• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: "You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

Gold Member
No single person is a "they". It's a plural term.

It doesn't matter what genitalia you have and whether you are pretending you have the opposite or not, you are still just one person.
I know what it means.

It doesn't matter for purposes of a video game.

TrueLegend

There are a number of cases that doesn't fit into the 'nice' world that someone seem to live in.

XX male syndrome - Wikipedia

It's an option that you can ignore and makes a certain group of people feel represented so move the hell on unless you really believe that transgender people don't really exist and it's just a mental health issue but there are plenty of intersex variations (Category:Intersex variations - Wikipedia)
Oh transgenders people exist all right but most of them dont use twitter and most of them are not born as male and female and chose it. Most transgender people suffer and these assholes have only added to their suffering. They live in their fancy twitter world where they have decided amongselves that they will use pronouns and thats the real problem transgenders face.

Also you are citing wikipedia which is an incredibly racist website relying on secondary links whose linking is decided by wikipedia mods who run mafia and charge people heavily for actual edit.Go do your homework properly.

Topher

Gold Member
No "it"?

Fucking, CANCELLED!

Angry Star Wars GIF

What if I want to be She and It at the same time? Where is my "SHEIT" option?

Sheet GIF

I know what it means.

It doesn't matter for purposes of a video game.
The fact that they're spending the time and resources to record all of the game's audio to appease this imaginary gender, apparently it does matter.

No wonder game development costs are out of hand. Developers are doing nonsense like this to appease the woke journalists who will score their games.

LostDonkey

What about my fucking pronouns It/that/meatandpotatopie.

How motherfucking offensive I shall buy this game just to burn it!!!!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Like every capitalist company.
Yeah, I don't mean this to look down on Microsoft, I am just saying that it would be foolish to ignore such a large portion of your customers.

Raven117

Gold Member
The fact that they're spending the time and resources to record all of the game's audio to appease this imaginary gender, apparently it does matter.

No wonder game development costs are out of hand. Developers are doing nonsense like this to appease the woke journalists who will score their games.
Oh, if they have the budget for it (and the publicity that will come along with this), again, what's the harm?

Fake

Don't really understand what you are trying to ask me.

I not asking. Just pointing out that 'what they change matter', well, at least for a selective group of people.

This low argument of 'don't matter', 'nobody care', 'minor change' never stand a chance anw. If something is change, whatever the content, for good or for bad, is because something matter. Maybe not for me, maybe not for you, but matter.

Last edited:

Excess

I'll continue to state that none of this is ever done for benign purposes, and that inclusivity is not what what we believe it to be. In behavioral science, people perform better or become more engaged with an activity if there are already images or examples of people succeeeding in those activities. Character creation is a great way to exploit this human behavior: Developers seek to increase retention, and retention increases conversion. This is also why a lot of it is shoehorned.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Clearly you're not, because I'm not wrong.
You are actually wrong though.

"They" in singular use refers to a person of whom you don't know their gender. This usage has been around for a long time.

Example: Someone calls the police about someone with a deadly weapon. The caller would be asked where "they", which in this case would be the person with a weapon, are or what "they" are doing.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Not exactly. Singular they has been around almost as long as the plural variant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
But hardly ever used. It doesn't really matter that it's grammatically okay, it's confusing as hell. When people start using they you often have no idea if we're dealing with one or multiple individuals. It's horrible use of language.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is a clear need for gender neutral pronouns, even if just for when you don't know the sex of whoever you're referring to, but "they" is a horrible choice.

Woopah

More inclusive the better. Not too many people will use it, but as long as it bring joy to some gamers that's good with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom