• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Tunned

How's Witcher 3 on the Deck? It seems to be solid but I keep reading that the controller settings can be wonky and I don't feel like doing any extra editing for a game I've played twice already. Just want to snag it on Steam and hop in.
It plays and looks great when locked at 30fps. Otherwise from my experience it does not really hold 40fps, yet alone 60, unless you want to play in potato quality.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Little video by The Phawx on using Deck UI on Windows. You've been able to do this for a while, but I don't remember the Deck keyboard working correctly before, so maybe there's a newer version. You still can't do the granular Performance Menu tweaking you can do in SteamOS, but you can use something like Adrenaline and FPS Chill to control frame rate if you'd like. You can also use CRU to tweak screen refresh rate. Would be nice if Valve would just enable those features, but I have the feeling they don't feel it's in their best interest to add everything into Windows, so they keep it bare bones.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I get tempted at times to sell my PS5 and Series S and buy one of these to go alongside my Switch Oled. I’ve got a 1080p monitor I could dock this on. Only thing that worries me is if a gen 2 is going to be released within the next 24 months.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How's Witcher 3 on the Deck? It seems to be solid but I keep reading that the controller settings can be wonky and I don't feel like doing any extra editing for a game I've played twice already. Just want to snag it on Steam and hop in.
Plays great. Never had any issues with the controls. I've been playing at 960x600 FSR(4 Sharpening), Crowd/Shadows/Terrain set to 'Medium', all else set to 'High', AA enabled, SSAO enabled @ 50fps. You can largely hit 60fps outside of npc-heavy areas like Hierarch Square, but 50fps will give you good experience without excessive frame time fluctuation in certain areas on the map.

You can set launch options for “-window -height 600 -width 960” and get 16:10 FSR scaling for fullscreen play on Deck. On TW3 you should be able to cap the frame rate without using the built-in Deck frame rate limiter or v-sync by just dropping the screen refresh rate in the Deck performance menu.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I just love it when new games release and they're automatically set to play on Steam Deck properly. Case in point, fired up Persona 5 Royal last night and wow, plays perfectly (as far as I can tell after 3 hours)!
I’ve put in 16 hours, probably 2/3rds of that on the Deck, and it’s been flawless. You’d never know it’s a Windows game running through a Linux translation layer or whatever.

And cloud sync makes going between my desktop and Deck very seamless. Not quite drop-in-a-dock and now it’s on the TV like Switch, you do have to exit the game to sync then load it on desktop, but close enough.

Last edited:

dolabla

This is such an amazing machine. Finally got my Dock. I decided to turn my laptop table (that I never used) into a dedicated Steam Deck docking portable station (around the house at least, lol.) Looks amazing on a my OLED 15" monitor (sorry for the bad pics that do not do it justice).

I get tempted at times to sell my PS5 and Series S and buy one of these to go alongside my Switch Oled. I’ve got a 1080p monitor I could dock this on. Only thing that worries me is if a gen 2 is going to be released within the next 24 months.

Handhelds much more powerful than the Deck will release in that window.

Keep in mind that Valves goal isn't necessarily to sell Decks, but to make those types of machines popular so people buy more Steam games. If the Deck sells well but other handhelds don't, then Valve will keep releasing Decks to make up for those sales

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
4qfbxuwvgpw91.png

TrebleShot

Valve onto something incredible here they may find themselves stumbling into the console space imagine a Steam Console with similar power performance as a top end gaming PC I think people would pay 1-1.5k if it was something that was dockable like switch but had respectable specs to run games 1440p /4k -60

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried to play with my Deck under the sun today, and man, it was impossible even at full brightness. Mind you, I don't have the model with the anti-glare screen, and I was trying to play DOOM (93) which is a fairly dark game, but still kinda disappointed and regret not getting the model with anti-glare.

Is there any solution for this? Some kind of screen protector maybe?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PowerTools is extremely helpful for boosting and ironing out frame rate issues with Yuzu. Brings Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Link's Awakening from nearly unplayable to 60fps with occasional drops even at 1280x800. Just turn off SMT, and lock CPU and GPU to high frequencies and it pretty much irons out the issues.

Before:
0NhFzd7.jpg

After:
NdwGBym.jpg

Before:
cVsPcZ2.jpg

After:
FiQ49MD.jpg

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
My son's both have Switch Lites, so to be honest I've only every play Odyssey in handheld mode. I didn't realize there were motion-only moves until now.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
That's awesome 🤣

They're kinda janky but some of the advanced moves can only (I think) be used with motion controls. Been awhile since I played it and it's def on my list when I get emulation set up on the Deck. Thanks for the advice.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A Plague Tale: Requiem GP version running on Win10 with DLSS to FSR 2.1 mod...

DLSS to FSR 2.1(Quality Mode): 32fps
n0beCkY.jpg

TAA: 25fps
XzVffI0.jpg

Menu showing DLSS unlocked along with screenshots with frame rate I took with my phone camera...
DLSS to FSR 2.1(32fps):
N3emzZ9.jpg

TAA(25fps):
XQQRgkV.jpg

Menu showing DLSS unlocked vs normal TAA menu:
NxE5CLH.jpg
xqkU51m.jpg

**NOTE**
DLSS should be initially set to 'Auto' by the user, then the quality can be set to 'Quality', 'Balanced', or 'Performance' in the config file 'ENGINESETTINGS' using notepad. If you try to switch it to anything but 'Auto' in the game you'll likely end up with a blue screen(not of death, just reset...BSOR).

Last edited:

Filben

Little video by The Phawx on using Deck UI on Windows. You've been able to do this for a while, but I don't remember the Deck keyboard working correctly before, so maybe there's a newer version. You still can't do the granular Performance Menu tweaking you can do in SteamOS, but you can use something like Adrenaline and FPS Chill to control frame rate if you'd like. You can also use CRU to tweak screen refresh rate. Would be nice if Valve would just enable those features, but I have the feeling they don't feel it's in their best interest to add everything into Windows, so they keep it bare bones.

Sounds good but as long as the fan curve cannot be controlled in Windows, that OS is out of the question. You will have the default fan curve, not the updated one by Valve via SteamOS, which means it's blowing all the time. Super annoying.

But I guess it is just a matter of time.

Ogbert

This fucking idiot at it again.
I have a gaming pc and steam deck sucks because my pc is more powerful.
First time pc gamer, first time rig builder looking for approval of his expenses.... and he shits on everything that is not a pc... even a handheld pc lol.
Some of these first time nuveu riche pc gamers lack experience to develop the perspective of respect and understanding that there are other platforms that are for different audiences.

I know pcmr is not like that since this guy is always the biggest idiot with everything he covers. But it's still offputting and some people really only look at the tip of their nose.
Steam deck is absolutely amazing and I say that even as I am not playing it as much as I would expect.

What an absolute bellend.

He’s so pointlessly angry.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sounds good but as long as the fan curve cannot be controlled in Windows, that OS is out of the question. You will have the default fan curve, not the updated one by Valve via SteamOS, which means it's blowing all the time. Super annoying.

But I guess it is just a matter of time.
I use the original fan curve on SteamOS instead of the updated one. I never really notice the fan when I’m using Windows and they sound about the same when I’m playing games. I have a good Huaying fan, so compared to my old Deck that had a whiney Delta before I RMA’d it, it’s all very pleasant sounding to me. I would not want to go without Windows since I play a lot games via GP.

However, I do wish Valve would bring all the same features over from SteamOS performance menu, along with the fan curves. I understand why they don’t, though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I didn't have any issues with the game on Deck. On medium settings it looks great at that resolution - can't remember the framerate I was getting but it looked good. The controls are likewise comfortable, IMO, since the back paddles can replace the annoying L3 and R3 clicks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ooof. I decided. Deck is amazing but I don't use my 256gb almost at all.
I've cancelled the 64gb I've had for nephew and will give him my 256gb for christmas.
He doesn't know about it or that I have it, so it's fine.
I've told my sister that she needs to pay the rest though. I am giving 250$. Seems fair enough? you know.... I organized it all, came up with the idea and so on :p

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Started playing Mafia Definitive Edition and the amount of detail seen in a handheld console is out of this world. It's way more impressive than Cyberpunk IMO.

Though from my findings we can see how the Deck is actually lacking in CPU performance and efficiency in this kind of games. If I lock framerate to 30FPS the GPU hardly ever goes over 1.2GHz (1.2 TFLOPs) whereas the CPU cores gladly clock over 3.2GHz to keep the framerate stable. Perhaps if it had 8 cores it would need lower clocks.
Here's hoping for the Deck's successor to have 8 Zen4 cores.

DLSS to FSR 2.1(Quality Mode): 32fps
With the Deck's pixel density you could probably do Balanced or even Performance and lock the framerate to 40FPS.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Started playing Mafia Definitive Edition and the amount of detail seen in a handheld console is out of this world. It's way more impressive than Cyberpunk IMO.

Though from my findings we can see how the Deck is actually lacking in CPU performance and efficiency in this kind of games. If I lock framerate to 30FPS the GPU hardly ever goes over 1.2GHz (1.2 TFLOPs) whereas the CPU cores gladly clock over 3.2GHz to keep the framerate stable. Perhaps if it had 8 cores it would need lower clocks.
Here's hoping for the Deck's successor to have 8 Zen4 cores.

With the Deck's pixel density you could probably do Balanced or even Performance and lock the framerate to 40FPS.
Valve had a choice to opt for more cores but instead chose a GPU with more compute units. I believe that was the smarter choice. In most games, it's still GPU performance that is the limiting factor. An 8 core CPU would've left the GPU even weaker which would have more universal impact. Also Phawx did some testing that shows that more cores is probably not as efficient as less cores at higher clocks. Also if I recall, the SoC doesn't mind pushing for higher CPU clock speeds since it's less demanding on power than higher GPU clocks. How does the GPU behave when you unlock the frame rate? I would guess that's a better estimate on where the game chokes.

Chukhopops

Anyone else having issues with games being confused between Steam Controller profile and standard game pad profile?

I’m playing Beyond: Two souls and there’s an official steam controller profile and a PS4 controller profile. Except the game struggles with it and shows you Steam controller prompts and asks you to use the trackpad even if you’re using the PS4 one, and if you use the Steam one the trackpad doesn’t even work.

Is there a way to disable the Steam controller functionalities at a game level? Or do I have to build a profile from scratch?

i have a question i installed windows 10 would i be able to update the amd drivers to the latest version or is that the only driver we have available from steams website at the moment

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Valve had a choice to opt for more cores but instead chose a GPU with more compute units. I believe that was the smarter choice. In most games, it's still GPU performance that is the limiting factor. An 8 core CPU would've left the GPU even weaker which would have more universal impact. Also Phawx did some testing that shows that more cores is probably not as efficient as less cores at higher clocks. Also if I recall, the SoC doesn't mind pushing for higher CPU clock speeds since it's less demanding on power than higher GPU clocks. How does the GPU behave when you unlock the frame rate? I would guess that's a better estimate on where the game chokes.

Valve didn't choose the CPU cores nor the GPU size. Van Gogh had been in AMD's leaked roadmaps since 2019 IIRC, and it was originally developed with Microsoft to go into a mobile device that Panos Panay apparently cancelled back in late 2020 / early 2021.
That's also why the chip has a bunch of I/Os and a dedicated "Computer Vision & Machine Learning" hardware block (probably for low-power face unlock) that the Deck will probably never use.
It uses Zen2 because it was supposed to release in a device in early 2021, and Zen2 has a 4-core CCX (like the consoles and all Ryzen 3000 models).

The tests that The Phawx made compared a much larger and more power-restricted Rembrandt to Van Gogh that was made for 9W originally, and for gaming the former is bandwidth-limited anyways (similar bandwidth for twice the number of CPU cores).

Ozriel

M$FT
PowerTools is extremely helpful for boosting and ironing out frame rate issues with Yuzu. Brings Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Link's Awakening from nearly unplayable to 60fps with occasional drops even at 1280x800. Just turn off SMT, and lock CPU and GPU to high frequencies and it pretty much irons out the issues.

Before:
0NhFzd7.jpg

After:
NdwGBym.jpg

Before:
cVsPcZ2.jpg

After:
FiQ49MD.jpg

Nice!
Doesn't that significantly dent the battery life?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nice!
Doesn't that significantly dent the battery life?
It makes sense that it drops battery life, since in one scenario it's running 30-50fps and in the other it's running 60fps with only occasional drops. I think in Super Mario Odyssey on Deck, shooting for 1280x800@60fps, that 2h30m is very doable. This scene is really heavy compared to other parts of the game, so there's a possibility that battery life could be higher.

-SMT 'On' and locking the CPU to 3.5GHz you get a 30.6% increase in frame rate over SMT 'On' without limits.
-SMT 'Off' and locking the CPU to 3.5GHz you get a 55.6% increase in frame rate over SMT 'On' without limits.
-SMT 'Off', CPU 3.5GHz + increasing the GPU to 1100MHz 'Minimum' gets you another 7.1% to get from 56fps to 60fps.

*1200x800, 100% Brightness, Wi-Fi On, Volume 50%
SMT 'On' - No limits - 9.2W | 4h58m
okn4kDm.jpg

SMT 'On' - CPU@3.5GHz - 15.5W | 2h53m
vXiaVsz.jpg

SMT 'Off' - CPU@3.5GHz - 17W | 2h37m
HIYgd6m.jpg

SMT 'Off' - CPU@3.5GHz - GPU@1100MHz-1600MHz - 18W | 2h24m
jYuPVPX.jpg

SMT 'Off' - CPU@3.3GHz - GPU@1200-1600MHz - 16.3W | 2h40m
6wx7gZG.jpg
Switch battery life comparison for Super Mario Odyssey...
Jgiv62y.jpg

Deck is pretty close to Switch V1 in battery life while running slightly higher res. Obviously it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since Deck is emulating Switch, not just running the game natively. Holy shit at that V2 battery life, though.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
ooof. I decided. Deck is amazing but I don't use my 256gb almost at all.
I've cancelled the 64gb I've had for nephew and will give him my 256gb for christmas.
He doesn't know about it or that I have it, so it's fine.
I've told my sister that she needs to pay the rest though. I am giving 250$. Seems fair enough? you know.... I organized it all, came up with the idea and so on :p
Well it’s less of a gift now and more of a fund recoup scam to a small extent.

At least the kid gets the better screen and whatever else they decided to oddly tier up in this sku.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well it’s less of a gift now and more of a fund recoup scam to a small extent.

At least the kid gets the better screen and whatever else they decided to oddly tier up in this sku.
I would get him one anyway... he will just get mine and I am pitching in most of it's cost.
And parents agreed

Tunned

Vibrant... Deck? Say what? Do I need it in my life?
Vibrant Deck lets you mess with the Steam Deck's display, you can adjust its contrast and even touch RGB colours individually to get it the way you like. The Deck's display is quite lacking in contrast out the box, "Vibrant Deck" fixes that problem.
Te best way to set it up is if you have EmuDeck 2.0 installed, it's an extra install within EmuDeck's launcher, along with PowerTools (which are essential for emulation).

Filben

Vibrant... Deck? Say what? Do I need it in my life?

Vibrant Deck lets you mess with the Steam Deck's display, you can adjust its contrast and even touch RGB colours individually to get it the way you like. The Deck's display is quite lacking in contrast out the box, "Vibrant Deck" fixes that problem.
Te best way to set it up is if you have EmuDeck 2.0 installed, it's an extra install within EmuDeck's launcher, along with PowerTools (which are essential for emulation).
I want to add it's no magic, though. The Deck's has no low contrast per se, it has poor colour gamut as it only covers roughly 70% of sRGB while most modern monitors handle >95 <99%, some models offer something like 125% which result in a oversaturated but a 'poppy' image. The Deck's display is simply lacking some shades, especially with green tones. No setting can add something the display is physically lacking.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked that game. I don't care what anybody says. I bet it will run pretty nicely.

It looks amazing on this small screen, yes. Didn't tune it at all, default settings. It's only running between about 30-35 fps though. Which is odd, because though the game has some really remarkable backdrops throughout, it doesn't feel like a demanding game. Ah well, just happy to be able to play this since my old PS3 slim died ages ago.

Edit: I forgot this launched wee

MikGyH7.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today, we're going over a new script, performance boosts, and even extending the life of your SSD and MicroSD! I've also included some results for those who haven't seen my Deep Dives, and some tips to help you get better performance in your favorite games! 😄

Swap confirmation commands:
ls -lash /home/swapfile
swapon -s

00:00 - The Hook
00:27 - Things to Know
01:16 - Swap Fix Results
01:45 - Swap Explanation
06:31 - Swappiness Explanation
08:11 - TRIM Explanation
10:44 - TRIM Reasoning
11:50 - CryoUtilities Intro
12:23 - CryoUtilities Functionality and Improvements