• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

bender

What time is it?
Is this installed the same way mods are in windows by dragging and dropping files into the install folder? I might need to check this one out today

Pretty much but you need to take the BIO4.exe and transfer it to a Windows device to patch it and then transfer it back.

ahtlas7

Ordered mine July 19, 2021 after moving from France to US. Now moving to Belgium and the calculator shows mine will ship about one week after I leave the US. lol Screwed!

Last edited:

Filben

Not sure how the Deck handles multiple profiles.
Better than the Desktop/Windows version of Steam. When you change profiles or boot up the Deck it's asking you which profile you want to use, like on Netflix, Disney+, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation etc. It's really well-made and only requires a push of a button.

The other issue: Well, didn't know you'll be locked to splitscreen mode with remote play. That would be kind of nasty on a small screen like the Deck. Guess there are no other options then, sadly.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
-Plays great on Deck is under 20% of my library. :(
Yes, this is one of the biggest downsides IMO. It's also a positive because: the vast size of the library of titles on the storefront. It will take a very long time to accurately assess every single one of them.

However, I have tried a small handful of those 'unknown' titles and most of them are at least bootable & were playable in starting areas. It's worth giving any you are interested a shot.

ProtonDB also has a very robust analysis system in place, which allows for actual user feedback viewable to the visitor.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I saw a few reviews that say the difference is small but I honestly can't remember which. Maybe Linus Tech Tips or one of their sister channels?
I thought I saw a comparison that showed the 512gb model had a bit more vibrant color at the cost of some sharpness. Not to mention the much better reflection handling on the 512

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My Deck arrived yesterday.

+RE4 HD Project is just WOW
+Happy with PCSX2 performance. Silent Hill 2 runs at 58-64 fps.
-Kind of unhappy with Dolphin performance. Both Eternal Darkness and F-Zero GX dip heavily and frequently.
I really need to get dolphin going someday on this or my PC. I really need to play eternal darkness again.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My neighbor has a 256, I have a 512, and while I didn't notice a difference in vibrancy, when we were both outside comparing libraries the glare on his 256 was pretty bad - while my screen was OK. To be expected, I guess, just sharing my anecdote.

Nvzman

That is pretty deceiving. I have a whole bunch of games that work fantastic that have either not been tested at all or have very minor things not getting them the verification.
Yea, for some reason RE3 Remake says its unsupported on the Deck but I was playing like 20 minutes of it and it ran perfectly. 60fps too.

Pejo

You know, it's a damn shame that they didn't include a TB3 port on the Deck, even if it was only on the 512 model.

The ability to plug this bad boy into an eGPU would be a ton of fun to piss around with, though the CPU bottleneck would probably ruin it. Still, a man can dream.

This guy did a few physical mods to try it out. I don't have the motivation to do something like this, but still interesting:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

-Kind of unhappy with Dolphin performance. Both Eternal Darkness and F-Zero GX dip heavily and frequently.

The plays great on my deck being suck a small part of my library was another reason I decided to sell mine for now. I do look forward to the next one, or if they are cheaper at some point.
I do kind of miss it already......

RobRSG

FZero GX has a hack that improves performance, are you using Retroarch or the standalone emulator?

Has anyone had issues playing Horizon Zero Dawn? Just got my Deck and was looking forward to playing it again, but it freezes just a few seconds into loading a game. I’ve re-images the Deck and verified the files, but same behavior.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
s0fvX9m.jpg
I'm bummed that my ghetto-rigged external 1TB SSD randomly disconnects in some games like RDR2. It was stuff I already had, so I was excited about saving some money. I understand why they choose 2230, but that shit is so expensive. I like the anti-glare screen, but if I could go back in time I would have just got the $399 64GB and just upgraded to a 1TB 2230 SSD.
Has anyone had issues playing Horizon Zero Dawn? Just got my Deck and was looking forward to playing it again, but it freezes just a few seconds into loading a game. I’ve re-images the Deck and verified the files, but same behavior.
I just tried it from the internal drive and it played fine. Are you playing off SSD or microSD(it should work fine off both, just curious)?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

F zero is just really hard to emulate afaik.

JCK75

Mine finally arrived yesterday, could not have come in a better time.. I had to get out of my old house at my apartment is not available until August so I'm staying with family until then.. Don't have access to my gaming PC so finally being able to play my steam games again is glorious.. It plays Elden Ring, God of war, valheim and Witcher 3 flawlessly. So I'm content for a long time to come.

I'm bummed that my ghetto-rigged external 1TB SSD randomly disconnects in some games like RDR2. It was stuff I already had, so I was excited about saving some money. I understand why they choose 2230, but that shit is so expensive. I like the anti-glare screen, but if I could go back in time I would have just got the $399 64GB and just upgraded to a 1TB 2230 SSD.

I just tried it from the internal drive and it played fine. Are you playing off SSD or microSD(it should work fine off both, just curious)?
The internal drive, I don’t even have an SD card yet (got one on Prime day, waiting it to ship). I have Doom and Batman Arkham Knight installed and those run fine, but Horizon just freezes almost immediately. I doubt it’s a hardware issue because the other games seem to be working. I even put my Deck on the beta OS to see if that would fix it, no change, still freezes. It’s odd too, the game freezes, not the Deck. I can still access the menu and force quit the game.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Just got my steam deck, it's a beautiful Wii u gamepad. One question to see if someone can help me. I installed windows and everything is set, my games run smoothly and I can use the steam controller playing games via steam, even non steam games. But I'm having a bit of a problem, cemu doesn't recognize the left analog stick and dolphin doesn't recognize the controller at all, even adding the emulator to steam. The steamos probably doesn't have that problem but I need windows on my device.

I'm a noob with the steam controller but I'm sure there must be a way. Someone...? 🥺

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got my steam deck, it's a beautiful Wii u gamepad. One question to see if someone can help me. I installed windows and everything is set, my games run smoothly and I can use the steam controller playing games via steam, even non steam games. But I'm having a bit of a problem, cemu doesn't recognize the left analog stick and dolphin doesn't recognize the controller at all, even adding the emulator to steam. The steamos probably doesn't have that problem but I need windows on my device.

I'm a noob with the steam controller but I'm sure there must be a way. Someone...? 🥺
There is an application called GlosSI ("Global Systemwide Steam Input") that can accomplish this:

That being said, the implementation is somewhat clunky. Essentially, you run the application and use it to add a non-Steam game shortcut to Steam. This shortcut can be the game itself (for example, Dolphin in your case) or anything like notepad.exe. Then you run that shortcut through Steam, and the application creates a system-level driver for Steam Input. Essentially, it adds your "Steam Controller" as a Windows game controller that is recognized by any application - even if that application isn't launched through Steam. So as long as your shortcut that you set up with GlosSI is running, any program can use the Steam Deck's controls as if they were native XInput in windows.

I have tested this on my Steam Deck back when I ran Windows on it, and it worked great once I got everything set up. But again, it's a pretty clunky implimentation.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've been playing Ender Lillies on this. A great type of game for this little beast. I've also been enjoying some rounds of Wreckfest. A very fun game that runs really well.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

The internal drive, I don’t even have an SD card yet (got one on Prime day, waiting it to ship). I have Doom and Batman Arkham Knight installed and those run fine, but Horizon just freezes almost immediately. I doubt it’s a hardware issue because the other games seem to be working. I even put my Deck on the beta OS to see if that would fix it, no change, still freezes. It’s odd too, the game freezes, not the Deck. I can still access the menu and force quit the game.
Have you tried reinstalling? Very basic yes but might work.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Could be an issue with Proton Compatibility layer. I had a problem where it would corrupt and then the controls wouldn't work in certain games. Try going to the HZD game page->Settings->Developer->Delete Proton Files. Then Settings->Properties->Compatibility->Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool-> Proton Experimental.

still trying to get to grips with the battery life variance heh

horizon zero dawn looks and runs amazing but 1.5 hours of gametime isn't it

started up disco elysium and pretty impressed with the anticipated 4 hours that would run for

Ezquimacore

Banned
There is an application called GlosSI ("Global Systemwide Steam Input") that can accomplish this:

[/URL]

That being said, the implementation is somewhat clunky. Essentially, you run the application and use it to add a non-Steam game shortcut to Steam. This shortcut can be the game itself (for example, Dolphin in your case) or anything like notepad.exe. Then you run that shortcut through Steam, and the application creates a system-level driver for Steam Input. Essentially, it adds your "Steam Controller" as a Windows game controller that is recognized by any application - even if that application isn't launched through Steam. So as long as your shortcut that you set up with GlosSI is running, any program can use the Steam Deck's controls as if they were native XInput in windows.

I have tested this on my Steam Deck back when I ran Windows on it, and it worked great once I got everything set up. But again, it's a pretty clunky implimentation.
Could be clunky but it's a life saver, thanks a lot. This will be perfect for now.

Bluecondor

My deck arrived via Fed-Ex this morning. I'm still amazed that the PS5 has been out since November of 2020 I have not had the opportunity to purchase one (as I refuse to pay a scalper), but I ordered a Steam Deck on July 21, 2021 and now I have one just under a year later.

Prior to me not being able to get a PS5, I bought 20+ games per year for my Playstations. I think I bought 2 games this year for my PS4. Now I am going to buy all of my games for the forseeable future from Steam.

Have you tried reinstalling? Very basic yes but might work.

Could be an issue with Proton Compatibility layer. I had a problem where it would corrupt and then the controls wouldn't work in certain games. Try going to the HZD game page->Settings->Developer->Delete Proton Files. Then Settings->Properties->Compatibility->Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool-> Proton Experimental.
Tried reinstalling and even did yet another reimaging. Locked up again. Switched it to low settings and it hard shut off the system. RMA at this point?

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
still trying to get to grips with the battery life variance heh

horizon zero dawn looks and runs amazing but 1.5 hours of gametime isn't it

started up disco elysium and pretty impressed with the anticipated 4 hours that would run for
If you're looking to prioritize battery life you can set to 960x600(FSR Sharp 3), 30fps in-game limiter, Low Settings, GPU Limit 1000MHz, and screen brightness to 2 steps below 100%. Results in about 14-15W power consumption during benchmark and an estimated 2h50m-3h battery life. Drop that down to 768x480, GPU Limit 900MHz and it results in roughly 12-13W consumption and about 3h20m-3h30m estimated battery life. This way, if you're at home you can run native res, normal/high settings, uncapped frame rate. Then when you're on the go looking to extend battery life you can go with 30fps/FSR/GPU Limit/Low settings for double the battery life.
Tried reinstalling and even did yet another reimaging. Locked up again. Switched it to low settings and it hard shut off the system. RMA at this point?
Did you try deleting and switching Proton Compatibility Layers? It was unclear from this post.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

[/URL][/URL]

found the solution, just had to

[/URL]

ok found the solution without needing to use glossi. go to steam big picture mode, configuration, base controller and desktop configuration. There, browse the community templates and pick xbox 360 gamepad. now edit the trackpad to use the right as mouse and the left as right click. now is perfect.

bender

What time is it?
Spent a few hours today cleaning (hiding) up my Steam library which I've never done before. I have no idea how I got most of these grenades. The bad news is that Virtua Tennis doesn't work on Deck but Ninja Blade does.

Tams

Gold Member
You know, it's a damn shame that they didn't include a TB3 port on the Deck, even if it was only on the 512 model.

The ability to plug this bad boy into an eGPU would be a ton of fun to piss around with, though the CPU bottleneck would probably ruin it. Still, a man can dream.

This guy did a few physical mods to try it out. I don't have the motivation to do something like this, but still interesting:

Because they couldn't without an external controller that Valve simply weren't going to try and cram into a handheld. Even laptop makers mostly don't bother.

My deck arrived via Fed-Ex this morning. I'm still amazed that the PS5 has been out since November of 2020 I have not had the opportunity to purchase one (as I refuse to pay a scalper), but I ordered a Steam Deck on July 21, 2021 and now I have one just under a year later.

Prior to me not being able to get a PS5, I bought 20+ games per year for my Playstations. I think I bought 2 games this year for my PS4. Now I am going to buy all of my games for the forseeable future from Steam.

There's nothing preventing Sony or Microsoft implementing a similar purchase system that Valve uses for the Steam Deck. It pisses me off that they haven't.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

There's nothing preventing Sony or Microsoft implementing a similar purchase system that Valve uses for the Steam Deck. It pisses me off that they haven't.
Yeah with how times have changed it’s hard to believe others haven’t tried to do something like what Valve did. I’d much rather just get my place in line secured then wait my turn than try to beat out bots every time some Twitter account says some retailer is going to get a restock. The only reason I got a PS5 a year ago was my buddy enjoys the hunt for these things and called a local grocery chain that has an electronics department every week when they got shipments in, and I was driving by on my way to work when he frantically called me to tell me to get in there if I wanted one.

Thaedolus

One thing that’s crazy impressive to me is how well the suspend/resume feature is working. I’m sure it’s not always going to be perfect with all the games out there but so far every one I’ve tried it with, it has been flawless. Knowing I can do any sort of tweak I want and run almost any custom software I want is great, but the “it just works” factor is very impressive right out of the box too.

KiteGr

Can it run Grandia 3?
I'm very interested cause I'm planning on playing there all games that we never got here in Europe.
As for Dolphin, I'm no expert, but I've heard that the emulators hold when loading assets, and that's when running content for the first time. Try re-running those games and replay the same stage to see if the dips persist. I think there are ways to run the games with that content preloaded so not to hang during gameplay.

Calverz

Dolphin still not great? That’s really disappointing to hear and could be a deal breaker for me personally.

Top Bottom