• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck 2 is 'years away'

Untitled-design-13.jpg

All those wanting OLED be sure to install Vibrant Deck. Makes it feel like 1/2 an upgrade already.
I thought there were plans to have this baked into the OS soon.

I'd rather valve focus on compatibility. There are tons of games that should absolutely work on this thing but don't.

But that's the problem with Linux. It's an open source compatibility nightmare with the only support you get being obtuse neckbeards who are somehow offended by questions and asks for clarity.

Which is typical for most software devs in my experience.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Deck already struggles in modern AAA games. Waiting to 2026 would be crazy. There’s no need to wait that long since it’s a PC and games aren’t being made for a fixed spec.

Anything later than 2025 would be weird
Eh, doesn’t seem to be hurting it too much, nor did it hurt the Switch which people on the forum have been asking for upgraded hardware since 2019. It is a PC, but it's a fixed spec PC that has sold millions of units and continues to sell well, and devs are releasing their games with Steam Deck profiles and patching their old ones. Compare it to the ROG Ally in everything but hardware specs and it really becomes clear that Valve is doing something different.

Valve also needs to wait until the hardware is sufficiently advanced, the new stuff isn't that much better. We are already talking about 2025 and I don't think they would suffer much from waiting a bit more.

RAIDEN1

The REAL question is, much less about Steam Deck 2, just how powerful will Nintendo's own Steam-Deck (aka Switch 2) be compared to Steam Deck 1

Top Bottom