• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Showcase Rumored to Be Announced Next Week

EDMIX

Most would classify Cyberpunk as an RPG light in comparison to typical Bethesda games anyway.

Agreed, I was just about to say, they themselves don't even call that shit an RPG

oDldUQQ.png

they want it to be some action game, then so be it.

Fredrik

Like I said, others must be seeing things differently and I’m fine with that.

To me, between the kaiju fights, the QTEs, the incredibly generic setting, the characters, the flashy numbers popping everywhere etc… I can’t find anything I like at all. Opinion of course.

By the way plenty of people say they never liked Bethesda games and I’m also fine with that despite considering Oblivion one of the top 10 best games ever made.
It’s a mainline Final Fantasy. There is no scenario where there would be no hype. You not liking what you’re seeing don’t change anything, it’s no different than people stepping in here not seeing what people are excited about for Starfield.

Personally I wish FF was still turn-based, I don’t think any realtime FF has played as well as the older ones, but I 100% understand the hype and I’m still excited to experience it because it’s a mainline FF and I know it’ll be amazing in other ways than just the combat. Same as with Starfield and the talk earlier about how the combat looks bad. It’s a big budget proper RPG. It’ll be awesome.

begotten

Wouldn't it be great if you can land on a world and find it's Skyrim or Fallout, that would be amazing DLC.

I hadn't thought of that but that would be sick, even if it's totally baron and just had useless easter eggs to pick up. Would be a cool moment similar to Shadow Moses in MGS4.

Wouldn't it be great if you can land on a world and find it's Skyrim or Fallout, that would be amazing DLC.
This is what I’ve been saying from the jump, I bet it’ll be modded at least - every Bethesda game on each planet - maybe other ones too

Fredrik

Most would classify Cyberpunk as an RPG light in comparison to typical Bethesda games anyway.
I love the game but yeah the role-playing is limited. Goes for The Witcher as well. Bethesda’s games are on a whole other level regarding role-playing, but as said there is usually more jank instead. In my opinion it’s no problem, I can play action games if I want refined action.

Calverz

I still can’t comprehend how there is any hype about FF16 to begin with and that’s after watching the last previews.

But I don’t think any game has a chance against TOTK anyway.
Its hyped because its a ps5 exclusive. Probably as its a return to medieval setting too in fairness. But yea I cant see anything beating out TOTK. Maybe Starfield if it isn't a complete mess and isn't just "skyrim in space".

Kvally

Banned
About to head into March with still no word on the Starfield showcase does not fill me with confidence that it will reach the "1H 2023" target. I know pundits keep rumoring June, but I can't see Microsoft putting it out within a month of Redfall and Zelda (May 2nd and 12th, respectively) and during the same month as Diablo IV and Final Fantasy XVI (June 2nd and 22nd, respectively). The hype for the game would be absolutely swallowed up if they tried fitting it into the June window.

I'm still convinced this will be a holiday release and end up being 11/11/23 or some such, with Forza Motorsport dropping a couple months before (or, vice versa).
I wouldn’t be surprised if FF and Zelda dates were delayed if June is announced for Starfield.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I don't really know about this one.

I do like tes and fallout, but from what I've seen from star field then I'm not super pumped.

I especially hated how xp is calculated directly as your cross hair, making it hard to see.

Fredrik

That's exactly reason to not be excited about it.
When was last truly good mainline FF game released? On PS2?
Well, for me it’s simple, it’s a new game in a long going huge game serie.
Halo Infinite was hyped too, when was the last truly good Halo game released? On Xbox 360?
(I loved Halo 4 though but don’t mind me I’m no hardcore Halo fan)

kuncol02

Banned
Well, for me it’s simple, it’s a new game in a long going huge game serie.
Halo Infinite was hyped too, when was the last truly good Halo game released? On Xbox 360?
(I loved Halo 4 though but don’t mind me I’m no hardcore Halo fan)
I will be that guy and say that Halo was never really great and only reason why Halo is in any way relevant now is because it was first mainstream multiplayer console game.
Xbox360 is also whole generation (and really long one) later.

StereoVsn

Folks, it's going to be a better (hopefully) Fallout 4 in Space and not Skyrim.

Doubt we will see any fantasy elements or anything alike, but should hopefully have vehicle to control, space pirates to gun down and maybe have some psychic powers ala Mass Effect (probably not).

I am sure there will be mutants, weird creatures and so on, but folks need to expect Sci-Fi not Fantasy here.

Edit: Last great FF was XIV if you are into MMOs and XII if you aren't. And even then, XII had some issues.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Infinite itself was good.
Wrong thread, but I gave it 16 hours until I dropped out, the action itself was solid but I thought it was too samey. I had more fun playing through Halo 5, I liked the variety in environments, was tighter storywise too. I’m just a solo player though, maybe multiplayer was more fun.

pasterpl

Anyone still believes that this event will happen? We know MS event with Paradox is happening on 6th of march so that’s next week. I think it will be couple more months before we get starfield event, it might be even the June event with shadow drop ;)

Wrong thread, but I gave it 16 hours until I dropped out, the action itself was solid but I thought it was too samey. I had more fun playing through Halo 5, I liked the variety in environments, was tighter storywise too. I’m just a solo player though, maybe multiplayer was more fun.

Fair point.

It lacked diversity.

It's action carried it. Still, if you play FPS single player titles, I would still say it's a must play on action alone.

It's much different situation from FF situation really.

If Infinite wasn't good, it would just die quietly, nobody would talk about it.

Sybrix

Space is just boring, especially when compared to the world of skyrim or Fallout. Its gonna be a huge empty game imo

Have this worry also.

But in the last gameplay vid, it was described you can explore 100s of planets.... now if each of these planets has a Skyrim level of detail world, then im 100% sold...... but its a big ask.

I really hope these arent random generated worlds.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Have this worry also.

But in the last gameplay vid, it was described you can explore 100s of planets.... now if each of these planets has a Skyrim level of detail world, then im 100% sold...... but its a big ask.

I really hope these arent random generated worlds.
For that many I can't see how the majority of worlds wouldn't have been procedurally generated, at least at the start. Makes me wonder if the Fallout meets No Man's Sky memes aren't going to be somewhat true.

Sybrix

For that many I can't see how the majority of worlds wouldn't have been procedurally generated, at least at the start. Makes me wonder if the Fallout meets No Man's Sky memes aren't going to be somewhat true.

I dont know how big Bethesda is but is it a possibility that each planet is hand crafted? Given the fact the game has been worked on for the last 6+ years?

I'm not talking multiple cities on each planet, i would think 1-2 big cities, 5-10 smaller towns and bits inbetween and a lot of open world, if that's replicated 100+ times, i think id be happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom