• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: The Endless Pursuit Episode 1 (7min dev diary)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
the way they are hyping up starfield , it better be a ground breaking game.
All this pastelly artwork looks great (too bad no games do this kind of graphics).

But would be hilariously bad if Starfield ends up being a reskinned version of this.

508a7ca9caa95159ec84e9252b6077ac.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
aNiIUu9.jpg

The wire mesh reminds me of UE5 in wireframe, so high geometric detail should be on the cards.

Also regarding space travel I hope it has a more star trek like approach, where you lay in your course and the jouney will take some time and your free to walk around your ship, repairs may be required and sensors may indicate something not on a star chart or a distress call, where you can investigate or ignore.

Its surprising that no space game has replicated dynamic events during space travels like we see in land based open worlds like RDR2.

I used NexusMod previously but I thought there was a whole set of uproar about some of the mods in Creation Club being paid for.
I am not sure if there was a real uproar though.

I don't personally get it however my point is whether they would introduce paid mods again in the future (which i don't see as a bad thing)
Maybe. But unless they block traditional modding tools it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The hype is increasing, can’t wait to play this!

As far as i can remember i never picked up a cup in skyrim, i must be doing something wrong in missing out in those little moments
Picking up a cup in og Skyrim is noob gaming, you haven’t properly experienced Skyrim unless you’ve played it in VR with HIGGS and VRIK mod 👌
CBBE mod is lit too

zeorhymer

I hate to admit, but Bethesda do make amazing environments. Now what they do with those environments are a different story.

Elysion

Banned
I wonder how exactly space travel and exploration of planets is going to work. Will we be able to fly our ship manually, and be able to seamlessly land on planets, like No Man’s Sky (and Star Citizen)? Or will space travel mostly take place on menu screens, and only small parts of planets are explorable (similar to Mass Effect)? The former would make the game much bigger, but would also have to heavily rely on procedural generation, while the latter would make the game feel very restricted, but would allow them to hand-craft most of the environments.

I personally think the best solution would be if the game took place only within a single (largely unexplored) star system, as opposed to a whole Galaxy or whatever. By focusing only on a single solar system, they would only have to design a relatively small number of planets (let’s say around 10 or so), which would allow them to put much more effort into each individual planet, while still having each planet fully explorable. They would probably still need some procedural generation to create most of the planets’ surfaces, but can sprinkle tons of hand-crafted locations and points of interests on them. And a solar system still has enough room for asteroids, space stations, moons and other kinds of celestial objects that are floating around.

Also, keeping everything within a single system would also keep the in-game scale (distances and travel times) more manageable. Manually flying our ship from one side of a solar system to another wouldn’t be nearly as implausible as traveling between different part of the universe (which would in practice take centuries, even with faster-than-light travel).

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why are people excited about this again? Based on what, freaking concept art and words

the amount of people getting excited over pictures and concept art baffles me

Believe it or not some of us actually enjoyed the fuck out of the Elders Scrolls and Fallout games and are free-spirited enough to dare to generate a little bit of anticipation by extrapolating nostalgia, atmosphere and potential. It's not exactly controversial nor bad for "gamers" to get a little bit excited from time to time.

Anyway, I'll make sure to remind you guys to hold your horses next time I see you getting slightly exited over something conceptual-like or a game announcement.

Last edited:
All this pastelly artwork looks great (too bad no games do this kind of graphics).

But would be hilariously bad if Starfield ends up being a reskinned version of this.

508a7ca9caa95159ec84e9252b6077ac.jpg

I'll take Fallout 3 in space at this point. After The Outer Worlds was more Bioshock than Fallout I've been left wanting more. I didn't dislike The Outer Worlds, but it was not what I was hoping for.

If it's still Gamebryo it'll have similarities no matter how much they change the engine, but as long as they evolve things like gunplay and overcome the engine limitations like the inability to move quickly without the game becoming unstable I'm fine with that. I'd rather have a pretty looking re-skinned Fallout 3 than a re-skinned Fallout 4 too. While modding extended my game time into the 1000s of hours, Fallout 4's structure and story had some issues. The dialog cross was just a mistake and I'd take the above any day over it. The worst offender was that the game's population felt like they were designed and written by an AI. I really hope Starfield has had more time in the oven as they say so that npcs and important characters are more fleshed out.

I can't help but get hyped for this game. the music is already shaping up to be epic, the art is already looking great

I am not sure if there was a real uproar though.

Maybe. But unless they block traditional modding tools it doesn't matter.

They soft-block them already when they update their games. It's pretty common now with any game that has any online functionality. I think the official stance is the update disables cheat mods. I'm playing The Phantom Pain right now and it's a modder's nightmare. A lot of broken mods, the game only supports Reshade 0.10.000 to the point that installing any version later causes the game to not start at all. It's unfortunate as the game has the potential to be as big as Skyrim. Maybe once the servers shut down in IIRC March 2022 modders will revisit the game.

The problem with the creation club is that every time Bethesda updates their mods in Fallout 4 they effectively break the 30,000+ mods you can download off the Nexus. Unless the mod author updates the mod for the new version of F4SE those mods are forever broken. For mod authors that make hundreds of mods it becomes a second full-time job to keep them all updated. Oftentimes mod authors lose interest, become angry at the community for not donating, or in cases mod authors have actually straight-up died as this hobby is decade-old now.

It's unfortunate because you can find a vastly superior version of any Creation Club mod on Nexus.

You know it won't matter. People already hyping this up even though they bowed never to play another Bethesda game after fo76. It will sell
Fallout 76 was a huge departure from what Bethesda usually makes and it failed. Starfield is a return to their RPG roots without any of the online co-op and loot box clutter. I don't understand why 76 keeps getting brought up every time Starfield news comes out.

They soft-block them already when they update their games. It's pretty common now with any game that has any online functionality. I think the official stance is the update disables cheat mods. I'm playing The Phantom Pain right now and it's a modder's nightmare. A lot of broken mods, the game only supports Reshade 0.10.000 to the point that installing any version later causes the game to not start at all. It's unfortunate as the game has the potential to be as big as Skyrim. Maybe once the servers shut down in IIRC March 2022 modders will revisit the game.
Are they though? A lot of games developed or designed in a way that assumes that it won't be modded. After all dev doesn't have the responsibility to think about how the modders are gonna modify their game. In fact, modding quite often is something akin a bug rather than feature. Creation Engine is very special in that regard. That's why games are on that engine are the one of the most moddable out there.

Though online games are the entirely different matter. And even then we have a lot of cheaters in the mainstream games.

The problem with the creation club is that every time Bethesda updates their mods in Fallout 4 they effectively break the 30,000+ mods you can download off the Nexus. Unless the mod author updates the mod for the new version of F4SE those mods are forever broken. For mod authors that make hundreds of mods it becomes a second full-time job to keep them all updated. Oftentimes mod authors lose interest, become angry at the community for not donating, or in cases mod authors have actually straight-up died as this hobby is decade-old now.
Modding is essentially tinkering with the existent subsystems and tools (some script injections and so on). You can't blame devs if the mods stopping working with a new version of the game. Devs have no control over what mechanisms modders use to introduce new features. I mean, if I write a DLL that relies on certain commands to be invoked and then devs did some refactoring or whatever that removed some execution paths, it will break the functionality but you can't tell the devs - "don't modify anything because enthusiasts are using that bug to do some funny stuff".

Last edited:

Kacho

Fallout 76 was a huge departure from what Bethesda usually makes and it failed. Starfield is a return to their RPG roots without any of the online co-op and loot box clutter. I don't understand why 76 keeps getting brought up every time Starfield news comes out.
It's usually the same people who bring up bugs as if that's a fresh and exciting take. We see the same thing in Ubisoft threads too. "Ubishit sucks, copy paste, etc, etc."

It's basically just white noise at this point.

Starfield

aNiIUu9.jpg

The wire mesh reminds me of UE5 in wireframe, so high geometric detail should be on the cards.

Also regarding space travel I hope it has a more star trek like approach, where you lay in your course and the jouney will take some time and your free to walk around your ship, repairs may be required and sensors may indicate something not on a star chart or a distress call, where you can investigate or ignore.

Its surprising that no space game has replicated dynamic events during space travels like we see in land based open worlds like RDR2.
That's photoscanned assets using realitycapture

They're using photogrammetry now, like in Forza Horizon 5

TES Vl will use a more advanced version of it

twilo99

That's photoscanned assets using realitycapture

They're using photogrammetry now, like in Forza Horizon 5

TES Vl will use a more advanced version of it

Very nice.. if FH5 is anything to go by, we are in for a treat when it comes to graphics

reksveks

I wonder how exactly space travel and exploration of planets is going to work. Will we be able to fly our ship manually, and be able to seamlessly land on planets, like No Man’s Sky (and Star Citizen)? Or will space travel mostly take place on menu screens, and only small parts of planets are explorable (similar to Mass Effect)? The former would make the game much bigger, but would also have to heavily rely on procedural generation, while the latter would make the game feel very restricted, but would allow them to hand-craft most of the environments.

I personally think the best solution would be if the game took place only within a single (largely unexplored) star system, as opposed to a whole Galaxy or whatever. By focusing only on a single solar system, they would only have to design a relatively small number of planets (let’s say around 10 or so), which would allow them to put much more effort into each individual planet, while still having each planet fully explorable. They would probably still need some procedural generation to create most of the planets’ surfaces, but can sprinkle tons of hand-crafted locations and points of interests on them. And a solar system still has enough room for asteroids, space stations, moons and other kinds of celestial objects that are floating around.

Also, keeping everything within a single system would also keep the in-game scale (distances and travel times) more manageable. Manually flying our ship from one side of a solar system to another wouldn’t be nearly as implausible as traveling between different part of the universe (which would in practice take centuries, even with faster-than-light travel).
The problem is that you are not likely to have many habitable planets in a single solar system

Fredrik

Massively hyped for this game, not going to lie I bet I'll spend a huge amount of time playing it
Yeah Skyrim is one of my most played games ever, if Starfield is anything like that it’ll make me forget other games even exist for awhile.

I get slightly nervous when they say it’s more grounded and realistic though. That sounds bad to me. Realism is boring. I play RPGs for escapism, in a sci-fi RPG I want all kinds of crazy alien worlds and life forms, not some kind of astronaut simulator. I hope I’m just over thinking how they phrased that.

kingfey

Banned
You know it won't matter. People already hyping this up even though they bowed never to play another Bethesda game after fo76. It will sell
Fo76 was Austin. A branch studio.Dont know what crack you smoking.

Main bethesda never worked on any game after fallout4. This project is from main bethesda.

Stop with your bulshit fake information.

Why are people excited about this again? Based on what, freaking concept art and words

Has to be a joke. Bethesda Game Studios + Single Player RPG. They've made nothing but legendary and memorable experiences, and this is the latest and first major new IP in 20 years. It's a game that focuses on space exploration and heavy sci-fi. It's been described by Todd Howard as Nasa meets Indiana Jones meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Another dev refers to it as the Han Solo Simulator. Todd Howard has said its structure is more in the line of Skyrim than Fallout's more straightforward stories. That's all the reason in the world to be excited.

There's plenty of reason to be excited about this game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Can I let you in on a secret? They got rid off the jank.

By getting rid of havok physics behaviour tied to animations

The era of jank is over

They already got rid of the jank with FO4 at least on Xbox. It was by far the least buggy big open world game I've ever played.

Outlier

I learned my lesson with promotional material in regards to games, after what happened with Cyberpunk 2077.

Not that I'll be buying this game at release anyway, since I'd play it on PC, but want the next gen graphics cards, first.

Starfield

Fo76 was Austin. A branch studio.Dont know what crack you smoking.

Main bethesda never worked on any game after fallout4. This project is from main bethesda.

Stop with your bulshit fake information.
Your information is fake and bullshit.

BGS Maryland did infact work on Fallout 76, the main bulk of the studio that is.

You don't have to be an insider to know that information, go look at the Fallout 76 credits

They already got rid of the jank with FO4 at least on Xbox. It was by far the least buggy big open world game I've ever played.
with "jank" people often refer to the way animations are handled in the engine, "janky moving" etc.. But i guess you could say that to the entirety of the engine (which is now majorily overhauled)

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Your information is fake and bullshit.

BGS Maryland did infact work on Fallout 76, the main bulk of the studio that is.
"With Bethesda Game Studios in Maryland, BGSA co-developed Fallout 76"

It was mainly Austin studio who made the game, with the help from Maryland bethesda.

The Maryland still was busy with starfield engine overhaul.

Starfield

"With Bethesda Game Studios in Maryland, BGSA co-developed Fallout 76"

It was mainly Austin studio who made the game, with the help from Maryland bethesda.

The Maryland still was busy with starfield engine overhaul.
Trust me when I say they were hard working on Fallout 76 too. Didn't even Jason Schreier said so himself? That dude never lies

Top Bottom