• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | Oct. 27th, 2021 (Up: Poll added)

How would you rate this State of Play?

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Go read the comments from the showcase video. It is overwhelmingly negative including the feedback in this forum and on social media.

Age has nothing to do with it, take your PS hat off and stop defending mediocrity. Sony does not have you on the payroll.

Look at upvotes and downvotes on all the YouTube uploads. Mostly positive.

Places like NeoGAF aren't tastemakers for quality. Complainers on social media are drones doing the thing the algorithm tells them to do.

You must realize that AAA games have a poor reputation amongst gamers who value creativity in their games. Go wait for the next State of Play. Not everything is designed for your particular taste.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are defending a show which was rated D or worse by 80% of the people in this thread, and you have the balls to call other people wrong headed.

All because I dared to say that a 30 minute commercial full of indies is bad. Get a grip.

I couldn't give a fuck, pal. Popular opinions tend to be that way because they appeal to the lowest common denominator.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I always call things how I see them irrespective of whether my view is the popular one or not.

I gave it a C because the only thing I personally found offensive was that OFC abortion, and going in I had no expectations of it being a blowout because I actually pay attention to reality. You know, things like how its the third PS presentation since June, how SOP's are always minor showcases between major announcements, how Sony have already laid out their roster for 2021/2022, and so forth.

And since when are indies "bad"? Sorry, guess I missed that memo. Must've been the same one where KOF and Star Ocean are no longer noteworthy historical franchises, Suda's no longer a creator of note, and most of all platform holders were disallowed from promoting stuff for a broad audience!

And no, I didn't find fault with you not being impressed by the showing. My bone to pick was the stupidity of your argumentation, all of which proceeded from false premises as I explained in my last post.

yurinka

You know shit's fucked when even the biggest Sony fans only give a C.
Sony released their quarterly fiscal report today and broke many historical records again. The opinion of youtube video from a few guys in a forum doesn't mean anything, they have over 100M MAU and we're only a tiny part of them.

This video was only to support some 3rd parties that pretty likely signed some kind of exclusivity deals or to put these games in the future in PS Plus or PS Now. Smaller tier games targeted to appeal pretty different specific small niches, not to appeal a big portion of their userbase or maybe the type of users who traditionally post here.

Not every State of Play is going to be like an E3, specially now we're in an intergenerational transition and in a year were many titles -including some of the most important ones planned for this year- have been delayed to next year due to a global pandemic. And pretty likely the ones originally planned for 2022 have been delayed to 2023.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Star Ocean was a nice surprise as was more Little Devil Inside.

The rest was forgettable, shit we have already seen, or cringe as fuck.

Sony just needs to stop, fire their current managers and move back to Japan where they can make good decisions again.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Not exactly first year, but at least Halo is going to launch. I don’t have an Xbox that’s why I say that. And Xbox at least showed some future titles like Avowed, TES, Starfield and all that.

I do have a Ps4 Pro and so far Sony hasn’t given me a reason to upgrade, God Of War and Horizon are still launching on this machine so yeah. Nothing from ND, or SP which are the studios I’m looking forward to the most (it’s a matter of opinion I know).

Xbox hasn’t exactly shown them, but if you buy a Series now you know what you will get, even if its still far away. With Sony, I have no idea. For me a console is something to last a while and I refuse to buy one out of “what might come”. Dunno if it makes sense, but i does on my head. But it’s mostly because I already own a PS4 Pro and cross gen is still going.
It sounds like you'd be buying a XSX based on what is coming in the future even though we haven't seen those games on action yet

Between last generation games and current gen so far, PS5 was an easy choice for me but to each his own 👍

Hobbygaming

I miss this sony from a few years ago : (

shawn and jacky t were just on another level. There was a real excitement around the brand, now they just rest of their laurels and take the nintendo route of doing the bare minimum

Now people are just getting carried away lol how are they resting on their laurels exactly?

Topher

Gold Member
Sony should do a better job explaining what kind of content to expect in these things. They said "third party", but they really should have said that the focus was "indie" games. They would have changed my mindset entirely going in to this.

ethomaz

Banned
I didn't watched on the day so I took my time today to watch it.

Well it was what they promised and what I expected.
Focused in 3rd-party with some really good trailers.... including some games I should pass but got my interest again.

Sony should do a better job explaining what kind of content to expect in these things. They said "third party", but they really should have said that the focus was "indie" games. They would have changed my mindset entirely going in to this.
Indies are 3rd-party.
It is just a name the media made up to small studios but they were always 3rd-parties and called like that for most of videogame story... you can related it to 2nd-party studios that was a made up name to cover 3rd-party studios that were developing 1st-party games.

It is marketing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't watched on the day so I took my time today to watch it.

Well it was what they promised and what I expected.
Focused in 3rd-party with some really good trailers.... including some games I should pass but got my interest again.

Indies are 3rd-party.
It is just a name the media made up to small studios but they were always 3rd-parties and called like that for most of videogame story... you can related it to 2nd-party studios that was a made up name to cover 3rd-party studios that were developing 1st-party games.

It is marketing.

We all know the difference between an indie game and an AAA game and both can be third party. And I'm obviously talking about small Indies like the trailers we saw.

Last edited:

Markio128

I voted A because I expected nothing and got slightly something, so it exceeded my expectations.
Come At Me All That GIF by NickRewind

CamHostage

There was a game announced from Square Enix and a ported game announced from Nexon. Yes, it wasn't a great list of titles (although not too far off from the State of Play standard; last time, for example, they re-announced Lost Judgment, debuted Moss 2 and Arcadeageddon, and had some other indie updates... it is how this show goes, maybe Sony could do a better job marketing but if you're looking for massive announcements, look for Future of PlayStation, not State of Play.) But it was not an indie show, any more than anything ever is not an indie show these days when everybody making games outside like 9 publishers is considered "indie".

We all know the difference between an indie game and an AAA game and both can be third party. And I'm obviously talking about small Indies like the trailers we saw.

We all know? You're actively rewriting the definition of "indie game" to anything that's not AAA.

Last edited:

Dthomp

The only game they showed that even perked my interest was Deaths Door, and I could play that on Xbox/PC already if I truly truly wanted to...that says alot

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd vote "N" if I could. I stepped out and when I got home the show was already over.

Probably the first Xbox and PS show as far as I can remember that I'm: Not going to bother

Last edited:
The good news is if we do get some kind of PlayStation Experience or some new event in the winter as has been rumored we won't have to see time wasted on these games lol. I don't expect much from state of plays, unless they are focused on a single big game they are usually this kind of filler stuff.

Jaybe

F. They should have called it a State of Play Indies to keep expectations low if that’s all they were going to show. Maybe they are trying to bring down demand to match supply :)

CamHostage

The point I was making was that not all "third party" is the same and Sony should have been more specific about what to expect. I didn't rewrite the definition of anything.

At this point, all Third Party is essentially the same. The gateways of publishing have been obliterated by digital distribution. Now, even a single person can become a publisher, and their game can potentially be a global hit. Meanwhile, the actual publishers are publishing very little and producing only a few core franchises in-house. Or, they are picking up "indie" games (which used to happen back in the old days, only we didn't call it "indie" when a publisher picked up an independent developer's spec project) and promoting them as unique titles. What does it matter if you are published by Focus Home Interactive or THQ or some other slap-a-label-and-box-it company, or you go it alone and release your own product? Your game is still a Third Party product, it'll still be listed along name-brand games alphabetically on the digital shelf and it's still got the same route to promotion on PS Blog / Xbox Wire / Nintendo Direct as any other game on the platform.

Is The Ascent an indie game? It's one of the best-looking games out now, but Curve Digital is not a big publisher. What about Black Myth: Wukong? That game doesn't have a publisher yet, but it runs on UE5 and boasts incredible next-gen technology. Was I Am Setsuna an indie? That game looked a decade out of date but was made inside Square Enix. Was Battletoads indie? That game was 2D Flash animation made on the cheap, but Microsoft and Rare had it made. How about Bright Memory Infinite. That's a game made by 'just one man' and published by a dojingame company, but it's been promoted by Microsoft and NVIDIA. is Fortnite indie? It doesn't look very pretty to most hardcore gamers, and Epic Games is independent, but it pulls in billions of dollars a year.

If your definition of indie is just any game that's too small and unexplosive for you to care about, that's how you see it, but that's not something that "we all know".

And if you are saying that the only games that should be on State of Play streams are titles from EA/Ubisoft/Activision/Bandai Namco/Capcom/Square Enix/SEGA... you might want to adjust your expectations.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Honestly. Are State of Plays ever really considered exciting or good? I rarely see anyone say positive things about them and why should this one be any different?

Probably not. Everybody expects megatons, but those types of titles are kept for the "Future of PlayStation" shows. Unless a State of Play is announced for a specific game (like when they did first-looks for Horizon Forbidden West, R&C Rift Apart, or Returnal,) the SoP shows are about medium-sized games at best, or deep-looks at games you already know about.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The thing with all of these shows is that they regularly showcase uninteresting games to me. If a single "I'd like to try that" game shows up, the event is a success. First Class Trouble is messing around in a new genre, so the showing wasn't a disaster.

Topher

Gold Member
At this point, all Third Party is essentially the same.

Then we simply disagree.

And if you are saying that the only games that should be on State of Play streams are titles from EA/Ubisoft/Activision/Bandai Namco/Capcom/Square Enix/SEGA... you might want to adjust your expectations.

At no point did I even imply that State of Play should "only" be titles from those publishers.

Jaybe

At this point, all Third Party is essentially the same. The gateways of publishing have been obliterated by digital distribution. Now, even a single person can become a publisher, and their game can potentially be a global hit. Meanwhile, the actual publishers are publishing very little and producing only a few core franchises in-house. Or, they are picking up "indie" games (which used to happen back in the old days, only we didn't call it "indie" when a publisher picked up an independent developer's spec project) and promoting them as unique titles. What does it matter if you are published by Focus Home Interactive or THQ or some other slap-a-label-and-box-it company, or you go it alone and release your own product? Your game is still a Third Party product, it'll still be listed along name-brand games alphabetically on the digital shelf and it's still got the same route to promotion on PS Blog / Xbox Wire / Nintendo Direct as any other game on the platform.

Is The Ascent an indie game? It's one of the best-looking games out now, but Curve Digital is not a big publisher. What about Black Myth: Wukong? That game doesn't have a publisher yet, but it runs on UE5 and boasts incredible next-gen technology. Was I Am Setsuna an indie? That game looked a decade out of date but was made inside Square Enix. Was Battletoads indie? That game was 2D Flash animation made on the cheap, but Microsoft and Rare had it made. How about Bright Memory Infinite. That's a game made by 'just one man' and published by a dojingame company, but it's been promoted by Microsoft and NVIDIA. is Fortnite indie? It doesn't look very pretty to most hardcore gamers, and Epic Games is independent, but it pulls in billions of dollars a year.

If your definition of indie is just any game that's too small and unexplosive for you to care about, that's how you see it, but that's not something that "we all know".

Wow you got triggered hard. Dude was literally saying expectations could have been managed better by Sony and I think most here agree.

RSLAEV

Voted E for Dolores and Star Ocean. I don't like Star Ocean but I do find it endearing that tri-ace is keeping the franchise alive.

Gamerguy84

Absolutely nothing of interest for me. Didn't enjoy one minute of it but I also don't pin any hopes on the shows either and that's truth. Csnt be disappointed if you were never hyped to begin with.

NahaNago

Wow you got triggered hard. Dude was literally saying expectations could have been managed better by Sony and I think most here agree.
He is technically right. Majority of those games were from fairly large gaming companies and probably cost a couple million to make. These were simply the AA to "indie" size games. Saying indie doesn't really mean much these days. Sounds like you guys just wanted AAA third party games in this state of play.

Last edited:

Jaybe

He is technically right. Majority of those games were from fairly large gaming companies and probably cost a couple million to make. These were simply the AA to "indie" size games. Saying indie doesn't really mean much these days. Sounds like you guys just wanted AAA third party games in this state of play.
It’s nice to see AA making more of a comeback this generation. Agree the distinction between ‘indie’ and AA is harder now. It is clearer what isn’t AAA, and I think the lack of AAA was a letdown from a ‘newsworthy standpoint’. Not that AAA is any better (but we have lots of threads on that). With Sony being generally quiet, any SOP gets attention and hope for something more broadly compelling. Them saying it is third party helps, e.g. we won’t see ND’s factions. But it still leaves some hope that FF16, Cod Vanguard, Spiderman avengers DLC, something PS exclusive for GTA3 will get shown or announced. Or something new AAA teased. Not that everyone would care but it would give a bit heft to an event of announcements. On the indie/AA shown: Death’s door May have been the best game shown, but for those with Xbox or Pc it’s a late release. Little devil inside’s gameplay seemed uninteresting and a letdown (to me anyway) from the interesting aesthetic and humour in the prior trailers. So I would say the quality of what was showed and the absence of something more mainstream/noteworthy were at the core of its failure as an event.

Hobbygaming

This. There wouldn't have been any disappointment had they been more specific

Topher

Gold Member

If a game looks like an indie game then that is how folks are going to describe it, technically incorrect or not. My expectations were for something more than what we saw. Even as (not) indie games there was nothing really that grabbed me. But yeah, I can't lie. I would have liked to have seen at least one big AAA announcement.

Top Bottom