• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Is Twice The Size Of Bethesda’s Biggest Game, Story Emphasis On Philosophy

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I'm not sure how you compare size between a game like this, and say Skyrim or Fallout 4. Starfield has multiple places to go, not just one map.
Although they could simple be on about game length, amount of missions, etc.
Daggerfall doesn’t exist?

Guilty_AI

Given my experience with other people's ideas on "philosophy"

i'll press X

Although they could simple be on about game length, amount of missions, etc.
Probably this. Even if the game has multiple planets and whatnot, they already said a lot of those will be just for base building and resource gathering, so not exactly "content worthy".

Ben87fr

Twice the size and double the bugs hummmm ? Anyway a bigger map/world does not mean a better game.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
So a bunch of empty space and endless fetch quests riddled with endless bugs.
kyle mooney trash GIF by Saturday Night Live

Hot5pur

I like the idea of having a big emphasis on philosophy. I am guessing there will also be emphasis on religion, as historically that played a major role in the development of philosophy (more of a counter productive role, but still).
Reading the "History of Western Philosophy" right now and it's just a little sad what things people still believe in given how traceable the origin of most religions is. I guess it's much easier to accept an idea of permanence, a benevolent ghost-father and an afterlife where one is "special" than appreciate the chaotic and random nature of the universe.

johnjohn

Less is more.

All these barren fucking planets with one or two points of interest do not a scifi universe make.
But that's what space is lol, and especially in Starfield's universe where space exploration is relatively new to humans.. There will be plenty of handcrafted locations and I think there's supposed to be 4 or 5 big and dense cities, but obviously there will be a lot of barren planets. This isn't a 3d platformer or linear shooter where a smaller and more dense level is almost always going to be superior to a big and more barren level. This is a sprawling space RPG, size and scale is incredibly important.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Twice the size and maybe half the fun too ?

Watch out for PR bullshit like this...
Bethesda's Skyrim and Fallout had appropriate density of content as their setting allowed. Twice as big and 30% more content than normal fits for a space game.

Though I did played Fallout 4 and literally nothing in that game was impressive or better than New Vegas.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So they've gone back to meaningless PR?

I was really disappointed with the trailer and went back to look at the view count hoping it wasn't just me. 2 months later the debut trailer sits at 3 million views on the official channel. That's really low in comparison with other trailers during the same time frame.

What exactly does the trailer view count have to do with anything related to the size and scope of the game? Are you in the correct thread?

saintjules

Bigger doesn't always mean better. As I'm getting older, I'm sadly not able to invest dozens upon dozens of hours on a game. That's why I semi-retired from A/C games.

Less is more.

All these barren fucking planets with one or two points of interest do not a scifi universe make.
But it sure does sound like reality, they said it be grounded sci-fi after all lol I kid, I’d take 6 highly detailed planets or a 1000 baron worlds.
Regardless I believe the game will be amazing

VN1X

Banned
But that's what space is lol, and especially in Starfield's universe where space exploration is relatively new to humans.. There will be plenty of handcrafted locations and I think there's supposed to be 4 or 5 big and dense cities, but obviously there will be a lot of barren planets. This isn't a 3d platformer or linear shooter where a smaller and more dense level is almost always going to be superior to a big and more barren level. This is a sprawling space RPG, size and scale is incredibly important.
Scale doesn't mean much when all you do is fly over barren landscapes with nothing to interact with. A POI isn't a city/town specifically. It can be anything from a dungeon to a puzzle, easteregg, etc

Most sci-fi these days sucks in that regard because they all suffer from the Star Wars Syndrome where a single planet consists of one biome and it being home to just one city. I'd rather have 4 planets to visit that all have Skyrim/Oblivion levels of scale rather than stretching that same amount of content out to hundreds of planets and what not. I guess we'll find out which approach Starfield has taken once it releases though.

Okay. So the hand-crafted parts of the game are twice the size? I feel like the randomized planets to fill out the star chart shouldn’t count towards game size, in this context.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

I was really disappointed with the trailer and went back to look at the view count hoping it wasn't just me. 2 months later the debut trailer sits at 3 million views on the official channel. That's really low in comparison with other trailers during the same time frame.

Reading your posts are like a continuous déjà vu. Everyone pretty much the same, with slight variations.

Last edited:
It could be either an advantage or a curse, depending on how fun and engaging the gameplay is. Mildly excited myself, as I am not that big of a fan of the genre, but it is one of the biggest games of 2023, so I wish for Bethesda to succeed in its endeavour.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Temper your expectations, I suspect the explorable area of planets will be just a square like all Bethesda games. Unless they stated otherwise?

marjo

Less is more.

Not sure I agree. One of the things I loved about the first Mass Effect was roaming around the procedurally generated planets. That's not to say that I think the game should only be procedurally generated. Having hand crafted bespoke locations is absolutely essential, but having the extra space to roam around in definitely helps with immersion.

Last edited:

It probably be best, if you just didn’t play the game.

As we already know, size isn't everything. Fallout 76 was a huge game. How did that turn out?

I still want to see actual live gameplay. One quest, start to finish, no bullshit.
Hi space man, im Jusobrg Snuplus i am a alien! I need you to get five of those space flowers for me in thy cave.Can you grab for me?
Yes
Sure
No,but i will need to say yes later.

Raven117

Gold Member
No hype for me, thanks.

Ion, just give me a great soundtrack while I cruise around the solar system with a decent enough story to pull me through it and I'm a happy camper.

Starfield game may not be one of the best games of 2023. I've exaggerated Starfield. Of course, there was no game. But in 2023, Sony may have many surprises. Now I'll defend the Sony playstation.

JackMcGunns

"Zur also shared some interesting thoughts regarding the game’s story. According to him, Starfield is a deep and philosophical game that will consume a lot of your existence. While he doesn’t think it will make you a changed person, he believes that playing through its story will give you a deeper perspective to your whole being."

meaning of life GIF by Becky Chung

j21CLNS.gif

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Yes, it means absolutely nothing in the long run, because games with smaller maps always existed and it never stopped them from being a successful title.
I'm not sure how this applies as advertising a large map doesn't attempt to discredit games with smaller maps. To many, a large map is desirable, hence why it is advertised. I don't think anyone makes the claim that a game success is tied to the size of it's map.

"MORE OF A GOOD THING DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE GAMES WITH LESS OF THAT GOOD THING HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL"
I never said it was either a good nor a bad thing, it's a subjective point, you have to decide whether it's a good or a bad thing, but what I did say is that using "The map in this new game will be bigger than it was in the previous game" trick as a marketing point is something that is cheap, it's like using the "Our new game will look more realistic than the previous one", well, we all knew that already because the technology is always improving, you aren't breaking any new ground by saying this, show us the actual quality content within the game and then maybe you can use that as your selling point.

Romulus

I don't think they're talking about map size. If they were, the explorable map size per planet seems incredibly small considering it takes place on 1000 planets. Makes me think there will be artificial barriers and small hubs on each planet that only give you a taste of exploration. Let's just say it's only 100 planets and you divide that by the size of Fallout 76 at 2x.

Nope, that's some tiny environments. That would mean a lot of that expansiveness is just viewable. There was a single vista in Starfield that looked better than Fallout 76.

Last edited:
Top Bottom