• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I check my preorders every other day and today they said expected September-December instead of Q4. Looked at the Deck Twitter account and they posted that they've increased production and are ahead of estimates. Good news...

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Here's the Steam Deck booth at the Tokyo Game Show.

Imagine looking up and seeing this guy! You can see here he's testing the rear buttons.
HMxwuTx.png

Last edited:

Croga

Bit of a random one, but for anyone digging deep into emulation on the Deck and running into issues with Wii and GameCube emulation like I was, I finally found a fix that solved all my issues.

Installing Power Tools and limiting the CPU threads in use to 3 for Dolphin emulation makes GameCube / Wii games run perfectly.

I'd been previously having issues with audio stuttering and general choppiness in Baten Kaitos that was driving me nuts, so just throwing it out there in case anyone runs into the same issues.

Apocryphon

Mine arrived today, and I'm definitely in love. Mostly have been playing Vampire Survivors though hah.

Some questions though:

1) I see you all mentioning 40fps/40hz, how do I do that exactly? I'm assuming you just set the screen refresh to 40hz then that lets you pick 40 fps as a cap? (I'm away from the Deck right now so I'm just curious)
Only just seeing this so you've probably figured it out already, bit if not...

Open the Quick Access menu (3 dots) and go to the Performance tab (battery icon) and set the refresh rate slider to 40hz. Once you have done that the franerate slider underneath with update to include a FPS setting.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TfEkDS7.jpg
For about $10 you get all three games, Shenmue III is Deck verified, and can play all Shenmue titles on the go (the sound audio mixing issue should not be as bad as it is on PS4/PS5 and a decent 5.1/7.1 surround sound setup where the audio will often clip as if it had been compressed and amplified afterwards).

Steam Deck and AMD have found a goldmine… yes my Deck is now shipping (although it is shipping with Evri sigh…).

Filben

1) I see you all mentioning 40fps/40hz, how do I do that exactly? I'm assuming you just set the screen refresh to 40hz then that lets you pick 40 fps as a cap? (I'm away from the Deck right now so I'm just curious)
In case you want to use an FPS limiter for any reason: try using an in-game limiter first since the Deck's own limiter induces very noticeable input latency. See this chart for reference:

steamdecklatencytesting.png

Sources: 1, 2

This coincides with my experience with the limiter.

Use the Deck's limiter only if the game doesn't support limiting FPS, your desired value or cause any other issue that outweighs high input latency.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I did some quick testing today.
This thing feels like a sin. I know I don’t need it but it’s so cool and playing games this way is interestingly weird. I know it’s a waste of money with pc in the same room but still.
Why wasting ~600w if you can play your games at 15w just like everywhere you like?
Anyway. Not sure what I was expecting but hl2 runs 60 and using like 30% of power.
Fear runs 60fps at 800p all maxed with fsaa x4 and it’s crazy expensive soft shadows and only using like 50%. Wow
Dark souls 3 maxed 40 fps.

I know right?

At that moment, I sat open-mouthed in front of the Deck, thinking back to the time when my PC almost smoked while trying to maintain 30fps at medium settings.

Don't miss on gyro-aim while aim down sight in shooters, it just feels right.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Why wasting ~600w if you can play your games at 15w just like everywhere you like?

I know right?

At that moment, I sat open-mouthed in front of the Deck, thinking back to the time when my PC almost smoked while trying to maintain 30fps at medium settings.

Don't miss on gyro-aim while aim down sight in shooters, it just feels right.

yep. I played this at 800x600 mix of medium settings, no anti aliasing, bad framerate :p
An now it's 800p... 4xFSAA (which I think is super sampling) and all maxed. Oh dang... I gotta install Mirrors Edge!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Got my confirmation email, so I have a few days to finally decide if I want a Steam Deck or not. Decisions, decisions...

yep. I played this at 800x600 mix of medium settings, no anti aliasing, bad framerate :p
An now it's 800p... 4xFSAA (which I think is super sampling) and all maxed. Oh dang... I gotta install Mirrors Edge!
Back then I played FEAR on minimum settings lol. I swear, it made the game even more scarier. :goog_relieved:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ffff my deck is ready - I just pre-ordered mid August! WHAT DO?!
My man, I'm on the same boat...

I already have a beefy PC, and it's plugged to both an OLED TV (to play on the couch) and a monitor, so I don't know how much use I'll put into de Deck.

I guess it would be great for playing indies like CrossCode or Rain World, and the same goes for older games. But I dunno, still undecided. :goog_relieved:

My man, I'm on the same boat...

I already have a beefy PC, and it's plugged to both an OLED TV (to play on the couch) and a monitor, so I don't know how much use I'll put into de Deck.

I guess it would be great for playing indies like CrossCode or Rain World, and the same goes for older games. But I dunno, still undecided. :goog_relieved:
Yea I have a solid PC and don't necessarily need it, BUT, I often find myself wanting to play PC games at night but being too bushed from the day to do so. It would be an ideal machine to have for this very situation...

Filben

I know right?

It's amazing how those reflections won't break like screen space reflections do once you move the camera from the reflected object. Especially when they use SSR for static objects like it is used in FEAR it shouldn't happen. I get that dynamic or many small objects would need far more performance, but even if you have few and large ones most modern games rely on SSR that break under movement.

KiteGr

I'm trying to install the mod that unlocks the fps on Chrono Cross, but it's a nightmare to install it on the deck's linux.

I tried opening both the exe with Wine and the Ips with Lunar, but I'm a noob when it comes to moding and I can't seem to find the game's folder when extracting.

Does anyone have a clue?

Last edited:

Kupfer

It's amazing how those reflections won't break like screen space reflections do once you move the camera from the reflected object. Especially when they use SSR for static objects like it is used in FEAR it shouldn't happen. I get that dynamic or many small objects would need far more performance, but even if you have few and large ones most modern games rely on SSR that break under movement.
Same goes for other older games like Half-Life 2. I posted some screenshots in this thread about its' still today great looking water.

Nowadays I'm often disappointed by modern games that just fall back on SSR without having really painstakingly placed meaningful cubemaps underneath (TLOU Part II does a great job at this) and there are constantly ugly breaks in immersion when you look around and the reflection breaks.

TintoConCasera

Still undecided, got a few questions for you guys:
  1. How's the dpad? Is it good enough for fighting games?
  2. How are load times when running games from the MicroSD?
  3. How's compatibility with old ass games like Deus Ex or Thief? I know they are't Deck verified but I'm wondering how complex it is to make them run. Also... any kind of EAX support for oldies? Thief wouldn't be the same without that.
  4. How are framerates with PS4 era games? Would love to play DQXI or the later Monster Hunter games on the Deck.
  5. 40fps mode. Does it feel smooth? How so compared to 30 and 60?
  6. And the most important... are you enjoying your Deck? Or is it gathering dust already? :goog_relieved:
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
  3. How's compatibility with old ass games like Deus Ex or Thief? I know they are't Deck verified but I'm wondering how complex it is to make them run. Also... any kind of EAX support for oldies? Thief wouldn't be the same without that.
  4. How are framerates with PS4 era games? Would love to play DQXI or the later Monster Hunter games on the Deck.
  6. And the most important... are you enjoying your Deck? Or is it gathering dust already? :goog_relieved:
Thanks in advance!
  1. Good, yes
  2. Not terrible
  3. Search any game you like at https://www.protondb.com/
  4. IDK, Spiderman is supposed to run well. I'm sure Digital Foundry has some analysis vids to help on this point.
  5. It's on par with 30fps, but I usually keep it to 60 tbh
  6. I love my Deck. It's become my favorite console.

keefged4

I'm trying to install the mod that unlocks the fps on Chrono Cross, but it's a nightmare to install it on the deck's linux.

I tried opening both the exe with Wine and the Ips with Lunar, but I'm a noob when it comes to moding and I can't seem to find the game's folder when extracting.

Does anyone have a clue?
There's a couple of ways to get around this, the easiest thing to do is to pre-patch the exe on a windows PC and then transfer and overwrite the file to the deck, or you could download the patcher file (second one down), put it in the same folder as the exe and add the patcher as a non-steam game. before running the patcher through steam you'll need to make sure its set to use proton in steam's compatability settings.

Depending on where you have installed Chrono Cross, the exe file you want to patch will either be in /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Chronocross if internal or /run/media/mmcblk0p1/steamapps/common/Chronocross if installed on the SD card.

Apologies if this still doesn't work, I dont have Chrono Cross on steam but have experience modding other games on the Deck, the actual folder name for Chrono Cross may be different, but it will be in the common folder in steamapps.

TintoConCasera

Couldn't decide on this, so ended up saying "fuck it" and ordering it. Hope I don't regret it. :goog_relieved:

There are many indies I'd love to play on a handheld, plus being able to play older and even some newer games seems very cool. 40hz mode should help with games like Monster Hunter World, DQ XI or the latest Yakuza games.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sierras Quest for Glory from the early 90s plays on the Deck on dosbox. However I can't seem to get the music to play , but the sound effects do work.

Anyone from Gaf have any suggestions on how to make the music work ? I'm a n00b with this stuff.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sierras Quest for Glory from the early 90s plays on the Deck on dosbox. However I can't seem to get the music to play , but the sound effects do work.

Anyone from Gaf have any suggestions on how to make the music work ? I'm a n00b with this stuff.
Turn the volume up silly.

KiteGr

There's a couple of ways to get around this, the easiest thing to do is to pre-patch the exe on a windows PC and then transfer and overwrite the file to the deck, or you could download the patcher file (second one down), put it in the same folder as the exe and add the patcher as a non-steam game. before running the patcher through steam you'll need to make sure its set to use proton in steam's compatability settings.

Depending on where you have installed Chrono Cross, the exe file you want to patch will either be in /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Chronocross if internal or /run/media/mmcblk0p1/steamapps/common/Chronocross if installed on the SD card.

Apologies if this still doesn't work, I dont have Chrono Cross on steam but have experience modding other games on the Deck, the actual folder name for Chrono Cross may be different, but it will be in the common folder in steamapps.
I don't want to involve my PC in my mods. I don't have have a dock or a hub yet, and at best I can plug a mouse on the single type-c port it has, and deal with the digital keyboard that doesn't work very well in desktop mode (using the app finding tool is a nightmare). I don't know though how much control I would have should I connect my deck directly to my PC. Would I be able to tamper directly with it's SSD?

The path is home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Chronocross, but I can't seem to find it when running the patcher. The deck appears to have 4 disks for some reasons, the patcher by default appear to look where wine is installed, so moving it into the game's folder won't help, and it doesn't seem to be able to see hidden folders, that apparently the games are installed at (I think the dot on the front of the folder is a measure to make the folder hidden).

Should I'm able to tamper the deck's SSD through my PC, is it safe to tamper with programs and files intended for Linux?
As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to both Moding and Linux.

rofif

Banned
People who play fps games with a stick here, for example with half life 2.
Can I make the right joystick be a right joystick like on a controller? Or is it secretly just moving the mouse in a joystick way?
I have it set with official deck layout to "camera" and it works fine except few things that I chanegd/want to cahnge.
1)X and Y both to 100% are weird. I changed Y to 75% since I was somehow looking up or down just when I wanted to rotate.
2)is there a way to add stick time based acceleration? Like, when you rotate max for a second or two, the camera would speed up. I like using lower stick responsiveness but then it's too slow to rotate whole way around.
Anyway - It plays good as it is already with official layout +disabled gyro. I am just not a gyro fan

keefged4

I don't want to involve my PC in my mods. I don't have have a dock or a hub yet, and at best I can plug a mouse on the single type-c port it has, and deal with the digital keyboard that doesn't work very well in desktop mode (using the app finding tool is a nightmare). I don't know though how much control I would have should I connect my deck directly to my PC. Would I be able to tamper directly with it's SSD?

The path is home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Chronocross, but I can't seem to find it when running the patcher. The deck appears to have 4 disks for some reasons, the patcher by default appear to look where wine is installed, so moving it into the game's folder won't help, and it doesn't seem to be able to see hidden folders, that apparently the games are installed at (I think the dot on the front of the folder is a measure to make the folder hidden).

Should I'm able to tamper the deck's SSD through my PC, is it safe to tamper with programs and files intended for Linux?
As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to both Moding and Linux.
The reason you cant see the "hidden" folders is because the launcher is assuming you are using windows, as you are running it through proton. As I said, I'm sorry if my advice didn't help you, I'm still learning linux myself and I dont have Chrono Cross, so I'm not 100% how the patcher works. It may be that you will have to locate the exe in proton's compatdata folder instead of the common one, which can get a bit tricky. If you are running the patcher, the SD card can be found under the Z: drive, then run/media/mmcblk0p1. I'm not sure what the internal drive is. The best thing to do honestly is to pre patch the exe first on your PC then fire it over to the deck, its the easiest option, and can be done simply using warpinator on the deck, and winpinator on windows.

keefged4

Can I make the right joystick be a right joystick like on a controller? Or is it secretly just moving the mouse in a joystick way?
I have it set with official deck layout to "camera" and it works fine except few things that I chanegd/want to cahnge.
1)X and Y both to 100% are weird. I changed Y to 75% since I was somehow looking up or down just when I wanted to rotate.
2)is there a way to add stick time based acceleration? Like, when you rotate max for a second or two, the camera would speed up. I like using lower stick responsiveness but then it's too slow to rotate whole way around.
Anyway - It plays good as it is already with official layout +disabled gyro. I am just not a gyro fan
If you set the controller profile to "gamepad With Joystick Trackpad" It will present the controller as an xbox controller, with both analog sticks as xbox analog sticks. Assuming he game accepts stick inputs, it will work as intended. you may need to restart the game once you've change the controller profile for it to register you are using a controller instead of M&K

Apocryphon

Thanks in advance!
1. The dpad isn't great and I don't think it's good for fighting games. It's serviceable.

2. Loading times are OK. You don't notice any real difference vs the SSD in the 256 and 512 models. As I understand it, the 64gb models SSD isn't as fast. The Deck only supports UHS-I speeds, so you don't need to have a super fast card. I'd still get a UHS-II V60 card though as the download speeds are faster.

3. Deus Ex and Thief both work fine. Thief runs best when Proton is set to Experimental, but that's not an issue. Not sure about EAX support.

4. Framerates depend on the game. Games like Doom 2016 and Eternal will run on high settings at 60fps, I usually set games to 40hz anyway as it feels smoother than 30 and either extends the battery life or allows you to run games at higher settings. I'm running The Ascent at almost max settings and 40fps, DMC5 at close to max settings and 60fps, RE2 on high at 40fps, Wolfenstein New Order on max settings at 60fps (this game doesn't like being locked to 40), MK11 max settings and 60fps, Arkham Knight at max settings and 40fps etc etc..

Basically you'll be able to play games at settings that look better than PS4/Xbox One at equal or higher framerates. You can set mesh and texture quality as high as you like, only having to concede on volumetric effects, particle effects, or shadow quality in some games to keep the framerate locked. Obviously it varies by game, but regardless, you won't be disappointed with the performance.

5. I think so. It's certainly smoother than 30. I'd say it feels closer to 60 than 30 but that it depends on the game. I play most of my games at 40 on the Deck and I have been more than happy with it.

6. I take it to work everyday, use it in the bathroom, and use it in the lounge while we watch TV. I bought the Jsaux dock for my office at work so it's being used heavily. My Steam backlog is nuts and this thing has allowed me to make a not insignificant dent in it.

7. Congratulations!

Apocryphon

Depends on if the game has official controller support, and whether they bothered to make it work perfectly. Half Life 2 feels weird. I had to do a lot of tinkering before I was happy enough with it, and even then it isn't as precise as I'd like. I tried using the right touchpad but I struggle with that too and I don't do gyro so I've had to make do with the sticks. Games like Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, BioShock, Prodeus etc work perfectly with the sticks, but some older games like Half Life and Unreal Gold are just using the sticks to emulate the mouse. Frustrating at times but most games are perfectly playable.

TintoConCasera

1. The dpad isn't great and I don't think it's good for fighting games. It's serviceable.

2. Loading times are OK. You don't notice any real difference vs the SSD in the 256 and 512 models. As I understand it, the 64gb models SSD isn't as fast. The Deck only supports UHS-I speeds, so you don't need to have a super fast card. I'd still get a UHS-II V60 card though as the download speeds are faster.

3. Deus Ex and Thief both work fine. Thief runs best when Proton is set to Experimental, but that's not an issue. Not sure about EAX support.

4. Framerates depend on the game. Games like Doom 2016 and Eternal will run on high settings at 60fps, I usually set games to 40hz anyway as it feels smoother than 30 and either extends the battery life or allows you to run games at higher settings. I'm running The Ascent at almost max settings and 40fps, DMC5 at close to max settings and 60fps, RE2 on high at 40fps, Wolfenstein New Order on max settings at 60fps (this game doesn't like being locked to 40), MK11 max settings and 60fps, Arkham Knight at max settings and 40fps etc etc..

Basically you'll be able to play games at settings that look better than PS4/Xbox One at equal or higher framerates. You can set mesh and texture quality as high as you like, only having to concede on volumetric effects, particle effects, or shadow quality in some games to keep the framerate locked. Obviously it varies by game, but regardless, you won't be disappointed with the performance.

5. I think so. It's certainly smoother than 30. I'd say it feels closer to 60 than 30 but that it depends on the game. I play most of my games at 40 on the Deck and I have been more than happy with it.

6. I take it to work everyday, use it in the bathroom, and use it in the lounge while we watch TV. I bought the Jsaux dock for my office at work so it's being used heavily. My Steam backlog is nuts and this thing has allowed me to make a not insignificant dent in it.

7. Congratulations!
Thanks man! Sad to hear about the dpad, but quite happy with everything else you said.

Wish you hadn't answered tho, since now I can't fucking wait for my deck to arrive. :lollipop_content:

rofif

Banned
Depends on if the game has official controller support, and whether they bothered to make it work perfectly. Half Life 2 feels weird. I had to do a lot of tinkering before I was happy enough with it, and even then it isn't as precise as I'd like. I tried using the right touchpad but I struggle with that too and I don't do gyro so I've had to make do with the sticks. Games like Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, BioShock, Prodeus etc work perfectly with the sticks, but some older games like Half Life and Unreal Gold are just using the sticks to emulate the mouse. Frustrating at times but most games are perfectly playable.
Yes it can be difficult to know and tell the game that I want real game pad with joystick and blur emulated mouse.
I will try keefged4 keefged4 method tomorrow

keefged4

Yes it can be difficult to know and tell the game that I want real game pad with joystick and blur emulated mouse.
I will try keefged4 keefged4 method tomorrow
Half life 2 requires you to set the input to controller in the games options for this to work. Honestly though you are better using the K&B controls and use the trackpad for aiming. once you get used to it you'll never want to use a joystick again haha

rofif

Banned
Half life 2 requires you to set the input to controller in the games options for this to work. Honestly though you are better using the K&B controls and use the trackpad for aiming. once you get used to it you'll never want to use a joystick again haha
You recommend trackpad with ball behaviour? I can never decide if I want my trackpad fast or slow

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Thanks in advance!
1. Buy it

Griffon

Thanks in advance!
1. I'd say it's better than Xbox dpads, it will work very comfortably for 2d games and menus. As for fighting games, it's decent but not as good as Playstation dpads.
2. Very fast. You'd be hard pressed to notice a major difference with internal SSD load times.
3. Thief always needs a bit of tinkering to run, but note that it's actually easier to run on Deck than on PC.
4. PS4 era games run perfectly, at equal or higher framerates.
5. 40fps is buttery smooth and much closer in feel to 60 than 30. People praising the mode for Ratchet PS5 weren't joking, it's really good.
6. I'm playing 80% or my games on Deck. I've been playing and finishing entire games I've never thought I would finally get to.

Last edited:

Sausy1987

Anyone any suggestions i'm stuck . Can't get any sound on steam deck while using remote play on ps5 via chiaki. I get sound on phone while using remote play so its a chiaki/steam deck issue.

Kupfer

Anyone any suggestions i'm stuck . Can't get any sound on steam deck while using remote play on ps5 via chiaki. I get sound on phone while using remote play so its a chiaki/steam deck issue.
Had the same issue while hot plugging my headphones via the 3.5mm connector in and out. Found a solution but can't remember it right now, will look into it when I'm home again.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This thing is mind blowing. Fast becoming my favourite console...but I do have a day one steam account with like 600 games.

Sick device gg valve.

My only dream, please, please make an oled model or even better release an oled screen that you can install yourself or pay to have Valve install it at a repair centre. Makes me wish I'd never got an oled switch because I've been tainted.

rofif

Banned
This thing is mind blowing. Fast becoming my favourite console...but I do have a day one steam account with like 600 games.

Sick device gg valve.

My only dream, please, please make an oled model or even better release an oled screen that you can install yourself or pay to have Valve install it at a repair centre. Makes me wish I'd never got an oled switch because I've been tainted.
yeah I would get an official oled replacement!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Does anyone know if running a game from GOG via heroic launcher makes it perform worse than the Steam version? Do I have access to things like Steam community configs, etc.?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

My Deck has been packaged. How long until arrival? I'm starting to get kinda hyped you know. :lollipop_content:

It's kinda weird tho. I just spent 550€ on a device that won't allow me to play more games since I already have a PC but, at the same time, I know I'll play a lot of games on the Deck that otherwise could stay forever in my backlog, like Rain World, Crosscode, Morrowind and many more.

Which was your first game on the Deck? Sounds a bit like a meme but I'm considering trying out Crysis first just to see how far can this device go.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Does anyone know if running a game from GOG via heroic launcher makes it perform worse than the Steam version? Do I have access to things like Steam community configs, etc.?
Platform shouldn't impact the game, I don't think. I believe if you run the executable through Steam, the overlay and whatnot should work.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Platform shouldn't impact the game, I don't think. I believe if you run the executable through Steam, the overlay and whatnot should work.
Ok, so I add the heroic launcher itself to steam, launch it this way, then launch the game? I’m asking since I have a few games on GOG.

Top Bottom