• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sup bros, currently having some trouble with Family Share.

I've been sharing my Steam library with my bro for some time now, and always worked just great on PC. Thing is, yesterday I enabled it on my Deck, and the first weird thing that happened is that my bro's library didn't appear on my Deck until I logged into my Steam account on PC. "Weird" I thought, "but as a long as it works, who cares?".

Thing is, now his games disappear everytime I reset or even suspend my Deck, and need to log again into the PC client to make them appear again, which is far away from being ideal.

Any clue on what might be happening?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Deck now supports custom resolutions for internal/external displays, meaning you can supersample on the Deck itself if you from a higher res down to the Deck's native 1280x800. I tried out Spider-Man at 1920x1200. It does looks more crisp, but I probably wouldn't play like that due to the frame rate hit.
OKJkK1y.jpg

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Can you install and Play games from EA Origin? I don't give a shit about Origin but I got Mass Effect, Need for Speed and I think Grid Legends free from Amazon Prime...

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Can you install and Play games from EA Origin? I don't give a shit about Origin but I got Mass Effect, Need for Speed and I think Grid Legends free from Amazon Prime...
Second this, I have some games on epic, gog, ea, ubisoft and gamepass that I would like to play but got no clue how to do it haha

Can I organize them within steamOS? Like give them their own artwork etc. Sorry for the noob question.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yes, you can install games from other launchers on Steam Deck. It's not as straightforward as doing it on Windows, but it's possible. I was using Heroic Launcher back in the day, but from videos I've been watching it's possible to install the launchers through Steam in desktop mode as well. I'll be honest, I haven't tried Origin games in SteamOS, so I'm not exactly sure how well it works. I'm dual-booting SteamOS+Win10, so I run EGS, Origin, and GP PC via Windows.

Heroic Launcher...

Launchers through Steam...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anybody else has that bug where you try to change the volume but you cant, and that shit about echo-cancel-sink is displayed on screen instead of the actual audio device? Weird stuff.

Chukhopops

Anybody else has that bug where you try to change the volume but you cant, and that shit about echo-cancel-sink is displayed on screen instead of the actual audio device? Weird stuff.
Happens to me when I plug headphones then unplug them. But then you can go in the quick menu and change the sound volume from there.

Speaking of weird bugs, the most annoying one is when you go into desktop mode and somehow your key bindings go back to normal and you have to press on the trackpad to click. So fucking annoying.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Lots of games for only a dollar over at Fanatical.

Title​
Reviews​
Product Price (USD)​
Modes​
HLTB​
Cards​
Steam Deck​
ProtonDB​
84% with 906 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
96% with 34912 reviews (Overwhelmingly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Verified​
93% with 5762 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
95% with 3413 reviews (Overwhelmingly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
87% with 8337 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Verified​
74% with 91 reviews (Mostly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player/Shared and Split Screen Co-op​
Yes​
Unknown​
94% with 190 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
92% with 2722 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player/Online PvP & Co-op​
Yes​
Playable​
84% with 2009 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Gold
89% with 721 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
Gold
91% with 7551 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unsupported​
Gold
77% with 2070 reviews (Mostly Positive)​
$11​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unknown​
57% with 408 reviews (Mixed)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Gold
89% with 276 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
88% with 2478 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
Gold

Persona 5 Strikers - Digital Deluxe Edition — Star Deal​

Name​
Discount​
Steam Rating​
Modes​
HLTB​
Cards​
Steam Deck​
ProtonDB​
-68%​
Steam 93% with 8065 reviews (Very Positive)​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unsupported​

Holammer

Lots of games for only a dollar over at Fanatical.

Title​
Reviews​
Product Price (USD)​
Modes​
HLTB​
Cards​
Steam Deck​
ProtonDB​
84% with 906 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
96% with 34912 reviews (Overwhelmingly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Verified​
93% with 5762 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
95% with 3413 reviews (Overwhelmingly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Playable​
87% with 8337 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Verified​
74% with 91 reviews (Mostly Positive)​
$1​
Single-player/Shared and Split Screen Co-op​
Yes​
Unknown​
94% with 190 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
Multiple Games​
92% with 2722 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player/Online PvP & Co-op​
Yes​
Playable​
84% with 2009 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Gold
89% with 721 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
Gold
91% with 7551 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unsupported​
Gold
77% with 2070 reviews (Mostly Positive)​
$11​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unknown​
57% with 408 reviews (Mixed)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Unknown​
Gold
89% with 276 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
88% with 2478 reviews (Very Positive)​
$1​
Single-player​
No​
Playable​
Gold

Persona 5 Strikers - Digital Deluxe Edition — Star Deal​

Name​
Discount​
Steam Rating​
Modes​
HLTB​
Cards​
Steam Deck​
ProtonDB​
-68%​
Steam 93% with 8065 reviews (Very Positive)​
Single-player​
Yes​
Unsupported​
Get the Deponia collection, it's the best love story ever told in the video game medium. There aren't many, but it's still the best.

Filben

Anyone know what gamepass runs like installing windows to a microsd card runs like?
Jepp, tried it out and it worked fine.

However, Valve's fan curve introduced a view updates back doesn't work on Windows because it's controlled by SteamOS. Means, Windows has the old curve and the fan is permanently on and noticeable, even in Desktop mode only. This is actually a no no for me because it's just annoying.

As of now there's also no option to control the fan via Windows due to the lack of drivers.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, this is new. Been playing several games in the Deck tonight, and just now tried to turn the volume down. Instead of it doing that, it pops up a slider that does nothing to the volume with text of "echo-cancel-sink".

No biggie, and I bet a reboot fixes it, but funny nonetheless.

Edit - Hah yep, reboot fixed it

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
F79EG9T.jpg

Well that was fast

Shit feels premium. And it should run 3440x1440@120 as it is DP1.4

My other third party dock is only 1.2

Fun for older pc games on the deck😊
I wonder if i can drive VFR screens too. Set them at 40hz like the steam deck screen.

If anything i like the fact it looks nice and i have a spare high quality charger.

Last edited:
Well, this is new. Been playing several games in the Deck tonight, and just now tried to turn the volume down. Instead of it doing that, it pops up a slider that does nothing to the volume with text of "echo-cancel-sink".

No biggie, and I bet a reboot fixes it, but funny nonetheless.

Edit - Hah yep, reboot fixed it
This happens now and again with several games... hope, it will be adressed in one of the next updates.

I got a third party dock and am very happy with it. has all the thingamajags and fiddling with desktop mode is aeons better than with my stumpy fingers on the machine itself.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Got mine yesterday and spent most of the day getting things up and running via YouTube tutorials etc, half the fun with it is getting your stuff working.

This thing is a GeForce Now powerhouse it runs games flawlessly and probably better than on my laptop or Shield it’s basically native it’s fun to compare something like Dying Light with the native version both play great but GFN uses significantly less power and looks a lot better.

Remote play is decent but I’m finding it’s the worst of the streaming options , something about the decoder makes the video stream look a bit rough but I know there are settings in Chiaki I can mess with.

Xbox Cloud streaming is much like GFN not as pin sharp but close , playing Horizon in 60fps and on a handheld was an amazing experience, I’ll try remote play for Xbox next.

Native games are excellent but it’s better for slightly older titles for example I can see myself playing and finishing Mafia 2 on deck as it’s 60fps and looks so nice and solid.

Great machine.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Amazon Prime Deals for Oct. 11-12th started, so if you have Prime you can get SanDisk 1TB Ultra A1 for $98, 512GB for $44, 400GB for $32. SanDisk 1TB Extreme A2 for $128.

I'm tempted to grab a 400GB for $32 for when I get another Deck for my oldest son. Might just give him my 512GB Teamgroup and upgrade myself to a 1TB around Black Friday. I dunno.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Just came to realize I basically spent 500€ to play games while lying down. Which sounds silly but lets be honest, it's the epitome of comfy.

917.png

Less silly things: still messing around with Dark Forces, trying to have a setup that works great for any DOS game. I've kinda ditched Proton for that since apparently the compatibility layer called Boxtron is much better. I dunno about that, haven't been able to get Dark Forces to run at 60fps unless I turn down the graphics, but what's true is that it consumes much less battery than before. Still need to tinker more with it, I'm sure I'm missing some config somewhere.

By the way, setting it up was kind of a pain, so I'm leaving here a post I found on reddit that explains how to do it:
After trying several methods I got it working. I know this is an old post, but I'm posting the steps here just in case someone googles this in the future:
  1. Install Boxtron using proton-qt (proton-qt can be found in the discover app)
  2. Install dosbox staging from the discover app / flathub (note it has to be the staging version)
  3. Restart steam to get it reload the compatibility layer
  4. Apply the compatibility layer Boxtron to your desired game
  5. Launch the game. It will not work, but it will create the /home/deck/.config/boxtron.conf file
  6. Edit the file /home/deck/.config/boxtron.conf and at the end of it append the following line: cmd = flatpak run --filesystem=%install\_dir% io.github.dosbox-staging
This should get boxtron running and using your dosbox flatpak version

In the meantime, I'm still going through Morrowind (level 6 already wohooo) and DOOM 3, which runs and looks like a dream on the Deck.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm consistently amazed at how many games work so well on the Deck. I don't think I've run into a game yet that was unplayable, though I obviously have not tried to run a game listed as unplayable.

Still working through Session and I think I will 100% it. It's so rewarding and the closest to a skateboarding simulation I've played.
Started up Yoku's Island Express and it plays quite well. Not sure if I will continue onward or just let it be. It's very chill, so this might be my wind down for the day game. Session has been scratching that itch lately, despite the difficulty.
Got about halfway through Golf Club Wasteland. I was enjoying the relaxing nature of it, but it gets pretty stressful with precision toward this point. I like the game so I might just keep trudging through.

n the meantime, I'm still going through Morrowind (level 6 already wohooo) and DOOM 3, which runs and looks like a dream on the Deck.
Morrowind on handheld has my interest piqued, but I really don't want to lose another 100 hours on a game that has already consumed several times that. It's the only Elder Scrolls game that I enjoy. Oblivion and Skyrim did nothing for me and I quit both prior to the 100 hour mark.

TintoConCasera

Just configured GZDoom in a few minutes thanks to this video:

Dude seems to be having trouble with controls and don't explain how to fix it. What I did was NOT enabling controlling support, and on Steam telling ZDL to use the Keyboard (WASD) + Mouse config. Just with that the game already controls nicely.

Next up, trying out Brutal DOOM. Never gave that mod too much attention on PC but I'm curious to see it running on the Deck.

Morrowind on handheld has my interest piqued, but I really don't want to lose another 100 hours on a game that has already consumed several times that. It's the only Elder Scrolls game that I enjoy. Oblivion and Skyrim did nothing for me and I quit both prior to the 100 hour mark.
It's my first time properly playing it, as I gave it some chances in the past but never got too far. This time I'm about 10 hours in, and the only thing I'm not liking so far is not having a lot of agency when it comes to quests, like you barely have any choices. Tht might change later I guess but if it doesn't it's not a huge issue tbh.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's my first time properly playing it, as I gave it some chances in the past but never got too far. This time I'm about 10 hours in, and the only thing I'm not liking so far is not having a lot of agency when it comes to quests, like you barely have any choices. Tht might change later I guess but if it doesn't it's not a huge issue tbh.
I would lose track of quests my first time playing. I had to take notes to keep track of everything. :messenger_downcast_sweat: I loved that the quests had no markers and only gave you a description of where to head, not necessarily where to start.

I think there are non-NPC initiated quests, like dungeon exploration. Obviously some dungeons are tied to NPC quests and you can actually fuck those quests up if you are meant to not kill or to bring a specific item. I remember selling one item and needing to hop around to find the vendor I sold it to. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The guilds will offer a ton of quests, but you need to get to (I think) Balmora before seeing the guilds. I can't believe I remember that town name. I haven't touched Morrowind for like 15 years.

Hellmaker

Yea I had it, but I just went to desktop mode and chose the right sound output again in the lower right corner settings and never had a problem since.

Bought crysis remastered to play on the deck, runs surprising great. 60fps on low settings which still look good, and 50 on medium. Although I didn't get to the heavy action stuff so time will tell if those hold up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone try remote with someone on deck? I want to try and invite a friend who has a deck to play games on my PC and see how the highest settings look.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Steam is "preparing my items to ship".

huJmPXfeir5JlpPAx0.gif

Chauffeur onderweg! Chauffeur onderweg! It will be delivered this morning. Whoop, whoop!

Edit: 1.5 hours later I'm a happy Deck owner. My games are going places (sofa, bed, toilet etc.)!

Another edit: this is the most I was impressed with gaming tech since the first time I've played PSP. Wow.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition looks and plays great on Deck. Using the most popular community controller config with the trackpads tuned a bit more to my liking. This game (as well as Baldur's Gate EE) have some weird resolution and UI related issues that I couldn't ever fix to my liking on HD or > monitor, but all those issues melt away when playing on the Deck. Makes me want to buy a small 1200x800 monitor/display just for older games, something roughly twice the size of the Deck screen (the old 10 inch LCD I was using died a few weeks ago).

Last edited:

Marchizmo

It seems I'm getting crashes on different games usually at the start menu. The screen will blink to black for a second or two then return to what was on the screen, the audio still plays but I can't control anything. Anyone familiar with this?

Filben

It seems I'm getting crashes on different games usually at the start menu. The screen will blink to black for a second or two then return to what was on the screen, the audio still plays but I can't control anything. Anyone familiar with this?
Are these games Deck certified? Are you using certain Proton versions? What games is it specifically you have these issues with? Are these game running from an SD card?

Marchizmo

All of the games are on the SSD, some are fully verified some are not. In some games it would happen right at the menu and changing protons worked but the issue would maybe happen after a while of playing. I was getting it in Dead Cells after maybe 45 minutes of random playing. Right at the start of sniper elite 4 but got it to play using a different proton. It happens right after the main menu loads in For the king, that is unplayable. It also just randomly restarts on me in the middle of playing where it shows the small bar at the bottom and the steamdeck icon saying verifying something then powers off. It was also doing it a lot on multiverses when I first got it but seemed to stop, so I'm hoping it's more software than hardware.

Last edited:

Filben

All of the games are on the SSD, some are fully verified some are not. In some games it would happen right at the menu and changing protons worked but the issue would maybe happen after a while of playing. I was getting it in Dead Cells after maybe 45 minutes of random playing. Right at the start of sniper elite 4 but got it to play using a different proton. It happens right after the main menu loads in For the king, that is unplayable. It also just randomly restarts on me in the middle of playing where it shows the small bar at the bottom and the steamdeck icon saying verifying something then powers off. It was also doing it a lot on multiverses when I first got it but seemed to stop, so I'm hoping it's more software than hardware.
Since this issue doesn't seem game specific and we can rule out a faulty SD card I'd recommend to do a factory reset.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Try launching them in desktop mode and see if that works. Arkham City used to crash and black screen on me in game mode, but in desktop mode it ran, then when I played it in game mode it worked.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Valves has submitted fro registration of the trade mark "Neon Prime"

Mark For: NEON PRIME™ trademark registration is intended to cover the categories of computer game software, electronic game software, video game software, computer game programs downloadable via the internet.

dolabla

Got mine coming today. Super excited. Anybody know if original COD4 Modern Warfare works out of the box? Really got a craving to play the campaign.

Last edited:
Top Bottom