• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Showcase Rumored to Be Announced Next Week

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said in my post that gaming cannot be compared to other mediums. A Blu-ray player is a blu-ray player, all of the movies are exactly the same, regardless of hardware.

If we went down that route in gaming - which would be impossible because you're asking manufacturers to make consoles the same, while keeping PC hardware different..., we would lose out on exclusive games.

I personally heavily despise the wants, needs and entitlements of modern day gamers, this isn't aimed at you, more of a general view. Everyone wants 1 vr headset, 1 standardised hardware and free games on gamepass. That is a nightmare future for what should be an artform medium, not a money-making, corporate one.

You say hassle. One man's fun is another's hell and I get that. But I enjoy different experiences with different controllers and different hardware. I like playing RTS on M+KB. I like chilling infront of the tv with a controller and, depending how i feel, playing a unique xbox or unique PS game. Variety is the spice of life.
Unless a studio is really small with limited resources, most games can/are made multiplatform.

Exclusive game deals are a selling bullet point to get gamers to that platform. No different than Netflix making their own content that doesn't show up on Hulu or Amazon Prime. But a lot of third party games are locked behind partnership deals is an artificial barrier.

In movies, no branded player locks content behind their players even though I'm sure they can figure out how to code discs to only run on LG or Samsung players. Sony is the only one who even owns TV/movie studios among electronics companies, so if there's one brand who can do that it's their gear. Yet nobody does that. Sony doesn't care if someone buys a Spiderman movie on an RCA DVD player.

GymWolf

One is an open world game. One is a linear game. One image above is zoomed in, in game. The other is full screen emulation. Stop embarrassing yourself.
The excuse that open world can't have good combat\animations is not a good excuse anymore.

We have a full trailer where to check starfield gunplay "prowess" and boy the situation doesn't get any better...

Last edited:
Its not that content is locked to one device or hardware, it's that unique hardware gives unique experiences.

Gaming is like no other entertainment medium and cannot be compared to other forms because of that uniqueness. Exclusives should absolutely exist, if those exclusives were not former 3rd party games and are designed to offer something unique to that particular hardware.

We can look back through gaming history and see how games catered to certain design decision, peripherals or audiences and gave us, as gamers, some truly magic experiences.

I would rather pay to own more/all consoles and be rewarded with the ability to play all exclusives, than only have to buy 1 piece of hardware and have nothing unique to ever be designed again.
I’m not seeing this as the case this generation though or really last generation - I have all the consoles - but I don’t see how these games couldnt have been on the other console if they wanted. At least between Xbox and PlayStation - I don’t see how starfield would’ve been impossible on ps5 or last of us 2/GOW impossible on Xbox really… all though Sonys first party exclusives feel more bespoke than Xbox’s

GymWolf

For a RPG it looks good, compared to COD it looks bad. I just hope there is something cooler than bullets.
No it doesn't, cyberpunk look way punchier, even atomic heart looks better, and that one is a genre that usually has shitty looking combat.

There is no excuse for bad combat in 2023.

This is an high budget game, a gotg contender, people should have higher standards.

If you are not good with combat and animations than fucking hire new devs, you have Microsoft money now.

Last edited:
I’m not seeing this as the case this generation though or really last generation - I have all the consoles - but I don’t see how these games couldnt have been on the other console if they wanted. At least between Xbox and PlayStation - I don’t see how starfield would’ve been impossible on ps5 or last of us 2/GOW impossible on Xbox really… all though Sonys first party exclusives feel more bespoke than Xbox’s
This is sadly the case nowadays as the consoles move towards becoming more PC-like in the architecture. However, I am hoping the PS5 bucks the trend and that the SSD and or VR offer some unique experiences.

On the flip side, Nintendo's move away from the traditional console space has led to same great ideas, innovations and games. Would Switch games play on a XS/PS5? Sure, but would they feel as special as when played on the a switch and on the move?

gothmog

Gold Member
The funny part about this is I can totally see Starfield being like the 3rd or 4th best game this year with Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Forza getting entries this year.

This is sadly the case nowadays as the consoles move towards becoming more PC-like in the architecture. However, I am hoping the PS5 bucks the trend and that the SSD and or VR offer some unique experiences.

On the flip side, Nintendo's move away from the traditional console space has led to same great ideas, innovations and games. Would Switch games play on a XS/PS5? Sure, but would they feel as special as when played on the a switch and on the move?
I think VR is a whole other ball game - and that’s not offered by other consoles. But in terms of the ssd and stuff - I dunno I guess we’ll have to see if that allows totally unique innovative games to come out - but my feeling is this consoles are very similar. The hardware itself will probably not drive any innovation between those two.

Like there’s the haptics on the dual sense I guess? And if they make a game purely based on haptics - I’d see why that needed to be exclusive and I think that’s totally fine. But if it doesn’t actually NEED to be exclusive I don’t think it really should be.

Basically my thought is the bar for exclusivity should be way way higher - it’s existence as exclusive should depend on it being incapable of being on any other platform

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Lying The Princess Bride GIF by Disney+

Ozriel

M$FT
Would Switch games play on a XS/PS5? Sure, but would they feel as special as when played on the a switch and on the move?

They’d feel the exact same. Not sure I’ve met anyone who strongly feels that Smash Bros or Mario Kart feels more special when they’re in bed or on the train vs docked.

I think VR is a whole other ball game - and that’s not offered by other consoles. But in terms of the ssd and stuff - I dunno I guess we’ll have to see if that allows totally unique innovative games to come out - but my feeling is this consoles are very similar. The hardware itself will probably not drive any innovation between those two.
True on the VR front, and if we separate it from consoles, we can look at the unique tracking, movements and tech with each headset, though that could be attributed to evolution of the hardware. Right now we are only just coming out of the cross-gen phase, which seems to get longer every damned generation. Maybe this year we will see what makes the XSX and PS5 unique
Like there’s the haptics on the dual sense I guess? And if they make a game purely based on haptics - I’d see why that needed to be exclusive and I think that’s totally fine. But if it doesn’t actually NEED to be exclusive I don’t think it really should be.
True it isn't needed but it is an added extra. Rumble was once a feature that generated a lot of buzz, but seems as I always turned it off, you could still play the game without needing rumble.
Basically my thought is the bar for exclusivity should be way way higher - it’s existence as exclusive should depend on it being incapable of being on any other platform
This I agree with. It would really force devs to make unique experiences that can't be found elsewhere.
They’d feel the exact same. Not sure I’ve met anyone who strongly feels that Smash Bros or Mario Kart feels more special when they’re in bed or on the train vs docked.
That you're able to play those games away from the TV is what makes them unique. I don't mean the game magically changes because you're racing in Mario while having a shit. It meant to be more that you can take a shit while playing the game vs sitting on your couch...unless you own a commode.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am ready todd.
Lift Off E3 GIF by Xbox

This gif looks amazing. Any reason to believe that Starfield will be downgraded the next time we see it? Or does Bethesda never do that type of marketing? I'm honestly not sure. But it looks AMAZING in the first showing.

feynoob

Banned
This gif looks amazing. Any reason to believe that Starfield will be downgraded the next time we see it? Or does Bethesda never do that type of marketing? I'm honestly not sure. But it looks AMAZING in the first showing.
Depends on what Bethesda is focusing on.
At least modders will make the game feel like a next gen game.

Still going to lose GOTY to either Zelda or Final Fantasy
Zelda is always a sure bet, but FF ehhh not really. I respect Yoshi P for turning around FFXIV, and I enjoyed what I played up to the end of Shadowbringers (but it still kinda felt years behind other MMOs in terms of production values), FFXVI is a bit of a different ballgame with a linear single-player JRPG…I mean I like what I see, but I also liked what I saw from FFXV and FFXIII before they came out along with a lot of other people.

The BOTW team against a mainline Bethesda team is actually an interesting match up. They’re separate styles of sandbox, but both inspire lots of creativity and both are great at environmental storytelling.

Last edited:

Nydius

About to head into March with still no word on the Starfield showcase does not fill me with confidence that it will reach the "1H 2023" target. I know pundits keep rumoring June, but I can't see Microsoft putting it out within a month of Redfall and Zelda (May 2nd and 12th, respectively) and during the same month as Diablo IV and Final Fantasy XVI (June 2nd and 22nd, respectively). The hype for the game would be absolutely swallowed up if they tried fitting it into the June window.

I'm still convinced this will be a holiday release and end up being 11/11/23 or some such, with Forza Motorsport dropping a couple months before (or, vice versa).

Last edited:

pasterpl

Not to mention one being a corridor shooter and one being an open world space simulation where you go to a thousand planets. Why do people like that feel the need to say stupid things like this. You’re correct btw but they’re aren’t even the same kinda of game.
Irrelevant details. /s

Last edited:
No it doesn't, cyberpunk look way punchier, even atomic heart looks better, and that one is a genre that usually has shitty looking combat.

There is no excuse for bad combat in 2023.

This is an high budget game, a gotg contender, people should have higher standards.

If you are not good with combat and animations than fucking hire new devs, you have Microsoft money now.
Cyberpunk can hardly be considered an RPG when compared to Bethesda games. 90% of the city in Cyberpunk is inaccessible while in Bethesda RPGs all buildings can be entered into and objects manipulated.

Cyberpunk can hardly be considered an RPG when compared to Bethesda games. 90% of the city in Cyberpunk is inaccessible while in Bethesda RPGs all buildings can be entered into and objects manipulated.
It was an action RPG very much in the style of Deus Ex, where your choices mattered, main difference compared to Bethesda games is it’s not really sandbox (or at least doesn’t make any real effort at it other than as a backdrop).

The term RPG can be used a little too loosely IMO sometimes, but Cyberpunk isn’t one, just a different type of RPG. I mean remember people saying: ‘Skyrim‘s not an RPG, Final Fantasy isn’t an RPG, Souls isn’t an RPG, Witcher 3 isn’t RPG’…but what the hell else do you classify them as? At this point RPG is just a general term like EDM is in music to covering all modern electronic dance music regardless of sub-genre.

That said I don’t see how this is in any way worse than CP2077 even it just being the early reveal video.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Final fantasy….come on bruh. You trippin. Square enix stopped making goty contenders years and years ago. Zelda il give you that though.
I still can’t comprehend how there is any hype about FF16 to begin with and that’s after watching the last previews.

But I don’t think any game has a chance against TOTK anyway.

It was an action RPG very much in the style of Deus Ex, where your choices mattered, main difference compared to Bethesda games is it’s not really sandbox (or at least doesn’t make any real effort at it other than as a backdrop).

The term RPG can be used a little too loosely IMO sometimes, but Cyberpunk isn’t one, just a different type of RPG. I mean remember people saying: ‘Skyrim‘s not an RPG, Final Fantasy isn’t an RPG, Souls isn’t an RPG, Witcher 3 isn’t RPG’…but what the hell else do you classify them as? At this point RPG is just a general term like EDM is in music to covering all modern electronic dance music regardless of sub-genre.

That said I don’t see how this is in any way worse than CP2077 even it just being the early reveal video.
I never really understood the rpg thing, isn’t basically every game technically some version of rpg - especially nowadays? But yeah I guess when I think of legit rpg I think of cd project red, BioWare, Bethesda

Fredrik

I still can’t comprehend how there is any hype about FF16 to begin with and that’s after watching the last previews.

But I don’t think any game has a chance against TOTK anyway.
You can’t?

It’s a new big Final Fantasy in the main serie.
It’ll release this year.
It’s a platform exclusive.

Why would there not be any hype?

Imagine not comprehending that there is hype about The Elder Scrolls VI the year it’ll release. Well actually, I’m sure there will be people saying that too, probably going on about how Bethesda hasn’t made a great game since Morrowind or that they’ve never liked their games anyway and they’re overrated devs.
🙄

Chukhopops

You can’t?

It’s a new big Final Fantasy in the main serie.
It’ll release this year.
It’s a platform exclusive.

Why would there not be any hype?

Imagine not comprehending that there is hype about The Elder Scrolls VI the year it’ll release. Well actually, I’m sure there will be people saying that too, probably going on about how Bethesda hasn’t made a great game since Morrowind or that they’ve never liked their games anyway and they’re overrated devs.
🙄
Like I said, others must be seeing things differently and I’m fine with that.

To me, between the kaiju fights, the QTEs, the incredibly generic setting, the characters, the flashy numbers popping everywhere etc… I can’t find anything I like at all. Opinion of course.

By the way plenty of people say they never liked Bethesda games and I’m also fine with that despite considering Oblivion one of the top 10 best games ever made.

Top Bottom