• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is in a state where it can be played from start to finish

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
IGN:

FDxvR2yWUAEyh7h

"[Starfield] is in a state where we can play the whole game, but there's so much to do, it's a very, very ambitious game, and we're not going to let off the gas there."
- Bethesda director Todd Howard

Full interview:

Last edited:

Vagswarm

That's good news but not that big of a deal when you consider how massive their games are on just about every level

If you were genuinely asking its because I’ve seen damn near every AAA game (and non-AAA game, but especially major game) get a significant delay for the past year. I don’t think putting a time table on a launch of a game a year and half out is realistic.

Pretty much every big game launch this year was delayed almost a full year

If they are hard pressed to launch on that day no matter what, then i don’t have much confidence it won’t launch like a lot of their other games.

Last edited:
If you were genuinely asking its because I’ve seen damn near every AAA game (and non-AAA game, but especially major game) get a significant delay for the past year. I don’t think putting a time table on a launch of a game a year and half out is realistic.

If they are hard pressed to launch on that day no matter what, then i don’t have much confidence it won’t launch like a lot of their other games.

Nobody knows how far along the game was when they officially announced it. According to Bethesda themselves Starfield has been in the works for a long time. Whether or not that's true, who knows as Todd has a history of the odd lie here and there and everywhere. For the time being though all we have to go on is what they have told us which is that the game has been in development for a very long time, and that it's already in a fully playable state start to finish. Hopefully that means a year of polishing for a bug-free release (it's Bethesda, I won't hold my breath), but "played start to finish" could also mean they are just getting started on the side quests and everything is t-poses and no textures (The in-engine trailer suggests they've been doing some texture work and animation at least). Nobody knows.

The trailer they showed at E3 a year and a half before the game launches was running in-engine using in-game assets so they have advanced at least that far. This is by far the most notice Bethesda has given for a launch date for one of their big games. They historically have shown gameplay from their big games at E3 and launched them that fall. Only a few cases were announced sooner than that and those were done with teasers like Skyrim a year before launch. Only a few of their games were ever delayed and they have stuck to this way of delivering their big titles for almost 20 years.

I’m sure it is in theory, just like all of their other games.

I bought Fallout 4 recently 6 years after release and had to use the console to fix broken or stuck quest progression multiple times within the first 10 hours, including in the main quest, and that’s on top of countless other bugs and issues. Did you know load times are tied to the frame rate in this game? What the fuck? Who even comes up with this shit?

I’m sure it is in theory, just like all of their other games.

I bought Fallout 4 recently 6 years after release and had to use the console to fix broken or stuck quest progression multiple times within the first 10 hours, including in the main quest, and that’s on top of countless other bugs and issues. Did you know load times are tied to the frame rate in this game? What the fuck? Who even comes up with this shit?

Download the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch. It fixes basically every bug in the entire game, when the mod creators got done they started fixing typos.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That’s good, hopefully it’ll mean they’ll be able to play it a lot next year and iron out most bugs.

Nobody knows how far along the game was when they officially announced it. According to Bethesda themselves Starfield has been in the works for a long time. Whether or not that's true, who knows as Todd has a history of the odd lie here and there and everywhere. For the time being though all we have to go on is what they have told us which is that the game has been in development for a very long time, and that it's already in a fully playable state start to finish. Hopefully that means a year of polishing for a bug-free release (it's Bethesda, I won't hold my breath), but "played start to finish" could also mean they are just getting started on the side quests and everything is t-poses and no textures (The in-engine trailer suggests they've been doing some texture work and animation at least). Nobody knows.

The trailer they showed at E3 a year and a half before the game launches was running in-engine using in-game assets so they have advanced at least that far. This is by far the most notice Bethesda has given for a launch date for one of their big games. They historically have shown gameplay from their big games at E3 and launched them that fall. Only a few cases were announced sooner than that and those were done with teasers like Skyrim a year before launch. Only a few of their games were ever delayed and they have stuck to this way of delivering their big titles for almost 20 years.

Im also going based off Schriere’s tweet that said they were planning on leaving early alpha by the end of summer, which it looks like they have. But like you said having a game playable from star to finish could really mean anything, it could be the basic skeleton of the game.

I remember hearing the same thing about cyberpunk in 2018.

Ozriel

M$FT

Pretty much every big game launch this year was delayed almost a full year

They announced the launch date in June 2021. Most games that had delays had their launch dates/windows announced MUCH a earlier, often before or during the dark days of the pandemic.
Given that Todd says the date is ‘written in ink’, given that the date is more driven by the 11/11 marketing and given that Todd also says Bethesda is uniquely positioned to work without that much pandemic disruption (old, long term dev team, history of remote work) there really is no sensible basis for insisting there will be a delay.

Riky

$MSFT
Great news, got to pretty confident it's going to arrive on time at this point. This is going to be huge next year and the last gen shackles have gone.
Going to be interesting to see if Microsoft have left Xbox One behind totally after Halo Infinite ships.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Saying stuff like this so early is risky - but it also tends to backfire.
BF2042's "way ahead of schedule" earlier this year springs to mind...
Completely forgot about this statement. Working throughout the pandemic must have set them back, but yeah that statement…..

SJRB

Gold Member
Cyberpunk was playable from start to finish more than 1.5 years before it released.

This means nothing, honestly.

Stuart360

But they get pretty high scores for being "barely playable" if you ask me. Can't remember a single bug in Fallout 3, Fallout 4 or Skyrim. Fallout 76 is another story......
Bethesda games have a lot of bugs to be fair. They always got away with it though through the years because of how high quality their games are. Until Fallout 76 (although the builk of that was done by their Austin studio, who didnt have a good track record under the old studio name), and of course now Xbox have bought them.

Still i adore Oblivion, Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas, and Skyrim is arguably my fave game ever, certainly my most played game ever.
Starfield gets a near free pass for me. Skyrim/Fallout in space, god it gives me shivers!. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

But they get pretty high scores for being "barely playable" if you ask me. Can't remember a single bug in Fallout 3, Fallout 4 or Skyrim. Fallout 76 is another story......
This is a parody post right?!

Your trusted videogame journalist barely take into accounts bugs and glitches.

Rdr2 had a huge bug where many characters were miissing from the camp in the first 3 chapters (and the camp is one of the best things in the whole game) and it was still a 97 on mc.

They only notice bugs in smaller games when the backlash from publishers is non-existent, they love to bash small games like elex that was far more optimized than any ubisoft\bethesda game ever released...

Last edited:
Bethesda games have a lot of bugs to be fair. They always got away with it though through the years because of how high quality their games are. Until Fallout 76 (although the builk of that was done by their Austin studio, who didnt have a good track record under the old studio name), and of course now Xbox have bought them.

Still i adore Oblivion, Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas, and Skyrim is arguably my fave game ever, certainly my most played game ever.
Starfield gets a near free pass for me. Skyrim/Fallout in space, god it gives my shivers!. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
To be fair, i only played F3 +F4 on release, Skyrim a year later. Maye it was already fixed then. But seriously i can't i remember any bug and i usually do this. I can still remeber that Stronghold 2 bug where archers couldn't use stairs and at least 5 Fallout 76 bugs.

Your trusted videogame journalist barely take in accounts bugs and glitches.

Rdr2 had a huge bug where many characters were miissing from the camp in the first 3 chapters (and the camp is one of the best things in the whole game) and it was still a 97 on mc.

They only notice bugs in smaller games when the backlash from publishers is non-existent, theyy love to bash small games like elex that was far more optimized than any ubisoft\bethesda game ever released...
Nope, it's not. Also didn't experience a single bug in RDR2 and bought it day1.

MOTM

Banned

Your trusted videogame journalist barely take in accounts bugs and glitches.

They only notice bugs in smaller games when the backlash from publishers is non-existent, theyy love to bash small games like elex that was far more optimized than any ubisoft\bethesda game ever released...
You mean you had a huge bug.

I played through the game twice on One X then Series X and never came across that. Also first time hearing RDR2 is a “buggy” game.

Top Bottom