• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield SteamDB Changes May Hint at Another Delay for Bethesda’s RPG

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Could Starfield be in for another substantial delay? After many years in development, Bethesda initially locked down a November 11, 2022 release date (11/11/22), but the game was later delayed to the first half of 2023. Well, you may not want to get your hopes too high for a spring Starfield release.

Recently, the SteamDB listing for Starfield was updated, giving the game a new release date of December 29, 2023. A new “package,” perhaps related to a season pass or other DLC, was also recently added then removed from the Starfield page. Clearly, something is going on behind the scenes with the page.

WCCFstarfield27-1100x461.jpg

Now, December 29, 2023 is very likely a placeholder date – that would be a very strange time to release a major game – but it could indicate that a late 2023 release is more likely than an early 2023 release for Starfield. Bethesda has almost always stuck with holiday releases for their big games, after all. Of course, take all this with a grain of salt for now. Could Microsoft and Bethesda update us on the status of Starfield soon? Let’s hope so.

Haven’t been keeping up with Starfield? Here’s everything you need to know about the game, along with an official description…

“The year is 2330. Humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. From humble beginnings as a space miner, you will join Constellation — the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy — and navigate the vast expanse of the Settled Systems in Bethesda Game Studios’ biggest and most ambitious game. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, you will create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest question: What is out there?”

Starfield is slated to arrive on PC and Xbox Series X/S in the first half of 2023 (for now).

Could Starfield be in for another substantial delay? After many years in development, Bethesda initially locked down a November 11, 2022 release date (11/11/22), but the game was later delayed to the first half of 2023. Well, you may not want to get your hopes too high for a spring Starfield release.

Recently, the SteamDB listing for Starfield was updated, giving the game a new release date of December 29, 2023. A new “package,” perhaps related to a season pass or other DLC, was also recently added then removed from the Starfield page. Clearly, something is going on behind the scenes with the page.

WCCFstarfield27-1100x461.jpg

Now, December 29, 2023 is very likely a placeholder date – that would be a very strange time to release a major game – but it could indicate that a late 2023 release is more likely than an early 2023 release for Starfield. Bethesda has almost always stuck with holiday releases for their big games, after all. Of course, take all this with a grain of salt for now. Could Microsoft and Bethesda update us on the status of Starfield soon? Let’s hope so.

Haven’t been keeping up with Starfield? Here’s everything you need to know about the game, along with an official description…

“The year is 2330. Humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling new planets, and living as a spacefaring people. From humble beginnings as a space miner, you will join Constellation — the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy — and navigate the vast expanse of the Settled Systems in Bethesda Game Studios’ biggest and most ambitious game. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, you will create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest question: What is out there?”

Starfield is slated to arrive on PC and Xbox Series X/S in the first half of 2023 (for now).

December 29th is a placeholder dude and you know it lol, stop trying to spin this any other way. Game is coming out 1st half of 2023 and that's that. When a game doesn't have a full release date other than the year then the default release date is always end of December which simply means it will be out on or before that day until the actual date is announced. You all should know this by now, but no, let's keep spinning and rile up the gamers cause why not right?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Unless i totally missed it, we never got a new release date after the orig delay. So its hard to call it another delay lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These threads always read the same whether it’s MS or Sony, same trolling, same correcting, same excuses, same goalposts, same damage controlling, everything is IDENTICAL.

It’s literally a flippy floppy. Same people to boot dancing in the mirror.

As for the OP, I wouldn’t worry too much about it, besides, they never gave a date only a window, yeah?

Last edited:

Beechos

It is what it is. Gives some other games an opportunity to take the spotlight duringbthat window. Way too many games to play to be even worried.

December 29th is a placeholder dude and you know it lol, stop trying to spin this any other way. Game is coming out 1st half of 2023 and that's that. When a game doesn't have a full release date other than the year then the default release date is always end of December which simply means it will be out on or before that day until the actual date is announced. You all should know this by now, but no, let's keep spinning and rile up the gamers cause why not right?

Oh no what did you do, you crashed all of the little ones dreams. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

clarky

Gold Member
Yes but at least I can play them.

EDIT:

And to be clear, I'm talking about the absurd amount of meta drama this game has caused.
What drama? Its just been delayed. Hardly a rare occurrence in this industry, and not exactly a first for Bethesda. Did i miss something?

Kilau

Gold Member
What drama? Its just been delayed. Hardly a rare occurrence in this industry, and not exactly a first for Bethesda. Did i miss something?
You missed that Jimbo was apparently trying to lock up exclusivity on it and that caused MS to just outright buy Bethesda?

clarky

Gold Member
You missed that Jimbo was apparently trying to lock up exclusivity on it and that caused MS to just outright buy Bethesda?
Don't think they spent 7 billion big ones to get starfield. That's just internet spin IMO, BG where selling MS needed studios.

It was a decent buy as well, far better that the Activision deal.

Last edited:

blacktout

Now, December 29, 2023 is very likely a placeholder date – that would be a very strange time to release a major game – but it could indicate that a late 2023 release is more likely than an early 2023 release for Starfield.

Nah, it tells us absolutely nothing. It's the last Friday of 2023, so it's literally the last day that the game could possibly be released. It's definitely a placeholder and a meaningless one at that.

The date prior to the update was the 11/11/22 date too, so it's not like the date was changed when the initial delay was announced and then changed again, which might have told us something. This is just a way to change away from the old release date without providing any new information.

The article is written in that weaselly "well, it might not mean anything, but" style indicative of clickbait bullshit that allows the author to pose a provocative question when the answer is actually banal and obvious.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Don't think they spent 7 billion big ones to get starfield. That's just internet spin IMO, BG where selling MS needed studios.

I was a decent buy as well, far better that the Activision deal.
Like I said, meta drama and I agree, for my tastes the Bethesda deal is way bigger.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I literally just copied the article.

Check link at the bottom.

I literally just copied the article.

Check link at the bottom.
Congratulations - you have been manipulated by a website that's trying to cause controversy and get people to click so they can generate traffic and make money off ignorant and uniformed individuals such as yourself.

Anyone who knows how release dates work wouldn't have fallen into this silly trap. Maybe use some logic and actual thinking before deciding whether you should also spread misinformation to other people.

Thats what I think.

I never even saw it coming out earlier or something, to me...in my mind anyway, it was always fall 2023.
The Microsoft show that occurred earlier this summer specifically said that the games shown/presented were coming out in the next 12 months.

So why would you go with what is in your mind? Starfield has been in development for a long time now. Why is it so hard to believe that you'll be playing this game in the next 7 or so months?

Dude. I believe I am 9 feet tall and 400 lbs of pure muscle. I am actually 5 foot 11 and weight around 200. But in my mind I believe I am 9 feet tall okay? And my mind is what matters!!!

🤡

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Does this mean we should soon expect more youtube videos of Bethesda's circlejerking developers congratulating themselves on the excellent game they keep delaying?

That's sort of hilarious in and of itself.

Top Bottom