• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play returns this Wednesday, March 9.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
87 days until we are awash in the glow of AAA multiplayer goodness at the PlayStation Showcase in June. How lucky are we?

reset-the-clock-pacific-rim.gif

SSfox

What happened to Japan? They used to be the kings of gaming. Valkyrie looks like a ps2 game...
They still King, they just choose to show the meh stuffs here in this SOP. SE has at least FF16 and DQ12 and Capcom already has SF6 and RE4 in the work, at least.

And honestly this could be a bad sign showing that Sony aren't strong relationship with Japanese since those latest chose the lame stuffs to give for Sony showing. Sony need to improve their relationship with japanese publishers, and ASAP.

Also honestly Sony should stop doing those state of play and just make 1 or 2 big event of 60 or 90 minutes per years with great stuffs from all 3rd party and 1st party. There was some cool stuffs here but i'm not sure it was necessary to put in a SOP stream.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Disappointed at lack of Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine footage, but overall a decent enough show.

More Returnal is great! Samurai game looks v cool and beautiful. Ghostwire coming soon and looks interesting, and even Forspoken looked a bit better than normal.

The filler was garbage, but then it always is.

kevm3

I assume the A teams are working on FF16 and FF7r2. Konomi is dead, most of the population wants portable games (and I'm starting to wonder if Japan is over games as a culture?)
Honestly, seems like they are done for. Aside from like Square, Capcom and occasionally Sega or Platinum, they are mostly relegated to mobile games?

NES through PS2, Japan dominated, but now.... don't know what happened.

TheTony316

Where did I say the conference needed Sony first party games?

Japan has some of the best devs in the business and aside from Forspoken, they didnt have a single AAA Japanese game featured at the show.

If Sony couldnt get Final Fantasy 16, FF7-2, RE4make, Death Stranding 2 or RE9 then they should simply say, hey sorry we got nothing. Dont waste out time with this shit.

Naoki Yoshida said that we shouldn't expect FF16 news until May at the earliest. Everything else is too big to be announced at a random SOP. People should know by now that State of Plays are nothing to get hyped about.

sircaw

Banned
Disappointed at lack of Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine footage, but overall a decent enough show.

More Returnal is great! Samurai game looks v cool and beautiful. Ghostwire coming soon and looks interesting, and even Forspoken looked a bit better than normal.

The filler was garbage, but then it always is.
They saving the big guns for later in the year i imagine.

Vaelka

Valkyrie Elysium obviously doesn't look amazing in terms of graphics ( her hair was glitching out a lot too ).
But I think it looks alright in terms of gameplay as just a fun game on the side.

And that's about it really.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Now I know why Sony hasn’t purchased Capcom or Square after seeing this
lol On the contrary, I think after seeing this trash, Sony needs to go and save Japan from these shitty games. Invest in AAA and only AAA. I swear at one point, I thought I was watching a Switch direct. The games looked that old. We arent even talking PS4 graphics anymore. Some of this stuff wont even pass as PS3 quality.

We know what Japan is capable of. They are the best in the business. Elden Rings has shown just that. They just need to be given funds, direction and resources to produce ambitious games faster.

Capcom should have the RE4 remake in the works. It's clearly not ready to show, but Sony needs to go in and hire them a support studio. Make it next gen only. It looks like Capcom is going for cross gen. Go to Capcom and throw money at them to ensure it's next gen only. Ensure RE9 is next gen only. Ensure it comes out sooner rather than later.

Do the same with FF7 remake 2 and FF16. Both games are taking way too long because Square Enix is fucking around making PSP quality games. They need Sony to tell them to get their shit together and stop wasting their time with games no one wants to play outside of a few people in Japan and some weebos in the U.S.

You have Kojima who last shipped a game almost 3 years ago and he still has nothing to show? Why? Why wasnt he acquired immediately and put to work on a new game? Why is he going to MS and fucking Stadia pitching games? Give him a $100 million. He made Death Stranding in 3.5 years from scratch.

Get Platinum games to work on an AAA game. Give them the MGS IP. Get the Ueda game the funding it needs. This is not what anyone wants to see from Playstation or Japan.

At the end of the day, it has to be about quality control. You want to feature Valkyrie Chronicles? Fine. Make it look presentable. Or you are not getting featured in our show. Playstation used to mean quality. If this is the State of Play, games that look like PS Vita games then it is a bad look for Playstation. Surely they should know this.

Last edited:
Turtles and returnal coop is cool. Neat that most of this stuff will be out for 2022 at least.
Exoprimal looks fun like EDM.
Forspoken looking great, just need to see more gameplay. Not sure what people are complaining about the main character talking to much?? There were 3 lines if that?

What were the rumors for this event? None we're right it seems. Those insiders are shit.

lol On the contrary, I think after seeing this trash, Sony needs to go and save Japan from these shitty games. Invest in AAA and only AAA. I swear at one point, I thought I was watching a Switch direct. The games looked that old. We arent even talking PS4 graphics anymore. Some of this stuff wont even pass as PS3 quality.

We know what Japan is capable of. They are the best in the business. Elden Rings has shown just that. They just need to be given funds, direction and resources to produce ambitious games faster.

Capcom should have the RE4 remake in the works. It's clearly not ready to show, but Sony needs to go in and hire them a support studio. Make it next gen only. It looks like Capcom is going for cross gen. Go to Capcom and throw money at them to ensure it's next gen only. Ensure RE9 is next gen only. Ensure it comes out sooner rather than later.

Do the same with FF7 remake 2 and FF16. Both games are taking way too long because Square Enix is fucking around making PSP quality games. They need Sony to tell them to get their shit together and stop wasting their time with games no one wants to play outside of a few people in Japan and some weebos in the U.S.

You have Kojima who last shipped a game almost 3 years ago and he still has nothing to show? Why? Why wasnt he acquired immediately and put to work on a new game? Why is he going to MS and fucking Stadia pitching games? Give him a $100 million. He made Death Stranding in 3.5 years from scratch.

Get Platinum games to work on an AAA game. Give them the MGS IP. Get the Ueda game the funding it needs. This is not what anyone wants to see from Playstation or Japan.

I agree but then Sony has to overpay for a bunch of garbage they’ll have to lay off eventually after a restructuring

FromSoft still makes the most sense to me

Where did I say the conference needed Sony first party games?

Japan has some of the best devs in the business and aside from Forspoken, they didnt have a single AAA Japanese game featured at the show.

If Sony couldnt get Final Fantasy 16, FF7-2, RE4make, Death Stranding 2 or RE9 then they should simply say, hey sorry we got nothing. Dont waste out time with this shit.

WTF does this mean? So only make those games? Forget about AA or even A games? I mean, you remmeber the PS2, right? It wasn't all AAA (whatever that means). The games on it were qquite varied in terms of production and just because it wasn't AAA didn't mean they were not solid. So just don't make them.

I'm completely baffled by the comments here. Holy mother of god, things were different 20 years ago, but my god!

Hunnybun

What happened to Japan? They used to be the kings of gaming. Valkyrie looks like a ps2 game...

It's becoming more and more of a backwater. I guess it being somewhat of a culturally isolated nation mattered a lot less when their home market was still based around cutting edge technology, but now it's all mobile and Switch I suspect their tech people are falling further and further behind, and it's nowhere near as easy for them to recruit from abroad as it is for American and European developers.

It's increasingly rare to see really technologically cutting edge games from Japan, now. There's the odd thing from Capcom, and Kojima (based on a European engine, though).... not so much else.

The_hunter

Jojo fighting game port was the best thing shown. Returnal update looks good.

The last two square games look decent.

The final fantasy souls game looks a lot better than what was shown before.

Last edited:
Sony use state of plays to show left overs so they don't have to show them on a showcase. The only good state of plays are deep dives on a single title. Anyway, a bigger show ain't far off.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WTF does this mean? So only make those games? Forget about AA or even A games? I mean, you remmeber the PS2, right? It wasn't all AAA (whatever that means). The games on it were qquite varied in terms of production and just because it wasn't AAA didn't mean they were not solid. So just don't make them.

I'm completely baffled by the comments here. Holy mother of god, things were different 20 years ago, but my god!
There are AA games and B games, and then you haveC trash tier PSP quality games that dominated this conference.

If third parties want to make these games, fine. You just dont get FEATURED in a State of Play. Sony didnt have trash like this at E3 conferences so why is it ok for State of Plays which have clearly replaced E3s, PSX and Gamescom conferences.

You have to respect your audience's time. No one is tuning in to a State of PLAYSTATION to watch games that dont even look as good as PS3 games.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Solid State of Play. More Returnal goodness, Cowabunga collection and fucking Valkyrie Elysium. Great surprise. Day 1. I also got sold on Ghostwire Tokyo. Game looks awesome, unique and fun. Good times ahead!

Ladioss

Underwhelming presentation, but I guess Sony is saving theirs biggest announcements for june.

Konomi is dead, most of the population wants portable games (and I'm starting to wonder if Japan is over games as a culture?)
Lol. Let me guess : you are an expert in Japanese culture ?
Gaming practices evolved. That they no longer adhere to yours doesn't mean they have disappeared.

Last edited:

SSfox

A F2P game release by an unknown chinese dev in 2020
Genshin-Impact-1.2-Update.jpg

Everything shown today isn't even at 10% of this level of beauty, i know SE and Capcom has other stuffs in the work, but c'mon what they showed today is just godaweful in both graphics and art design, WTFFF

I mean WTF is this trash, it's some Crackdown 3 level stuff tbh

FNcQKpnWYAoo9nl

Last edited:
There are AA games and B games, and then you haveC trash tier PSP quality games that dominated this conference.

If third parties want to make these games, fine. You just dont get FEATURED in a State of Play. Sony didnt have trash like this at E3 conferences so why is it ok for State of Plays which have clearly replaced E3s, PSX and Gamescom conferences.

You have to respect your audience's time. No one is tuning in to a State of PLAYSTATION to watch games that dont even look as good as PS3 games.

You do realize they do multiple State of Plays throughout the year, right? This was NOT a major one, akin to E3. Who are YOU to decide what gets featured in these videos? All the games looked great, some even unique (Trek to Yumi), and some just looked fun (Kaiju Brawl).

Respect your audience's time? What is this? Are you being charged for this? If you're not interested while watching it, you have every right to leave. And then wait for a major one for those AAA games that apparently are all the craze.

TheTony316

Sony needs to invest in all kinds of games. Only focusing on AAA will kill the brand in the long run.

You can always just turn the stream off if you don't like it. State of Plays are always mediocre at best.They aren't meant to replace E3, Gamescom and PSX.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
* Dino Anthem Crisis
* Ghost wire
* PS3 JoJo Port
* TMNT Collection
* Overwatch Gundam Edition
* Disappointment
* Profound sadness
* Super low budget looking sqaure enix games. (I thought the second game was going to be Babylon's fall dlc at first)
* & I can't really remember anything else, nothing note worthy sadly.
Not the greatest show ever, but IMO not that bad. Better than other SoP's I've seen.

Really comes down to how much interest those two Square games at the end is for a gamer. And that cool samurai indie game. The rest was meh. That Capcom dinosaur game looks generic as hell.

Hunnybun

Even though I think it's pretty stupid to be disappointed by these shows (they've always been completely shit since day 1), I do still wonder exactly WHY Sony can't just make them less, you know, abysmal?

I don't really get it. What's the benefit to them of producing terrible shows and lowering expectations accordingly, as opposed to just making something at least somewhat worthwhile?

For example, they ended up showing probably half a dozen random Horizon trailers by the time the game actually came out. Why didn't they just make them the closing items of previous SOPs? Something as small as that would probably be enough to save these showings and get people talking positively.

Or tonight, could they SERIOUSLY not have shown a FFXVI trailer? Or something from Pragmata? They were both revealed nearly 2 years ago now. I'm not saying anyone should have been reasonably expecting them, but that's just because of past experience, not because the idea itself is unrealistic.

I dunno, it is a pretty bizarre strategy, really.

Croga

Dino Crisis!!!
Oh wait, it's a shit looking squad based shooter thing, wtf Capcom.

A New Valkyrie Profile?
Yes, but let's take one of my favorite turn based combat systems from the PS2 era and turn it into a terrible looking 3rd person hack and slash ffs.

Give me a rerelease / remaster of Silmeria over this shite.

Camreezie

Trek to Yomi was the only standout new title. Returnal coop is cool, Forspoken looked a bit better I guess and Ghostwire is a get. Not a good state of play though I expected one big series reveal of some sort

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even though I think it's pretty stupid to be disappointed by these shows (they've always been completely shit since day 1), I do still wonder exactly WHY Sony can't just make them less, you know, abysmal?

I don't really get it. What's the benefit to them of producing terrible shows and lowering expectations accordingly, as opposed to just making something at least somewhat worthwhile?

For example, they ended up showing probably half a dozen random Horizon trailers by the time the game actually came out. Why didn't they just make them the closing items of previous SOPs? Something as small as that would probably be enough to save these showings and get people talking positively.

Or tonight, could they SERIOUSLY not have shown a FFXVI trailer? Or something from Pragmata? They were both revealed nearly 2 years ago now. I'm not saying anyone should have been reasonably expecting them, but that's just because of past experience, not because the idea itself is unrealistic.

I dont get it either. Gaming shows have become digital and thats fine. Im confident the average gamer just wants to see cool game videos, but much of the time the videos are shit, misleading or some CGI movie trailer.

It's not like they have to spend a shit load of money renting E3 stages, get people talking on stage (hoping to not mess up their lines) or anything giant like that.

All they got to do is string together maybe 15 good video clips. And somehow that's hard to do in these Nintendo, Sony and MS half hour plugs.

Even the narrators in the video is half assed. The female narrator in this SoP is laughably bad. I like the line where she says something like.... ""Here's two games back from the dead". And that was the transition line. The least they could do is have the narrator be more natural saying her lines while watching the show. It's like she was told to record some lines a week before the clips, but was told there will be these games so say something related to it.

One thing I do like about them and Nintendo Direct is they get straight to the point .

Top Bottom