• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Marchizmo

Try launching them in desktop mode and see if that works. Arkham City used to crash and black screen on me in game mode, but in desktop mode it ran, then when I played it in game mode it worked.
I tried that along with a factory reset, I still seem to be getting them. When I open For the King in desktop mode it did the flicker and screen lock and became more unresponsive and I had to force restart.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We’re going to go over some of the best horror games to play right now on your Steam Deck. Here are the conditions: the game has to run well on Deck and it has to be a good fit for the handheld/on-the-go experience.

Spooky season is in full swing and what better way to celebrate than to play some scary games. It's also a great time to visit pumpkin patches or haunted houses, so while you travel, why not take those games with you. The Steam Deck is the perfect way to play all those scream inducing experiences while on-the-go.

This list consists of games like Dead Space, a survival-horror game in which you play as Isaac Clarke, an engineer sent to repair a ship’s communication system after it mysteriously goes offline. Unfortunately for him, that repair job quickly turns into a battle for survival when he finds the ship is a floating human slaughterhouse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human which takes place 15 years after the events of the first game. In it you play as Aiden Caldwell, a member of a group of freelance runners and you’re on a quest to find your sister Mia.

And Let’s be honest, there are a lot of Resident Evil games out there and at this point in the series they could have a Steam Deck video all to themselves. So for this list we’re just going to focus on the latest release, Resident Evil Village. The game picks up 3 years after the story of Resident Evil 7 and continues to focus on Ethan Winters. After rescuing his wife Mia from the Baker house–spoilers–and subsequently getting saved by Resident Evil franchise mainstay Chris Redfield–extra spoilers–the couple try to restart their lives in Europe. One thing leads to another and you, aka Ethan, find yourself drowning in another crazy trauma inducing situation.

Timestamps
0:00 Intro
0:15 Dead Space
2:10 Dying Light 2: Stay Human
3:15 Bioshock
4:10 The Quarry
4:59 Alien Isolation
5:49 Resident Evil Village
6:44 The Evil Within
7:33 The Little Nightmares 1 & 2

bender

What time is it?
Played though Stranglehold on my deck. Lot's of framerate issue due to shader compilations stutters. Never played the game before but it's a ton of over-the-top fun. The destruction is absolutely mental. I think there is a really fantastic game here trapped under some shortcomings, namely the lack of areas and seemingly endless waves of enemies to pad the already short length. The standoff mechanic is a little annoying too. Even at its' worst, it's still a John Woo power fantasy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Crystal Project is just perfect for the Deck. Recommend for any JRPG fans who would like something light on story but heavy on exploration, and also with a job system.

dolabla

Can confirm it works great. Holy crap this thing is amazing. The screen is better than I thought it would be (256gb). This is the best money I've spent in a while. I can not believe I'm actually being able to play some of these games on a handheld. I've been having a blast. I went ahead and ordered the dock as well.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, I beat Yoku's Island Express. It was incredibly enjoyable. I've got a few achievements left before 100% so I will probably go for it. I've played the entire thing on Deck. I absolutely love this device.

Still making my way through Session as well. About 10 achievements left there.

I need to pick up Lego Bricktales still and start that. I played a bit of the demo on Deck and enjoyed it. I think this type of puzzle game will be perfect for playing on the Deck.

This little thing has given me more gaming time than anything since the Switch first launched. I've 100% 8 separate games since getting one.

e: and 100% done on Yoku.

Last edited:

Calverz

Got my official dock today. Seems well made and had to update immediately.

First thing I noticed when I connected it to my lg CX in my living room, was it was outputting at 1080p and video settings in games were maxing at 720p or something.

So I did a bit of digging, there is a setting in the steam os that “automatically set resolution”. Turn this off and then blast it up to 4K. Then manually set the game you want to play in its properties to 4K. This then allows you to change the resolution in game to 1080p or whatever.

I did this for my non steam game, “epic games” so I’m now playing tony hawks at 1080p on my tv. It’s pretty neat.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'll preface this by saying I was impressed by the AOKZOE A1 and even considered buying it at one point, but my biggest concern was related to the support issue and possible problems with dealing with a Chinese startup. This is why I I'm more confident sticking with the Steam Deck and just waiting on the future Deck 2 for an upgrade...
WIRHYjS.jpg
TLDR: The A1 was supposed to ship to backers by the end of September. They were able to ship a "small batch" at their own cost, but the rest of the units are still being held by the factory until they receive payment. Allegedly, Kickstarter is unable to transfer funds to their account, so they cannot pay the factory.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Really diggin the deck. At first I thought the battery life was abysmal but swapping to 40/45 refresh rate and using less power (lots of games can run @45fps using only 7 watts) increased the battery life immensely. What an amazing piece of hardware. I've been seeing "40fps" modes touted on consoles so I had to try that out. Felt pretty similar to 30fps to me but 45 refresh rate @ 45fps felt a lot better. It's crazy playing NFS Rivals, Split Second, GTAIV, Killer Instinct, and tons more smoothly while still retaining good battery life.

Steam Deck 2 is going to be insane.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Really diggin the deck. At first I thought the battery life was abysmal but swapping to 40/45 refresh rate and using less power (lots of games can run @45fps using only 7 watts) increased the battery life immensely. What an amazing piece of hardware. I've been seeing "40fps" modes touted on consoles so I had to try that out. Felt pretty similar to 30fps to me but 45 refresh rate @ 45fps felt a lot better. It's crazy playing NFS Rivals, Split Second, GTAIV, Killer Instinct, and tons more smoothly while still retaining good battery life.

Steam Deck 2 is going to be insane.
Since when does the Deck have a 45hz option?

Filben

Since when does the Deck have a 45hz option?
It was first introduced in a Beta update months ago and is also in the Stable branch as well for a while now.

Just open the Quick Access menu, go to Performance tab (the one with the battery icon) and scroll until below the FPS limiter. There you should see the refresh rate setting.

Kupfer

You can set refresh rate anywhere between 40-60. For crash bandicoot trilogy and gta4 I have refresh and frame rate cap set to 45. For an indie game I’ve been playing I have it set to 40/40.

It was first introduced in a Beta update months ago and is also in the Stable branch as well for a while now.

Just open the Quick Access menu, go to Performance tab (the one with the battery icon) and scroll until below the FPS limiter. There you should see the refresh rate setting.

Yeah, I set everything to 40hz months ago and if I remember right, there was only 60hz 50hz and 40hz back then. But good to know.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Haven't used my Steam Deck yet, but for any games I've already downloaded on my PC that I want on my Deck can I just copy the file folder from the steam apps/common root folder and copy/paste to my SD card folder?

I'd assume so, but figured I'd ask. That way I don't have to essentially redownload however many games.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Haven't used my Steam Deck yet, but for any games I've already downloaded on my PC that I want on my Deck can I just copy the file folder from the steam apps/common root folder and copy/paste to my SD card folder?

I'd assume so, but figured I'd ask. That way I don't have to essentially redownload however many games.
If the game supports cloud saves no action is needed. If they don't, then I think it depends on the game.

Filben

This should be possible, did so myself with Stardew Valley because modding on PC is easier.

Make sure, if you use a Windows desktop PC, to use the Proton version on the Deck to initialize installation/download in case the game has a native Linux version. That way you'll make sure to keep the folder structure intact and on par with the structure on Windows.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
For some unknown reason my Deck refuses to open the login page of my hotels Wi-Fi. I’ve not had any issues with this type of thing before. Guess my Deck will stay offline for the time being.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just finished my first game on Deck:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I don't know why I've waited so long to play this one. I'm a massive immersive sim fan and it did not disappoint. Plus, it plays great on Deck (40FPS / High settings).

Me recommends it.
I have it but haven’t played yet. I should since I loved the OG one and Human Revolution.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I have it but haven’t played yet. I should since I loved the OG one and Human Revolution.

It's a step up from Human Revolution in everything other than story (which is unfinished and hints at sequel that most likely will never come) and characters.

The open world hub located in Prague feels amazing to explore, super packed with detail.

If you liked HR, you will like this one 100%.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What do you think of the 40fps mode? For some games I think it's fine, but in others I've experienced some input lag that was kinda annoying. Any advice to fix that?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
What do you think of the 40fps mode? For some games I think it's fine, but in others I've experienced some input lag that was kinda annoying. Any advice to fix that?

I haven't encountered any input lag in the few games I run in 40fps mode, but then I don't use it in many unless performance is abyssmal otherwise. Which games are you seeing the lag in?

In other news, dunno if it's just my setup or what, but that last update to the Steam OS caused my download speeds from Steam to fly, almost triple the speed they were going.

Filben

Steam Deck's own frame limiter introduced quite the input lag. Use in-game limiters at first. Only use the Deck's limiter if the game doesn't have one, has a broken one, or doesn't offer the value you want.

TintoConCasera

I haven't encountered any input lag in the few games I run in 40fps mode, but then I don't use it in many unless performance is abyssmal otherwise. Which games are you seeing the lag in?

Could really notice it in Elden Ring. But not in Yakuza 6, for example.

Do settings like full screen or V-Sync make an effect on input lag?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I keep thinking about Neo Turf Masters. Anyone here know if MAME roms still need to match the version of MAME? I remember having a hell of a time getting roms to match properly with MAME back in the day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This fucking idiot at it again.
I have a gaming pc and steam deck sucks because my pc is more powerful.
First time pc gamer, first time rig builder looking for approval of his expenses.... and he shits on everything that is not a pc... even a handheld pc lol.
Some of these first time nuveu riche pc gamers lack experience to develop the perspective of respect and understanding that there are other platforms that are for different audiences.

I know pcmr is not like that since this guy is always the biggest idiot with everything he covers. But it's still offputting and some people really only look at the tip of their nose.
Steam deck is absolutely amazing and I say that even as I am not playing it as much as I would expect.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This fucking idiot at it again.
I have a gaming pc and steam deck sucks because my pc is more powerful.
First time pc gamer, first time rig builder looking for approval of his expenses.... and he shits on everything that is not a pc... even a handheld pc lol.
Some of these first time nuveu riche pc gamers lack experience to develop the perspective of respect and understanding that there are other platforms that are for different audiences.

I know pcmr is not like that since this guy is always the biggest idiot with everything he covers. But it's still offputting and some people really only look at the tip of their nose.
Steam deck is absolutely amazing and I say that even as I am not playing it as much as I would expect.

I think this guy is not being serious. He just says controversial and nonsensical stuff to generate outrage which in result is generating clicks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think this guy is not being serious. He just says controversial and nonsensical stuff to generate outrage which in result is generating clicks.
ah yeah I just realized who that is. It's the asshat who took act man down for a month.
I think he is making these vids so people react to it and he claims ad revenue

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
ah yeah I just realized who that is. It's the asshat who took act man down for a month.
I think he is making these vids so people react to it and he claims ad revenue

Yep, it's the same one. He thinks he's baller with his 3080Ti. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Well, I got 4090 and 512GB Steam Deck the same week and I've spent more time playing on the Deck since then. Easily. It's an amazing device.

Last edited:
How's Witcher 3 on the Deck? It seems to be solid but I keep reading that the controller settings can be wonky and I don't feel like doing any extra editing for a game I've played twice already. Just want to snag it on Steam and hop in.

Top Bottom