• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | Oct. 27th, 2021 (Up: Poll added)

How would you rate this State of Play?

• Total voters

sendit

bad movies endless trash GIF
Can you not talk about Gamepass in a Sony thread?

Who in there right mind would go out and buy a PS5 on the basis of that show?

Sure they've increased the exposure of certain games but look at the reaction, they've done nothing to satisfy the people who are eager to tune into these things.

The more they put out mediocre shows like this the less that will be tuning into the next one.

They've put out dozens of these mediocre shows already, and people still tune into them regardless.

It works. You'll probably be here for the next one too, and the next one after that. They do their job as filler.

Last edited:

Salz01

It was extremely under whelming. Little devil inside looks cool, but it honestly looked a bit smoother the first time they showed it. It’s like this version was running on PS4. It also seems still always off, like another year. Getting tired of cross generation games. Rest of the games would have been best to do a random tues trailer drop. Deaths Door is already on Xbox. Not sure if this is still all because of Covid, but these state of plays are becoming more and more under whelming.

Matsuchezz

The show was packed with fillers for me, Little Devil inside looks fun, but the presentation was not good. I was not expecting anything from the show so i was not disappointed. Well now that i think about it. There was not deathloop DLC. BIG BUMMER!!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They've put out dozens of these mediocre shows already, and people still tune into them regardless.

It works. You'll probably be here for the next one too, and the next one after that. They do their job as filler.

so just get used to disappointment?
Sounds like an awesome tag line

Nah, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice you know the rest...

The other shows were average but this took it new levels.

It's clear that State of Play's will never be worthwhile at this point lol.

Nah, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice you know the rest...

The other shows were average but this took it new levels.

It's clear that State of Play's will never be worthwhile at this point lol.

It's really not hard. If they're going to show something substanital, they'll tell you before hand. Just like they did with the Horizon SoP. Just like they did with TLOU2 SoP.

Just want to just watch the big ones? Then ignore the SoP and just stick with the showcases.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I missed this as I was out with work friends but my god reading the last ten pages has just been amazing. Thanks GAF, I love you 😍 hahaha.

sounds like it was not a good showing, but the posts on here made up for it.

I planned on watching this and got annoyed just a moment ago realizing that I missed it, though reading these comments now I’m glad I did lol

T0minator

Didn't enjoy it at all really. I guess theres still a big audience in Japan and other parts of the world for the kinda stuff they showed. Not every show has to appeal to me and the "hardcore" gamer. They've already shown the hardcore the games are coming they had to show a different crowd something to get excited for today

XXL

It was lame. It could have been a twitter post.

Little Devil Inside looks like it could be great though.

Lognor

Banned
Just caught this after work. And wow, that was bad! Not even a single interesting game. With Sony revealing their own AAA content outside of state of plays these shows have become pointless for me. At least Nintendo manages to show them interesting indies. Sony shows the worst shit. Probably because they're not typically buying marketing rights to indies so they're not going to get the big hitters

S0ULZB0URNE

This years State Of Plays have been major letdowns.

If you are going to do indies, why not at least show Salt and Sacrifice?

decisions

You think people would temper expectations after Sony called the event where they actually had a decent amount of stuff to show "Playstation Showcase" and not "State of Play", but I guess not.

It is easily inferred that State of Play is meant to be for smaller updates.

Last edited:
No. State of Plays are fine. You know when they have a big showcase becuause they don't call them State of Plays.

You guys just seriously never learn
Sony has been in this industry long enough to understand what their fanbase want to see. Doing events like today only puts these games in a negative light and disappoints their fan base.

They could have released a blog post for this instead of holding a live event and setting themselves up for unnecessary blowback.

Who is tuning into a live PS event to watch trailers for Bugsnax DLC and Five Nights at Freddy? lol

Last edited:
Sony has been in this industry long enough to understand what their fanbase want to see. Doing events like today only puts these games in a negative light and disappointment their fan base.

They could have released a blog post for this instead of holding a live event and setting themselves up for unnecessary blowback.

Who is tuning into a live PS event to watch trailers for Bugsnax DLC and Five Nights at Freddy? lol

Their options are

Chuck togeth a short video that people will actually watch, and recieve blowback by the usual angry internet nerds who'll just forget after a couple of days.

or

Do it in a blogpost that no one reads and offend no one

Seems like a no brainer to me

Last edited:
Forgot this was on bur managed to watch it on YouTube an hour after it aired… thank god I didn’t waste my time, pretty much forwarded the enitre video. Absolute shambles.

Their options are

Chuck togeth a short video that people will actually watch, and recieve blowback by the usual angry internet nerds who'll just forget after a couple of days.

or

Do it in a blogpost that no one reads and offend no one

Seems like a no brainer to me
Option 3:

Wait until you have better games to add to the video so it will balance out the show. This way, you don't completely disappointment people and lower the excitement for the other State of plays going forward.

This show was focused on 3rd party only and there are a lot of solid 3rd party games coming so they didn't have an excuse to put out this crappy state of play

Option 3:

Wait until you have better games to add to the video so it will balance out the show. This way, you don't completely disappointment people and lower the excitement for the other State of plays going forward.

This show was focused on 3rd party only and there are a lot of solid 3rd party games coming so they didn't have an excuse to put out this crappy state of play

Lol that's a load of bullshit

It doesn't matter what games they show if it's still indie/AA. If its not filled with AAA stuff then it'll get the same reception all the time

Not every game is going to appeal to you. Get over it and move on.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Just got through watching it a couple of minutes ago. As a news/game update it was alright. I'm still interested in the devil inside and I like the Star Ocean series so this was a good show for me. Kinda wish Star Ocean was revealed in a slightly bigger show.

Vaelka

Didn't enjoy it at all really. I guess theres still a big audience in Japan and other parts of the world for the kinda stuff they showed. Not every show has to appeal to me and the "hardcore" gamer. They've already shown the hardcore the games are coming they had to show a different crowd something to get excited for today

Sony exclusives are like the last thing I think of when I think of '' hardcore gamer '' lol.
They're like the most normie things ever.

Or any other exclusives for that matter, they're made for mass appeal for mums and dads and ppl who wants to turn their brains off and button mash away.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a matter of respecting your audience and their time.
This so much. They need to respect our time. They knew we would never watch 30 minutes of indie trailers on youtube. However, if they released them as part of a State of Play and labeled them third parties instead of indies, people would definitely tune in to watch.

What's crazy and no one seems to be talking about is just how little they have to show this year. Remember they skipped E3 this year. Their september show was underwhelming with an inengine trailer for spiderman, a cg trailer for wolverine and a last gen trailer for GoW. The rest of it was utterly forgettable. I cant name you a single third party game that stood out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who in there right mind would go out and buy a PS5 on the basis of that show?

Sure they've increased the exposure of certain games but look at the reaction, they've done nothing to satisfy the people who are eager to tune into these things.

The more they put out mediocre shows like this the less that will be tuning into the next one.

It doesn't matter.

If they have big competitive announcements to make they'll do a longer showcase of their own OR simply reveal at the TGA's or whatever!

We're heading into blockbuster season where the big annual releases suck most of the air out of the room, and for the new year they've already announced Horizon, GoW, and Gran Turismo. They are basically set til 2023 already.

Worst piece of gaming material I have ever witnessed, no kidding. Burn everything with fire including Star Ocean that looked very rough, unfortunately. And on a day they missed their obligatory PS Plus announcement, no less (that according to leaks is worst month in living memory). What a shitshow from Sony.

T0minator

Sony exclusives are like the last thing I think of when I think of '' hardcore gamer '' lol.
They're like the most normie things ever.

Or any other exclusives for that matter, they're made for mass appeal for mums and dads and ppl who wants to turn their brains off and button mash away.
What's wrong with games that have a mass appeal? That show isn't going to have any mass appeal or get anyone to really say I need a PS5 now.. Sony's done a great job since launch to pump out the games so I commend them for that. But the show today was not appealing to me or most people at all

Top Bottom