• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Griffon

Does anyone know if running a game from GOG via heroic launcher makes it perform worse than the Steam version? Do I have access to things like Steam community configs, etc.?
Its a bit finicky to add to steam, sometimes the automatic heroic shortcut into steam works, and sometimes you have to add the exe of the game manually into steam.

Either way it runs well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
question about battery life , how long is last ? how long it take to full charge ?
Expect high end 60fps to get you 2 hours or less.

Tales of Vesperia maxed with 30fps cap can get me 7ish hours.

It's great since my expectations are well tempered. And this thing has so much customization to make getting the best battery life easier than any other handheld by a country mile.

Thaedolus

Finally finished up Persona 4 Golden, like 9 years after I started it on my Vita (RIP). Feels good. Downloaded The Witcher 3 and did a reboot of the Deck and...nada...wouldn't power up at all. Tried to get into the BIOS and nada. Finally saw I could hold the power button for 10+ seconds, tried that, came back to life and then it redownloaded like a bunch of shaders or something?

Seems odd, first major hiccup I've had. Witcher 3 runs pretty great though, and I'm glad I didn't get the whiny fan because it seems like it was going full tilt running that. Pretty amazing stuff considering my desktop in 2014 or whenever it came out struggled to run it. My buddy had it on Switch and we did a side by side and it was night and day playing the full fat version on the Deck. I need to take the time to set up Emudeck this week. I ran the script previously but couldn't get the ROM manager to point to my SD card...I know nothing of Linux and might just need to hook up a mouse and keyboard; I was getting really frustrated trying to type commands on the onscreen keyboard and gave up.

Kupfer

question about battery life , how long is last ? how long it take to full charge ?
Completely depends on your own usage behavior. The device has a 40Whr battery installed and depending on the program, game and settings, my Deck consumes between 7watts and 22watts while playing games.
The calculation should not be too difficult.
I get about 6 hours with games that don't demand much from the hardware, and about 2 hours with games that stress the Deck to the max.
But you can optimize so much that you're never actually forced to be really close to 2 hours. Even modern games can be scaled so much that you get more playtime out of them.
If you expect a device that can play modern AAA games in 4k with ultra details for 10 hours straight, you won't be happy with the Deck.

skneogaf

I just got a notification to say my deposit has been authorised to be refunded.

Allegedly, I received an email to say I could order the steam deck.

I definitely didn't see an email notification, turns out their email did come but was lost in load of junk emails.

Oh well, I won't order again, the whole process is bizarre. Why did I not get a steam notification on my application or something actually notifying?

I imagine quite a few people have had it mess up this way.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

I definitely didn't see an email notification, turns out their email did come but was lost in load of junk emails.

Oh well, I won't order again, the whole process is bizarre. Why did I not get a steam notification on my application or something actually notifying?

Just contact Steam Support and they’ll let you order still without waiting. No biggie.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Got the email.

game time finale GIF by Fox TV

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I put in a reservation on Sept. 5th for a 64GB model for my oldest son and it just came up for purchase today. Valve is now fulfilling orders from the same month. It’s possible that soon you will be able to just buy one without a reservation. Amazing times. Although, I wanted this for a Christmas present so Valve is kind of killing me by making it available now. 😅

On a side note, I should get my 1TB 2230 internal drive soon. Tracking says it arrived in my town today.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bros? Mine just got shipped.

cat Heavy breathing GIF

I'll start looking for tips and trick videos and shit like that. Would be nice to know the system before it arrives.

PD: Got a question for you guys. I have custom artwork for some games of my Steam Library. Are those transfered/visible on the Deck? Or do I have to set them up again?

Last edited:

MachRc

cat Heavy breathing GIF

I'll start looking for tips and trick videos and shit like that. Would be nice to know the system before it arrives.

PD: Got a question for you guys. I have custom artwork for some games of my Steam Library. Are those transfered/visible on the Deck? Or do I have to set them up again?
These helped me alot.

Follow this video from beginning to end, it will get you used to adding non steam apps/games, and running them via proton layers. And at the same time get epic launcher in.

Download warpinator on your steamdeck and windows. since you cannot plug your steam deck to your pc to transfer, you wirelessly transfer (i get up to like 30 megabytes per second and higher) folders/files to your steam deck. Some pc games that are already installed will just run when you move it to your steam deck when you add the launch .exe as non steam game and run it with proton compatibility(amazing). You can assign to receive folders/files straight to sd card in preference on warpinator to path \run\media\steamdeck\"bunch of numbers"\

just create a folder games on your sd card via dolphin

Custom Art

I just downlaoded a bunch of photos as coverart on my pc and warpinator'd it to my steamdeck.

CobraAB

I had gotten the email for my 512 GB model 3 weeks ago. Had pre-ordered in early Feb. I mulled it over for a few hours but $650 was just a bit more than I could really justify. I cancelled but then put in a pre-order for the 64 GB. Well, I got the email yesterday and pulled the trigger. Just need to wait on the shipping now.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I had gotten the email for my 512 GB model 3 weeks ago. Had pre-ordered in early Feb. I mulled it over for a few hours but $650 was just a bit more than I could really justify. I cancelled but then put in a pre-order for the 64 GB. Well, I got the email yesterday and pulled the trigger. Just need to wait on the shipping now.
This is really the best way to go. Get the 64GB and upgrade it yourself. The exception would be if somebody really wanted the anti-glare etched glass or didn’t feel comfortable opening the unit and doing the upgrade themselves.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just got my brand New 1TB 2230 in the mail. Don't have time to install it, but I was excited so I wanted to test it and make a post.

It's a WD SN530 m.2 2230 1TB from China for $148.50 after shipping. I also have a used SK Hynix 256GB I got for my older son's Deck for $19.99.
Ph0B7t4.jpg

I was a little tripped out when I opened the box and found a Lite-On case, but inside was the WD SN530 drive. I guess it's just OEM and they use the Lite-On cases they have to ship it.

Tested them both in Crystal Disk Info...
Z3VdyR3.jpg

WD SN530: 100% Health, 0GB Reads/0GB Writes, 0 Power On Hours, 4 Power On Count
sn3PMhL.jpg

SK Hynix BC711: 100% Health, 329GB Reads/406GB Writes, 9 Power On Hours, 20 Power On Count

Seems all is well. I got $650 for my 512GB unit I sold to a kid who was going on family vacation and didn't have a reservation(NO SCALP!). Bought a 64GB unit and 1TB SSD for $548.50 combined. Good shit. So thankful to that kid for helping out, and extremely happy to have 1TB internal space for SteamOS+Win10 dual-boot plus 512GB microSD for SteamOS. No more storage management. Full-blast Game Pass about to go down.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Just got my 1TB 2230 in the mail. Don't have time to install it, but I was excited so I wanted to test it and make a post.

It's a WD SN530 m.2 2230 1TB from China for $148.50 after shipping. I also have a used SK Hynix 256GB I got for my older son's Deck for $19.99.
Ph0B7t4.jpg

I was a little tripped out when I opened the box and found a Lite-On case, but inside was the WD SN530 drive. I guess it's just OEM and they use the Lite-On cases they have to ship it.

Tested them both in Crystal Disk Info...
Z3VdyR3.jpg

WD SN530: 100% Health, 0GB Reads/0GB Writes, 0 Power On Hours, 4 Power On Count
sn3PMhL.jpg

SK Hynix BC711: 100% Health, 329GB Reads/406GB Writes, 9 Power On Hours, 20 Power On Count

Seems all is well. I got $650 for my 512GB unit I sold to a kid who was going on family vacation and didn't have a reservation(NO SCALP!). Bought a 64GB unit and 1TB SSD for $548.50 combined. Good shit. So thankful to that kid for helping out, and extremely happy to have 1TB internal space for SteamOS+Win10 dual-boot plus 512GB microSD for SteamOS. No more storage management. Full-blast Game Pass about to go down.
Curious, why "WD SN530: 100% Health, 0GB Reads/0GB Writes, 0 Power On Hours, 4 Power On Count"
I.e. 0GB reads/0GB Writes?

I'd like to upgrade the internal SSD but 1TB nvme drives are stupid expensive, good to know if cheaper ordering from China.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Curious, why "WD SN530: 100% Health, 0GB Reads/0GB Writes, 0 Power On Hours, 4 Power On Count"
I.e. 0GB reads/0GB Writes?

I'd like to upgrade the internal SSD but 1TB nvme drives are stupid expensive, good to know if cheaper ordering from China.
I forgot to say it was Brand New, so it’s never been used. Thus 0GB reads/writes compared to the SK Hynix that saw some use. Alleged speed is 2400MB/s read, 1900MB/s write. Just like 512GB Steam Deck drive.

It was the cheapest I could find this drive that the seller claimed had more free space after format than other drives(+87GB was the claim). Ordered it from horizon_electronic in China on Sept 15th, arrived in Oregon Sept. 27th, so 12 days total. Price went up ~$7 since I bought it.

I did see some New 2230 1TB drives sold here in the US recently for around $155-$160. Estimated shipping time was 7-10 days.

Both drives tested just fine, so I’m really happy so far. Thinking of going with 800GB for Win10, then the remaining ~140GB for SteamOS shader cache and some Emu, then the 512GB microSD for games on SteamOS. I have a feeling it’s good to leave some extra space on the SteamOS partition that doesn’t get used, so Win10 doesn’t fuck with it during updates. I’ll leave at least 40GB unused on the SteamOS partition and the other 100GB for the aforementioned shader cache and emu.

If you order a 1TB drive from anywhere make sure it’s sold as New and the seller has a 30-day return policy.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I forgot to say it was Brand New, so it’s never been used. Thus 0GB reads/writes compared to the SK Hynix that saw some use. Alleged speed is 2400MB/s read, 1900MB/s write. Just like 512GB Steam Deck drive.

It was the cheapest I could find this drive that the seller claimed had more free space after format than other drives(+87GB was the claim). Ordered it from horizon_electronic in China on Sept 15th, arrived in Oregon Sept. 27th, so 12 days total. Price went up ~$7 since I bought it.

I did see some New 2230 1TB drives sold here in the US recently for around $155-$160. Estimated shipping time was 7-10 days.

Both drives tested just fine, so I’m really happy so far. Thinking of going with 800GB for Win10, then the remaining ~140GB for SteamOS shader cache and some Emu, then the 512GB microSD for games on SteamOS. I have a feeling it’s good to leave some extra space on the SteamOS partition that doesn’t get used, so Win10 doesn’t fuck with it during updates. I’ll leave at least 40GB unused on the SteamOS partition and the other 100GB for the aforementioned shader cache and emu.

If you order a 1TB drive from anywhere make sure it’s sold as New and the seller has a 30-day return policy.
Thanks for the clarification, I need to look into this.

stevish

Neo Member
Anyone in Aus buy one? If so where did you buy? How much? Would love it if valve started shipping here but not holding my breath...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just finished upgrading my 64GB Deck to with a 1TB 2230 SSD. I followed the iFixit guide found here. With a couple tweaks to the process.

The actual process took pretty much exactly 40min from the beginning of removing the screws to the end, the installation of SteamOS onto the new internal drive. The updating of SteamOS took more time since it doesn't like using my 5GHz WiFi channels for updating, so I had to redo it with the 2.4GHz channel. Who knows. This is also excluding the draining of the battery to 25% or below and putting it into Battery Storage Mode, and also the creation of the Steam Deck Recovery Image flash drive. However, the actual teardown, SSD swap, reassembly, and SteamOS installation was 40min.
Firstly I used Cyberpunk on Ultra with uncapped framerate to drain the battery while consuming 26-27W total system power. While I did this I downloaded the Steam Deck Recovery Image from here. Then I used Rufus(Portable version) from here to create a bootable flash drive to use to reimage the Deck. Once the Deck went below 25% battery, I followed these instructions to put it into Battery Storage Mode. After that I popped out the microSD card!

I sat up in my bed and made some room on my end table to lay out screws and tools. I have the iFixit replacement fan kit that includes the screwdriver, tweezers, and guitar pick looking thing. IMO a magnetic screwdriver head is a must for this process.
KmtHU3Z.jpg

Then I put on this 40min video by guitarist Justin Johnson which fits with upgrading a Steam Deck pretty well.

Make sure to pop out your microSD card!!

Next I removed all the screws and put them on the end table in the same layout I pulled them so I can remember. From what I can tell there's 4 short and 4 long, and none of them seemed different from the others.

As stated in the comments of the iFixit tutorial, the best method of popping open the case with the guitar pick was not at the right-side, but instead on the top by the fan exhaust. It was way easier to get it going at that spot.

I removed the foil covering the shield screw and put it safely to the side. As suspected, I have the good/quiet Huaying fan in this unit. Thank heavens.
lOtykzD.jpg

I removed the shield and put the screws on the end table. Then I disconnected the battery as per instructions by pulling the battery disconnect tab.

Next, I removed the SSD screw and pulled the drive out. They tell you to peel open the drive shielding, but you can just slide it off the old drive and slide it on the new drive. The 64GB drive is what I believe is called "B+M" Key, compared to the faster NVMe drives that are "M" Key. Here's the old 64GB "B+M" key drive and the new 1TB "M" key drive with shielding slid on without peeling it apart...
SH1zolw.jpg

Once the new drive was in and the SSD screw was holding the drive down I just reversed the steps and put it back together. Then I plugged it in to take it out of Battery Storage Mode and used a USB-C dock to boot to the Steam Recovery Image flash drive by going into the BIOS with [Vol-] + Power. I chose the option "Reimage Steam Deck" and after it finished I chose to Proceed with reboot. From there the Deck reboots into the standard menu, has you log into your WiFi, and updates the Deck.

The teardown and reassembly was 25min. It took another 15min to reimage the Deck, reboot, and log into the WiFi. I'd say the hardest part is prying open the case, which is easy if you open it by the fan exhaust port.

I'll update this post once I've installed Win10 and confirmed it's all working and the free space on the drive, along with the drive speed tests.*EDIT* GParted is reporting 953.87GB space on the drive, just like the seller stated. I guess some other 1TB 2230 have 867GB. In the Steam Deck menu there's 938GB on the partition, with 935GB free after update.

P.S.- I did a tutorial on Steam Forums for dual-booting SteamOS+Windows. You can find it here.
---
Finished setting up the SteamOS+Win10 dual-boot. Ended up going with 705GB for Win10 and 234GB for SteamOS. Then I have the 512GB microSD for SteamOS. SteamOS games that were on the microSD didn't have to be reinstalled. Working on downloading a shitload of Game Pass games in Win10 right now. Also have access to my EGS and GoG libraries without having to tinker, which is nice.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just had to RMA mine and I miss it quite a bit. I'd just got all the tricky games like thief and system shock set up too.
What happened, man? I had to do an RMA on my original 512GB Deck due to it having a screaming banshee Delta fan. It was a bummer, but I was glad to have a new fully-functioning unit after it was all said and done.

Kupfer

Steam Deck shipped, tracking is not yet enabled. Chances for Friday delivery (GLS / Europe)?
That's optimistic. Got my 3rd Deck now and everytime the GLS tracking was one day off :"Sorry, but your delivery is unexpectedly delayed by one day".
Hope it works better for you

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Steam Deck shipped, tracking is not yet enabled. Chances for Friday delivery (GLS / Europe)?
Mine's still in Netherlands, long way until it arrives at Spain I'm afraid. :goog_relieved:

Best of luck bro, I'm my case I'm not very optimistic.

What happened, man? I had to do an RMA on my original 512GB Deck due to it having a screaming banshee Delta fan. It was a bummer, but I was glad to have a new fully-functioning unit after it was all said and done.
I'm not sure. I hadn't used it for a week or so and when I came to turn it on it powered up but the screen was off. Turned it on and off a few times and it came back to life. I was mid way getting the Goldeneye remaster to work on it and it just turned off and never came back. No led when charging etc.

JCK75

My 2nd Steam Deck arrived yesterday (got my son the 64GB version but he won't get it until December as a Birthday/Christmas gift).. waiting for the 512GB SSD to arrive from amazon so I can perform an upgrade..
that gives me about 2 months to figure out how to get Roblox and Minecraft to run for him.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

Also you do get a notification on the steam app on pc. I got it multiple times

My steam deck arrived yesterday. I love it so far but only played a bit of arkham origins. What are some beginner tips for it?

I ordered a new SSD and sd card, gonna turn this 64gb into 1tb

TintoConCasera

I’m in France, they can drop mine on the way to deliver yours.
Hey! Just got an email from GLS, apparently they'll be delivering mine tomorrow, so... best of luck for both of us!

What hurricane?

vgybrbpisnq91.jpg
Lovely pic, and a lovely factory you got there. How well does Factorio play on the Deck? Is it PC-like controls, or do they have any solution for gamepad?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hey! Just got an email from GLS, apparently they'll be delivering mine tomorrow, so... best of luck for both of us!

Lovely pic, and a lovely factory you got there. How well does Factorio play on the Deck? Is it PC-like controls, or do they have any solution for gamepad?
Not my pic. Factorio runs native on Linux so I assume performance is good. No controller support, from I'm reading on protondb, though.

kiphalfton

cat Heavy breathing GIF

How long does it take to ship?

Bought mine 5 days ago and haven't seen any tracking info. I'm in the PNW part of the U.S.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How long does it take to ship?

Bought mine 5 days ago and haven't seen any tracking info. I'm in the PNW part of the U.S.
What's up, man. I live in Oregon.

I ordered my son's 256GB unit Monday, April 4th. Shipped on Wednesday, April 6th. Arrived Tuesday, April 12th.

Ordered my old 512GB unit Monday, May 9th. Shipped on Thursday, May 12th. Arrived Wednesday, May 18th.

Can't find the info for the 64GB unit right now since it was under my older son's account and I don't have his login info.

kiphalfton

What's up, man. I live in Oregon.

I ordered my son's 256GB unit Monday, April 4th. Shipped on Wednesday, April 6th. Arrived Tuesday, April 12th.

Ordered my old 512GB unit Monday, May 9th. Shipped on Thursday, May 12th. Arrived Wednesday, May 18th.

Can't find the info for the 64GB unit right now since it was under my older son's account and I don't have his login info.

Trying to take advantage of no sales tax while I can, as I'm moving out of Oregon within the next month. That will be missed.

But yeah those times looked like about what I would have expected, but apparently over on Reddit some people are saying their order from the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th have yet to ship (but ironically people who ordered after that have had theirs shipped).

Just hoping it comes before mid October or doesn't get delayed.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I sold my 512GB and took my older son’s 64GB reserve and upgraded it to 1TB. I made 2 more reserves for another 64GB for him for Christmas. The one on Sept. 5th came up for purchase this past Monday. Too early, so I canceled and re-reserved. Now the other preorder I made on Sept. 12th just came up for purchase today. We are nearly at a point that you get to purchase your Deck within 2 weeks of preorder. Wild times. I’m just going to cancel and re-reserve it for a few weeks for now. Can be a Halloween present or something.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Pre ordered 256gb earlier this week, just got email asking for payment. Have until 2nd October to decide whether I need one or not. Aarrrggghh
Damn those release date really have progressed nicely. IDK if it sways you, but I haven't really seen any takes online of anyone regretting their purchase. If money is tight, there's no reason to buy now, as it seems the wait time is pretty much gone.

NeonDelta

Damn those release date really have progressed nicely. IDK if it sways you, but I haven't really seen any takes online of anyone regretting their purchase. If money is tight, there's no reason to buy now, as it seems the wait time is pretty much gone.
I have 400 ready to go towards a new iPad Pro so will use that then sell my switch to recover some of the cost. the iPad can wait till Xmas.

Anyone know who delivers it in England and how long delivery takes? I'm on holiday in Wales for the next week.

TintoConCasera

Pre ordered 256gb earlier this week, just got email asking for payment. Have until 2nd October to decide whether I need one or not. Aarrrggghh
Just do it bro. I don't need it either, but I can imagine the device being great for old games and indie games, which will help me with clearing my massive backlog.

Top Bottom