• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Is Twice The Size Of Bethesda’s Biggest Game, Story Emphasis On Philosophy

I never said it was either a good nor a bad thing, it's a subjective point, you have to decide whether it's a good or a bad thing, but what I did say is that using "The map in this new game will be bigger than it was in the previous game" trick as a marketing point is something that is cheap, it's like using the "Our new game will look more realistic than the previous one", well, we all knew that already because the technology is always improving, you aren't breaking any new ground by saying this, show us the actual quality content within the game and then maybe you can use that as your selling point.
It's not a marketing point though, they said it one time during the showcase.

The interview this article quoted is over an hour long from the composer about his career lol, not Bethesda marketing

ZoukGalaxy

[ X ] Doubt
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

They said the same about Fallout 4 using all hyperbole available, finally the map is small and packed, the worst kind of "wasteland" map.

We'll wait to judge.

Last edited:
I don't think they're talking about map size. If they were, the explorable map size per planet seems incredibly small considering it takes place on 1000 planets. Makes me think there will be artificial barriers and small hubs on each planet that only give you a taste of exploration. Let's just say it's only 100 planets and you divide that by the size of Fallout 76 at 2x.

Nope, that's some tiny environments. That would mean a lot of that expansiveness is just viewable. There was a single vista in Starfield that looked better than Fallout 76.
I got the impression that it was a general comment about the scope of the game as a whole, not just map size.

The quote is from the composer, what the fuck would he know about the total land mass lol

It's not a marketing point though, they said it one time during the showcase.

The interview this article quoted is over an hour long from the composer about his career lol, not Bethesda marketing
Anything positive that they say or will say about the game will end up being as them promoting it, unless they will explicitly start to criticize the game, which is something that definitely won't happen in the long run. 1000 planets is nice, but we all know that there won't be actually different and unique 1000 planets, you can only go so far. To answer to you, Todd, in case you have an account on NeoGAF and reading this very thread, the only thing that I am wondering about is whether this game will end up being interesting to me, your number 1 fan, the rest is kind of not important to me.
yaxbDpM.png
r7ZutXp.png

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
I like the story synopsis. I could be wrong here but I swear I saw Todd Howard relate this game to interstellar at some point. An that movie made me think about all of existence lmao. Those are the best space stories, discovering and answering questions we’ve had since the beginning of time.

Ribi

2x.. but 1000 planets.. math doenst add up unless the planets are just landing zones. CONFIRMED!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not sure a composer is the one to listen to about game size. It's probably relative to the amount of music he had to create.

I think this game will be a hit, and is going to be Bethesdas most mod friendly game. They are not stupid and know what has made Skyrim sell so many copies. Whole planets open to be modded is a huge win for that community.

I do think there will be a level of generic procedurally generated feel to some of it like all their games, but that didn't seem to hurt Skyrim with all those awful crypts. Mods will be huge in this game.

Top Bottom