• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck is now available without a reservation | The Docking Station is available, too

JCK75

Ryzen 4700U mini PCs are going down to $350, with 5500U models right around $400.

eSports games should run fine, just check on YouTube for reviews of the different processors and see how they compare to your current systems. With the mini PCs you wouldn't have to deal with separate docks, and not being handhelds you secure them. The Steam Deck doesn't have a mounting point on it, while all mini PCs I've seen have kensington lock mounting points.

We can't replace the PC's which cheap options, we have to be able to image them and get them onto the domain.. with the way the network is we need to give reservations for the gaming devices to bypass the firewall.. it's much safer for us to do tthis with devices we will stash away and not allow them to be used all day.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I put mobile gaming below console gaming in terms of experience and performance sometimes you just wanna game while waiting in line.

Interfectum

B24EBAE3BC13415363FCDE1CA98ED71B34F139AA

I can’t believe I’m playing Hitman 3 native on a handheld.

The 256GB isn't really worth it. "2230 512GB nvme" drives go for $55-60 on eBay and are a very, very simple swap. That's double the storage, for 1/2 of the price difference between the 64 and 256.

The 512GB also doesn't make sense, as you can then buy an anti-glare glass screen protector for $16. And 1TB drives are $140-150.

If anyone is thinking about getting one soon, I recommend buying the nvme drive now if you are going to do the upgrade. With the Steam Deck being available I'm sure stock of them will dry up on eBay. The same thing happened in Oct 2021, the 1TB drives were just under $100 and I warned people. A month later they were up to $200 and stayed there until about 2-3 months ago.
thanks for the input. i don't know much about the device and hardware specs. didn't even think of buying my own drive and swapping it out. I know there is an SD card slot. I'll do a bit more research before buying!

SScorpio

thanks for the input. i don't know much about the device and hardware specs. didn't even think of buying my own drive and swapping it out. I know there is an SD card slot. I'll do a bit more research before buying!
All three models have the exact same specs with the only two differences being the storage module in the m.2 slot. This is what you can upgrade.

The 512gb's other difference is that it has an anti glare etched screen. And a $16 screen protector can get you that while giving you the option of switching between anti glare and non-anti glare with better colors.

SScorpio

We can't replace the PC's which cheap options, we have to be able to image them and get them onto the domain.. with the way the network is we need to give reservations for the gaming devices to bypass the firewall.. it's much safer for us to do tthis with devices we will stash away and not allow them to be used all day.
Most of the mini PCs come with Windows Pro licenses already, so you can put them on a domain if you want. And they are standard PCs with the ability to image and do whatever you want.

They generally have the ability to upgrade RAM, m.2 storage and WiFi, and install an 2 1/2" SATA drive. You just don't have the option of installing expansions cards like GPUs, nor changing the coolers.

For access, just limit the firewall bypass during specific times of the day. You could also even just let the machines be logged into only during specific times. Having devices students can easily move around seem ripe for abuse. And you'd need new Windows licenses since the Steam Deck doesn't include them.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Of course I'd always worry that if I bought a drive off of ebay would it be a scam where the drive is really much lower and hacked to appear larger.(Weren't there quite a few SD cards like that on ebay?) I know you can get them on Amazon but then the price goes up quite a bit.
Just buy from a seller with a high rating. I bought a new 1TB 2230 for $148 from horizon_electronic in China and they have 95% rating from 63K items sold. The used 256GB 2230 I got for $20 was from Konronus in the US and they have 99.7% rating from 982 items sold. I have a NVMe external drive enclosure so when I got them I just hooked them into my PC and validated them using CrystalDiskInfo. If the drive isn't as advertised, contact the seller for a refund, or if that doesn't work then file a complaint against them through Ebay.

If you're going with a 512GB or 1TB and want to assure the quality, just buy them new. The difference in price isn't that substantial...
New 512GB for $63 from TranscendTech in US(100% rating out of 117K items sold):

New 1TB for $156 from horizon_electronic in China(95% rating out of 63K items sold):

Last edited:

lachesis

I know I am overreaching - but I think I could technically live with Steam deck and just settle with a Mac Mini for home computing purpose, if I had to.
I didn't realize this deck would pretty much play all steam games of my interest so adequately.
The games that I play on PC are very pretty old school - sub PS3 level gfx JRPGs and some graphic novel games like Danganronpa / Fata Morgana etc. Maybe most taxing stuff is probably recent Resident Evil games -which I play them on PS5 and XSX.

Between Steam Deck, PS5, XSX, and Switch that I have - I'm more than covered on pretty much all fronts. The all of them are about the price of one 4090.

Then again, I like powerful HW - so I'll probably use $3K+ on my next PC build later this year.... but the thought (as I get older) just occured... as I really don't need that much power for my normal every day PC usage... and I've been sweating in my home office room during this summer, working remotely from the heat of my current old computer (OC'ed 3930k at 4.2ghz, with GTX 970) And that PC that I have, still can play most of the games that I'm playing well enough already. That's the type of PC gamer that I am unfortunately.

It's like me wanting to buy a powerful car with 500 hp, but I drive like a granny. (literally). I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1996. Last ticket I got, I wasn't even driving. I was sitting in the back seat and got ticketed not wearing seat belt in NJ, and also got ticketed on a bicycle not completely stopping on a stop sign where there was no cars... on my bicycle in NYC... So my pragmatic self ended up buying a Prius... and regret that the car doesn't appeal to any ladies these days. ;)

Based on past Valve hardware like Steam controller, Index or Steam Link, which still receive updates years later? How strange.

I didn't mean support as in driver or firmware updates to already-produced units, I meant support as in they still sell the thing at all.

I own a Steam controller and a Steam Link, Valve stopped selling them both a while back despite both being great devices that people reviewed favorably (honestly, I never got used to the controller's inside-out slope, it always felt off in my hands). They still support those devices, yes, and they both still operate when powered on. I can't walk into a store or order new ones online though so if I didn't already own them and wanted to get them, I'd be looking at used ones. If the Deck gets pulled off the market like Valve has pulled previous devices, I will no longer be able to purchase a new Steam Deck. Based on past hardware, I have no faith Valve will still have Steam Decks on the market to purchase.

Right now, I have more things to do than time to do them but in five years that may not be the case. I am also not interested in this beta version of the hardware anyways, though it is a great start. The screen is not great, the form factor is too big and bulky, and the battery life is too short. All of these things will likely be improved assuming the Deck stays on the market. If that happens and I have time to make use of one I'll be in the market, hence my statement that I hope it does well.

lukilladog

Just buy from a seller with a high rating. I bought a new 1TB 2230 for $148 from horizon_electronic in China and they have 95% rating from 63K items sold. The used 256GB 2230 I got for $20 was from Konronus in the US and they have 99.7% rating from 982 items sold. I have a NVMe external drive enclosure so when I got them I just hooked them into my PC and validated them using CrystalDiskInfo. If the drive isn't as advertised, contact the seller for a refund, or if that doesn't work then file a complaint against them through Ebay.

If you're going with a 512GB or 1TB and want to assure the quality, just buy them new. The difference in price isn't that substantial...
New 512GB for $63 from TranscendTech in US(100% rating out of 117K items sold):
[/URL]

New 1TB for $156 from horizon_electronic in China(95% rating out of 63K items sold):
[/URL]

I´d stay away from that WD, HMB (host memory buffer) drives are the worst for gaming in my experience, I had an acer fa100 and it would not even load grass or world objects in heavily modded skyrim when moving into new cells lol, it also had some hiccups in Forza horizon 5. My cheapo sata kingston was flawless in comparison lol, despite being several times slower. (dramless is fine for gaming, but I´ll not touch an hmb ssd ever again). (Nos sure about the hynyx, cannot find full specs).

Klosshufvud

Right now, I have more things to do than time to do them but in five years that may not be the case. I am also not interested in this beta version of the hardware anyways, though it is a great start. The screen is not great, the form factor is too big and bulky, and the battery life is too short. All of these things will likely be improved assuming the Deck stays on the market. If that happens and I have time to make use of one I'll be in the market, hence my statement that I hope it does well.
It's a pretty full-fledged handheld as it is now. The screen is great for IPS (I personally would not dare use OLED for a PC handheld) and battery life can be tweaked to last for a long time if you make the sacrifices the laws of thermodynamics require you to. However I can understand your point regardless regarding its unconventional nature. I'm wondering what Zen4/RDNA3 will do for the inevitable revisions. They could be pushing similar performance on a smaller form factor with less strain on battery life. That could open up some interesting new design options. However that depends if RDNA3 is what RDNA2 was to Vega. Which I'm sceptical of for the time being. RDNA2 was a really big deal in a lot of ways.

daveonezero

Banned
Nah. Majority of time is spent playing it on the couch or in bed. Only time I play at my desk is when I'm capturing footage from the Deck to an external capture card, or loading up and testing ROMs.

Internal SSD method. No swap or dongle required...

I have SteamOS+Win10 on an internal 1TB SSD with 705GB for Win10 and 235GB for SteamOS+ 512GB microSD.

That’s such a cool setup.
I hope they sell as many as they can. This thing is the definitive handheld. OLED Switch going on Ebay unless someone here wants to buy.
How much?

Denton

I didn't mean support as in driver or firmware updates to already-produced units, I meant support as in they still sell the thing at all.
Your argument makes zero sense. If you already buy something, why do you care for how long it is manufactured, when it works and is supported?

My Steam Deck will always be as useful as it is now even if Valve stopped making new ones tomorrow, as long as they support it SW-wise (and give me refund in case it stops working HW-wise).

It is fine not to want to buy one right now, for whatever reason. It is not fine to make up stupid reasons for it, such as Valve not supporting its products.

Anyway, this is all academic. Steam Deck is a big success for Valve and there is zero doubt that they will continue making these long into the future.

Last edited:
The steam store is giving me issues saying my address is not correct but I cant find anywhere to update my address in the account settings.
Im assuming they use credit card address but what about using the wallet funds?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The steam store is giving me issues saying my address is not correct but I cant find anywhere to update my address in the account settings.
Im assuming they use credit card address but what about using the wallet funds?
Did you delete your card on file under Account Details?

I’ve been having a ton of fun playing Half-Life 2 on mine.

Did you delete your card on file under Account Details?

I’ve been having a ton of fun playing Half-Life 2 on mine.
I dont have a card on file. I was trying to buy a deck using a credit card and it keeps saying my address is invalid. But there isnt a place to put an address in n the account settings so 🤷‍♂️
Do address in account have to match? Or does shipping account on credit card used?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I dont have a card on file. I was trying to buy a deck using a credit card and it keeps saying my address is invalid. But there isnt a place to put an address in n the account settings so 🤷‍♂️
Do address in account have to match? Or does shipping account on credit card used?
When I did mine I had a link and it wasn’t like a typical game purchase. So I really can’t answer your question, but it asked me for a shipping address even when I had my CC on file. I would start a ticket with Steam and retry the process completely.

When I did mine I had a link and it wasn’t like a typical game purchase. So I really can’t answer your question, but it asked me for a shipping address even when I had my CC on file. I would start a ticket with Steam and retry the process completely.
I put a credit card on file with address and then added the Deck and the Dock to the cart and now I'm the proud owner of a receipt for a Deck.
Now the waiting for the shipping notifications and hopeful delivery. No porch pirates please.

2 hour battery life. no thanks

edit: also expensive, no oled, and weird aspect ratio. hopefully the Deck 2 fixes these things...if Valve bother to make a second gen model

don't tell me this doesn't look better:

uzk29LL.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I´d stay away from that WD, HMB (host memory buffer) drives are the worst for gaming in my experience, I had an acer fa100 and it would not even load grass or world objects in heavily modded skyrim when moving into new cells lol, it also had some hiccups in Forza horizon 5. My cheapo sata kingston was flawless in comparison lol, despite being several times slower. (dramless is fine for gaming, but I´ll not touch an hmb ssd ever again). (Nos sure about the hynyx, cannot find full specs).
That's something to consider. Although, I don't have a Acer FA100. It's a WD SN530. I have about 80hrs into FH5, and around 20hrs have been on Steam Deck, and of that 15hrs were on the 512GB model, and 5hrs have been on the 64GB model with 1TB upgrade. I haven't noticed any issues with FH5 at all. I just played the Hot Wheels track for about 20min hitting speeds up to 260MPH and driving between the biomes and had zero issues outside a couple momentary frame rate drops. Tested the big freeway strip on the main map, too. No issues at 60fps low settings or 30fps medium.

Been playing Spider-Man Remastered on Deck a bunch, as well. I just played it for about 20min, swinging around the city at high speed an haven't seen any issues playing at 30fps, medium settings with high textures and x16 AF. Spider-Man is an asset steaming-heavy game with far view distance.

I'm not doubting you had issues on your setup, but as for the Steam Deck and WD SN530, you'd think it would manifest on either of these games since they are large open worlds with high-speed transversal.

Last edited:

lukilladog

That's something to consider. Although, I don't have a Acer FA100. It's a WD SN530. I have about 80hrs into FH5, and around 20hrs have been on Steam Deck, and of that 15hrs were on the 512GB model, and 5hrs have been on the 64GB model with 1TB upgrade. I haven't noticed any issues with FH5 at all. I just played the Hot Wheels track for about 20min hitting speeds up to 260MPH and driving between the biomes and had zero issues outside a couple momentary frame rate drops. Tested the big freeway strip on the main map, too. No issues at 60fps low settings or 30fps medium.

Been playing Spider-Man Remastered on Deck a bunch, as well. I just played it for about 20min, swinging around the city at high speed an haven't seen any issues playing at 30fps, medium settings with high textures and x16 AF. Spider-Man is an asset steaming-heavy game with far view distance.

I'm not doubting you had issues on your setup, but as for the Steam Deck and WD SN530, you'd think it would manifest on either of these games since they are large open worlds with high-speed transversal.

Well I was playing Forza horizon with extreme textures and geometry to be fair, also 4k and 8k textures for skyrim.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well I was playing Forza horizon with extreme textures and geometry to be fair, also 4k and 8k textures for skyrim.
I didn’t doubt you, but I figured that was the case. Deck is something like an Xbox One or PS4 with a decent Ryzen CPU, so it’s hard to put that much of a load on the SSD with asset streaming. I had no idea the difference between SSDs like that, so I’m glad you brought it up. I’ll keep an eye out for any issues with asset streaming and update my post if I find any.

Tams

Gold Member
The 256GB isn't really worth it. "2230 512GB nvme" drives go for $55-60 on eBay and are a very, very simple swap. That's double the storage, for 1/2 of the price difference between the 64 and 256.

The 512GB also doesn't make sense, as you can then buy an anti-glare glass screen protector for $16. And 1TB drives are $140-150.

If anyone is thinking about getting one soon, I recommend buying the nvme drive now if you are going to do the upgrade. With the Steam Deck being available I'm sure stock of them will dry up on eBay. The same thing happened in Oct 2021, the 1TB drives were just under $100 and I warned people. A month later they were up to $200 and stayed there until about 2-3 months ago.
FFS, don't but storage off eBay.

1. Too many scams. 2. With TLC, or even QLC flash storage these days, used drives and cards are not going to last that long.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Got my daughter a docking station to go with her Deck, which she's getting for her birthday coming up here in about a week. Hoping she loves it.

Graciaus

Ended up buying a 64 GB version. Only cost me $24 in tax with all my wallet money. Ordered on Saturday and just got an e-mail saying it'll be here on Thursday. This will get more use once my hours change and not work third shift in a couple months. Instead of fighting for the TV this seems like a better option.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Valve should also release a mini pc with steam os, about 6tf, shipped with a controller with steam deck pads etc. $499. I think it would sell well.

rofif

Banned
2 hour battery life. no thanks

edit: also expensive, no oled, and weird aspect ratio. hopefully the Deck 2 fixes these things...if Valve bother to make a second gen model

don't tell me this doesn't look better:

uzk29LL.jpg
I agree on aspect ratio and screen.
16:10 is a nightmare and just old resolution. Screen should be 720p oled or 1080p oled but rendering at 720p. Whatever.
But the price is fine. 2 hours of battery life is disappointing but it's ok

Saw a youtube short showing the box used to ship the Deck and a warning that Fedex employees know and are stealing the deck and delivering empty boxes.
Fed ex is also not enabling pickup location for the deck. I read that Valve specifically is not allowing it. (Why?)
Anyway has anyone had their Steam deck delivery stolen?
I am starting to think Ive got a 50/50 odds Though Ive never had an online order lost or stolen yet. I feel Im ‘due’.

Top Bottom