• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Started Star Ocean: The Divine Force. I'm a big Star Ocean fan, but so far, ehhh... Anyone play this?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone play it? I'm curious if I should press on or drop it. Some games take some time to pick up. I'm a big Star Ocean fan, I even loved The Last Hope. This one feels really cheap though. In the very first cinematic, the audio was delayed and it kept getting framerate drops and lag, and I picked framerate mode too. Immediately not a good sign. Haven't had many issues like that since, but I find the areas totally dull, full of the same enemies, but Star Ocean is mainly about combat. As long as the combat was great I'd stick with it. This feels way more gimmicky than recent entries. Having you spam the DUMA thing over and over to trigger blindsides feels really repetitive. I'm sure they'll introduce more combat mechanics along the way, so I'm curious if anyone has finished the game and your thoughts on it.

(and on a side note, I remember a time where SO soundtracks used to be great. So far I've lowered the volume and been playing podcasts while playing)

Comandr

As someone who loves Star Ocean, even 4 for as stupid as it can be, I really disliked the new one. I thought DUMA was lame and just couldn’t … bring myself to care.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
star-ocean-the-divine-force-nina.jpg

Zuzu

I'm playing through it right now. It's ok. I like the combat system a fair amount. The world is inert, but graphics and performance are quite good on the PS5.

Fbh

The demo was enough to make me skip the game.

I don't know how Tri Ace is still around. When was the last time they made a truly great game? 2005?
I guess Resonance of Fate had cool combat and that was 2010, but everything else about it kinda sucked,

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I got stuck and didn't know what to do. Stopped playing after that. Didn't feel like looking up YouTube walk-throughs. Honestly it's a waste of $60. Nothing to do in wide open environments. Just running from point to point.

I didn't enjoy it. It was more of an impulse buy when it came out. Never again.

DW74

Was it a flop? I didn't see any sales numbers. But if it did flop, as I suspect it did, I do believe Tri-Ace will be shuttered. Their last SO game was shit. And in this current industry, if you aren't a major player, you don't get 2 strikes.

Many dev houses didn't get ONE strike.

Lasha

I've never player till the end of time. How should I play it? Does the PS4 version still have crash issues?

Not a star ocean guy but I thought I'd give it a try with this one.

I sort of liked it, but it's definitely rough around the edges. Some really great ideas that don't get properly capitalized on, but do lead to some enjoyment like the contrast of future space lazergun people hanging out with medieval wizard people. One of those real time combat jrpgs that feels like an overly simple action game more than a deep tactical game, and the environments are very large and very bland for the most part. Some fun characters. I don't know, it's got its problems but I played it all the way to the end so it had some kind of charm.

I'd say if you press on it probably will get better, but it never gets really good. If you're already thinking you want to stop even though you're a star ocean fan that's probably the way to go.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I haven't beat the game, but the rest of the game gives that same cheap feeling. The story and charters are is pretty meh. Not horrible, but I don't really have much attachment to any of the characters beyond their abilities.

I bought the game because I'm a big star Ocean fan, but I just got bored of the game after
rescuing the robo ninja guy

I wanted to like the game, but it didn't hold me.

Tri Ace has no money and most of their really talented people are gone. They were never really A tier devs outside of Valkyrie Profile. Made a ton of fun, decent, mid tier (and usually flawed) JRPGs every gen. The problem with this one is RPGs have gotten more sophisticated but Divine Force feels almost exactly like of one of their PS2 games, maybe even worse. Not sure if glad they're still around.

SO4 had the most space adventure feel of the series, but the most annoying cast. SO2 is the best overall.

Esca

I enjoyed the demo. Bought the game and after around 25 hours I called it quits. I was enjoying it mostly till the first maybe 20 hours and it was downhill. I regret buying it and that is very very rare for me

Arsic

Gold Member
After all the raving reviews I was on board. Tried close to two hours and steam refunded.

I couldn’t be bothered. This is just junk tier gaming for the absolute lowest care for quality in anything gamers. If you play every shovel ware dog shit JRPG from Japan then this is your jam. This was to me on par with the worst 360 JRPGs Square put out.

Star ocean peaked with second story, ruined the entire franchise lore with the ending reveal of 3, and continued to shovel out shit since. Everything is a video game world so there is 0 stakes. Who cares if anyone dies or the universe ends ? It ain’t real even in their lore.

Doom85

It had some issues, particularly too many cutscenes around the 60-80% mark, but overall I had fun with it. Nothing stood out, but I had an enjoyable enough time.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Doom85

I've never player till the end of time. How should I play it? Does the PS4 version still have crash issues?

Not played it myself, but IIRC according to people on gamefaqs as long as you avoid having the mini-map displayed at its largest setting (I’m guessing there are different size options), the crashing issue is greatly reduced.

Graciaus

It's fun traveling around but the game itself isn't that great. The combat system is terribly balanced and isn't that fun after the initial few hours. The story goes no where for most of the game. The characters are decent some I liked much more than others. Item creation isn't as deep as past games.

It's decent. If you are bored it isn't going to get better.

begotten

I thought the demo was interesting but have just been waiting for it to become cheaper. It was a lot better than the other SE demo offerings at the time in Diofield & Valkyrie Elysium.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I liked the exploration and combat system. And how you can make your own combos. It's an average game and will probably be slept on.

PanzerCute

I really enjoyed the first 25 hours but the last 10 hours were infuriating with so many useless cutscenes, and half-baked zones. Bosses were really cool tho.

This was my first Star Ocean, and I quite liked it.

lyan

The demo was enough to make me skip the game.

I don't know how Tri Ace is still around. When was the last time they made a truly great game? 2005?
I guess Resonance of Fate had cool combat and that was 2010, but everything else about it kinda sucked,
The Star Ocean mobile game (which ended service in 2021) probably made more money than all their prior games combined.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm confused... as a true star ocean fan you should be used to this disappointment. It's star ocean, we haven't truly had a good game since 3. Everything else has been awful to "good enough".

I'm still pissed they they skipped EU for the collectors edition this time around, you know the area that stastically buys more JRPG's than America...

Last edited:
Top Bottom