• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam awards: Resident Evil Village scoops game of the year, FH5 takes outstanding visual style award.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/

Game of the year: Resident Evil Village
VR Game of the year: Cooking Simulator
Labor of Love: Terraria
Better with friends: It Takes Two
Outstanding visual style: Forza Horizon 5
Most innovative gameplay: Deathloop
Best game you suck at: Nioh 2
Best soundtrack: Guardians of the Galaxy
Outstanding story rich game: Cyberpunk 2077
Sit back and relax: Farming Simulator 22

Last edited:

ManaByte

Outstanding story rich game: Cyberpunk 2077
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The available votes were so weird, I just voted for the least offensive one in each category, those were some weird choices man.

Chukhopops

I cannot believe P5S lost best OST to GotG, Steam really disappointed me here.

Otherwise a lot of solid choices.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Better with friends: It Takes Two
Outstanding visual style: Forza Horizon 5
Most innovative gameplay: Deathloop

What the fuck am I reading?

It takes Two literally cannot be played WITHOUT friends
FH5 is graphically very impressive but is just "cars in Mexico" and has zero style whatsoever outside of the menus
Deathloop is great but is another Arkane immersive sim with absolutely no innovative gameplay, the "loop" is just 4 maps with 4 variations

Seriously, I like all of those games but these awards are whack

Alexios

FH5 is graphically very impressive but is just "cars in Mexico" and has zero style whatsoever outside of the menus
Deathloop is great but is another Arkane immersive sim with absolutely no innovative gameplay, the "loop" is just 4 maps with 4 variations

FH5 is pretty stylised rather than just going for UHDR realism (while still being detailed), not sure how you fail to see that. I think that's the only vote I got right by going for the least offensive in the category (and I'm not even a fan of the series, or the game in particular, I didn't keep it installed).

Edit: yes dead flag whatever second account made just to react to random shit, I'm triggered the game won the award, lol.

Last edited:

“The games i like didn’t get picked therefore the entire ceremony deserves no credibility.” Grow up son.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
FH5 is pretty stylised rather than just going for UHDR realism (while still being detailed), not sure how you fail to see that. I think that's the only vote I got right by going for the least offensive in the category (and I'm not even a fan of the series, or the game in particular, I didn't keep it installed).

It's just realistic looking cars in Mexico. You could take that map, slap another game in it and you'd have no idea it was Forza.

... Over Psychonauts 2? What was the last game you can remember to feature a level made of gums and teeth?

JR6ABCwNBYsQHpt5CxJqaE.jpg

“The games i like didn’t get picked therefore the entire ceremony deserves no credibility.” Grow up son.

But I liked Forza Horizon 5 more than Psychonauts 2? Try again.

Alexios

So no Cruelty Squad, Inscryption, Loop Hero or any other actually creative game? :goog_relieved:
Northern Journey should have won something, it's so good and keeps throwing new shit at you after you think it can't possibly top the last shit or do something new in that old school fps kind of formula it initially seems to ape yet so doesn't stick to the basics of it and is in fact awesomely fresh.
It's just realistic looking cars in Mexico.
Nope, it's super stylized.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Resident Evil: Village is a worthy winner.

Sony and Microsoft groupies may not like it because it's a multi-plat and neither can claim victory but I'd agree, it's the most straight-up enjoyable game I played this year.

tommib

Village is such an uneventful game. Embarrassing, Steam.

I just started to play Psychonauts 2. Couldn’t let it go for straight 4 hours. Absolutely adorable and creative. Shocked that it’s not on the list.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Northern Journey should have won something, it's so good and keeps throwing new shit at you after you think it can't possibly top the last shit or do something new in that old school fps kind of formula it initially seems to ape yet so doesn't stick to the basics of it and is in fact awesomely fresh.

Nope, it's super stylized.
Never heard of that one! Looks weird, but your description of it got me, so I'll give it a go sometime.

rush777

Village is such and uneventful game. Embarrassing, Steam.

I just started to play Psychonauts 2. Couldn’t let it go for straight 4 hours. Absolutely adorable and creative. Shocked that it’s not on the list.

I completely disagree with you, but I respect you because you like Returnal which was one of the best games I’ve played. Village just oozes atmosphere, it’s so well done that it never feels like it’s an FPS which is quite remarkable.

Village and Returnal were my games of the year easily.

ButchCat

During the first half of Village I hadn't felt that invested in a game in a long time but then it sadly robs you of that feeling in the second half, there's so much fuck-uppery later it's unbelievable. It's still a fun game.

Ceadeus

I'm not even touching RE8 until it's on PSVR2

RE7 was such an epic experience that I don't see myself playing 8 without it being in VR.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the winners. Haters gonna hate. You could certainly argue for every point but who cares. Steam awards don't take themselves srsly and its user voted, naturally that comes with what 28 millions or so votes with a ton of them prolly being troll'ish.

Alexios

What do you think "stylized" means exactly?
Real life doesn't look like Forza, now does Forza attempt to look like real life and simply fail due to technical limitations, it has its own art style in everything, from the assets to the lighting, to the textures and materials and how they all interact, to the layouts of the roads and environments and content within and how it becomes visible as you race by, even if the cars are made of real models as they are in every car game yet it looks different to every other car game. Now say what the fuck you want instead of ask me for dictionary definitions like that's any kind of debate or relevant 🤡

Last edited:

AV

Real life doesn't look like Forza, nor does Forza attempt to look like real life and simply fail due to technical limitations, it has its own art style in everything, from the assets to the lighting, to the textures and materials and how they all interact, to the layouts of the roads and environments and content within and how it becomes visible as you race by, even if the cars are made of real models as they are in every car game yet it looks different to every other car game. Now say what the fuck you want instead of ask me for dictionary definitions like that's any kind of debate or relevant 🤡

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Playground took literally 75 terabytes worth of pictures of the sky to make it look as realistic as possible. That was their goal and they succeeded. It's the inverse of stylized.

Alexios

Every game with photo references is realistic folks, that's what AV said, that is how it is. Also if you're going for a stylized look you have to look surreal and upside down and inside out in every way and avoid reality at all costs, otherwise it's just realism in every way. The memes just prove it all 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

AV

Every game with photo references is realistic folks, that's what AV said, that is how it is. Also if you're going for a stylized look you have to look surreal and upside down and inside out in every way and avoid reality at all costs, otherwise it's just realism in every way. The memes just prove it all 🤦‍♂️

... The skyboxes in the game are made of those images. They're not reference photos. You are literally looking at real pictures of the real sky. They are not a stylized interpretation of clouds, they are clouds.

But sure, the rest of the game looks like Fortnite. Weird hill to die on, my guy.

Chukhopops

How could any game compete with the GotG soundtrack?
It’s subjective of course, but the Persona OSTs are so good there are yearly concerts in Japan where they reinterpret the best tracks. P5S takes the best songs from P5R, improves them significantly and then adds new, even better ones.

And more importantly, Steam is supposed to be the weeb platform (compared to consoles) which would appreciate it the most.

Alexios

... The skyboxes in the game are made of those images. They're not reference photos. You are literally looking at real pictures of the real sky. They are not a stylized interpretation of clouds, they are clouds.

But sure, the rest of the game looks like Fortnite. Weird hill to die on, my guy.
Like yes, of course, everything that doesn't look like Fortnite is super real life-like. Not doing any kind of dying mate, you want me gone because you fail to see the artistry in a video game's visuals beyond simply immitating real life? Dang, you're so hardcore, I guess I'll leave you to it, lmao 🤡

Someone's mind will be blown when they discover even movies with real actors, real locations, props and all the good stuff that actually exist, can have art design that distinguishes them from reality as it's experienced irl and turns them into something much more special and unique indeed.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

It LITERALLY can be played without friends. The person you coop with doesn't have to be your friend.

(Also, people have beat the game solo).

Last edited:

ssringo

Pretty close to my votes. GotG is a big "NO" from me. Both Nier and Persona were way better. Then again they probably split the weeb votes allowing this tragedy to happen...

On a lighter note, about god damn time Terraria won labor of love.

Top Bottom