• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | February 23, 2023

jm89

Sony pays for third party exclusives, so I had hopes!
giphy.gif

I’m just really glad Sony stopped going to E3, it’s clearly been so much better for the fans just like they promised.

But in all seriousness are all the people that acted happy that Sony left e3 and all the Geoff knightly fans ready to admit that E3 being gone has been awful?

Also is Sony ever going to do a showcase again or do you think they feel the lead is so big they don’t have to hype up anyone anymore?

Bartski

Gold Member
RE4R trailer rocked.

Humanity looks like a damn cool modern take on lemmings and it's coming to VR.
Speaking of which, all those VR games looked rather underwhelming... but after having my socks blown off today by REVIII gunplay in VR, which had literally the worst feeling shooting in any RE game ever imo... I'm not making judgments of VR games after seeing trailers on a flat screen anymore.

As for Suicide Squad, as someone who beat all Rocksteady Batman games - I see nothing there that would make me wanna play it, hard pass.

nbkicker

For me if streetfighter and re4 not been shown this would have been total waste, plus just found out that foglands vr game shown at start is also coming for quest 2 and pcvr so still no rush for me to go out and get a psvr2, suicide squad i feel so sorry for rocksteady i just dont see this selling

Pedro Motta

Rocksteady is dead. How the mighty has fallen....

Not sure what Sony's aim was with this show. But this ain't it.
I think for me and most hardcore gamers this show was a pice a shit no doubt. But Sony does have a role to play with their partners and selling games is their business. These games are not for us but they are something to a lot of people.

YukiOnna

I’m just really glad Sony stopped going to E3, it’s clearly been so much better for the fans just like they promised.

But in all seriousness are all the people that acted happy that Sony left e3 and all the Geoff knightly fans ready to admit that E3 being gone has been awful?

Also is Sony ever going to do a showcase again or do you think they feel the lead is so big they don’t have to hype up anyone anymore?
I'm a Geoff shill and I think E3 going has been a huge mistake since the beginning. Moving away from trade show and traditional conference has lead to a monumental waste of time and misunderstanding of what makes Nintendo Directs work. Zero fun or any build up to major annual events.

zomboden

Banned
Only interesting thing for me was BG3 on PS5. I know we knew the length of the Justice League game section before the stream but man it was way too long. Didn't look enticing to me at all. Live service gear score based game with a battle pass and MTX.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If I add the things you liked as positives thats 1 for SS, 1 for Humanity and 0.5 for SF6.

That's 2.5/10.
Well, I mean I was indifferent about the other stuff so I didn't take points off for it. I thought overall it was an okay show. Not fantastic, but not god awful.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Imagine publishing Hogwarts Legacy and being dowsed in absolute critical and commercial praise but then one of your other studios shows off the steaming pile of dog crap that is Suicide Squad. Actually lmao rn

I would be laughing if it wasn't so sad that Rocksteady has gone from brilliant single player action adventures to this co-op GAAS garbage in 1 game.

I thought that was RE5. Never played 4 though...
It was both. The horror from RE 4 mostly comes from the tension of being overwhelmed rather than the tension of the unknown. It's a lot like how Left 4 Dead is mainly scary when your team is being mobbed by a ton of zombies while a licker, boomer, and hunter are also on the field causing a ton of chaos and splitting up your team.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would be laughing if it wasn't so sad that Rocksteady has gone from brilliant single player action adventures to this co-op GAAS garbage in 1 game.
They made 1 good game and then remade it bigger twice. Technically competent, but a little overrated. Here they remain technically competent but can't come up with a compelling 2nd game. Dont know why more people can't see that they did not show a lot of depth.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They made 1 good game and then remade it bigger twice. Technically competent, but a little overrated. Here they remain technically competent but can't come up with a compelling 2nd game. Dont know why more people can't see that they did not show a lot of depth.

I suppose. But it was still three great games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was both. The horror from RE 4 mostly comes from the tension of being overwhelmed rather than the tension of the unknown. It's a lot like how Left 4 Dead is mainly scary when your team is being mobbed by a ton of zombies while a licker, boomer, and hunter are also on the field causing a ton of chaos and splitting up your team.
So then not like RE7 at all. Or Silent hill. I played RE2 and RE3 remake and somehow I feel like the boost in graphics kinda ruined a bit of the horror. Also the streamlined controls. RE1 and 2 with the awkward controls made things much more...hair raising i guess because I just knew my character had questionable aim and moved in a way that was borderline disorienting. After RE2 (original) I didn't pick up another RE game til 5. It was good but for the reasons I expected it to be.

Interesting to find out that trend actually start with 4, not 5.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Praying for that one random Asian SoP they throw at us once in a blue moon at this point.
All of their State of Play directs in 2022 were mostly focused on East Asian games and they were excellent except for the one in March. They just got back to 2021 tier with this one.

Katajx

Gold Member
Suicide Squad looked okay…I am disappointed in the characters they chose. I like the idea of seeing a story from the villains side, but…I would have liked something like a Joker, Deathstroke, Katana, or some meta villain.

Talking about post launch and then they mentioned new playable characters and I was excited for a moment…then I came down to earth and realized it would probably be Peacemaker if we are lucky.

I’m also not really big on it being so much of a shooter. It seems fast and there is a lot of momentum, but as a shooter and their trailer cut it reminded me a little bit of Fortnite.

Street Fighter 6 still looks cool, and I liked the new looks at Cammy and Zangief. I have put off playing RE4 so long that I was pretty excited for the look on the gameplay.

People can hate me for being a fan of the more action type ones, but it looked like a good mix of old and new, and I just can’t wait to play it.

If this was a the cap to like a ReMake trilogy it looks like it improves on the other two and my middle son and I are sure to be satisfied.

YukiOnna

All of their State of Play directs in 2022 were mostly focused on East Asian games and they were excellent except for the one in March. They just got back to 2021 tier with this one.
They were on a good streak especially in the last couple, but yeah. I felt with this one they could have just posted it on Youtube channel and called it a day.

So then not like RE7 at all. Or Silent hill. I played RE2 and RE3 remake and somehow I feel like the boost in graphics kinda ruined a bit of the horror. Also the streamlined controls. RE1 and 2 with the awkward controls made things much more...hair raising i guess because I just knew my character had questionable aim and moved in a way that was borderline disorienting. After RE2 (original) I didn't pick up another RE game til 5. It was good but for the reasons I expected it to be.

Interesting to find out that trend actually start with 4, not 5.
Making things actually scary has been a long running issue in quite a few AAA horror games, one reason being because back then devs partially relied on the controls being a part of the horror...until the controls became better. This also applies to original RE 4 and RE 5 because you had to stop to shoot, which added that tension to most encounters. RE 5 did have very, very slight movement when aiming but it was so slow that it might as well not have been there.

The new horror in today's age is difficulty. Playing any souls-like and being afraid to turn a corner is what's in now and honestly I'm not mad at it.

However, it might be years until we see or experience something like P.T. as a full game. It takes a visionary of horror, the trust of a publisher, and massive budget to create what many like yourself are looking for. Or just a remake I guess 🤷‍♂️

I'll be glad when the Fortnite trend chasing era is over. We are surely at the tail end of it now right?
GAF's Law of Fortnite

When a topic has nothing to do with Fortnite, somehow, some way, a GAF poster will find a way to make Fortnite the root cause.

Katajx

Gold Member
Don't forget guys, Sony bought Bungie and contracted them to help develop what, like 10 or 12 future live service games? This gaas stuff isn't dying its just getting started ..
Bungie might help with the blueprint, but they are not making 10 or 12 live service games with them unless they are counting Destiny updates.

They wanted to chase live service, and it’s probably another IP they want to branch outside of being just a video game.

Yoboman

GAF's Law of Fortnite

When a topic has nothing to do with Fortnite, somehow, some way, a GAF poster will find a way to make Fortnite the root cause.
I have nothing against Fortnite but the movement and shooting, camera, colour grading all looks very Fortnite. Won't be shocked if the game has dance moves too

Fortnite did it's own thing and was successful. Too many games since trying to capture that aesthetic and vibe

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Don't forget guys, Sony bought Bungie and contracted them to help develop what, like 10 or 12 future live service games? This gaas stuff isn't dying its just getting started ..
You're saying this in the year where like 5 gaas games are shutting down already lol

There's only a few gaas games that this market can sustain....Sony might have fucked themselves going after that money now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean they skipped a showcase last year and we were told it was because of the activision nonsense. Well, they had nothing other than a bunch of PS4 games last year. And nothing other than a VR title this year.

At some point, we have to realize that Sony studios take 5 years to make games now and even if by some miracle we get a first party showcase this year, those games arent coming out any time soon.

I bet Sony does a State of play for Spiderman come E3 time and thats all they will have until Insomniac is ready with Wolverine in holiday 2024. GG, SSM, Bend, Sucker Punch and BP are likely all 2025-2027.

Baldurs Gate 3 day date with pc is the real megaton. No need for me to hunch over my laptop for hours on end. At least one big western rpg is coming to ps5 this year.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean they skipped a showcase last year and we were told it was because of the activision nonsense. Well, they had nothing other than a bunch of PS4 games last year. And nothing other than a VR title this year.

At some point, we have to realize that Sony studios take 5 years to make games now and even if by some miracle we get a first party showcase this year, those games arent coming out any time soon.

I bet Sony does a State of play for Spiderman come E3 time and thats all they will have until Insomniac is ready with Wolverine in holiday 2024. GG, SSM, Bend, Sucker Punch and BP are likely all 2025-2027.
I agree as I do not think the Acti deal is holding up Sony showing stuff

I think people need to realize Sony put out some major titles in a hurry in about a 2 year span but its going to be a dry spell for a bit yet outside of SM2

I have nothing against Fortnite but the movement and shooting, camera, colour grading all looks very Fortnite. Won't be shocked if the game has dance moves too

Fortnite did it's own thing and was successful. Too many games since trying to capture that aesthetic and vibe
I guess I just don't see what you see. We could argue back and forth about how Fortnite took a ton of game mechanics from other games and even game modes(if anyone remembers that Among Us mode they just happened to 'create') to add together into what we see today, but I think Fortnite would just get the collective blame anyway.

That's why it's more fun to just make it a GAF law instead. It's like the 'those darn millennials' of gaming forums.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I skimmed through it. Had a good laugh when I saw Volcano High pop up again.

Pretty much shook my head through the whole Suicide Squad bit. I saw it coming, but it still hurts to see Rocksteady fall so far. Silver lining is we'll always have those original Arkham games. They've aged quite well.

Top Bottom