• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Don't be shy to try out games that are specifically flagged as "unsupported". I have three of these that run just fine and one of them was flagged for verified later on.

Sunset Overdrive for instance is a case that's not supported, but run fine after an initial error message that could be ignored and it started and run anyway just fine.

Proton really does its wonders. Try out the experimental build under the compatibility settings if the standard version fails to run a game.

I’m going to go through my full library a lot more. Excited at the possibilities of this thing, and I’m glad it arrived shortly before we go on vacation!

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The dock has been delayed, no eta that I know of.
Ah okay. Are there any other third party ones? Can't seem to find any on Amazon UK.

Also to you or anyone in the know. Is the SD just set to max out of the box like in terms of it's CPU and GPU clock speeds or can you increase them at the cost of battery life? Many thanks.

Ah okay. Are there any other third party ones? Can't seem to find any on Amazon UK.

Also to you or anyone in the know. Is the SD just set to max out of the box like in terms of it's CPU and GPU clock speeds or can you increase them at the cost of battery life? Many thanks.
I know there's an Anker one that was recommended a bunch on Reddit but I haven't bought one yet.

I believe its to the max, I think you can lower the clocks to conserve though.

Last edited:

Holammer

MetalJesusRocks made a video on the Deck, his only real complaint (despite the clickbait title) was the DOSBOX problems when trying to play his GOG library.
The man also leans very heavily into the console gamer camp so it's a different perspective. Him being impressed over the cheap prices on Steam gave me a chuckle.

Apocryphon

It's a PC, so games will launch with a lower than native resolution like they do on your desktop most of the time. You'll configure the games settings and then Steam Deck will run at max power unless you tell it to use a specific game profile, turn on FSR, or cap the framerate. A lot of people will recommend capping games to 40fps. You can either extend the battery life that way (vs 60fps+) or run at higher graphical settings. Fortunately you can adjust the power settings on the fly while games are running.

Doom Eternal at a mix of Very High/Ultra settings, native 1280 x 800, and capped to 40fps simply looks and plays amazingly. Shits all over the Switch and last gen versions, including the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Got my Deck Thursday finally. I'm very impressed. No problems on the fan with mine. Got a bunch of Steam games installed and set up Gamepass streaming, which is much better and smoother than expected. I got Heroic Launcher set up and while it works well for Epic, it's super slow on GOG. I think I will just wait on that for a while. Until they can integrate adding the games to Steam better.

Overall, highly impressed, and I now doubt I'll want to dual boot with Windows. If Heroic Launcher gets GOG support down perfect, the I think I'll have no need to.

Ogbert

CoD WW2 runs beautifully. It’s just a pity that multiplayer is next to impossible on the Steam Deck when you’re up against desktop users.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I picked up 'Please Fix the Road' yesterday and played for about an hour. Great game so far if puzzle games are your thing. Plays great on the Deck.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
It's a PC, so games will launch with a lower than native resolution like they do on your desktop most of the time. You'll configure the games settings and then Steam Deck will run at max power unless you tell it to use a specific game profile, turn on FSR, or cap the framerate. A lot of people will recommend capping games to 40fps. You can either extend the battery life that way (vs 60fps+) or run at higher graphical settings. Fortunately you can adjust the power settings on the fly while games are running.

Doom Eternal at a mix of Very High/Ultra settings, native 1280 x 800, and capped to 40fps simply looks and plays amazingly. Shits all over the Switch and last gen versions, including the PS4 Pro.
Yeah I do that sort of stuff it was more I saw a couple of youtube videos of it using close to 25watts and I'd only ever seen it use around 15 I think.

I only tend to play for an hour at a time mostly so if there was a "fuck battery life" button that let the chips run at higher clocks and meant an extra 5-10fps in games I'd probably use it a lot.

I could never get my head around Nintendo not offering people more clock speed when it was docked in the newer models with the small chip. This openness is what I love about Steam Deck especially the fact that I'm not waiting on third parties supporting it because it's literally a mobile PC.

rofif

Banned
MetalJesusRocks made a video on the Deck, his only real complaint (despite the clickbait title) was the DOSBOX problems when trying to play his GOG library.
The man also leans very heavily into the console gamer camp so it's a different perspective. Him being impressed over the cheap prices on Steam gave me a chuckle.

It really is pc gaming consolized in a good way.
It sets all windows crap bloat aside and gives you nice OSD to set framerate and so on.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
2TQTY8v.jpg

I have reached the next level of portability.

Steam deck + samsung freestyle.

100 inch portable gaming handheld

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I have a pretty extensive steam library. What do you think I should try out first? I was thinking Guilty Gear Strive. Playing that portably sounds like fun. Did anyone try that?

Edit: Just unboxed and I'm updating it now. Love the way this thing looks and feels. Feels premium to me.

Last edited:

BigBooper

One week in, got a bug or a serious issue 😢

Trying to recalibrate the battery
Did the battery run down completely to cause it? Good luck.

Here's a tip for people with multiple devices I saw somewhere. You can connect your phone or tablet to the Steam Deck with Bluetooth and then use headphones connected to the SteamDeck to listen to both devices. Handy if you want to use your phone's music or podcast player while you play.

Finally, after waiting months, the steam deck is on its way to me. And I‘m not even a PC player, I will mostly use it as a device on which I can emulate all my old games. Heard the steam deck is also a emulation beast compared to most other portable gaming devices.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Got my Deck Thursday finally. I'm very impressed. No problems on the fan with mine. Got a bunch of Steam games installed and set up Gamepass streaming, which is much better and smoother than expected. I got Heroic Launcher set up and while it works well for Epic, it's super slow on GOG. I think I will just wait on that for a while. Until they can integrate adding the games to Steam better.

Overall, highly impressed, and I now doubt I'll want to dual boot with Windows. If Heroic Launcher gets GOG support down perfect, the I think I'll have no need to.
I installed Heroic and GOG. I was able to log in and got access to my library but none of the games launch. Any tips?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, there's a decent amount of unsupported/untested games that work just fine. Here's how my library came out...
aVGcGKG.jpg

Before I sent my Deck in for RMA I was dual-booting SteamOS+Windows 10, so compatibility was extremely high.

Speaking of RMA, I sent my Deck out on June 4th and they received it on June 10th. I'm still waiting for the 'Shipped' notification for my new Deck. Hopefully it will be soon, I really miss having it and being able to play wherever and whenever I want. My gamble was that I'd be able to RMA and get a new Deck back before iFixit fans came back in stock. So far it's working out, as they're still sold out with no notifications sent so far.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I hope they continue to sell like hot cakes because this thing deserves success. It's a shame they can't mass produce them at the moment. I wonder how many of these things they could sell if you could readily get them at Walmart? It's certainly valves best hardware ever and I'm excited to see future iterations.

rofif

Banned
I hope they continue to sell like hot cakes because this thing deserves success. It's a shame they can't mass produce them at the moment. I wonder how many of these things they could sell if you could readily get them at Walmart? It's certainly valves best hardware ever and I'm excited to see future iterations.
If these were just available locally at media markts?
Millions.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How well is you all's library supported? I'm a little bit disappointed in how many of mine are unsupported, given their original grand hints of universal support.

2rfF4V7.png
0rfLCd2.png

Even though only 20% of my library is playable, that's still nearly 900 games that work great out of the box.

So far, the only "issue" I've encountered with any games marked as "Playable" is that you have to press Steam+X to bring up the keyboard sometimes. For example, I was playing Inscryption last night, and every time you die you have to enter your name which requires the keyboard.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oh thank heavens my replacement Steam Deck was just shipped out today. Curiously, the shipping origin was Bellevue, WA, so my expected arrival date is Wednesday since I live in neighboring Oregon. My other Deck and my son's Deck both originated in Carol Stream, IL.

I really fucking hope it's in perfect working condition like my son's 256GB Deck was. I can't endure another round of RMA.
I Hope Please GIF

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Have we heard anything about when or if the Steam Deck will release in Europe? I live in Norway, and Valve never released hardware like Steam Machines and Steam Link here. Should I just give up any hope for the Deck as well?

TVexperto

Have we heard anything about when or if the Steam Deck will release in Europe? I live in Norway, and Valve never released hardware like Steam Machines and Steam Link here. Should I just give up any hope for the Deck as well?
steamdeck already released in europe, brittain etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got my new Deck replacement back from Valve today after 3 weeks of waiting and it's perfect. No fucking fan whine!
Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

Screen looks better, too. My old 512GB Deck had a weird filmy residue you could see if you looked at it while holding it almost parallel to your eyes. You couldn't see it looking at it from a normal angle, but my new Deck screen is clean and perfect from either angle.

Everything else seems to be great so far. The only thing I haven't had a chance to test is the battery life and health from a full charge to near empty. Seems ok from the 20-30min I tested.

Video of my old fan whine Deck vs my new Deck without fan whine...

P.S.- The original Decks I got originated from Carol Stream, IL and were shipped in the distinct/iconic Deck box with the Deck logo on the side. The replacement Deck originated from Bellevue, WA and came with the distinct/iconic Deck box bubble wrapped and nested in a bigger box without Deck markings on it. That's how all Decks should be shipped.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
iFixit replacement fans in-stock...

Disclaimer: iFixit stated they would do their best to provide the Huaying fan(non-whiney/good fan), but they also stated they couldn't absolutely guarantee they'd ship a Huaying as opposed to a Delta. Reading through reddit it looks like most of them are the good fans, and somebody posted that iFixit said the recent batch was all Huaying. I ordered one in case on the 64GB Decks we reserved for 'After Q3' are whiney.

Sold out in about 3-4hrs. No notification email was sent, read it was available in a random post on Reddit.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Got mine a few weeks ago. Right now it is my ARPG machine. PoE and Diablo 2 R play great on it. I tried expedition Rome but it is too mouse heavy and im not used to it. V Rising drains the battery way too fast.

My only complaints are battery life and it was a giant PITA to install battle.net because of the keyboard continuously popping up in desktop mode. OLED would be super nice but not necessary.

Top Bottom