• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | Oct. 27th, 2021 (Up: Poll added)

How would you rate this State of Play?

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We're heading into blockbuster season where the big annual releases suck most of the air out of the room, and for the new year they've already announced Horizon, GoW, and Gran Turismo. They are basically set til 2023 already.
lol I thought it was funny how he asked who would go buy a PS5 and you replied with a bunch of games that are also coming out on PS4. ;p
Who in there right mind would go out and buy a PS5 on the basis of that show?
But the real question is who would buy a PS5 based on that show, and he's got a valid point. They are marketing playstation with these State of Plays. The goal is to make you buy a PS5. Why would anyone buy a PS5 to play these indie games? It's a waste of marketing dollars. It's a waste of everyone's time. And it hurts the brand and the product. Anyone who watches this show randomly on youtube will look at this thing and wonder just where are the big games? Not everyone knows they had an event last month where they had those big hitters. sort of. These state of plays typically end up on the trending page, and as a commercial for the PS5, this is a pretty shit one.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
State of Play?!!!
Sad No Way GIF by Sixt

State of play...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hope the kart game is good, because I think the world could use more good ones.

Little Devil Inside is looking to be a winner - let's hope they stick the landing.

Nothing else there interested me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony has been in this industry long enough to understand what their fanbase want to see. Doing events like today only puts these games in a negative light and disappointment their fan base.

What metrics are you using to formulate that opinion? The State of Play is getting way more likes than dislikes on multiple streams and it's keeping the PlayStation name in the conversation. It's also giving a ton of exposure to smaller 3rd party titles which keeps Sony is good graces with developers. Sonys fanbase is much more than the AAA exclusives or bust crowd.

Sony has been in this industry long enough to understand what their fanbase want to see. Doing events like today only puts these games in a negative light and disappointment their fan base.

They could have released a blog post for this instead of holding a live event and setting themselves up for unnecessary blowback.

Who is tuning into a live PS event to watch trailers for Bugsnax DLC and Five Nights at Freddy? lol
lol screw off mate, the world doesn't revolve around us core video game enthusiasts.

Sony's brand encompasses ALL ages.

Us fucks who are above the age of 20 and beyond should shut the front door and zip our mouths every now and then to let Sony cater to their other audiences that are not spending a single minute of their time in a gaming forum, and catching up on the latest gaming news.

Negative light my ass, you overgrown self-entitled man child.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
There was a big controversy a few months ago saying that "Sony hates indies" (and Japan) with multiple articles about it so now they are giving them a big spotlight.

It might suck for hardcore gamers but that's the price to pay when the gaming media is always on your back.

Death's Door was also on every list war since it came out and now it's trash because it's not exclusive anymore? lol

What metrics are you using to formulate that opinion? The State of Play is getting way more likes than dislikes on multiple streams and it's keeping the PlayStation name in the conversation. It's also giving a ton of exposure to smaller 3rd party titles which keeps Sony is good graces with developers. Sonys fanbase is much more than the AAA exclusives or bust crowd.

lol screw off mate, the world doesn't revolve around us core video game enthusiasts.

Sony's brand encompasses ALL ages.

Us fucks who are above the age of 20 and beyond should shut the front door and zip our mouths every now and then to let Sony cater to their other audiences that are not spending a single minute of their time in a gaming forum, and catching up on the latest gaming news.

Negative light my ass, you overgrown self-entitled man child.
Go read the comments from the showcase video. It is overwhelmingly negative including the feedback in this forum and on social media.

Age has nothing to do with it, take your PS hat off and stop defending mediocrity. Sony does not have you on the payroll.

Last edited:
Go read the comments from the showcase video. It is overwhelmingly negative including the feedback in this forum and on social media.

Age has nothing to do with it, take your PS hat off and stop defending mediocrity. Sony does not have you on the payroll.
Yeah, because i'm about to see 6 year olds on twitter posting about this.

I am not saying that this was an amazing State of Play, it's total shit except for one game, but i'm not sitting here going "aw man, screw Sony for this" because I don't think there was any hype behind it, they never said for us to expect big announcements, and it's obvious this State of Play is catering towards their younger demographic.

I mean, come on, Five Nights at Freddy's? Bugsnax? This was most certainly not geared to us forum dwelling gaming enthusiasts and not once was it marketing and hyped up to be so.

Therefore, if I were to put those facts together, moaning and groaning over today's state of play is the equivalent of being a child and complaining over something you were never promised.

SSfox

It was better than excepted tbh, i though they're gonna bombard us with more COD, GTAV, Marvel and some other crab. But there was KOF new character and beta, new Star Ocean game (huge awesome surprise), and little devil seems to be a good game.

Yeah, because i'm about to see 6 year olds on twitter posting about this.

I am not saying that this was an amazing State of Play, it's total shit except for one game, but i'm not sitting here going "aw man, screw Sony for this" because I don't think there was any hype behind it, they never said for us to expect big announcements, and it's obvious this State of Play is catering towards their younger demographic.

I mean, come on, Five Nights at Freddy's? Bugsnax? This was most certainly not geared to us forum dwelling gaming enthusiasts and not once was it marketing and hyped up to be so.

Therefore, if I were to put those facts together, moaning and groaning over today's state of play is the equivalent of being a child and complaining over something you were never promised.

So if you agree that the state of play wasn’t good. What are you defending exactly?

I never said “screw Sony” and I don’t think anyone here insinuated that. This is why you got to take the PS hat off because you are looking at any critic of Sony as “an attack” when it’s not even that deep.

You also keep bring up age as if “kids” aren’t playing Call of duty and GTA. Where in the press release for the state of play did you see “this showcase will only be for kids so adults please don’t watch”…..Video games are played by people of all ages especially now so I don’t even understand that talking point.

My critique was simple, when you put together a live event like this, more care and thought has to go into it are else it just ends up feeling like a missed opportunity/disappointment and that’s what this felt like.

This is why I bought a PS5 wooooohoooooo

No I didn't and won't. Sony is yet to convince me why their PS5 is worth all the trouble and all that money. Xbox has been doing a better job at that but I'm not in a hurry. 1 year Sony, almost 1 damn year and not a game that sells me on the PS5.

Last edited:
KOF had tiddies
Star Ocean is weeb paradise
Little Devil looks cozy af but idk how it will play

Rest was somewhere between cringe and boring.

LMJ

I suppose I am the odd man out here, but honestly for a SOP I thought it was just fine... I would give it a B

Deathverse
looked like a potentially cool free to play and looks to have more death then it's predecessor

OFK certainly doesn't look like something I will enjoy, but at least their making their own game rather than "wokifying" an existing one lol

Five nights at Freddy's looks pretty cool in an 80's arcade kind of way

Bugsnax is what looks like a hefty DLC...and it's free

KOF IV looks great

FirstClassTrouble looks rough, but the premise is cool, and looks to have considerably more depth to it's sabotage than Among Us

KartRider looks like it could be a fun Kracer, would need to see more, but they showed alot of creative takedowns and drifting lol

DeathsDoor looked okay, not my cup of tea but eh (people on Xbox say it's great on GP)

StarOcean the Divine Force looks great, albeit early (same could be said for so many games in the showcase)

Little Devil Inside Game of the show, looks great, but need to see what kind of gameplay it has

I can't tell if this is entitlement or just run away cynical nature, but seriously some of the people in this thread need to lighten up lol

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is why I bought a PS5 wooooohoooooo

No I didn't and won't. Sony is yet to convince me why their PS5 is worth all the trouble and all that money. Xbox has been doing a better job at that but I'm not in a hurry. 1 year Sony, almost 1 damn year and not a game that sells me on the PS5.
What games interested you on the Xbox Series X in the 1st year if you don't mind me asking

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I thought the show was pretty bad but I probably wasn't the target audience for it anyway

Other than some mediocre State of Plays, PS has been knocking it out of the park

What games interested you on the Xbox Series X in the 1st year if you don't mind me asking
Not exactly first year, but at least Halo is going to launch. I don’t have an Xbox that’s why I say that. And Xbox at least showed some future titles like Avowed, TES, Starfield and all that.

I do have a Ps4 Pro and so far Sony hasn’t given me a reason to upgrade, God Of War and Horizon are still launching on this machine so yeah. Nothing from ND, or SP which are the studios I’m looking forward to the most (it’s a matter of opinion I know).

Xbox hasn’t exactly shown them, but if you buy a Series now you know what you will get, even if its still far away. With Sony, I have no idea. For me a console is something to last a while and I refuse to buy one out of “what might come”. Dunno if it makes sense, but i does on my head. But it’s mostly because I already own a PS4 Pro and cross gen is still going.

kyussman

Still not able to get my hands on a PS5....but showings like that aren't going to make me feel like I'm missing out,that's for sure.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
lol I thought it was funny how he asked who would go buy a PS5 and you replied with a bunch of games that are also coming out on PS4. ;p

But the real question is who would buy a PS5 based on that show, and he's got a valid point. They are marketing playstation with these State of Plays. The goal is to make you buy a PS5. Why would anyone buy a PS5 to play these indie games? It's a waste of marketing dollars. It's a waste of everyone's time. And it hurts the brand and the product. Anyone who watches this show randomly on youtube will look at this thing and wonder just where are the big games? Not everyone knows they had an event last month where they had those big hitters. sort of. These state of plays typically end up on the trending page, and as a commercial for the PS5, this is a pretty shit one.

This is quite possibly the most wrong-headed post I've come across in a long, long time. Like, EVERYTHING about it is just nonsense.

Its based on a succession of false suppositions, every one of which can be effortlessly disproved or discarded.

Here goes, briefly as possible.

How can a PS5 game being also on PS4 lower its "value" when its going to be available to a wider audience?
Not forgetting PS5 versions are better by default because there's more power, same principle as upgrading your PC CPU or GPU. If one's "worthless" than both are!
The show was never presented as targeted at PS5. Its also a 15-20 min quarterly format, not a big annual blowout of the future of Playstation.
"State of Play" suggests *what is*, not what's in the future after all!
Why would people buy a PS5 for indie games? Most wouldn't solely, but then the proposition is the Horizons, GoWs, and GT's *PLUS* indie stuff that you might find exciting.

I could go on, but this stuff is so obvious it feels redundant pointing out beyond the basic, NOT EVERYTHING IS FOR YOU.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Gave it an E.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what was shown. It's just that the sum of the games being shown is miles from being able to justify the public attention of a State of Play.

It's mainly because Sony makes these pretty scarce, leading people to expect a lot from the events.
If Sony released one of these every other week or every month I'd have nothing against it, but this being the 5th (and probably the last?) State of Play of the year shows that Sony's recent method of feeding information with a dropper can have really bad consequences.

And there's also the fact that they "promised" a next-gen PSVR reveal in July for this Summer and that simply didn't happen:

This showcase will not include updates on the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West or the next generation of PlayStation VR. Stay tuned throughout the summer though, as we’ll have more updates soon.

kevm3

Ending the show on a 6 year old indie PC game. Quite incredible whats happened to Playstation lately. Being a PS fan nowadays is like being in a marriage thats destined to fail. You keep holding on hoping things will change, and you will be back to how things used to be before you got married, but day after day, the disappointment builds up and things only keep getting worse.

Maybe it's unfair to expect so much from these state plays, but the Sony of old wouldve never even held a show like this. They used to care about quality over quantity. They took pride in these shows and blowing people away. Hell, they pretty much started the whole 'React to video game trailers' trend on youtube. Before that, the only reaction videos we got were for the Red Wedding or the ending of certain games. Sony knew trailers and game demos during conferences were their own art form.
Profit before anything seems to be the motive at sony now. I've never been less hyped to get a new system than now. What's really the incentive to get a ps5 when they are releasing most of the games as cross gen or on pc?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is quite possibly the most wrong-headed post I've come across in a long, long time. Like, EVERYTHING about it is just nonsense.

Its based on a succession of false suppositions, every one of which can be effortlessly disproved or discarded.

Here goes, briefly as possible.

How can a PS5 game being also on PS4 lower its "value" when its going to be available to a wider audience?
Not forgetting PS5 versions are better by default because there's more power, same principle as upgrading your PC CPU or GPU. If one's "worthless" than both are!
The show was never presented as targeted at PS5. Its also a 15-20 min quarterly format, not a big annual blowout of the future of Playstation.
"State of Play" suggests *what is*, not what's in the future after all!
Why would people buy a PS5 for indie games? Most wouldn't solely, but then the proposition is the Horizons, GoWs, and GT's *PLUS* indie stuff that you might find exciting.

I could go on, but this stuff is so obvious it feels redundant pointing out beyond the basic, NOT EVERYTHING IS FOR YOU.
You are defending a show which was rated D or worse by 80% of the people in this thread, and you have the balls to call other people wrong headed.

All because I dared to say that a 30 minute commercial full of indies is bad. Get a grip.

Sony doesn’t need to market the PS5 crazily like that right now tho.

They can afford to do smaller shows like this to get people interested in the variety of things coming to their platform bc PS5’s are still impossible to obtain.

Rated RP - M, THIS LIVE STREAM MAY INCLUDE CONTENT INAPPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN. State of Play returns on Wednesday, October 27 with roughly 20 minutes of announcements from upcoming third-party releases. Tune in for updates on existing games, as well as a few reveals from our partners around the world. See you then!

I hope we get a Little Devil Inside release date. Hype thread here:

Lil Devil inside saved it from a flat-out F for me.

Top Bottom