• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Apparently there was a football game yesterday.
cpfcFlK9955r3cL59HvC8ED5JKCaW2cgiCppa3w1m14.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Boasting 25 stunning games, Killer Bundle 25 features a host of legendary games and franchises to grace any Steam game library.

Grab the amazing FPS dinosaur hunting Turok titles, the epic Baldur’s Gate D&D RPG classics, as well as outer space survival Breathedge and the bold and beautiful beat ‘em up River City Girls. Plus there’s the explosive tactical action of Police Stories, futuristic strategy in Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, embark on a life survival sim with CHANGE: A Homeless Survival Experience, and battle against the odds in the darker open world survival of DESOLATE.

Killer 25 also features new-to-bundle games, including the iconic DOOM 64, beautiful platform adventure Arise: A Simple Story, survival city builder Patron, fast-paced violent shooter The Hong Kong Massacre, and the genre-bending Lair of the Clockwork God.

And much more. Get your Killer Bundle 25 now and discover worlds of PC gaming entertainment. Lovingly brought to you by Fanatical.

This bundle also includes 12 games rated Steam Deck Verified for your portable handheld PC gaming system.

All games in Killer Bundle 25 are supplied as official Steam keys. Grab yours now, while stocks last.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Apparently there was a football game yesterday.
cpfcFlK9955r3cL59HvC8ED5JKCaW2cgiCppa3w1m14.jpg
Someone’s butt is in the way of the shot.

Just found out Wo Long isn’t supported day 1 on deck. Developer just said unsupported. Does it even matter? I have a reservation for console, but still. I would have liked to have had a good idea of how well/if it was going to be supported. Dead Space got verified. I’m planning on playing Wo Long, RE4R, and Jedi Surivor on console. However, a part of me wants to know how the Deck version will turn out. If I had to guess, I bet RE4R could easily get Deck Verified.

Will Steam Deck be supported?​

It is Steam Deck unsupported.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Someone’s butt is in the way of the shot.

Just found out Wo Long isn’t supported day 1 on deck. Developer just said unsupported. Does it even matter? I have a reservation for console, but still. I would have liked to have had a good idea of how well/if it was going to be supported. Dead Space got verified. I’m planning on playing Wo Long, RE4R, and Jedi Surivor on console. However, a part of me wants to know how the Deck version will turn out. If I had to guess, I bet RE4R could easily get Deck Verified.

Keep an eye on the ProtonDB page when it launches for user feedback. Just because a dev doesn't spend time 'supporting' linux, doesn't mean that the proton layer can't make up for it. Hopefully this will be the case for Wo Long.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Another Steam Deck bundle at Fanatical.

About this Promotion​

Build your own bespoke bundle from our new selection of awesome Steam games!
Every game is Steam Deck Verified, meaning it will run flawlessly on your shiny Valve handheld powerhouse (and on your laptop or gaming PC too).
Simply buy 3 (or more) games from our super selection above, and you’ll instantly receive your official keys to redeem on Steam. Enjoy!

Forza Horizon 4 really doesn't want to work in the Steam Deck right? Or am I doing something wrong?
Tried multiple proton versions, tried different resolution from native to lower + fsr upscale, tried graphics from low to high, tried limit fps. Nothing works, constant freezes while loading/saving.

What other good driving games do you guys recommend on the deck?
The devs gave up on that game by looks of things. Don't think they can be fucked to make sure it runs on the deck because it doesn't run that well to begin with sadly. I just uninstalled the game and moved on.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I was messing around in my Deck and got a prompt on a store page that gave recommended Deck verified games in my library based on recent games I’ve played. Turns out I own Little Nightmares. That will probably be my next game.

I’m bummed because now I can’t find that page again.

GHG

Finally became available via official channels here, got the 256GB version coming tomorrow. Ordered a 512GB SD card as well so should be enough to get started I hope.

Any tips on what I should do first?

Also is there an official/unofficial list for all the games that run on it? My steam library is over 1000 games strong, going to be a struggle to decide what to try first but think I'll stick to indies considering how strong my primary desktop is.

I just hope it's comfortable to hold. Found the Vita very uncomfortable back in the day and that led to me using it less than I'd like.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finally became available via official channels here, got the 256GB version coming tomorrow. Ordered a 512GB SD card as well so should be enough to get started I hope.
Nice! Welcome mate.

Sure, check this out.

Some games might not run by default but they might do when using Proton GE. Asidd from that, you can also install Boxtron and Luxtorpeda by following the same exact steps.

Don't worry if this things sound comolicated, they are just compatibility layers that sre very easy to use.

Also is there an official/unofficial list for all the games that run on it? My steam library is over 1000 games strong, going to be a struggle to decide what to try first but think I'll stick to indies considering how strong my primary desktop is.
Yeah sure. Check out ProtonDB, search any game you might be interested to play on the Deck and see what people say about it. That site is a must for any Deck owner.

I just hope it's comfortable to hold. Found the Vita very uncomfortable back in the day and that led to me using it less than I'd like.
I have a Switch, a Vita, a 3DS and a Deck, the later being the most comfortble to use.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thanks TintoConCasera TintoConCasera . Appreciate it.
Ah, don't worry! There's some more stuff, like Emudeck if you are into emulation, the Heroic Launcher to install games from GOG or Epic, Powertools if you want to customize cores usage and stuff like that and probably more things that I don't know about lol.

Those are better explained by any youtube video than whatever I could post here, so just look those things up but only if you really want to, since they aren't essential imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Ah, don't worry! There's some more stuff, like Emudeck if you are into emulation, the Heroic Launcher to install games from GOG or Epic, Powertools if you want to customize cores usage and stuff like that and probably more things that I don't know about lol.

Those are better explained by any youtube video than whatever I could post here, so just look those things up but only if you really want to, since they aren't essential imo.

Yeh I've got youtube on in the background going over various topics related to customising the deck. Absolutely insane amount of options/customisation.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

There is a section in your library on Deck that shows which ones play ‘great’.

It’s the most comfortable handheld for me. Vita, PSP, DS, 3DS all give me hand cramps.

As far as what to do, just pick a few games to play. If you like retro games, boot up Retroarch.

Protondb is your friend. Best place to get feedback on game viability.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Congrats! Deck is extremely comfortable to hold, so no worries on that end of things.

DeckyLoader is one of the first things I'd install on the Deck aside from games. Just go into Desktop Mode, open a browser(iirc Firefox comes default), and download it from that link. You can either set a password for your Deck using Konsole, or just let DeckyLoader set a temp password and install the latest stable release. Then you just go back to Gaming Mode. Hit the "..." performance menu button and down at the bottom there's a plug icon. That's DeckyLoader. Select it and there's a store/market icon to the right of the title "Decky". In there you'll find all sorts of useful tools you can download like PowerTools(precision CPU and GPU tweaking. Essential for Switch emu), CSS Loader(customize your Deck menu in all sorts of cool ways), boot Animation Changer(gives you easy access to all those custom boot sequences you see on reddit), VibrantDeck(change color, gamma, and saturation settings), ProtonDB Badges, SteamGridDB, etc. So much cool shit in one place. *Note* If you ever have an issue with Decky not loading, first reset, if that doesn't work just run the executable you downloaded in Desktop Mode and it will reload with all you apps and settings restored.

From the Desktop you can also go to the Discovery software center on the bottom left of the taskbar and search for Discord. Install it, then open Steam and add it as a non-steam game. Then add it to favorites. You can either download the artwork from a browser and apply it in Steam, or Decky should have an artwork manager. From Gaming Mode you can just launch Discord, then hit the "Steam" button on the Deck and go back to your library to select a game. It will run both at the same time. Deck has 2 mics on the front above the screen and really awesome audio quality.

Aside from that, there's stuff like EmuDeck which is a rabbit hole of it's own if you're into that sort of thing. I do PS2, WiiU, and Switch on Deck. I have 2DSXL and Anbernic RG280V for lesser emu.

SCB3

A shame as it was something I was interested in on Deck over console (MH: Rise on Switch is a fantastic portable game)

Anyway, I am getting conflicting reports on this but how are Black Mesa and the Half Life Games (or Source Engine games in general) on Deck? I wanna replay them soon and being on here is a advantage to me when I get one

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
A shame as it was something I was interested in on Deck over console (MH: Rise on Switch is a fantastic portable game)

Anyway, I am getting conflicting reports on this but how are Black Mesa and the Half Life Games (or Source Engine games in general) on Deck? I wanna replay them soon and being on here is a advantage to me when I get one
Always check Protondb when you want to know about compatibility. It gives you a rating indication as well as user reports.

HL1 (both OG & source) are rated Gold. The rest are platinum.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got it yesterday, havent been able to put it down. Been a long time since I've been this impressed with a piece of hardware.

eWHkUU1.jpg

I'm in love.
Yep. I've had mine second the 2nd round of wave 2 and I've played it nearly every day. I've taken it on every trip I've had since then. For me, it is a dream device. Having my 1k+ Steam library plus roms on the go is amazing. I would play my WiiU in tablet mode while on the couch back in the day. I've wanted something like the Deck ever since.

SCB3

Got it yesterday, havent been able to put it down. Been a long time since I've been this impressed with a piece of hardware.

eWHkUU1.jpg

I'm in love.
That is one of my top games to play on Deck, Vampire Survivors and Rogue Legacy 2 being the others (I've 116%'ed Hollow Knight twice so not doing that again lol) getting mine next week or so

TintoConCasera

eWHkUU1.jpg

I'm in love.
Glad you are enjoying it man. How's Zomboid on the Deck?

Sleepwalker

eWHkUU1.jpg

I'm in love.
Welcome friend, enjoy your stay.

If you havent, install deckyloader and within decky go and install "protondb" and "vibrantdeck" plugins.

The protondb plugin scrapes the protondb website and gives badges to games depending on how they play (platinum, gold, silver, etc) these are way more reliable and up to date than valve's verified tag.

Vibrantdeck allows you to control screen saturation, personally i found the screen a little dull but with saturation around 130-150 it looks really good. Not OLED levels but enough to satisfy me.

Emulation is also incredible if youre into that.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’m already wanting a steam deck 2 the last AAA games on that thing are rough!
I caved out of curiosity and bought Returnal to try out on Deck. Even at below low settings and 25% resolution it still doesn’t hit an acceptable frame rate. It would take some specific attention from the devs to hit a more stable 30fps. Which is kind of weird since it’s not really a looker compared to other Sony titles that run fine on Deck.

Anyway, I’m right there with you wanting a Deck 2 for early next year.

Vibrantdeck allows you to control screen saturation, personally i found the screen a little dull but with saturation around 130-150 it looks really good. Not OLED levels but enough to satisfy me.

Thanks for recommending this! I had Decky installed already and was using a few other plugins for custom artwork, music/SFX, and boot videos. I overlooked Vibrantdeck, but after trying it out today, I enjoy how much better the colors look on my screen!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My top right trigger is sticking. Was fighting the Deacons of the Deep when my R1 felt like it was hitting a flat surface. I don’t want to risk opening it, so I created a ticket with Valve. I’m hoping to use my warranty on this. It’s sucks. My L1 is perfect, but my R1 feels like I’ve been mashing it on it years.

Update: Valve is sending me a return label. They’ll look at it. It’s great that they’ll fix it. It will suck being without a Deck for a while.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
[/URL]

Boasting 25 stunning games, Killer Bundle 25 features a host of legendary games and franchises to grace any Steam game library.

Grab the amazing FPS dinosaur hunting Turok titles, the epic Baldur’s Gate D&D RPG classics, as well as outer space survival Breathedge and the bold and beautiful beat ‘em up River City Girls. Plus there’s the explosive tactical action of Police Stories, futuristic strategy in Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, embark on a life survival sim with CHANGE: A Homeless Survival Experience, and battle against the odds in the darker open world survival of DESOLATE.

Killer 25 also features new-to-bundle games, including the iconic DOOM 64, beautiful platform adventure Arise: A Simple Story, survival city builder Patron, fast-paced violent shooter The Hong Kong Massacre, and the genre-bending Lair of the Clockwork God.

And much more. Get your Killer Bundle 25 now and discover worlds of PC gaming entertainment. Lovingly brought to you by Fanatical.

This bundle also includes 12 games rated Steam Deck Verified for your portable handheld PC gaming system.

All games in Killer Bundle 25 are supplied as official Steam keys. Grab yours now, while stocks last.
That's a solid ass bundle. I already own most of it though 😆

I haven't used my deck in a few weeks. It's calling to me though. What y'all been playing lately that shines on it?

Kupfer

Does anyone know if the Steam Deck was a sales numbers success for Valve?
They shipped over a million units 4 months ago.
Source

Also :
The Steam Deck has sat in the top 5 of the top sellers list (SteamDB) for something around 40 weeks, and the majority of that time has been at number 1 or number 2 when a few super hits came along to knock it down like Elden Ring or Modern Warfare 2 but it's quite rare to see it knocked down to the number 2 spot even a year later. The Steam Deck has some very clear staying power. It has only just launched in a few select regions of Asia too, so it should continue to sell quite well for some time.
Source

I don't have any further numbers and also no idea at what point such a device is considered a success, but it sounds quite impressive to me for the fact that this is a niche device and not in the retail store.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Tunic, man. So good on Deck.
I need to get this still. Kinda waiting on a sale at this point since I've already waited so long. I played the demo forever ago and knew it would be my kind of game. I've stayed blind on any spoilers, as it sounds like there is something that makes the game special.

Kupfer

playing botw on mine, good shit.
I fiddled around with it the ohter week for some hours.

Do you mind sharing your settings?

For me, I

installed CEMU (latest windows version, forced it to use proton)
created a .wau
installed precached shaders
in CEMU, under mods, I use FPS++ with 40fps (for some headroom)
in CEMU, under graphics, I set it to 720p
set FPS cap in gamescope 30fps/60hz, because it won't run stable 40fps
in Plugins and Powertools, SMD is activated (8 cores), CPU is set to a clock of 2500 mhz, GPU is set to a clock of 1000mhz

this way I get ~3 1/2 hours of playtime, steady 30fps and the fan won't go wild.

It is defintaley playable and is fun, but I hoped for a more steady 40fps/40hz experience.
Tips and suggestions for improvement are welcome

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I fiddled around with it the ohter week for some hours.

Do you mind sharing your settings?

For me, I

installed CEMU (latest windows version, forced it to use proton)
created a .wau
installed precached shaders
in CEMU, under mods, I use FPS++ with 40fps (for some headroom)
in CEMU, under graphics, I set it to 720p
set FPS cap in gamescope 30fps/60hz, because it won't run stable 40fps
in Plugins and Powertools, SMD is activated (8 cores), CPU is set to a clock of 2500 mhz, GPU is set to a clock of 1000mhz

this way I get ~3 1/2 hours of playtime, steady 30fps and the fan won't go wild.

It is defintaley playable and is fun, but I hoped for a more steady 40fps/40hz experience.
Tips and suggestions for improvement are welcome

GHG

Glad you are enjoying it man. How's Zomboid on the Deck?

I'm in that phase where I'm trying a bunch of games for an hour at a time to see how they run but project zomboid runs very well and the control scheme on the deck is excellent.

Despite knowing what to expect I'm very impressed with it's capability, the lower resolution screen obviously helps (and I wouldn't dream of hooking this thing up to a larger screen) but there are so many games that run at a solid 60fps with high/max settings and if that fails the 40hz mode is a godsend. Scarlet Nexus runs at a rock solid 40fps maxed out, the yakuza games all run at 60fps maxed. Bonus points for it being able to just run games that have compatability issues on Windows (eg. legacy of kain soul reaver). Very very capable machine.

Got Monday off so will be fiddling around with it a lot more. Think I'll take some time to get some emulators set up.

One thing that I've only noticed in a pitch black room is that I have a bit of light bleed on the uppermost corners of the screen, is this normal? I take it is since its an IPS panel, just not something I've been used to seeing for a while since I've gamed exclusively on OLEDs for a while now.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I'm in that phase where I'm trying a bunch of games for an hour at a time to see how they run but project zomboid runs very well and the control scheme on the deck is excellent.

Despite knowing what to expect I'm very impressed with it's capability, the lower resolution screen obviously helps (and I wouldn't dream of hooking this thing up to a larger screen) but there are so many games that run at a solid 60fps with high/max settings and if that fails the 40hz mode is a godsend. Scarlet Nexus runs at a rock solid 40fps maxed out, the yakuza games all run at 60fps maxed. Bonus points for it being able to just run games that have compatability issues on Windows (eg. legacy of kain soul reaver). Very very capable machine.

Got Monday off so will be fiddling around with it a lot more. Think I'll take some time to get some emulators set up.

One thing that I've only noticed in a pitch black room is that I have a bit of light bleed on the uppermost corners of the screen, is this normal? I take it is since its an IPS panel, just not something I've been used to seeing for a while since I've gamed exclusively on OLEDs for a while now.

Yea IPS screens always have lightbleeding, yet to find one that doesn't.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I need to get this still. Kinda waiting on a sale at this point since I've already waited so long. I played the demo forever ago and knew it would be my kind of game. I've stayed blind on any spoilers, as it sounds like there is something that makes the game special.
You're old enough to remember physical, illustrated, game manuals. Some were cheap, some were basically love letters to the game itself. Tunic is the latter. And its got a lot of surprises for you.

calistan

Why is sleep mode such a power drain? If I haven't used the Deck in a few days I can almost guarantee it will be completely drained the next time I pick it up.

On Feb 16th I bought the puzzle game A Little To The Left, played about half an hour on a fully charged Deck, thought it was no good (controls are terrible) and switched it off. Picked it up again on the 19th for one last try before I request a refund, and the Deck was, predicatably, dead. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of exactly what has been using power since the last charge, like iOS has.

TintoConCasera

Today I tried out the game I'm developing with Game Maker on the Deck. Thought I had to lose half the afternoon with that but nah, it was as easy as to generate a WIndows .exe file and add it as an external game on Steam, and Proton took care of the rest. Cool stuff.

I dropped my deck off at the postal carrier today. I hope nothing happens to it. I packed in some extra bubble wrap just in case.
Sending good vibes to your package's safety. 🙌

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I picked it up. About 100 mins in. I'm going to stay entirely ignorant for the rest of my playthrough but I will follow up once I roll credits.
Yeah I am so happy I went in with zero knowledge of anything. Brought back memories of my first run through Dark Souls in a way. Like ... "what is this game?" Definitely stay blind and I hope you have as much fun as I did.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Deck Wizard did an Atomic Heart video. This game runs really well on Deck. Watching the Custom Settings during a heavy fight scene it looked like it could nearly do 40fps+, with only an occasional drop in the high 30s. In general exploration it seems to hit 50-60fps outdoors, and ~60fps indoors. There's glitch on the human skin material that he shows a fix for at 7:30.

I'm running GP PC version on Win10. I played about an hour on settings that I could get 30fps+. FSR2 gives you a much improved frame rate, but it muddied the reflections in the water during the opening sequence so I tried going with medium-TAA instead. Outside of the water sequence FSR2 is fine with just a little extra sharpening. Not as clear, but still playable and would allow for 40-60fps the majority of the time. A screen from early in the game...
Atomic-Heart-Windows-2-20-2023-10-55-13-PM.png

This is a breath of fresh air compared to crappy performance Returnal had on Deck. They both run UE4 so it's just a lack of optimization I'd guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom