• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Anyone pay for their Steam Deck this week and still waiting on shipping? Got email Monday, paid immediately. Thought usually they shipped by Wednesday before moving to the next round of emails on Thursday…

Apocryphon

Anyone pay for their Steam Deck this week and still waiting on shipping? Got email Monday, paid immediately. Thought usually they shipped by Wednesday before moving to the next round of emails on Thursday…
Usually ship Thursdays, but who knows. You'll have it next week either way bru.

Mine took almost exactly 1 week to show after payment. Paid for it 2 Saturdays back, shipped on Tuesday and it showed up last Saturday. Once it shipped the tracking did not work whenever I tried to check where it was.

I still haven't opened it since I am waiting for a screen protector which I will do tonight.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Not 100% sure if I want one, so I just put a deposit just in case. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

What do you guys think of the anti-glare screen? Is it worthy for someone who's going to use it indoors?

Great OP by the way!
I bought the 256gb and I'm more than happy with the screen. If you're likely to use it indoors 90% of the time, I wouldn't stump for the 512. Use the money to get a 1tb MicroSD card instead!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We finally have some Steam Deck docks but they aunt from Valve Yet. In this video, we take look at a 5-in-1 Dock for the Steam deck that you can buy right now. It has HDMi 2.0 for 4K 60 Video, USB Type C for 45-watt charging, and 3 USB 3.0 Ports to have hard drives and other devices on the deck.

kikkis

What's the benefit of steam deck compared to laptop and controller? I mean to me it seems that with laptop and controller combo you get better ergonomics since you don't have to hold your hands quite as upright (so blood doesnt flow away from hands) when lying on bed (with laptop on your belly in other case), and I imagine proper controller does feel nicer than steam decks controls. On top of that you get much bigger and often better display, more battery assuming similar specs, and I don't think even portability is that different assuming you use bag. And if you are laptop user already, you can budget that 400 bucks to better laptop in the first place. Just asking for opinions so no need to pile on me.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What's the benefit of steam deck compared to laptop and controller? I mean to me it seems that with laptop and controller combo you get better ergonomics since you don't have to hold your hands quite as upright (so blood doesnt flow away from hands) when lying on bed (with laptop on your belly in other case), and I imagine proper controller does feel nicer than steam decks controls. On top of that you get much bigger and often better display, more battery assuming similar specs, and I don't think even portability is that different assuming you use bag. And if you are laptop user already, you can budget that 400 bucks to better laptop in the first place. Just asking for opinions so no need to pile on me.
This is a handheld so you don’t have to have a hot laptop sitting on your lap while you look down at a weird angle. You can carry it easily and whereas a laptop you have to deal with the separate controller. I have a decent laptop and I never use for portable gaming. In fact, it’s in desktop mode connected to a monitor 95% of the time.

PhaseJump

Banned

You imagine a proper controller feels better than the Deck, and that is a fault right there. The Deck looks big, is lighter than expected, and it is two halves of a proper controller. Being wide makes it comfortable if laying down, you are not pulling your arms and hands together. It's much better than the Steam Controller, and if Valve made a Steam Controller 2 out of Deck design, it would arguably be the best thing out there.

It feels like PS4 texture or quality, with tall Xbox One sticks. The haptics make the track pads feel tactile like you are moving a mouse around. The buttons underneath are added options, and you can remap or key combo everything.

Apocryphon

In the past 20 years I've carted around 5 different gaming laptops. DELL XPS before they bought Alienware, then a couple of Alienware laptops, and a Razer Blade a few years ago. They're heavy, noisy, and come with stupidly large power bricks. But they're amazing for gaming when traveling or at work... just not on the go or on the toilet.

I bought a Steam Deck because I have a large Steam library and I had put a lot of time into my Switch consoles. I figured I'd use it as a retro FPS machine and primarily use it on vacations, when my missus was watching TV in the lounge and I didn't want to go play in the basement, and at work when things were quiet. What I got is a device that is easily taking up 50% or more of my overall gaming time now and I take it pretty much everywhere.

The ergonomics are so good, it feels just like holding a controller. It's not overly heavy, but yeah you probably won't be holding it above your head. In bed I just rest it on a cushion and play seated.

The thing I love most is the simplicity. You forget it's a PC when you're in gaming mode and Steam OS offers some solid settings like VRS, FSR, and the ability to set both the framerate and screen refresh rate to 40-60hz. You can easily adjust the GPU and CPU clocks in the OS to maximize battery life for extended play sessions too. It just works.

Thaedolus

In the past 20 years I've carted around 5 different gaming laptops. DELL XPS before they bought Alienware, then a couple of Alienware laptops, and a Razer Blade a few years ago. They're heavy, noisy, and come with stupidly large power bricks. But they're amazing for gaming when traveling or at work... just not on the go or on the toilet.

I bought a Steam Deck because I have a large Steam library and I had put a lot of time into my Switch consoles. I figured I'd use it as a retro FPS machine and primarily use it on vacations, when my missus was watching TV in the lounge and I didn't want to go play in the basement, and at work when things were quiet. What I got is a device that is easily taking up 50% or more of my overall gaming time now and I take it pretty much everywhere.

The ergonomics are so good, it feels just like holding a controller. It's not overly heavy, but yeah you probably won't be holding it above your head. In bed I just rest it on a cushion and play seated.

The thing I love most is the simplicity. You forget it's a PC when you're in gaming mode and Steam OS offers some solid settings like VRS, FSR, and the ability to set both the framerate and screen refresh rate to 40-60hz. You can easily adjust the GPU and CPU clocks in the OS to maximize battery life for extended play sessions too. It just works.
Exactly my thoughts. It’s the best of like all worlds, except battery life on taxing games but even that can be adjusted.

Apocryphon

nice.
Can steam deck run 4k120 desktop/browser ?
probably no, right ?
lhVhijG.jpg

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was a little shocked when playing Spider-Man Remastered caused my Deck to flash an overheating notification saying something like "Deck is too hot, performance may be scaled back". I looked it up and it seems it's a new feature of the 3.3 update. First time I've seen it. I opened the performance overlay and it was hitting ~89°C GPU and 89-95°C CPU.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Just got mine today 🥳
Something I didn't expect was to be constantly thinking I'm using the Nintendo button layout, my brain Is so used to handhelds using that form factor.
Yeah, first thing I did when I realized I could was remap the Switch A and B buttons so that they're reversed.

KiteGr

On getmydeck, I went from 42.92 to 78.95.
That's a ridiculous boost!
I was expecting it to pick up speed, as the site counts days of pre-orders and not actual pre-orders, so with most pre-orders having been made in the first couple of days the rest should be covered much faster, but DAMN!
I was expecting it to arrive at the end of September, but by the look of it, I might get my e-mail as soon as the end of the week.

Can someone tell me how long will it take to arrive after I pay for it for the average European country?

Last edited:
Anyone know how to cash in a copy of a game for a friend that was free when you bought the game on Steam ?

*never mind , got it.

Last edited:

KiteGr

August 2021?
Maybe next year lol.
They only shipped 15 days of preorders so far
They've boost the production significantly the last week.
To be honest, i didn't expect the mail to arrive until the end of September.
Doesn't me paying for it means that they'll ship it soon?

rofif

Banned
They've boost the production significantly the last week.
To be honest, i didn't expect the mail to arrive until the end of September.
Doesn't me paying for it means that they'll ship it soon?
Yes. It means they will ship it asap.
When did you reserve and what model ?
I reserved 256gb in april this year

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Minus a few hiccups when running games the first time things are going well

I've had this feeling like I did when I got the PS1 or the GBA and then PSP.

Amazing portable performance.

Yakuza Like a Dragon runs amazing.

I'm definitely going to beat more games thanks to cloud saves and going back forth between PC and Deck.

Setting up emulation on the 1tb SD card now.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

87.53 % there after yesterday’s batch. Might get my email on Monday which is perfect since I fly back home from holiday on Tuesday. Reserved early March.

Can’t wait!

AndrewRyan

Brought the Deck to a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. Was sitting in the waiting room playing God of War and listening through bluetooth headphones. Think it was over a half hour but not really sure!

Top Bottom