• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know I am biased, but that game is worth the $20. I'm at just under 17 hours on the Early Access version. That's basically everything besides the never-ending optional quests in chapter 3. I know from the plot points that the next stuff will be in a brand new area. I also know from the fish farm section, it's about 1/3 of the plots so I think the game will expand pretty heavily when it releases later this year. Maybe not by 2/3rds but I can definitely see the game continuing on with substance in content.

Given that timing, I'm not sure if the devs will put it on sale or not. Either way, I would definitely recommend picking it up. The gameplay loop starts off simple, buts ramps up and diversifies with each new chapter. It's incredibly enjoyable and I am doubtful that a better indie title will release this year. The humor is on point. Dave the Diver will most likely be my indie GOTY.

Edit: Watching the dev update video and they are targeting June 2023 as full release.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sue-duu? I always thought it was pronounced sue-dough.
This guy is just a nonce. It's sue-dough (ryhmes with judo).

Technically "sue-duu" should be the correct pronunciation, since it's a command that means "do this as the super user (su)". But, it's not. Maybe it's a day-ta / da-ta scenario though. I've worked in IT for over 25 years (many of those as a Linux admin) and I've never heard it said as su-duu before by a professional.

CrossCode, AstLibra, Necesse, Ex Zodiac, Psilocibil, World of Horror

maybe dark souls remastered too, so I can get it running on deck (if from actually has gotten off their asses and fixed the game, not sure yet)

calistan

This guy is just a nonce. It's sue-dough (ryhmes with judo).

Technically "sue-duu" should be the correct pronunciation, since it's a command that means "do this as the super user (su)". But, it's not. Maybe it's a day-ta / da-ta scenario though. I've worked in IT for over 25 years (many of those as a Linux admin) and I've never heard it said as su-duu before by a professional.
What's your professional opinion on gif?

Jrecard

Hoping for nice discounts on Brotato (it's only $5, I'll probably buy it anyway even if it's not discounted), Star Ocean The Divine Force, Last Epoch (just got multiplayer), maybe Forspoken if it's cheap enough.

I might triple-dip on Hades, just to make it easier to play on the Deck. I have it on Xbox and Switch already, but I'd like to do a third playthrough before the sequel comes out and the Deck looks like it runs the game nicely.

Would also like to check out that Dave the Diver game that Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage keeps going on about.

Finally, I'll probably pick up a few things I'm either forgetting to mention here, or stuff that catches my eye on an insane discount.

Heavily recommend Brotato, but I haven't played the other survivor games to compare it against. 36 hours and I've just beaten a Danger 5 run after playing with different builds and characters. Still have a fair bit of stuff to unlock with different stat challenges and character wins. Got it as a quick pick up and put down game due to the short play loop, but I keep finding myself saying "just one more run"and shunning the rest of the library :messenger_grinning_sweat:

drotahorror

2yEpPod.jpg
Let’s goooo

kubricks

Just complete Sekiro on the Steam deck, what a ride! Finally killing Isshin the Sword Saint felt absolutely exhilarating!
Now I am thinking of either Dark Souls 3 or Elden Ring, which one gives the best experience on the Steam deck? How well do they run? Can I expect 40fps+ at medium sort of setting?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just complete Sekiro on the Steam deck, what a ride! Finally killing Isshin the Sword Saint felt absolutely exhilarating!
Now I am thinking of either Dark Souls 3 or Elden Ring, which one gives the best experience on the Steam deck? How well do they run? Can I expect 40fps+ at medium sort of setting?
DS3 runs better than ER but both are playable. ER expect between 30-50 fps on default settings. DS3 was between 40-60 for me. Both were on default settings throughout and vanilla DeckOS w/ no added scripts or software.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

So I'm contemplating on jumping on a huge open-world, and might buy one on this upcoming sale but with my super limited time, I can only play for a few hrs/week so hopefully it's a worthwhile experience.
Which one plays best on Deck between these: Just Cause 3 (never played) , RDR2 (finished once on PS4 when it released, but am willing to have another go), Days Gone (never played), Gta V (finished on ps3 and ps4 but it's been awhile and am also a big Gta fan)

JCK75

Pixel Deck is my favorite source for the absolute best mix of settings to get the most of out games.. they are a facebook group but are just starting to do youtube videos.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm contemplating on jumping on a huge open-world, and might buy one on this upcoming sale but with my super limited time, I can only play for a few hrs/week so hopefully it's a worthwhile experience.
Which one plays best on Deck between these: Just Cause 3 (never played) , RDR2 (finished once on PS4 when it released, but am willing to have another go), Days Gone (never played), Gta V (finished on ps3 and ps4 but it's been awhile and am also a big Gta fan)
Personally, I'd recommend Just Cause 3 for a couple of reasons:

1) The game is relatively short for an open world game (20ish hours to finish)
2) It's a bit older, and should run just fine on the Deck (there will certainly be fewer compromises than with RDR2 or Days Gone, graphically)
3) The game is a lot of fun, personally my favorite Just Cause game

calistan

Personally, I'd recommend Just Cause 3 for a couple of reasons:

1) The game is relatively short for an open world game (20ish hours to finish)
2) It's a bit older, and should run just fine on the Deck (there will certainly be fewer compromises than with RDR2 or Days Gone, graphically)
3) The game is a lot of fun, personally my favorite Just Cause game
Top game. I might have to break it out for the Deck again, I forgot I had it on Steam.

I think I preferred Just Cause 2, though. I found 3 to be a bit sprawling and it was hard to locate the mission objectives, so I went off pretty early and liberated every island outside of the story. Took ages (43 hours, says Steam) but I freed them all and went back to the story, which caused every base I'd previously destroyed to be reincarnated. Stopped playing after that, it was a major downer.

Jrecard

With another infamous steam sale coming up, does anybody else have a shortlist of stuff you want to pick up? My wishlist is long, but have narrowed it down to these few as long as the prices are right:

Dead Space 2 (playing through the og right now)
Bully
Slay the Spire
Cult of the Lamb

Maybe:
Persona 5R

Those along with my current backlog takes me through to the next seasonal sale and then some.

No Dead Space 2 discount :messenger_loudly_crying:
Grabbed Bully, Slay the Spire, and Cult and will keep an eye out for any other good deals.

TaroYamada

Same. Also there's another called Swirl, Sega references methinks..... And the star one shows the deck logo as Saturn too....

Maybe it's just the Sega fanboy in me but it's a bit on the nose!

Kupfer

Happy Birthday Steam Deck! What a year, after the release my day1 unit was defective and the second unit also had a defect, I finally had a working Deck 6 (or so) weeks after release and boy, do I have fun with it. It's not just about gaming, it's also about fiddling around and making things possible. Also the Deck has reduced the need to sit at the main computer and opened a new door for completely new games that would have remained closed to me otherwise. This month alone - Norco, Exo One, Vampire Survivors. Awesome, I'm still blown away-

Boot videos available for points
And for all those who have no more points for boot vidoes, there is also a free plugin with a huge selection of boot and suspend videos ;)
It's called "Animation Changer" and is available in the Decky Store.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Not on your list but you might also consider Protoype, plays great on Deck.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There are now a ton of clear shell options available for the Steam Deck at a decent price. In this video, we look at the new transparent clear shell kits from Jsaux.

The video explores the different options available for customizing the Steam Deck with transparent shells, showing off six different colors and discussing changes made to the shells such as the darker color of the metal plate. The speaker also delves into the importance of being able to switch out buttons while not disturbing the shell and also replacing the thermal pad with a transparent back shell. The speaker shares their opinions on the various colors and concludes by discussing their overall thoughts on the mod and its performance during testing. They recommend the mod for people without technical expertise but note that the back shell's edges are sharp and may cause discomfort to the fingers.

jshackles

Fanatical has a sale on Deck Verified games, a lot of them at or better than Steam's prices. There's an extra 5% coupon: STEAMDECK5 that might help someone save a bit over' Steam's own prices.

In for the hype. Ordered one and getting a shitload of games from the sale. It pays to be a late adopter it seems, never trusted Valve to stick with hardware but the deck took off and I wish them all the best in the coming sucessor.
Finally gonna play Yakuza 0, Persona 5 royal and revisit Deus Ex Human Rev/Mankind Divided.

Dr.Morris79

Steam customer support is getting right on my tits. I did the latest update which seems to have knocked out my SD card slot, no matter what brand of card I use or size NOTHING shows up on the system, the slot is utterly dead. I've explained this via pictures (including most of the SD cards tried) over two days..

I then get this -

doEZGHa.jpg

What The Fuck.

Kupfer

Steam customer support is getting right on my tits. I did the latest update which seems to have knocked out my SD card slot, no matter what brand of card I use or size NOTHING shows up on the system, the slot is utterly dead. I've explained this via pictures (including most of the SD cards tried) over two days..

I then get this -

doEZGHa.jpg

What The Fuck.
The support can be a pain sometimes. I also had problems returning my second defective device, but after a week of back and forth, it worked.
Stay polite and firm.
Do the cards work in other devices?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

So basically, i had a shit streak of bad luck the last couple of months. I have been in and out of hospitals and rehabilitation centers to sit in there to recover from broken bones and more. All with all no access towards my PC so i started using my steam deck entirely.

I must say, holy shit is it awesome.

I use it basically like a normal PC now and frankly i wonder why i even own a PC at this point anymore. I bought the deck just in time and it works great.

I got a few games installed on the deck, i play chat and do everything i do on my normal PC in the same manner.

I ditched big picture mode basically entirely and just use the deck entirely in desktop mode with steam os. It's just simple said amazing.

I run discord and talk to buddy's while playing games, hardly any impact on performance, i have chrome running on the background with music at 180p or the lowest possible resolution to remove as much strain from the hardware, barely notice a impact on performance, have whatsapp on to talk with people etc, and playing heroes of the storm with friends or they are billions and having libreoffice writing running on the background to write some stuff down once in a day, it all works so god dam smooth. Recently got some new games also but still gotta check them out, so much to do on it.

alt tabbing like a boss, not even a issue.

Steam deck is honestly the best investment i ever did. It makes you wonder as i play mostly heroes and they are billions, why i even still have a 500w eating monster PC, while this few watt device does everything perfectly fine and its entirely mobile.

I also noticed that when i played billions and heroes of the storm in the normal mode ( big picture mode i think it is ) both games have lag spikes and bad frame pacing, when i move to desktop mode its entirely smooth so performance is better and honestly performance is straight up brilliant. Make sure however in billions to put on fast timer in the settings for higher end CPU's, so the game becomes a lot more smoother and u always want to have it on anyway.

VFzwUkV.jpg
JqbsI1g.jpg
1M16xaF.jpg
zEbDFWN.jpg
G1gqspb.jpg
53y9c9c.jpg
Nt0lVU0.jpg
LLMpTWU.jpg
w7v6SVk.jpg
dcc0gql.jpg
qr2JsPl.jpg
s9n8489.jpg
YkQwC3K.jpg
oOW5mpM.jpg
KEJ31X9.jpg
dMkI0tv.jpg
yC7ubuj.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

The support can be a pain sometimes. I also had problems returning my second defective device, but after a week of back and forth, it worked.
Stay polite and firm.
Do the cards work in other devices?
Aye they do, and in my second Deck, zero problems. Another ironic thing is after a full system restore my 1tb card showed up on the system for a few minutes, with all games intact. Two minutes later total collapse. Now nothing shows up

The pic I sent had various brands of cards yet they want me to contact Sandisk.. bunch of jokers.

Yeah I'll be civil but my god :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just sent a basic reply to issue me a returns ticket, really cant be arsed to keep explaining the problem over and over. It's a shame, Valve have been the best customer service i'd dealt with over the years, they seem to have changed and employed people without basic reading comprehension.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So basically, i had a shit streak of bad luck the last couple of months. I have been in and out of hospitals and rehabilitation centers to sit in there to recover from broken bones and more. All with all no access towards my PC so i started using my steam deck entirely.

I must say, holy shit is it awesome.

I use it basically like a normal PC now and frankly i wonder why i even own a PC at this point anymore. I bought the deck just in time and it works great.

I got a few games installed on the deck, i play chat and do everything i do on my normal PC in the same manner.

I ditched big picture mode basically entirely and just use the deck entirely in desktop mode with steam os. It's just simple said amazing.

I run discord and talk to buddy's while playing games, hardly any impact on performance, i have chrome running on the background with music at 180p or the lowest possible resolution to remove as much strain from the hardware, barely notice a impact on performance, have whatsapp on to talk with people etc, and playing heroes of the storm with friends or they are billions and having libreoffice writing running on the background to write some stuff down once in a day, it all works so god dam smooth. Recently got some new games also but still gotta check them out, so much to do on it.

alt tabbing like a boss, not even a issue.

Steam deck is honestly the best investment i ever did. It makes you wonder as i play mostly heroes and they are billions, why i even still have a 500w eating monster PC, while this few watt device does everything perfectly fine and its entirely mobile.

I also noticed that when i played billions and heroes of the storm in the normal mode ( big picture mode i think it is ) both games have lag spikes and bad frame pacing, when i move to desktop mode its entirely smooth so performance is better and honestly performance is straight up brilliant. Make sure however in billions to put on fast timer in the settings for higher end CPU's, so the game becomes a lot more smoother and u always want to have it on anyway.

VFzwUkV.jpg
JqbsI1g.jpg
1M16xaF.jpg
zEbDFWN.jpg
G1gqspb.jpg
53y9c9c.jpg
Nt0lVU0.jpg
LLMpTWU.jpg
w7v6SVk.jpg
dcc0gql.jpg
qr2JsPl.jpg
s9n8489.jpg
YkQwC3K.jpg
oOW5mpM.jpg
KEJ31X9.jpg
dMkI0tv.jpg
yC7ubuj.jpg
Hope all is well. I love the versatility of the Deck and find myself in desktop mode fairly often. I plan to install SteamOS on my desktop whenever Valve releases their official distro.

Assaulty

I 've got an issue with my steam deck that I can't find anything about online, so I'll try it here.

I have upgraded my 64GB deck with a 1TB ssd and it has been great. There is one issue tho: Brotato started hitching like crazy. I've played 2 hours of Jedi: Fallen order, some shadow of the tomb raider and 2 hours of Halo: MCC: all play fine with 0 hitches. At first I thought it was because I hadn't whiped my SD card, so I reformatted that and installed Brotato on the SSD instead of the SD card. The same problem persists. It's always after wave 11 that it starts freezing and hitching and it gets worse throughout the rounds. It honestly feels like a memory leak within the game, but I can't find anything about that online. I've tried playing with Proton Experimental and Proton 7, but nothing changed. The GPU and CPU usage is the usual (doesn't go above like 20-30%) and the RAM usage is fine (never above 3gb).

I've been using the Cryobryte software. I have tried disabling that, but the problem doesn't go away, so I am kind of at a loss of what to do next..... Any ideas?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I 've got an issue with my steam deck that I can't find anything about online, so I'll try it here.

I have upgraded my 64GB deck with a 1TB ssd and it has been great. There is one issue tho: Brotato started hitching like crazy. I've played 2 hours of Jedi: Fallen order, some shadow of the tomb raider and 2 hours of Halo: MCC: all play fine with 0 hitches. At first I thought it was because I hadn't whiped my SD card, so I reformatted that and installed Brotato on the SSD instead of the SD card. The same problem persists. It's always after wave 11 that it starts freezing and hitching and it gets worse throughout the rounds. It honestly feels like a memory leak within the game, but I can't find anything about that online. I've tried playing with Proton Experimental and Proton 7, but nothing changed. The GPU and CPU usage is the usual (doesn't go above like 20-30%) and the RAM usage is fine (never above 3gb).

I've been using the Cryobryte software. I have tried disabling that, but the problem doesn't go away, so I am kind of at a loss of what to do next..... Any ideas?
I’d try delete proton files from the Brotato Steam settings wheel. If that doesn’t work try the beta channel, then try the stable channel. Otherwise, do a full reinstall and format your sd card. If it’s happening in just that game from both ssd and sd then it seems like corrupted shader cache or proton layer.

upgraded my storage today, noticed I have the delta fan, makes sense why it seems so damned loud when going full blast. Not arsed enough to get the other one, hoping we see some sort of noctua level fan upgrade in the future though

Top Bottom