• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Steam update removes Russian language support

Psychonauts 2 got review bombed because it did no have russian language support. Unlike It takes 2 that supported tons of languages.
Politics be damned, spend money on your translations you lazy developers.

westman

If this releases in September the translation is already done, probably with lines being recorded as well if there was audio support planned.
According to this this Reddit post, Russian audio support was not planned as of December 2021 (i.e. before the Russian invasion of Ukraine). This makes it possible to do the translation closer to release, so I wouldn't take it for granted that they have a completed Russian translation at this time. Also, it's possible that they made an internal decision to cancel the translation (or suspend work on it) well before they updated the status on Steam.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Unfortunate for people who can only understand Russian, but I'm sure Ukrainians would rather play in English than support a game which used localization services in Russia.

Flutta

Banned
Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I almost felt sorry for the Russians. I am sure a lot of them are innocent, don't want a war, or are being lied to but the war needs to stop and if this is what it takes to get Russians to stand up to Putin then so be it. Obviously I don't mean to suggest that Steam removing the language in a game is going to get Russians up in arms to overthrow the government but enough little things like this will hopefully eventually force them to try change the direction their country is going in.

Yes, it's been widely reported that there's strong opposition to the war from Russians.

I feel very sorry for both sides of this war, so much destruction and misery for one man's vanity project.

MiguelItUp

I don't think this has much to do with the war though, it's not logical, obviously language isn't constrained to specific country borders.

F.ex. both my two year old and my eight year old sons speak russian, and they ain't no russians by any stretch of the imagination..

Wouldn't it make sense to confirm an angle before running with it..? Of course, it wouldn't generate as many clicks that way, but still..

Edit: Forgot about localization services.. So it's of course not because they want to punish the russian speaking, but Bethesda might've been hit by sanction issues.
Exactly. I think it's hilarious that people see this and automatically kneejerk to such a thing, folks need to relax.

We don't know why it's a thing, lord knows there could be a number of reasons. Especially when Russian language support exists in other future titles. If they were ALL removed, well, then yeah, it'd look a bit more questionable.

GymWolf

Corporations dont care about that. They ban whatever twitter warriors and woke culture dictates. 40 years from now, if you're not part of LGBT, you are banned from society for being a straight trash human.
Am i straight if my dick has a small curve but i still like to fuck women?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
What does this achieve?
Russians will just hack the game, and do language support mode.

Microsoft, like many, many other businesses have halted business with Russia in accordance with government sanctions, it was quite big news last year. It may well be something that they have to be both seen to be doing and also are under greater scrutiny than other companies.

They're unlikely to be doing this as some sort of virtue signalling effort.

It might even just be a mistake or error if there isn't a reason for them to do it.

Last edited:

badblue

Unfortunate for people who can only understand Russian, but I'm sure Ukrainians would rather play in English than support a game which used localization services in Russia.
I'm sure the Ukrainian people would rather play the game in Ukrainian rather then English.

Lots of Ukrainian people out side of the Ukraine right now that could use the work.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't think this has much to do with the war though, it's not logical, obviously language isn't constrained to specific country borders.

F.ex. both my two year old and my eight year old sons speak russian, and they ain't no russians by any stretch of the imagination..

Wouldn't it make sense to confirm an angle before running with it..? Of course, it wouldn't generate as many clicks that way, but still..

Edit: Forgot about localization services.. So it's of course not because they want to punish the russian speaking, but Bethesda might've been hit by sanction issues.
Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

Goalus

What do you mean?
I mean that MS is about to pay $60 billion in cash which might force them to be wary of their spending in other areas. Maybe they currently don't have someone available who is fluent enough in Russian to do the job.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Microsoft, like many, many other businesses have halted business with Russia in accordance with government sanctions, it was quite big news last year. It may well be something that they have to be both seen to be doing and also are under greater scrutiny than other companies.

They're unlikely to be doing this as some sort of virtue signalling effort.

It might even just be a mistake or error if there isn't a reason for them to do it.
Finally someone gets it.

Neff

Sucks for Russian-only speakers who aren't arseholes but I can completely understand why they're doing it.

Mokus

I thought russians hate american made things. And even so, most likely they would have pirated it because of the sanctions.

JCK75

Like.. can we stop punishing people for their horrible leaders actions?
I mean are we going to try to punish the people of North Korea next for being prisoners in their own country?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, there are people in my neighborhood (in the US) who speak little English but primarily Russian.

Way to stick it them, I guess?

Chukhopops

Like.. can we stop punishing people for their horrible leaders actions?
I mean are we going to try to punish the people of North Korea next for being prisoners in their own country?
Well… there are already sanctions on NK and they are afaik harsher than the ones on Russia/Belarus.

Crayon

I'll keep my nose out of the geopolitical strategies but the bandwagon of hate towards all things russian has been disgusting. Sickening.

Please enjoy a beautiful song in russian from our ultimate big bad enemy soviet union and tell me these people should be cancelled.

Mokus

I mean, there are people in my neighborhood (in the US) who speak little English but primarily Russian.

Way to stick it them, I guess?
OMG, the torture they have to suffer in that blasted country, better move back to Putin's dystopian Russia.

Imagine that I had to learn english in a non english speaking country (Romania) to be able to use the computer because there was no localization at al. And then was this guy who as a kid in the 90s wanted badly to play Civilization but it was hard to get a copy of it. When finally someone managed to give him one, it turned out it was the german only version. What he did? Took the dictionary and learned german enough to be able to play Civilization.

Is that horrible to learn a new language trough your hobbies for russians? After all today english is a very useful language in the whole wide world, not just in english speaking countries.

Last edited:
Top Bottom