• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Tunned

This thing, I can't put it down. Emulated games (PS2, PSP, GC, GBA) all look crisp and run like butter. I installed Project Cars 2 and I have to say that my dream of a sim racer on a handled has been fulfilled... What sorcery is this? Medium settings, MSAA on low, 32 car grid race with rain during the day, and the game almost consistently holds 60fps and looks amazing.
I loved my handhelds over the years, Game Gear, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, PSP, etc.. But the Deck, not only does it play all the above, it is in a league of its own.
Looking forward to traveling with this thing :messenger_smiling_hearts:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I believe I tried using just the 2 entries before and nothing happened. I'm having a worse issue now where none of the Game Pass games will launch, either from the Xbox App or from Steam using UWPHook. Popping a filesystem error on some titles. Steam games work fine, I was able to run 3DMark, etc. Are you running Win10, and are you able to play GP games?
I'm able to reproduce this by installing the new driver. If I roll it back to the old one, I can launch Game Pass games again. Surely, this is some sort of bug (maybe it's intentional on Valve's part?)

For the boot manager, you can try booting into something like GParted and running the same command. There might be an issue running it from the Steam OS desktop mode.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm able to reproduce this by installing the new driver. If I roll it back to the old one, I can launch Game Pass games again. Surely, this is some sort of bug (maybe it's intentional on Valve's part?)

For the boot manager, you can try booting into something like GParted and running the same command. There might be an issue running it from the Steam OS desktop mode.
So the APU graphics driver? I did use the newest one. I also remember that when I was installing Win10 Pro it gave a warning something to the effect of "your partition order is sub-optimal, read online about GPT partitions, blah, blah". What I ended up doing was installing Windows 11, and this time I created a boot USB drive using Rufus instead of the Windows tool. Now I'm able to play games that weren't working on Win10, with the exception of Halo Infinite so far. However, a bunch of other Game Pass games are working like Forza Horizon 4, Carrion, and Rubber Bandits. So it's all good.

I still need to learn how to change the boot order, but honestly, I'm fine with booting into Windows 11 and having to manually select SteamOS. Having GP PC on a handheld is fucking awesome. I used GParted and set ~300GB to Windows partition, leaving ~170GB for the SteamOS partition. I plan on using microSD for SteamOS, and just leaving the SD slot driver uninstall or disabled on Windows so it doesn't fuck with my games. 300GB isn't too bad for my GP PC habits, and there's always the option to stream if the kids want to do some MP in a random game.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Some FH5 on Windows 11 with the new audio drivers...

GP PC doesn't play nicely with other partitions/OS present. It will work initially, but once I go back to SteamOS and install some games then return to Windows, it won't launch the games from GP PC and gives a filesystem error. I'm guessing I'll have to try to put SteamOS on a SD card, but I have no clue how to do that.

chaseroni

So, hoping mine will arrive beginning of next week.

I'm thinking my first game will be a DS3 run through.

Followed by Fallout 4.
You should install the beta OS if it's not live by the time you get it.
Change the refresh rate to 45hz for DS3, it plays fuckin amazingly smooth that way.

Filben

Just reserved the 64gb/420EUR version and will trade/sell my 256GB version. I mostly play indie games and games on EmuDeck... right now I have 50 games installed and still 140gb in total of free space with internal 256gb and 128gb SD card combined.

130 EUR more for the 256gb version just isn't worth it and because I'm not gaming that much either on it I want it as cheap as possible. Hell, I would take a Deck with less performance and a smaller form factor for less money or have an OLED screen for the same money instead. In any case, it's totally overpowered for my gaming habits 😅 I play my stunning AAA games on my gaming PC or PS5 and OLED TV. Slightly more powerful Switch would suffice, I reckon.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
According to this article, iFixit had replacements parts in-stock at some point for Steam Deck. There's nothing on the page now, so it's either sold out or it was a premature listing. Fan was going for £19.99. I'd imagine these will be extremely hard to get since it seems a good deal of Decks have the bullshit defective whiney fan.

PhaseJump

Banned

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sold out. You missed it.
A guy on the Steam Deck community forum said that he was able to order and later contacted iFixit and they stated it was supposed to be a test listing, but that they'd still honor the purchase when they become available. Looks like it was a premature listing.

Dr.Morris79

This thing, I can't put it down. Emulated games (PS2, PSP, GC, GBA) all look crisp and run like butter. I installed Project Cars 2 and I have to say that my dream of a sim racer on a handled has been fulfilled... What sorcery is this? Medium settings, MSAA on low, 32 car grid race with rain during the day, and the game almost consistently holds 60fps and looks amazing.
I loved my handhelds over the years, Game Gear, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, PSP, etc.. But the Deck, not only does it play all the above, it is in a league of its own.
Looking forward to traveling with this thing :messenger_smiling_hearts:

*Checks my pre order page*

FFS!

zzmcqK2.gif

Dr.Morris79

I feel your pain man, I was in line to get mine in Q4, but once I saw one pop up close to me for a fair price, I jumped on it and could not be happier.
It's been a hard wait after reading these comments, i'll say that. I just checked Ebay after your comment in the hope I could grab one quicker... those prices are crazy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

..If the wife didnt book a bloody holiday though I probably would have grabbed one :messenger_confused:

I just need one!

Tunned

It's been a hard wait after reading these comments, i'll say that. I just checked Ebay after your comment in the hope I could grab one quicker... those prices are crazy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

..If the wife didnt book a bloody holiday though I probably would have grabbed one :messenger_confused:

I just need one!
If you find one on Ebay for a fair price, buy it and take it on holiday :messenger_winking:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Random guy on a Steam Deck discord group helped me out with the problem I had with GP PC games on Windows not loading. It was the time being de-synced after switch back and forth from SteamOS. Just had to toggle the sync time and date option in settings. So thankful, that shit was driving me crazy.

I ended up formatting and allocating 400GB to the Windows 10 partition and ~70GB to SteamOS since I’m using a microSD card for SteamOS. I left the SD slot driver uninstalled on Windows so it doesn’t fuck with it.

Made a quick video of FH4 on Win10. Runs great. At medium settings, 2xMSAA it ended up with 79fps average in the benchmark.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Seems a recent update borked the the controls on a lot of games (desk job/titianfall 2), not all of them but be warned.

chixdiggit

Well looks like I have a bit to wait yet. My time when I reserved does not match my rt time unfortunately. In my purchase log it says I made purchase 18 minutes after pre-order open. Must not have actually gone through till almost 30 minutes later.

HEkQcJl.jpg

Hi! It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 37 minutes, 34 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 8 minutes, 56 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 76.22% of the way there.

Ultradsa

Seems a recent update borked the the controls on a lot of games (desk job/titianfall 2), not all of them but be warned.
I have a weird issue with Portal 2 where if I go into the control settings, I get a black page with nothing to click on. I have tried everything there is to try but a factory reset. I can get into the control settings page for games I don't have installed but not Portal 2. I wonder if this is related or there's some bug. If anyone has Portal 2 installed can you get into the control settings, as in actually change the controls like gyro behavior? Anyone have any suggestions because this is bugging the shit out of me, I want to play this again on my Deck but I need the stick motion acceleration increased. lol

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I had this happen with DOOM Eternal and every Lego game, but no other games. I talked to Steam Support and they told me this...
We have some steps for you to try to attempt to address the issue remotely and rule out a problem with the unit itself.

Before beginning troubleshooting, please ensure that you've ejected the microSD card if present and disconnected all external devices aside from the provided power supply.

Please check for available system updates.

Disconnect all external devices/connectors from the device and make sure you can still produce the issue. If so, please try putting the unit into shipping mode:
  • Power the Steam Deck down normally (choose Shut Down from the Power menu).
  • Hold down the Volume+ button and press the power button. The Steam Deck should boot into the BIOS menu.
  • Using the D-Pad and A to select, navigate to "Setup Utility".
  • Navigate to the Power Menu.
  • Choose Battery storage mode, and confirm.
You should see the Steam Deck power off, and the power LED will blink three times to confirm battery storage mode.

Wait a few minutes, then plug the Steam Deck in to the provided power supply and turn on the Steam Deck.

Check for available system updates

If this doesn't resolve the issue try to re-image the device using the instructions available here: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3.
This didn't do anything for me, and I didn't think it would since the controls worked in most games. I ended up troubleshooting and got it working by enabling Developer Mode, going into DOOM Eternal Options->Developer->Delete Proton Files. Then I went to Options->Properties->Compatibility and selected 'Proton Experimental'.

This got the controls working for the Lego games as well. The problem seems to be the Proton Compatibility files. I ended up re-imaging the Deck a bunch of times as part of the dual-boot process, and this time I copied the Proton Compatibility files from the Steam->Common folder and put them in a compress file for the next time it happens in order to see if just replacing those files is a fix.
---
On a different note, iFixit listings for replacement parts went live sometime between 3:30am and 9:00am(PST). Fans are listed as sold out, along with screens. My guess is that they didn't have much stock and they were just fulfilling the early orders. It's a shame to have to play the same bullshit game as with GPUs and consoles like PS5, just to get a functional fan for a $650 unit. I take back that shit I said about Valve being "the best". This fan situation is hell.

SCB3

Due to having a Wedding in September, I'll have to wait on grabbing one, however I do have a question, if you have a mouse heavy game like Crusader Kings 3 or Stellaris, can you force it to use controller methods like the Console versions use? Or is the Touch screen good enough?

RobRSG

Two days ago I had to format my Steam Deck. For whatever reason, the right touchpad started to create sticky notes with the last thing I copied in the OS mode and then could not click stuff anymore without press and holding the Steam button.

Didn’t find a fix online, got annoyed and nuked it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Due to having a Wedding in September, I'll have to wait on grabbing one, however I do have a question, if you have a mouse heavy game like Crusader Kings 3 or Stellaris, can you force it to use controller methods like the Console versions use? Or is the Touch screen good enough?
The touch screen is good, as are the dual trackpads that do well at simulating mouse movements / clicks. Does the game support controllers on PC? (sorry not familiar with those games as I don't play much grand strategy stuff). If so, the Deck should default to using those. If not, there are usually community-made Steam Input profiles that do a decent enough job but might not capture everything.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I fucking love EmuDeck. Makes everything a breeze. Just set it up again. Used Steam ROM manager to add WiiU games only, then using EmulationStation that comes with EmuDeck now to do the other systems. Looks like they updated it, the UI is different now and looks really good. Love how it auto-organizes everything, and the scraper adds all the artwork and little video previews for you.
8EKkiLM.jpg

rofif

Banned
Well looks like I have a bit to wait yet. My time when I reserved does not match my rt time unfortunately. In my purchase log it says I made purchase 18 minutes after pre-order open. Must not have actually gone through till almost 30 minutes later.

HEkQcJl.jpg

Hi! It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 37 minutes, 34 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 8 minutes, 56 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 76.22% of the way there.
wtf. they are still sending out first 30 minutes of last year orders?! wtf

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just reserved the 64gb/420EUR version and will trade/sell my 256GB version. I mostly play indie games and games on EmuDeck... right now I have 50 games installed and still 140gb in total of free space with internal 256gb and 128gb SD card combined.

130 EUR more for the 256gb version just isn't worth it and because I'm not gaming that much either on it I want it as cheap as possible. Hell, I would take a Deck with less performance and a smaller form factor for less money or have an OLED screen for the same money instead. In any case, it's totally overpowered for my gaming habits 😅 I play my stunning AAA games on my gaming PC or PS5 and OLED TV. Slightly more powerful Switch would suffice, I reckon.
I agree. I've mainly used my 256gb unit (with a 256gb SD card) on my old backlog and newer indies (Rogue Legacy 2, Wildermyth, Dorf Romantik, Vampire Survivors etc, Gloomhaven.....etc....) and use my XSX for AAA graphic intensive games. I still have a few larger games which you can't play on XSX like The Witcher.....but can't turn away good deals like $7.49 for Monster Train and $3.49 for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. So, since I haven't really played any AAA graphic intensive games the fan has been quiet. Actually I haven't heard it at all (except when I put my ear up to it) so I hope I have one of the good fans.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I fucking love EmuDeck. Makes everything a breeze. Just set it up again. Used Steam ROM manager to add WiiU games only, then using EmulationStation that comes with EmuDeck now to do the other systems. Looks like they updated it, the UI is different now and looks really good. Love how it auto-organizes everything, and the scraper adds all the artwork and little video previews for you.
8EKkiLM.jpg
Is there a good place to get directions on how to go about this? Thanks!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
How do the PS4 games play? (God OF War, Days Gone and Horizon: Zero Dawn)

Worse, same or better than the console?

Out of the box, all of these games can be cranked up to look better than their PS4 counterparts, but will typically suffer performance wise unless locked to 30 fps.

However, thanks to the Deck's user-adjustable screen refresh rate, you can get those pretty PC graphics running at a stable 40hz for GoW and Days Gone (not sure about Horizon) now.

Finally, people have been using FSR to run the games at various resolutions and settings but getting it upscaled to 4K on their TV's with stable frame rates greater than 30. I saw some videos shared on Reddit that looked decidingly better than even the PS4 Pro running these games.

Ifixit wrote a brief editorial type deal regarding the reparability of the Deck - sorry if repost:

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Out of the box, all of these games can be cranked up to look better than their PS4 counterparts, but will typically suffer performance wise unless locked to 30 fps.

However, thanks to the Deck's user-adjustable screen refresh rate, you can get those pretty PC graphics running at a stable 40hz for GoW and Days Gone (not sure about Horizon) now.

Finally, people have been using FSR to run the games at various resolutions and settings but getting it upscaled to 4K on their TV's with stable frame rates greater than 30. I saw some videos shared on Reddit that looked decidingly better than even the PS4 Pro running these games.

Ifixit wrote a brief editorial type deal regarding the reparability of the Deck - sorry if repost:

[/URL]

A portable PS4 Pro, well that is rather impressive. I'm trying to wait for the official dock to see if they have any fantastic secrets (I highly doubt it) but i think I might just grab something so I can dock it at my desk.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is there a good place to get directions on how to go about this? Thanks!
I see maiden already linked you, but basically you get into Desktop Mode, go to EmuDeck.com, download and run the file, then select basic install, pick whether you want roms on internal or SD card, then let the script install everything for 5-10min. Afterwards, find the rom folder it created called Emulation and copy it to an external USB drive. I used an external 512GB SSD. Then on my PC I populate the folders for each system with the roms I want. I extracted them from the zips, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Then I plugged the external drive back into the Deck, and found the Emulation folder on Deck and deleted it, then dragged over the Emulation folder from the external drive.

From here I think it will have auto added EmulationStation to Steam under non-Steam games, but if it didn’t you’ll use the shortcut on the desktop to run Steam ROM Manager. It looks daunting, but we’re just flipping a couple switches to determine what apps/roms to add to your Steam menu. Flip the Parsers toggle to turn all toggles off, then flip only the EmulationStation toggle and the WiiU toggle if you’re doing Cemu/WiiU. Make sure Steam is closed. Then go up and hit Preview, then down below hit Generate app list. It will pop EmulationStation and WiiU games in the list. Then hit Save app list. It will say something like successfully added vdf(?) entries and your games are ready. Go back to Deck Game Mode and you should see EmulationStation and WiiU games. Hit EmulationStation and it should auto-detect all your emulators/roms. Then to get the artwork you go to the menu, select the systems to scrape, and run the scraper. That should be it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom