• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Man, DOOM Eternal really fucking flies on Deck and looks fantastic. I started using the back buttons instead of the face buttons. Played from full charge down to almost empty, like 1h45min or so, and I did get a little cramping in my right hand. I haven't had that happen until I started using the back buttons and obviously in Eternal you're jumping and dashing A LOT on that side, and when you combine that with holding the system for almost 2hrs it adds up. Left hand was fine since it's chainsaw and flame belch, so not as much action there. I'm thinking maybe a little piece of foam padding to extend the buttons on the back right(R4+R5?) would alleviate the fatigue.

That aside, just an amazing experience to be able to play DOOM(2016) and Eternal like that on a handheld.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yooo are you guys testing this new refresh rate changing beta?
Dark Souls 3 locks in at 45hz and is BUTTER smooth!
This device blows me away every update, and the fan is SOOO much quieter in this beta as well :messenger_face_screaming:

Hell yeah!! Just tried this in DOOM Eternal and you can update the screen refresh rate and frame rate limit on the fly in-game. Amazing stuff. This helps out in a number of ways: Useful for conserving battery life, smoother gameplay on sub-60fps titles, better frame pacing, lower input latency than going with 30fps cap, better graphics settings, etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just added touchpad protectors(TouchProtect?) to my son’s unit. Got the full armor now: tempered glass, silicone case, and touchpad protectors. Now I don’t have to worry so much.

4AZdTFp.jpg

Last edited:

Filben

Can someone explain to me where I find the fan curve setting? Installed the latest beta update and I can't find it anywhere. Every Steam Deck news page I've googled is waxing about this feature but doesn't explain where to find it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can someone explain to me where I find the fan curve setting? Installed the latest beta update and I can't find it anywhere. Every Steam Deck news page I've googled is waxing about this feature but doesn't explain where to find it.

I do not think it's adjustable. They merely changed the curve with the patch so that it needs to get hotter before the fan ramps up. So higher GPU temps, but hopefully less noise for some.

If I am wrong, maybe it's only OS level and can be found someplace in desktop mode rather than through the Steam interface.

RobRSG

Just found out that most of the fighting games I play, only works with proper framepacing when outside of Steam OS Game mode. Examples:

Tekken 7 (duplicates frames often)
Ultra Street Fighter 4 (skips and duplicates frames for no apparent reason) - Using 6.21GE-2 to enable the FMVs.
Soul Calibur 6 (duplicates frames often)

When playing from KDE Plasma, everything works flawless.

Filben

I do not think it's adjustable. They merely changed the curve with the patch so that it needs to get hotter before the fan ramps up. So higher GPU temps, but hopefully less noise for some.

If I am wrong, maybe it's only OS level and can be found someplace in desktop mode rather than through the Steam interface.
I see, thanks! That was what I was starting to think, too.

Kagero

Just payed for my steam deck. Watching YouTube videos and it sounds like pretty much every review hates the thing but loves it at the same time 🤷🏻

rofif

Banned
anyone here got 256/64 and 512? Share some close up glossy vs matte screen comparisons :p
I've changed my order 3rd time lol. 512 to 64 to now 256 :p

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just payed for my steam deck. Watching YouTube videos and it sounds like pretty much every review hates the thing but loves it at the same time 🤷🏻
Steam Deck is the best handheld I've ever used. There are some shortcomings, like Valve is purposefully slow-walking the dual-boot bios and Windows sound drivers so people won't ditch the Deck OS. Aside from that it's an amazing piece of kit. Love it.

Kagero

Steam Deck is the best handheld I've ever used. There are some shortcomings, like Valve is purposefully slow-walking the dual-boot bios and Windows sound drivers so people won't ditch the Deck OS. Aside from that it's an amazing piece of kit. Love it.
I think it would be right up my alley. I hardly play my switch because the types of games I enjoy don’t run well on it. Can’t wait to play triple A games on the go.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Did some battery life testing with The Witcher 3. The amount of options the Deck gives you to use on the fly is pretty crazy. 600p FSR5 with 40Hz refresh and 40fps cap gives you the best bang-for-buck. Still looks good and plays smoother than 30fps.
TW3-Deckjp.jpg

---
TW3, lowest settings, AA enabled, 600p FSR5, VRS enabled, 30fps cap, TDP+GPU limits, ~50% screen brightness, Wi-Fi off, rumble off, haptics off, ~10W, 4h20m battery. Not that you would, but you could. Still probably higher settings than Switch.
TW3-Lowest.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Does Arkham Knight work? I've heard mixed things.
Works well. Asylum and City didn't launch for me when I tried them a couple weeks ago, so I had assumed Knight would be the same. Gave it a try and it's a good game to use the new screen refresh rate and frame rate cap options with. It also works with FSR. A good settings mix is 800p native, normal Shadows and Level of Detail, and high Textures. This will almost always give a locked 40fps to use with the 40Hz screen refresh rate. The worst case scenario from my brief testing was speeding through a really foggy area in the batmobile it drops briefly into the the high 30s. Seemed to do it across a variety of settings, could be CPU related.

Here's some screens showing fullscreen 800p native with the aforementioned settings, and also windowed 540p FSR5 with all low settings except x4 AF...
Batman.jpg

Last edited:

Burger

Works well. Asylum and City didn't launch for me when I tried them a couple weeks ago, so I had assumed Knight would be the same. Gave it a try and it's a good game to use the new screen refresh rate and frame rate cap options with. It also works with FSR. A good settings mix is 800p native, normal Shadows and Level of Detail, and high Textures. This will almost always give a locked 40fps to use with the 40Hz screen refresh rate. The worst case scenario from my brief testing was speeding through a really foggy area in the batmobile it drops briefly into the the high 30s. Seemed to do it across a variety of settings, could be CPU related.

Here's some screens showing fullscreen 800p native with the aforementioned settings, and also windowed 540p FSR5 with all low settings except x4 AF...
Batman.jpg

I'll give it a go.

It worked fine here. I am running it via Heroic (EGS).

Didn't know about Heroic - that's my next job!

Mr Branding

Brehs, playing something like Oblivion for almost 3 hrs and then jumping into Soul Calibur, while in bed is something unreal to me. Also started Fallen Order and a little bit of og half-life, guys I’m in love with this thing. So happy to be an ‘early’ adopter for this magnificent handheld

Also, I have no steam friends so if it’s ok, I_am_mrbranding is my profile

Last edited:

Fredrik

And all of a sudden I can’t connect to my PC to transfer files.
It worked last night, but now, nope, impossible. Been uninstalling and installing Warpinator and checked guides for an hour. On the PC it just say that no computers can be found on the network, on the Deck I see the PC but can’t connect.
What should I do?
Edit: Got around it using a NAS. No idea why the PC and Deck suddenly stopped cooperating.

Last edited:

Tunned

I'm loving all the updates Valve is bringing out for the Deck, especially the screen refresh slider. And even though I really want my Deck now, I'm glad I'm Q4 for delivery, so much stuff is going to get added untill then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man i hope that valve and ms somehow manage to get game pass on this without installing windows. I will buy the next iteration of the device if they manage that somehow. I want my portable xbox.
Streaming is working, for what it's worth.

Burger

If you check the individual game settings, there‘s a sub-menu called Save-Sync. All you got to do is to check the box “Autosync saves”.

Cool thanks. Guess I don't have any saves for Arkham as it doesn't show up...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OK Windows attempt 2. Going to run GParted and resize my /home partition down on the internal NVMe drive. Gonna give it about 50GB of space to start with, then install Windows 11 onto that. Should be significantly smoother running the OS from the NVMe drive.

PhaseJump

Banned
I'm in Beta branch for the better fan curve. I opened it back up to remove the tape mod. The fan is nearly silent and accepetable all the time now even without it.

There's a big sale on right now, I've spent more time playing Steam "Deck" games than the emulators or Switch games I put on it. I'm feeling seriously done with Nintendo, and I wish Valve would step up verifying more Deck games. The green check mark makes a difference.

This is half price right now, and it is every bit as addictive as it was on Sega Genesis:

Calverz

Can I just ask how comfortable it is to play? Like do you need to stretch to reach the thumbsticks? How is the dpad? What is the closest comparison for the dpad?

jshackles

This feels like blasphemy

gZM7C1S.png

But I was able to resize my home partition using GParted, then installed Windows on the empty space. Then booted directly back into SteamOS using the "boot from file option", switched to desktop mode, then ran efibootmgr to add the boot option for SteamOS back to the menu (and made it the default).

The end result is now my Steam deck will boot to SteamOS, unless I tell it to boot to Windows by holding + while powering on and selecting Boot -> Windows Boot Manager.

Windows ran like ass on the SD card. It runs pretty smooth on the NVMe drive. In fact, it only takes about 4 seconds to boot. Downloading a few games to try out the performance on that.

PhaseJump

Banned
Can I just ask how comfortable it is to play? Like do you need to stretch to reach the thumbsticks? How is the dpad? What is the closest comparison for the dpad?

It's comfortable and not as heavy feeling as would be expected. It feels like a wide, textured PS4 controller in your palms, the index finger works the L1/L2 triggers, they're soft and not hard feeling, Thumb sticks feel like Xbox One sticks, D pad is more mush than click, like an SNES Dpad only it's a smooth cross. It doesn't feel flat and shallow like the more modern Dpads that came around on Wii peripherals. Reaching them all is no issue. Buttons underneath it are harder to press, like clicky square chiclet buttons on your middle fingers.

The wide stance of it makes it seem lighter, or more comfortable. The haptic thumb pads are great when they're on, feel exceptionally gross like a big flat button with horrible feedback if you switch off the haptics. The Steam & menu buttons beneath them are the worst thing about it. Flat and flush with the face, they're unresponsive rubber membranes.

Not a big deal, but I've went looking for it while holding the controller in the dark and kept having to brush up against the square pad, or ended up with my thumb putting pressure near the speaker while trying to pull up the menu.

Room for improvement, but still the greatest handheld.

Top Bottom