• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | Oct. 27th, 2021 (Up: Poll added)

How would you rate this State of Play?

• Total voters

CamHostage

It is clearer what isn’t AAA, and I think the lack of AAA was a letdown from a ‘newsworthy standpoint’. Not that AAA is any better (but we have lots of threads on that). With Sony being generally quiet, any SOP gets attention and hope for something more broadly compelling. Them saying it is third party helps, e.g. we won’t see ND’s factions. But it still leaves some hope that FF16, Cod Vanguard, Spiderman avengers DLC, something PS exclusive for GTA3 will get shown or announced. Or something new AAA teased. Not that everyone would care but it would give a bit heft to an event of announcements.

It would have been nice, sure, if something AAA was there. I'm with you, I like big, awesome games blowing up at game showcases.

All's I'm saying is, we're only hurting ourselves by expecting AAA every time State of Play starts, because the big games have pretty much never debuted at State of Play. It's not that type of show.

You can look for yourself and figure out that mid-tier and indie is pretty much much been what's at State of Play every show, even back with the very first one in 2019. That was the year that Sony announced it wasn't going to attend E3, so people were going, "Oh shit, this show must be where the megatons are coming then!" ...and instead, they got Iron Man VR and a Five Nights At Freddy’s announcements. (BTW, notice what's familiar there?)

The biggest games ever debuted at State of Play have been maybe FF7R Intergrade, the first look at Lost Judgement a few days after announcement in Japan, some Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC, Predator Hunting Ground, Monster Hunter DLC, the first Babylon's Fall gameplay... bigger name-brands than what's in this October show, granted, but not huge games too often. All the old State of Plays are online (most are archived below,) watch some for yourself and see that they're just about always mid-tier titles at best, or updated looks at games we already know about.

Sometimes, Sony does use State of Play as a further-look show, and when they do, they announce the game. So Deathloop, R&C, Horizon, Returnal, the PS5 interface: all headlined a State of Play, announced beforehand and all basically the main game of the show, with two or three little trailers tagged on for fun. So, those events are different.

Otherwise, high-end stuff is shown on Future of PlayStation showcases.

(And BTW, I'm with you that we're desperate for way more Future of PlayStation events, or even State of Play events with just more of the games coming out in Nov/Dec/Q1, even if they're not Sony games. I'm like anybody else, I still tune in hoping for a nice surprise, but dreaming about State of Play AAAs and then raging at their absence every single show... who's fault is that?)

Maybe Sony could do a better job promoting or naming its shows, make it clear what their shows are and what to expect (although it'd generally be rude to post a blog message, "Tune in next week for the Shitty PlayStation Games Show!!", they're not going to crap on anybody by describing games in a showcase as little or unimportant,) but if everybody could just learn what State of Play is, then we can get over AAA expectations, and be fair to what's there. Or, not watch, if we only like AAA games.

Last edited:

NahaNago

If a game looks like an indie game then that is how folks are going to describe it, technically incorrect or not. My expectations were for something more than what we saw. Even as (not) indie games there was nothing really that grabbed me. But yeah, I can't lie. I would have liked to have seen at least one big AAA announcement.
The problem is indie covers such a large range of games. Some consider games indie if it looks like nes or snes games or they look like budget pc games of the ps2 era. It seems for you unless it comes from a big name AAA publisher then the game is indie. For me I was okay since I enjoy the star ocean series, seeing more of kof, and I like seeing the devil inside game. I seriously doubt any western company would use a state of play for a big AAA announcement and I also have very low expectations for state of plays.

Topher

Gold Member
The problem is indie covers such a large range of games. Some consider games indie if it looks like nes or snes games or they look like budget pc games of the ps2 era. It seems for you unless it comes from a big name AAA publisher then the game is indie. For me I was okay since I enjoy the star ocean series, seeing more of kof, and I like seeing the devil inside game. I seriously doubt any western company would use a state of play for a big AAA announcement and I also have very low expectations for state of plays.

No, I'm fully aware that there are multiple levels below AAA. Just a few examples that I have played and enjoyed are A Plague Tale, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Greedfall. If I had seen something on par with those games I think I would have been more excited about the show.

Glad they showed Star Ocean for you. I've never played it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Not a good state of play, however was expected, so im fine with it.

NahaNago

No, I'm fully aware that there are multiple levels below AAA. Just a few examples that I have played and enjoyed are A Plague Tale, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Greedfall. If I had seen something on par with those games I think I would have been more excited about the show.

Glad they showed Star Ocean for you. I've never played it.
The only issue I have with A Plage Tale and Divinity Original Sin is that their studios are around 200 people. That is the size of most Sony's first party developers at the start of last gen. Only Greedfall's studio had around 20 employees.

Top Bottom