• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play Event Could Happening Next Week

mejin

waiting-finger-tapping.gif

I want a showcase not a state of play. Are they really going to wait until September for that?
Its too early for a showcase. Last year's showcase happened in Sep.

Most of the games shown at the showcase are usually ways out. So I am thinking we will see the showcase in the Fall again this year in preparation for the games being released in 2023 and early 2024.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol Kaz's tweet probably has nothing to do with a potential State of Play. They've been teasing new cars with cryptic images since GT Sport. It's a tradition at this point. A SoP could happen, but I would be surprised if they showed GT7 content.
Yeah, he has been dropping them for every update on GT7 the past couple of months. They are unrelated.

Cory and crew teasing GoWR on the other hand...

yeah, Sony has two big releases this year and they will likely just do State of Plays for them closer to release. I wouldnt expect a GOW state of play until October and TLOU state of play until August.

They might skip the September showcase altogether. They revealed just two new games last year and both had either CG or cinematic trailers. Yes, it's insomniac but i doubt they will have gameplay trailers ready for them in just one year. I think Sony will just do an E3 style show next year in June. The TLOU factions doesnt seem to be ready to be shown this year so thats next year too. Cory's new IP is likely put on the backburner to ensure GOW gets out this year so thats likely next year too. Ghosts of Tsushima 2, Death Stranding 2 which just started shooting, and Sony Bend's new IP might be ready for a reveal next year.

I agree. See above.
I'm pretty sure we'll get a showcase style presentation this year and I think news on GoW won't be able to wait for it unless it's really delayed. Sony just knows that the E3 timeframe makes no sense anymore for them.

I think there's too much on the pipeline for them finish the year without a proper E3 style showcase. TLoU Part I will have a window of 3 months between being announced and released and GoW Ragnarok might still be a 2022 all bets are off at this point.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Come on Sony show us that GOW: Ragnarok gameplay presentation with a 2022 release date.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
yeah, Sony has two big releases this year and they will likely just do State of Plays for them closer to release. I wouldnt expect a GOW state of play until October and TLOU state of play until August.

They might skip the September showcase altogether. They revealed just two new games last year and both had either CG or cinematic trailers. Yes, it's insomniac but i doubt they will have gameplay trailers ready for them in just one year. I think Sony will just do an E3 style show next year in June. The TLOU factions doesnt seem to be ready to be shown this year so thats next year too. Cory's new IP is likely put on the backburner to ensure GOW gets out this year so thats likely next year too. Ghosts of Tsushima 2, Death Stranding 2 which just started shooting, and Sony Bend's new IP might be ready for a reveal next year.

I agree. See above.
I don't see them skipping their big show this year, they'll likely want to show some more games for the 1st half of 2023

Joey.

I'm hoping for a Playstation Showcase type production. Not the typical SOP.
But I'll take anything at this point lol...

I don’t really like the format of these (from what I can recall at least). I would prefer an in person host with a bit more spontaneity and energy.

CamHostage

Regarding PSVR2, if the GT7 is something more than just announcing another random game update or its movie, I think it will be the announcement of full PSVR2 support in GT7.

Probably just a content update, though I think one thing I'd be excited to check out (if it ever happens) would be an announcement of in-race RT for Gran Turismo 7.

...I don't have a lot of confidence that it'll ever happen (they currently can't do better than 30fps RT in replays, and there's not much evidence that the Sony tech library has built in any significant way to leapfrog over the current implementation,) but it would be fun if GT could somehow go for it and have a mode that adds more competition to talk about vs FM by the time that comes out. Forza ultimately would probably keep the upper hand with its newer and current-gen-optimized engine (and if nothing else, it has the amazing damage model that GT would never go for,) but it'd be fun to see the two racers jockey around a bit more in the lead-up to Forza's launch.

yurinka

Probably just a content update, though I think one thing I'd be excited to check out (if it ever happens) would be an announcement of in-race RT for Gran Turismo 7.

...I don't have a lot of confidence that it'll ever happen (they currently can't do better than 30fps RT in replays, and there's not much evidence that the Sony tech library has built in any significant way to leapfrog over the current implementation,) but it would be fun if GT could somehow go for it and have a mode that adds more competition to talk about vs FM by the time that comes out. Forza ultimately would probably keep the upper hand with its newer and current-gen-optimized engine (and if nothing else, it has the amazing damage model that GT would never go for,) but it'd be fun to see the two racers jockey around a bit more in the lead-up to Forza's launch.
I'm not very confident on seeing these games running at 4K 60fps + RT on a console during gameplay. Maybe in a mode at a lower resolution and/or at 30fps. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm not very confident on seeing these games running at 4K 60fps + RT on a console during gameplay. Maybe in a mode at a lower resolution and/or at 30fps. We'll have to wait and see.

Sure, I feel I had to let it go when GT7 came out and couldn't do in-race RT, same as Forza Horizon 5 (both after Spider-Man MM, which launched without RT and did add RT reflections in later, at 60 but not 4K and on buildings. It just seemed like a feature to never expect.) But then when Forza announced its bag of tricks, including 4K 60 RT, and sure, that's over a year later on an engine customized for only Xbox Series (also you can look at where it compromises and get some comprehension of how it's pulling the jump off,) but I would like enjoy seeing a counterpunch from the PS competition (or a third party, as we haven't seen Criterion's NFS or some other notable race studios) before Forza's Spring 2023 release. I want a good clean race between these racing titans, and right now GT only has the advantage of time, so it's a little bit of I just want it to want it. If it never happens, so be it, Forza deserves its victory lap either way, but I'd like to see them bunch up tighter as the finish line approaches.

(*And really, I don't know how much RT reflections in-race would really matter? It's details that do add up, but cubemaps do a lot of good work quite efficiently and the things it can't do are things difficult to notice while driving 100+MPH... but details are details.)

Top Bottom