hype for this game.

I will wait for release, check reviews about two weeks after, and see what people have to say.

No. way. in. hell. would I pre-purchase this game or buy it on day 1, and anyone who does deserves exactly what they get.

If ever there was a game that deserved a wait-and-see approach, it's this one.

I was hyped for Skyrim. I was hyped for Fallout 4. And because of the states that both of those games shipped in (and don't get forget Fallout76), I have zero hype for this game.

I will wait for release, check reviews about two weeks after, and see what people have to say.

No. way. in. hell. would I pre-purchase this game or buy it on day 1, and anyone who does deserves exactly what they get.
If anyone "pre-purchases" or buys Starfield day one they're an idiot, considering it'll essentially be free on Gamepass

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
dWEafbd.png

Starfield will have a 3rd person mode:

X0JO7Mo.jpg

and a 1st person mode.

Source: me

The UI looks slightly different now though (Well, its been 3-4 years) but its still has this general round watch-based shape.
Looks sweet.

I'm a first person gamer. Includes racing games too. Good to see both 1st and 3rd person views. Win win! Seemed expected though. ES and Fallout have both.

Last edited:

Rippa

Have you never ever played a Bethesda game? Its both, you choose if you want to play first person or third person. The third person has ussually been sub par, but mods have completely fixed that for the latest games. Skryim has an amazing third person combat mod that makes it feel like a legit modern third person game.

Actually I have played Bethesda games with the most recent being The Evil Within 2 which was third-person. That game is unlike their typical FPS games that have a third-person option.

The third person option in their FPS games seemed tacked on, like an after-thought. Pay attention to the animations and how it looks like the characters are running in place or on a treadmill when they’re traversing the land.

It’s shit and it always has been.

If Starfield is created as an FPS first with a TPS option, I will NOT be losing my mind for anything because it’ll be the same shit over again.

Edit: I couldn’t care less about mods as I don’t game on PC. I’d rather have the official developers properly develop a third-person adventure game.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If the game doesn't live up to the hype, this is the kind of statement gamers will use as ammunition.

Who cares, really? It’s a bit Bit Shitty of folks to be critical of a creative being excited about what they’re making.

If the game releases subpar, critics will have a field day irrespective of whether or not a dev made positive comments about their game.

Topher

Gold Member
You're right, we literally don't know anything about Wolverine beyond a few seconds long CG trailer.

Which was revealed a few months ago, not a few years ago. And yeah, if we get to this point before Wolverine's release and we have seen as little of it as we have seen Starfield then folks will be rightfully pissed.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Which was revealed a few months ago, not a few years ago. And yeah, if we get to this point before Wolverine's release and we have seen as little of it as we have seen Starfield then folks will be rightfully pissed.

Haven't people posted enough times how the last few Bethesda RPGs also had their game play reveals and releases in a similar window as we're expecting for Starfield with this E3 window and it's projected November release ?

The only difference is that any time someone from Bethesda talks about the game, people latch onto it with the kind of vitriol none of their games have previously seen.

I wonder what's different between then and now :pie_thinking: Surely it can't be .. naah ..

Last edited:

reksveks

There is no real reason people should be rightfully pissed imo. If you haven't spent money on a product, you shouldn't really care about it. I don't understand why people care about what is effectively advertising at this moment.

If you (generally) bought an series x based on Starfield, I think that's a personal issue. Why are people buying products based on promises?

Ozriel

M$FT
I've got a a gaming PC you clown 🤡

Imagine getting a boner about game you know virtually nothing about though 😅

Via blog posts, E3 trailer, dev diaries and concept art, we know quite a fair bit about Starfield. Lol @ 'virtually nothing'

Ah. I forgot. You're so threatened by the possibility that the game could be great that you've been trolling every Starfield thread instead of paying attention.

It's going to be a tough gen for you, that's for sure 😂

Ozriel

M$FT

Care to Show proof you've pre-ordered Starfield already?

Because that probably the only remotely sane reason for anyone to be 'pissed' that the pre-release marketing schedule doesn't align with their wishes.

Topher

Gold Member
Haven't people posted enough times how the last few Bethesda RPGs also had their game play reveals and releases in a similar window as we're expecting for Starfield with this E3 window and it's projected November release ?

The only difference is that any time someone from Bethesda talks about the game, people latch onto it with the kind of vitriol none of their games have previously seen.

I wonder what's different between then and now :pie_thinking: Surely it can't be .. naah ..

There was no "similar window". I think Fallout 4 and 76 were announced/revealed/released in a similar fashion, but Skyrim certainly was not and Starfield being announced four years ago certainly was not.

Either way, comparing this to Wolverine is absurd.

There is no real reason people should be rightfully pissed imo. If you haven't spent money on a product, you shouldn't really care about it. I don't understand why people care about what is effectively advertising at this moment.

If you (generally) bought an series x based on Starfield, I think that's a personal issue. Why are people buying products based on promises?

Ok...."pissed" isn't the right word, I'll give you that. Let's say "impatient" then. People look forward to games and yes, they did invest in hardware for the "promise" of those games. I think if Starfield actually had followed the same pattern that Fallout 4 and 76 did then it wouldn't be an issue, but I know I was excited about the game when it was revealed four years ago. It has just been a long damn time to see next to nothing.

Care to Show proof you've pre-ordered Starfield already?

Because that probably the only remotely sane reason for anyone to be 'pissed' that the pre-release marketing schedule doesn't align with their wishes.

Why would I pre-order the game? I have Game Pass. As I just said, "pissed" wasn't the correct word.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Skyrim....February 2011

Fallout 4 is the better, and more recent, example. I don't think we saw anything of that game until E3 of the release year. Looks like Bethesda is doing the same with Starfield. Not too much longer of a wait...I know E3 doesn't exist this year, but Microsoft will still have their show at the beginning of June. Only 2 months to go!

Topher

Gold Member
Fallout 4 is the better, and more recent, example. I don't think we saw anything of that game until E3 of the release year. Looks like Bethesda is doing the same with Starfield. Not too much longer of a wait...I know E3 doesn't exist this year, but Microsoft will still have their show at the beginning of June. Only 2 months to go!

Fallout 4 was announced and revealed at the same time and released the same year. That shocked most people because it very rare schedule. Not the same as Starfield. Now that E3 is cancelled, I'm hoping Microsoft moves this game play reveal up. I know I'm being impatient, but I really want to see this game and start getting my head wrapped around what it really is.

reksveks

Ok...."pissed" isn't the right word, I'll give you that. Let's say "impatient" then. People look forward to games and yes, they did invest in hardware for the "promise" of those games. I think if Starfield actually had followed the same pattern that Fallout 4 and 76 did then it wouldn't be an issue, but I know I was excited about the game when it was revealed four years ago.
I get it but the only thing that really matters is the end product so that's what we should be judging as consumers. Everything up to that point is nice but nothing worth getting negatively emotional about. I think it's like getting annoyed by the lack of an advert/movie trailer, its weird and that trailer ultimately shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the end product. I would tell people getting annoyed by the lack of a gameplay trailer to just mute/block the words Starfield in the short term and get back to it when it gets releases.

Also buying a console/mobile/pc/hardware platform should only be done based on what you can do with it now, hopefully we can agree on that?

I like hype and i get disappointed by end products like all people but i know that's a me issue.

Lognor

Banned
Fallout 4 was announced and revealed at the same time and released the same year. That shocked most people because it very rare schedule. Not the same as Starfield. Now that E3 is cancelled, I'm hoping Microsoft moves this game play reveal up. I know I'm being impatient, but I really want to see this game and start getting my head wrapped around what it really is.
Yeah, but Fallout 4 was the most recent major BGS release. If you want to include Fallout 76, it was the same marketing schedule. The first major reveal at E3 of its release year. With Fallout 76 it looks like they did a short teaser in May of that year. But when comparing Starfield to these two games, the marketing cycle is very similar. You will get a major blowout in June.

I doubt Bethesda could move things up even if they wanted to at this point. They have their schedules and with E3 just recently being canceled, it is not enough time to make any major shifts. And again, it's only two more months.

Alebrije

I hope the hand od Microsoft is involved on Starfield because Bethesda alone is no guarantee that the game will be o.k. the contrary ...never forget :

images

Topher

Gold Member
I get it but the only thing that really matters is the end product so that's what we should be judging as consumers. Everything up to that point is nice but nothing worth getting negatively emotional about. I think it's like getting annoyed by the lack of an advert/movie trailer, its weird and that trailer ultimately shouldn't impact your enjoyment of the end product. I would tell people getting annoyed by the lack of a gameplay trailer to just mute/block the words Starfield in the short term and get back to it when it gets releases.

Also buying a console/mobile/pc/hardware platform should only be done based on what you can do with it now, hopefully we can agree on that?

I like hype and i get disappointed by end products like all people but i know that's a me issue.

We are at the point where folks are pulling sentences from Bethesda employees profiles. Pretty much says folks are truly desperate for info on this game to me so I'm not alone. I think the hype build-up has gone far enough personally. There will be no E3 so there is nothing stopping Bethesda from unwrapping this thing.

Sorry, but I can't agree that consoles purchases "should only be done based on what you can do with it now". Gaming hardware is an investment for the entire generation. It is for me, at least.

And yeah, this is probably a me issue as well. I know that. I was a huge Skyrim fan and I love space games. I was hyped from the word go.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Via blog posts, E3 trailer, dev diaries and concept art, we know quite a fair bit about Starfield. Lol @ 'virtually nothing'

Ah. I forgot. You're so threatened by the possibility that the game could be great that you've been trolling every Starfield thread instead of paying attention.

It's going to be a tough gen for you, that's for sure 😂
Dev diaries ffs 😄

It's gonna be a long gen for you, waiting for all these game to appear...in 2025. Meanwhile as PS5 and PC owner I can look forward to everything 😎

Ozriel

M$FT
Dev diaries ffs 😄

It's gonna be a long gen for you, waiting for all these game to appear...in 2025. Meanwhile as PS5 and PC owner I can look forward to everything 😎

Lmao. Please. I own a launch PS5, a Switch, a Series X and picked up a 3070 laptop a couple of months ago.

See why I don’t have to troll in threads about games like you? i don’t have to wait for anything at all.

That said, Starfield comes out this year, and there’s a packed slate of games scheduled for Gamepass in 2022 and 2023. First and third party.

Ozriel

M$FT
We are at the point where folks are pulling sentences from Bethesda employees profiles. Pretty much says folks are truly desperate for info on this game to me so I'm not alone. I think the hype build-up has gone far enough personally. There will be no E3 so there is nothing stopping Bethesda from unwrapping this thing.

Sorry, but I can't agree that consoles "should only be done based on what you can do with it now". Gaming hardware is an investment for the entire generation. It is for me, at least.

And yeah, this is probably a me issue as well. I know that. I was a huge Skyrim fan and I love space games. I was hyped from the word go.

Yeah, but In every single thread about this game, there’s folks reminding you that historically, Bethesda does their deep dives relatively close to reveal. It’s something you’re well aware of now.

Knowing this and continuing to pop into every Starfield thread that doesn’t have gameplay and bitching about a lack of gameplay is completely strange.

It kinda feels strange that nobody seems concerned about ripping devs words when it comes to things that can be spun negatively for MS. We had a dev give a Spanish interview talking about how Playground was being deliberate about working on Fable. Nobody had issues using a poor Google translate to spin that into ’concern’ about Fable.
Now there’s some positive talk from a Starfield dev, it’s met with jeers and derision.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, but In every single thread about this game, there’s folks reminding you that historically, Bethesda does their deep dives relatively close to reveal. It’s something you’re well aware of now.

Knowing this and continuing to pop into every Starfield thread that doesn’t have gameplay and bitching about a lack of gameplay is completely strange.

I never asked or a "deep dive". Something similar to that Skyrim trailer I posted would do just fine right now. If you don't like that I think we should have had something like that by now then oh well. We just disagree. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Lmao. Please. I own a launch PS5, a Switch, a Series X and picked up a 3070 laptop a couple of months ago.

See why I don’t have to troll in threads about games like you? i don’t have to wait for anything at all.

That said, Starfield comes out this year, and there’s a packed slate of games scheduled for Gamepass in 2022 and 2023. First and third party.
No one's trolling anything. As mentioned by a lot of people, no game footage has been shown for a game announced years ago. You're just being a sensitive man-baby.

Hype it up all you want. The fact is, hype is what you're mostly relying on.

Good to know Microsoft is keeping you in the loop as regard GamePass for the rest of the year and next year though 😁

Ozriel

M$FT
No one's trolling anything. As mentioned by a lot of people, no game footage has been shown for a game announced years ago. You're just being a sensitive man-baby.

As others noted, we had no footage for Elden Ring until 8 months to release.

For some strange reason, we didn’t have folks bleating about Gameplay all the time. I wonder why…

I’m pretty sure most folks who are excited are largely relying on Bethesda’s history of making expansive RPGs.
Absolutely not surprised people are hyped for what they’re pitching as their magnum opus.

Good to know Microsoft is keeping you in the loop as regard GamePass for the rest of the year and next year though 😁

Absolutely. We just had Crusader Kings 3 show up. MLB the Show pops up in days. Battlefield 2042 and FIFA 22 show up in a few months via EA Play. Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport are lined up for 2022. As is Replaced, Scorn, Atomic Heart and many others from ID @ Xbox. Avowed, Hellblade 2 and likely Fable for 2023, among other unannounced titles and stuff with release dates to confirm. There’s a lot of stuff to work through.

In the meantime, because I’m not an insecure fanboy, I’m currently working through Horizon Forbidden West and will happily play Returnal now it’s coming to a subscription service.

Fredrik

Not free for steam users.
I am going to buy it for my steam.

Don't care about the gamepass version. Bethesda games, are pc games. And they shine with mods.
Yeah this is me too. Would’ve been cool to play on PC and Xbox Series X with the same save but Gamepass is too limited for mods. And I’m hopefull we’ll somehow get Starfield running in VR on Quest 2 through Steam VR.

Games are hyped up without gameplay shown all the time, it happens everytime there is talk about new games or IPs from Retro Studios, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Playground, Kojima, etc, sometimes there is a prerendered movie shown, sometimes it’s enough with a logo (Metroid Prime 4) or a rumour (Silent Hill).
What annoys me with Starfield is that the marketing has kinda started but they’re drip feeding us with mostly annoying nonsense. I think they should open the lid, especially now that E3 is cancelled.

Hezekiah

Banned
Absolutely. We just had Crusader Kings 3 show up. MLB the Show pops up in days. Battlefield 2042 and FIFA 22 show up in a few months via EA Play. Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport are lined up for 2022. As is Replaced, Scorn, Atomic Heart and many others from ID @ Xbox. Avowed, Hellblade 2 and likely Fable for 2023, among other unannounced titles and stuff with release dates to confirm. There’s a lot of stuff to work through.

In the meantime, because I’m not an insecure fanboy, I’m currently working through Horizon Forbidden West and will happily play Returnal now it’s coming to a subscription service.
Basically a whole lot of guesswork. You're talking about 2023 with absolute authority when you have no idea what's coming to GamePass.

Fable coming in 2023 😁😁
Hellblade is likely coming in 2023 when the devs havent indicated anything regarding the release date. Sure OK lol.

Redfall is getting delayed - another game which has zero gameplay footage.

I'm glad you can play Returnal now it's on a subscription service. Bravo 😄

adamsapple

Basically a whole lot of guesswork. You're talking about 2023 with absolute authority when you have no idea what's coming to GamePass

Everything is guess work until officially confirmed. We know there's more first party projects in development for Xbox right now than all of MS's output on XBO and 360.

So, yeah, it's great for fans that MS has been able to keep peoples attention for the rest of this year and beyond. No one's realistically expecting MS to release all their projects in the next quarter.

adamsapple

Redfall has been in beta since last September, we have seen gameplay footage.

I have very little faith it's going to meet the "Summer" release date, most likely it'll get pushed to Fall or beyond.

Ozriel

M$FT
I never asked or a "deep dive". Something similar to that Skyrim trailer I posted would do just fine right now. If you don't like that I think we should have had something like that by now then oh well. We just disagree. I'm fine with that.

But That Skyrim trailer showed off some environments and some general combat against monsters. Nothing in much greater detail than you’d get from blog posts. Yes, it helps to build hype and it helps to give you some indication of the visual quality, but for real in depth impressions, the deep dives Bethesda gives are much better suited for that.

You said you like space games but have made little attempt to engage on the in-game trailer or even the snippets in the dev diaries. The concept images thread? jeers from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom