• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield SteamDB Changes May Hint at Another Delay for Bethesda’s RPG

they are porting to PS5, lets go!!!!
I'd love for Phil to do this, having it on Gamepass at launch is a big enough win for Xbox IMO, but I feel a game this big (Bethesda's next franchise) should be on all platforms but I realise that's not going to happen.

Barakov

Gold Member
they'll keep re-releasing skyrim as many times as they need until the game is out lol

gotta love them sweet little lies
KFjM4ID.jpg

EDMIX

I wouldn't be surprised if it got moved to second half. Releasing close to Zelda 2 would be a bit stupid anyway.

I disagree.

They are just wildly different games with different markets. They'll be fine fall 2023. There is nothing we even know of coming out around that time that would be comparable.

The source is kinda sketchy, but at this point, I won't be surprised if it's delayed. It's Bethesda. Even a finished product that's gone gold will have a million bugs at launch. Wait a year after launch to play the playable build. Shit's been the same since Morrowind.

As for content, I don't think Microsoft would honestly care. They have the best subscription service in the market currently available to the consumer. You guys put a lot of importance on exclusives, yes, they're important and a cherry on top, but the cake is the 3rd party content. XGPU just outright embarrasses the next best gaming subscription service, PS+ Premium, and PS+ Premium is a great service.

Creating games take time. You can't throw money at a studio and expect them to launch a scope/feature complete product within your deadline, especially for AAA GameDev, and scope as Bethesda games, and this is before factoring in 3 years of the world standing still thanks to the pandemic. They're like the 343i of RPG's, broken tier garbage at launch filled with bugs, but unlike 343i, they actually make good games.

i don't ever care anymore man. it'll still release in a buggy mess and get a free pass.

if it's delayed again then whatever. whenever it does come out i'll get it if i have any interest. i'm not excited for it.

Why?

They are wildly different games that only share being open worlds.

Pretty sure that one of the most hyped game of the past 10 years doesn't fear any other game release date.
Neither Bethesda nor Nintendo want the other's major title released around the same time as their own major title. It's not about gameplay overlap necessarily, it's about attention overlap and losing word-of-mouth and "buzz" to the other's game if yours doesn't review as well (i'm assuming Starfield would be on the losing end of that last one). Bethesda won't launch in May 2023 for that reason, assuming TotK isn't delayed out of May.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Neither Bethesda nor Nintendo want the other's major title released around the same time as their own major title. It's not about gameplay overlap, it's about attention overlap and losing word-of-mouth to the other game if yours doesn't review as well (i'm assuming Starfield would be on the losing end of that last one).
Sure, but sony released both horizon titles against elden ring and botw, sometimes devs and publishers have enough faith in their projects or just have a rigid schedule to respect, and it's gonna be pretty hard to obscure one of these 2 titles, and they are both gonna get great scores most probably.

Last edited:
Sure, but sony released both horizon titles against elden ring and botw, sometimes devs and publishers have enough faith in their projects or just have a rigid schedule to respect, and it's gonna be pretty hard to obscure one of these 2 titles, and they are both gonna get great scores most probably.
Right! But it definitely seemed like Horizon was less-favorably reviewed and I think suffered a bit as a result. People were on that Elden Ring-high for quite a while earlier this year.

GymWolf

Right! But it definitely seemed like Horizon was less-favorably reviewed and I think suffered a bit as a result. People were on that Elden Ring-high for quite a while earlier this year.
But it was the same with zero dawn and botw and they still did the same with fw and elden ring.

Also, zero dawn sold like 20 mil copies and it was a new ip, maybe the damage was way less than what we nerds inside forum think.

But it was the same with zero dawn and botw and they still did the same with fw and elden ring.

Also, zero dawn sold like 20 mil copies and it was a new ip, maybe the damage was way less than what we nerds inside forum think.
Definitely. My only point is whether it was foreseeable or not, it took some wind out of Horizon’s sails. Two games in a row now. Entirely fair or not, poor timing seems to minorly afflict launch windows of Horizon games. It would be the opposite if BotW/ ER reviewed and were received worse than Horizon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom