• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Is Twice The Size Of Bethesda’s Biggest Game, Story Emphasis On Philosophy

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
starfield.jpeg

Starfield is at least twice the size of the biggest game Bethesda Game Studios has ever made, claims the game’s composer.

Speaking during an interview, Starfield composer Inon Zur revealed that it is Bethesda Game Studios’ biggest project yet in terms of size. It’s not hard to imagine, given that the game spans across over 100 star systems and over 1000 different planets to explore.

Zur also shared some interesting thoughts regarding the game’s story. According to him, Starfield is a deep and philosophical game that will consume a lot of your existence. While he doesn’t think it will make you a changed person, he believes that playing through its story will give you a deeper perspective to your whole being.

According to Zur, ideas like having the courage to ask questions, and to try and find their answers are at the core of Starfield. It’s more than just another shooter or another RPG, he claims. Zur states that Starfield’s story takes a very courageous step into a realm that is more philosophical. He adds that the game isn’t just about how it looks and how the gameplay is, despite both aspects being incredible. He finds that Starfield is all about its story, and your ability to write your own story within the framework of its narrative. It’s also about your ability to ask questions, seek relevant answers, and perhaps be able to reach them.

Topher

Gold Member
"Zur also shared some interesting thoughts regarding the game’s story. According to him, Starfield is a deep and philosophical game that will consume a lot of your existence. While he doesn’t think it will make you a changed person, he believes that playing through its story will give you a deeper perspective to your whole being."

meaning of life GIF by Becky Chung

Stuart360

I'm not sure how you compare size between a game like this, and say Skyrim or Fallout 4. Starfield has multiple places to go, not just one map.
Although they could simple be on about game length, amount of missions, etc.

As we already know, size isn't everything. Fallout 76 was a huge game. How did that turn out?

I still want to see actual live gameplay. One quest, start to finish, no bullshit.
Isn't 76 enjoyable now? Seems to be a common opinion

And it was a mmorpg with an evolving world, this will be a finished (content wise at least, until expansions and mods anyways) and realized story.

Seeing as he's the composer, he probably means total scope of the game, not necessarily land mass (though given the number of planets, seems a given)

Pelta88

So they've gone back to meaningless PR?

I was really disappointed with the trailer and went back to look at the view count hoping it wasn't just me. 2 months later the debut trailer sits at 3 million views on the official channel. That's really low in comparison with other trailers during the same time frame.

Double Skyrim? Alright, but generated stuff isn't always that nice. Double Skyrim divides by 1000 planets? A lot of small maps then?

They said there's dozens of cities and environments to go to that aren't randomized among the randomly generated content, that already makes it among the biggest games even ignoring the generated planets.

Assuming that the game turns out as they say, this is Bethesda.

Mozzarella

Thats the first red flag actually, a game so big that it becomes a chore and bloated with content that is hardly worth your time is a bad thing. And knowing devs its impossible to fill this whole space with content that is worth your time, well maybe this could be the first time? but i seriously doubt it, its going to be bloated and too big for its own good.

Also philosophy? lol, Outer Wilds managed to make me engaged with its story and it doesnt do this pretentious philosophy thing that these devs are hinting at, NieR Automata is another offender, these games barely scratch the surface of philosophical topics and then their fanboys start acting like the story is some abstract deep philosophical manifesto, lol.

Give me good Space physics, give me good relatable characters that feel human and complex, give me good soundtrack while im exploring, give me good sense of discovery and worthy side content and give me good and deep RPG systems and finally give me engaging memorable journey with fun gameplay, thats all i ask for.

Flabagast

Bethesda stories have always been bottom of the barrel worthless trash generic writing. I do not see this be changing at all with their next project unfortunately

DaGwaphics

Interesting. Looking forward to playing it. I'll probably stick close to the primary story based objectives, that might cause me to miss some things. Although, maybe this will be one of those games that I really sink the hours into.

Raven77

The composer? What on earth did I just read. Do composers typically get huge behind the scenes looks at the games along with playtime with it?

Top Bottom