• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfox EX, an extensive romhack of the SNES 1993 classic, has dropped today

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

“The Star Fox Team is back! But this time, their mission is to fight for their very existence!

The Mario Bros. have decided that the Star Fox franchise no longer has a place within the grand Nintendo universe, and has set out to destroy the Lylat System forever, with the help of characters from more successful Nintendo IPs! They have also posed as Andross in order to hire the infamous Star Wolf team, a rival band of mercenaries led by Wolf O’Donnell, to distract Star Fox while they pull off their plans! Can Fox and his team put aside their former friendship with the Nintendo All-Stars to save both the Lylat System and everything associated with their franchise?”

Experience the amazing power of the Super NES and the SuperFX chip and take full control of Starfox!

This romhack boasts dozens of amazing additions and features, including, but not limited to:

A brand new map with 17 new levels, new bosses, music, backgrounds, enemies and more!
A 3+ page pre-game menu to customize your experience!
Use the SNES Mouse, Super Scope, NTT Data Pad or Multi-Tap for a new way to play!
Play with 2/3/4/5 people, AI controlled teammates, or ships all controlled by player 1!
Wireframe mode, grid lines, palette changes and more!
Customize your player ship and crosshair style with new crosshair functionality!
A full model test viewer, BGM/SFX test menu and Super Scope Calibration screen!
Experience the passion project that has seen thousands of hours dedicated to it: Starfox: EX

Twitter: @kandowontu
Discord: discord.gg/U4CtzqDGa5

super cool.

Last edited:

D-ray

I've been following the project for some time, and I'm SO happy it finally got finished. I always loved the original Snes Starfox.
Would be even cooler if they made something with Starfox 2, but I rememper one of the guys working on it telling me that it would be harder because of something in the code.

Still, looking forward for this splendid rom hack.

Krathoon

I just put a bunch of games on my mini. I will slip this one on there. See if the canoe emulator can handle it. I found some lesser known snes games in this video.

Romulus

Looks great. As a kid, I always thought it was interesting how the snes had such variety in its capabilities. Add on chips didn't matter to me. I just saw the games for what they were.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Has this version improved the frame-rate and how does it compare to Starfox 2?
yes now instead of 15 fps it runs at 20. it can go up to 30 and 60fps with overclocking. I haven't figured out how to get 60fps working without severe visual bugs on the screen, though

Naked Lunch

I did a full playthru on actual hardware - 1chip SNES with an FXPak Pro.
The game kept crashing for me over and over - till I figured out you have to turn off 'in game hooks' in everdrive settings.

I also tried it on my old retropie 3 using snes9x and it didnt run too well there - better framerate over the og snes for sure but messed up sound and such. Ill have to look into why.

The bosses vs various Nintendo icons - all the different ships you can fly including the Star Wolf guys and even the Star Fox 64 model. The all new stages and bosses.

Simply unbelieveable this stuff is even possible. Still cant wrap my head around it - immensely cool. My 10 year old snesing self would shit a brick knowing this was in the future.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I did a full playthru on actual hardware - 1chip SNES with an FXPak Pro.
The game kept crashing for me over and over - till I figured out you have to turn off 'in game hooks' in everdrive settings.

I also tried it on my old retropie 3 using snes9x and it didnt run too well there - better framerate over the og snes for sure but messed up sound and such. Ill have to look into why.

The bosses vs various Nintendo icons - all the different ships you can fly including the Star Wolf guys and even the Star Fox 64 model. The all new stages and bosses.

Simply unbelieveable this stuff is even possible. Still cant wrap my head around it - immensely cool. My 10 year old snesing self would shit a brick knowing this was in the future.
this could easily have passed in 1995 for a starfox sequel- ignoring all the cheats in the main menu, OFC

nkarafo

Is it really 60 fps? On real hardware?
Has this version improved the frame-rate and how does it compare to Starfox 2?
yes now instead of 15 fps it runs at 20. it can go up to 30 and 60fps with overclocking. I haven't figured out how to get 60fps working without severe visual bugs on the screen, though

Nope. Just, no.

This isn't any different than playing the regular, unmodded game on Zsnes or by overclocking the FX chip in any other emulator. You don't need a hack/mod for this. Yes, the game will run at a higher frame rate but only because it will run in FAST FORWARD as well. This isn't how the game should run and there is no hack or mod in existence that improve the frame rate without messing up the pacing of the game. And this mod is another one in the pile of all the other hacks that claim the same function.

I mean, i tested it myself on a capable enough PC and it's the same old crap, increase the frame rate to finish the level 3x faster as you normally would (the rest of the features are nice though). To be fair i think this particular mod has made the levels longer than the originals, by stretching them or something, to compensate for the faster pacing a bit. I know because the music had just enough time to complete a single loop (in the original game there isn't enough time for a loop if you play at 60fps IIRC). Which is nice but that means if you play it at the original frame rate it will take longer to finish than normal.

Just forget about "proper" 60fps Starfox already, it's never going to happen. At least not with the original game without major changes to compensate for the wrong pacing.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying, I was seeing it written on news articles and thinking it was too good to be true.

I saw some videos on youtube, and while fluid, the music wasn't right.
it's still a palpable improvement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom