• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield developers aiming for a game with a "vision of a future that’s grounded in reality

kuncol02

Banned
It’s possible the trailer was set in the past?
Definitely, you’re right that FTL travel is essential for moving across multiple solar systems.
Warpgates, wormholes, jump ships. There are tons of ways of traveling across multiple solar systems without equipping every ship with warp drives.

Warpgates, wormholes, jump ships. There are tons of ways of traveling across multiple solar systems without equipping every ship with warp drives.

If they're going with a "grounded" setting then only the wormholes make sense, but that only solves intersteller travel.

Last edited:
We know FTL exists in Starfield since it takes place in multiple systems, so I'm expecting Expanse-level tech if they're going for hard sci-fi. No magic artificial gravity, linear thrust torch ships or centrifugal O'Neill cylinder habitats. Mature fusion power instead of more exotic tropes. FTL will likely be the only 'magic' tech involving wormhole tunneling or something else that can be handwaved away to make it gel with the rest of the more grounded tech.

Also, the inside of a big O'Neil cylinder would be fucking bad-ass as a setting, imagine looking up, and seeing a massive city off in the distance. Like if you took the entire Skyrim map, and met the north and south ends of the map with each other.

We know FTL exists in Starfield since it takes place in multiple systems, so I'm expecting Expanse-level tech if they're going for hard sci-fi. No magic artificial gravity, linear thrust torch ships or centrifugal O'Neill cylinder habitats. Mature fusion power instead of more exotic tropes. FTL will likely be the only 'magic' tech involving wormhole tunneling or something else that can be handwaved away to make it gel with the rest of the more grounded tech.

Also, the inside of a big O'Neil cylinder would be fucking bad-ass as a setting, imagine looking up, and seeing a massive city off in the distance. Like if you took the entire Skyrim map, and met the north and south ends of the map with each other.

The other option is "found technology" like Mass Effect where humans stumble across alien devices that do the heavy lifting for interstellar flight.

In Mass Effect humanity found the relay in our solar system and even their crappy ships could travel across the galaxy. Even a tin can propelled by a whoopee cushion can use a relay as long as it can communicate with it. Starfield could have something similar that works in-system too.

The other option is Bethesda just says it works and never explains how. In the Fallout timeline the transistor was not invented in 1948 but they have sentient butler robots by 2077.

Dolomite

Lol the concern trolling is delicious. "It looks sterile" how? we haven't seen any gameplay.

"It will get delayed, where's the gameplay" elden ring gave us one trailer a yr before launch😂

"It'll be buggy" it's Bethesda folks, water is wet. Buggy ass skyrim is on a 11 yr streak and still has an absurd amount of active players

KungFucius

King Snowflake
NASA Punk.
Cost overruns and delays that last a decade.
Will take forever to launch your character anywhere and you will have to pay through the nose to do something that humanity could do 60 years prior with less tech.
I hope you didn't pay for an education that made you so ignorant. NASA just launched the most advanced telescope ever. These projects are extremely challenging and have no luxury of being fully tested and iterated. The experts who work their asses off so that we can explore space deserve more than some asshole shitting all over them out of anti-science bigotry and ignorance.

Life

The thread is about clinging to roots of realism for 300+ years in the future, not ‘over ambition’.

You really should use words and phrases you understand.

You really should try harder if you intend to belittle and insult.

Starfield

Lol the concern trolling is delicious. "It looks sterile" how? we haven't seen any gameplay.

"It will get delayed, where's the gameplay" elden ring gave us one trailer a yr before launch😂

"It'll be buggy" it's Bethesda folks, water is wet. Buggy ass skyrim is on a 11 yr streak and still has an absurd amount of active players
about that sterile thing:

Starfield_Neon.jpg

how does that look "sterile"?

Killer8

It's an experience that's "grounded in reality" they say, as you fumble your way through the pronouns screen.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Another transit method, how about Battletech's Jumpships? I think such a method would work better than Warp or Hyperspace for the idea of a "grounded" space tech game... :eek:

hlm666

I am really hoping they have a couple of derelict vessel missions/locations riffing on event horizon, alien, pandorum or some other cosmic horror themes. They have had places like that in the fallout games and they are generally my favourite places to find/explore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good to me.

I'd rather take Star Wars' down and dirty vibe with aliens that speak alien, than Star Trek's high brow "press a button and everything is done for you" setting where there's teleporters, computers make food out of thin air, aliens all speak english and look like humans but with a horn.

Last edited:

Neolombax

The art direction for this game looks really really good, I like it very much. But I wonder what will the game be about? Is it No Man's Sky with better graphics? Or is there a story driven quest set in a really big sandbox? Really jealous this isn't coming to Playstation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The art direction for this game looks really really good, I like it very much. But I wonder what will the game be about? Is it No Man's Sky with better graphics? Or is there a story driven quest set in a really big sandbox? Really jealous this isn't coming to Playstation.
Concept art is awesome, but given what Starfield seems to be, it'll be realistic looking as opposed to that painterly/pastel artwork.

Maybe it's impossible to do, but I'm waiting for an RPG that actually looks like these concept drawings artists make, but never seem to make to actual games.

Will this game have space missions like flying? Can you actually fly your ship or is it more of click where you want to go and watch cut scene?

Does it have planet exploration or is it more limited to settlements cities. I would really like a game that's a mix between no man's sky and Skyrim... Aka: free roam exploration and planet wide exploration, but carefully crafted mega cities with decent story.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Will this game have space missions like flying? Can you actually fly your ship or is it more of click where you want to go and watch cut scene?

Does it have planet exploration or is it more limited to settlements cities. I would really like a game that's a mix between no man's sky and Skyrim... Aka: free roam exploration and planet wide exploration, but carefully crafted mega cities with decent story.
No hard confirmation yet. Everyone outside BGS know VERY little about the game. Let me say this though; I think many of us would be very surprised if we didn't end up getting to pilot a ship at least in some form. In my opinion there's several suggestion/references to this in the trailers which would be crazy odd to include if it was just about watching cutscenes of flying them in the game. I'm not sure about ship combat, but my minimal expectation is that we'll be able to command a ship between locations and to use it as a base when exploring planets together with our robot companions. We'll see..

Last edited:

Markio128

No hard confirmation yet. Everyone outside BGS know VERY little about the game. Let me say this though; I think many of us would be very surprised if we didn't end up getting to pilot a ship at least in some form. In my opinion there's several suggestion/references to this in the trailers which would be crazy odd to include if it was just about watching cutscenes of flying them in the game. I'm not sure about ship combat, but my minimal expectation is that we'll be able to command a ship between locations and to use it as a base when exploring planets together with our robot companions. We'll see..
A mix of No man’s Sky and Skyrim sounds about right, obviously without the seemingly endless galaxies of NMS. The only issue I can see with full planet exploration is filling it with interesting stuff to do. I have a feeling we will be limited to exploring certain areas of the planets; cities, settlements, etc., who knows? I’m not going to set the bar too high in my own head because that is just asking for disappointment.

Top Bottom