• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

StereoVsn

Hello folks. I'm thinking in trading my switch oled for a Steamdeck 64gb.

Is that model worthy without the ssd? Some thoughs?
Buy the 64GB model and pick up 512 gb SSD which are not expensive now. Install will take you like 15 min. Plus another 30 to reimage.

Then get 512gb or 1tb SD card and you are good to go (recommend SanDisk extreme version or the "purple" Samsung card for better write speed).

Edit: Note that this won't be as plug and play as Switch. You will need to tinker a bit here and there.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Just got Legacy of Kain Defiance since I loved the game back on ps2 and started playing last night on the Deck. Nostalgia overload is an understatement; imo, the game still holds up to this day and absolutely love the voice acting. Picked it up for 1€ so I'm super happy about it.

I also got The Outer Wilds and Journey since I haven't tried them yet and from all the hype online, I'm in for a treat!

Filben

Hello folks. I'm thinking in trading my switch oled for a Steamdeck 64gb.

Is that model worthy without the ssd? Some thoughs?
Keep the Switch for Nintendo only games. Despite what people tell you about Switch emulation, 80% of commercial games running doesn't mean they run well. Also, it's not as easy as getting a SNES Rom to run on it. It's, as someone mentioned earlier, not as plug in and play as the Switch.

As for the model, I went for the 64gb model and bought a 1TB sd card. Works exceptionally well. If there will be games really benefiting from an Nvme in the future you can always upgrade. But honestly, the benefit right now is very specific to certain games and most benchmarks found online don't see huge improvements. Of course they didn't test every game and who knows what game will benefit greatly or what the future brings but you'll always have the option to upgrade.

The 64GB model is perfect for the portable PC entry, especially due to the modular upgrade options of the Deck. I'd also recommend protective glass from dbrand. They have a little anti reflection coating on it, making it closer to the 512GB model display wise (had both models side by side here) , and it has an anti oil coating, reducing the finger prints on the display (they don't prevent it completely, though) and adds protection to the screen.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Keep the Switch for Nintendo only games. Despite what people tell you about Switch emulation, 80% of commercial games running doesn't mean they run well. Also, it's not as easy as getting a SNES Rom to run on it. It's, as someone mentioned earlier, not as plug in and play as the Switch.

As for the model, I went for the 64gb model and bought a 1TB sd card. Works exceptionally well. If there will be games really benefiting from an Nvme in the future you can always upgrade. But honestly, the benefit right now is very specific to certain games and most benchmarks found online don't see huge improvements. Of course they didn't test every game and who knows what game will benefit greatly or what the future brings but you'll always have the option to upgrade.

The 64GB model is perfect for the portable PC entry, especially due to the modular upgrade options of the Deck. I'd also recommend protective glass from dbrand. They have a little anti reflection coating on it, making it closer to the 512GB model display wise (had both models side by side here) , and it has an anti oil coating, reducing the finger prints on the display (they don't prevent it completely, though) and adds protection to the screen.
If you can run emulators on your pc, you can run them on your Deck. RetroArch makes the whole process easy and doesn't require a monthly subscription. Having Steam Cloud support means I jump jump across devices and my game save files are there seamlessly. Nintendo online also only goes up to the N64.

SCB3

If you can run emulators on your pc, you can run them on your Deck. RetroArch makes the whole process easy and doesn't require a monthly subscription. Having Steam Cloud support means I jump jump across devices and my game save files are there seamlessly. Nintendo online also only goes up to the N64.
Man RetroArch has come a long way, I remember using it when RSPC3 was still barely working

On a side note its finally tracking and on the way

Kupfer

Finished up The Last Campfire. It was decent but man, it was not a good game to play right after Tunic. The puzzles were like child's play after Tunic. Great art style was even less interesting when comparing. Exploration felt so constricted. I think it would normally be a 7 or 8/10 for me.

On Act 2 in Norco. The writing is decent but the pacing is a bit weird. There are moments where you just have to wait to advance the text that get excessive. A couple of characters so far have been highlights, including this one.

Playing Norco as well, wanted to give it a shot ince I only heard good things about it.
The atmophere, artstyle and music is beautiful and like you said, the pacing is off sometimes.
I'm in act 3 now and I want to finish it but I have to force myself to keep playing it.
It's interesting, but unfortunately doesn't keep me as interested as I had hoped.

6SZQS6m.png
One of my my highlights so far.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Playing Norco as well, wanted to give it a shot ince I only heard good things about it.
The atmophere, artstyle and music is beautiful and like you said, the pacing is off sometimes.
I'm in act 3 now and I want to finish it but I have to force myself to keep playing it.
It's interesting, but unfortunately doesn't keep me as interested as I had hoped.

One of my my highlights so far.
My interest in finishing is pretty high at the end of act 2 but I am worried about it falling off at the end here. I also picked it up due to the high praise. I'll be honest, I don't exactly see why it's so well regarded in comparison to other point-and-click titles. I suppose perhaps it's just a miracle that good PNC titles are still coming out in this age.

GermanZepp

I can't keep the Switch, i'm going to give it has part of paiment. The Steam Deck 64GB is $1064 US dolars in my country.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Art of Rally is at a 40% discount. Damn this offer, I've bought so much over the last 2 days ... must resist.
It's very good. But has a high learning curve at the beginning. On of my favorite deck games and it also looks gorgeous on my big tv.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
what is the easiest way to install diablo 3 on my steam deck ?
Probably with a Switch emulator? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Looking at some Youtube tutorials, you should be able to install the battle.net client in desktop mode, then add the EXE as a non-Steam game to Steam just like normal. The problem you're going to run into is that the PC version of Diablo 3 doesn't have controller support, so you'll need to either manually map the buttons as needed or simply live with the Deck's standard trackpad/should button mouse emulation.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Probably with a Switch emulator? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Looking at some Youtube tutorials, you should be able to install the battle.net client in desktop mode, then add the EXE as a non-Steam game to Steam just like normal. The problem you're going to run into is that the PC version of Diablo 3 doesn't have controller support, so you'll need to either manually map the buttons as needed or simply live with the Deck's standard trackpad/should button mouse emulation.
Hmm shame.

I did manage to run diablo 2 R on my deck.
But then it suddenly didn’t work.

I wondered if there are easier ways but it seems it’s still kinda hacky.

As far as switch emulation goes.
I want to do seasons.. so that’s a no.
There is a way to use my console key to still get online but i think that’s kinda dangerous.

Griffon

what is the easiest way to install diablo 3 on my steam deck ?
Download the battlenet windows installer on your deck, add it as a non-steam game to steam, launch the installer with proton enabled and install battlenet.
Then you need to go find in the steam files where the virtual windows directory dedicated to the installer is located (that's the tricky part, I don't remember where it is, look it up). Find the installed battlenet folder and add the .exe to steam. Run it with proton enabled: you now got Battlenet in steam.

I've been playing Diablo 2 Remastered in perfect conditions on my Deck for a while.

Edit: NVM you've already done it apparently.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Has anyone played Arcade Paradise on the Deck? It's been on my wishlist since it released and is now on sale.

I'm curious of the controls of many different arcade cabs translate to the Deck.

drotahorror

Art of Rally is at a 40% discount. Damn this offer, I've bought so much over the last 2 days ... must resist.

Just grabbed that the other day and Ridge Racer Unbounded.

You can get Ridge Racer Unbounded for about $2-3. I know at the time it wasn't received very well but it runs great on the Deck and honestly it's very fun! I would have bought this back then had I known how fun it was. It's basically Burnout mixed with Split Second. Quite the change.

Does not support cloud saves.

Art of Rally is so good though, played it for 5 or 6 hours. I 100% all the free roam islands, lots of fun trying out different cars and stuff. Japan is amazing.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Has anyone played Arcade Paradise on the Deck? It's been on my wishlist since it released and is now on sale.

I'm curious of the controls of many different arcade cabs translate to the Deck.
I'm not sure about the game's compatibility with the Deck, but wanted to point out it's part of this month's Prestige bundle at Fanatical

Two games for $15, and includes Arcade Paradise in the list.

SCB3

Mine finally came at a random delivery today, good thing I work from home!

I must say this is impressive, installed the Cryoutilities, EmuDeck and a bunch of games so far, Midnight suns runs fantastic and is a perfect Deck game so far

Jrecard

Just grabbed that the other day and Ridge Racer Unbounded.

You can get Ridge Racer Unbounded for about $2-3. I know at the time it wasn't received very well but it runs great on the Deck and honestly it's very fun! I would have bought this back then had I known how fun it was. It's basically Burnout mixed with Split Second. Quite the change.

Does not support cloud saves.

Art of Rally is so good though, played it for 5 or 6 hours. I 100% all the free roam islands, lots of fun trying out different cars and stuff. Japan is amazing.

Unbounded is a decent arcade driving game but a terrible Ridge Racer game hence the poor reception, completely departed from what everybody wanted from RR. If we could get a 4, 5, or 6 remake (or something else made in the same style) I'd cream. Shame this franchise has just been left to die.

Man it is crazy how many recently released heavy AAA games there are on that list, deck is a beast to handle them even at 720/30.

jshackles

Been playing a shit ton of Slay the Spire on my Deck, glad to see it made the top list because the game is excellent and the Deck plays it perfectly.

GHG

Gold Member
Been playing a shit ton of Slay the Spire on my Deck, glad to see it made the top list because the game is excellent and the Deck plays it perfectly.

Roguebook has been my go to deck builder since I got my deck. It's probably one of the less talked about games of this type but I highly recommend it, it's on sale at the moment as well:

krumble

Unbounded is a decent arcade driving game but a terrible Ridge Racer game hence the poor reception, completely departed from what everybody wanted from RR. If we could get a 4, 5, or 6 remake (or something else made in the same style) I'd cream. Shame this franchise has just been left to die.

Man it is crazy how many recently released heavy AAA games there are on that list, deck is a beast to handle them even at 720/30.

RR7 is pretty solid via ps3 emulation to be honest..

7c6482b609e57c03786b913899023f2b80dc756a.gif

This looks so cool! I've tried out various shaders/bezels that EmuDeck/RetroArch provides.
I like anything along the lines of aperture grill-style CRT shaders, but I haven't found a bezel that I've liked 100%. Hopefully this package changes that!

amigastar

So what you guys think. Will Diablo 4 run well on Steam Deck? I think it will. Looking at the modest requirements.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Did I mention I love my big ole Deck? I touch it and play with it all the time.

Currently playing Fire Emblem Radiant dawn through Dolphin. Path of radiance was one of my favorite gamecube games yet I never played this before.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

It's cool they're supporting this on SteamOS. I've tried DOOM Eternal with RT and DLSS-to-FSR 2 on Deck through Win10. Couldn't get it close enough to 60fps for it to be worth it, especially given the visual downgrade. Just tried it on Deck and it a similar situation. Without DLSS(I've never tried the DLSS-to-FSR 2 tools on SteamOS) the Deck's FSR mode with a res like 960x600 or lower is your best bet. Even then you're only looking at a ~40fps experience with mostly low with a few medium and high settings thrown in. You can use the Deck 40fps cap/40Hz refresh or in-game Vsync/40Hz refresh, but the increase in input latency is noticeable. Better off just leaving it un-synced and uncapped at 60Hz refresh.

That said, it's fun to play around with. Mostly on DOOM Hunter Base where there's a lot of reflective surfaces. I prefer shooting for either 1152x720(FSR)/60fps(High settings) for "Quality Mode", or 960x600(FSR, Dynamic Res 120fps target)/120fps(Low with a few Medium and High settings) for "Performance Mode". You're really paying the price for the RT reflections, though. Going from 128fps to 50fps in these screens with the flick of a switch:
-RT OFF-
DOOMEternal-Deck-RT-OFF.jpg

-RT ON-
DOOMEternal-Deck-RT-ON.jpg

Last edited:

7c6482b609e57c03786b913899023f2b80dc756a.gif
Woah, those work on the deck? I use one of the packs on my main PC over my 4k-TV and the light"bleeding"/reflections make this one such a cozy nostalgic visual.

Mr Branding

Another great game that's already been mentioned I'm sure is: Lonely Mountains: Downhill.

This is a good shout. Also bought on Deck and it's super addictive but unfortunately I kinda suck at it with both control schemes.

This Mk12 hype got me installing Mk11 again but I always cringe at that filesize. Still, it's one of my favourite recent fighters so it's a keeper. Super salty they removed Mk9 complete from Steam and didn't get a chance to get it as that one is one of my favourites.

Wrapped up LoK Defiance last night and man, while old school and rudimentary, still a great game with great writing. Moving on to Journey.

Been also meaning to replay DmcV on Deck as I already have it in my backlog but for some strange reason, the game always locks up my Deck or restarts it (it's the only game that does this). Searching the subreddit, I found some other isolated cases but most folks seem to have no problems at all and I'm hoping it's not my console. Is this happening to anyone else?

drotahorror

This Mk12 hype got me installing Mk11 again but I always cringe at that filesize. Still, it's one of my favourite recent fighters so it's a keeper. Super salty they removed Mk9 complete from Steam and didn't get a chance to get it as that one is one of my favourites.

I had just nabbed the final DLC I needed to complete MK11 and installed it a few weeks ago. Didn't play it and noticed there was a new update out and they whole game had to be redownloaded (I don't even know what the update was, there were no patch notes).

Lonely Mountains takes a lot of effort in the beginning. Both that and Descenders I find very hard to be proficient at. Great games though.

Wonder if Riders Republic is any good on deck?

SCB3

So had mine a few days and really enoying the Indie games and the handful of more modern games (Spiderman, WWE 2k22 mainly) and looking forward to emulating some more, I've had a few issues with downloads being really slow but also clogging my internet which is weird and GoG games not working, Cyberpunk for example has no sound but I have it on Xbox anyway so it was only a test tbh

Btw Vampire Survivors, Valhiem and Midnight Suns are damn near perfect for quick pick up and plays, looking forward to finally trying out Stellaris and Factorio on this as well

TaroYamada

I've been playing Atomic Heart on mine lately. Great showcase for the Deck and very well optimized. It and Sonic Frontiers are the only new games I've played on the Deck. I mostly use it to clear older games my backlog. But overall I'd say Atomic Heart and Ryse, which I also played on Deck, impressed me the most visually.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That art of rally game sure looks pretty, I bet it's a looker on the Deck.

Anyway, after beating Like a Dragon: Ishin! I didn't knew what to play next, so I decided to try out some games on the Deck:

Legend of Grimrock II: runs and looks great, also low battery usage. Playing the game without KB&M tho... yeah good luck with that. :goog_relieved:
Dead Space (2008): was curious to check how this one holds up. It's great, and this one doesn't suck your battery up either. There's something about aiming with the stick that I didn't like, like if it had a huge dead zone or something. Still, could be a very cool game on the Deck, specially with gyro aim.
Way of the Samurai 3: weird game, but it runs great. It's capped at 30fps so I guess it'd be easy to save a lot of battery while playing this by limiting the Deck at 30.

Kupfer

Cool and all, nice PoC, but this has to be one of the worst RT on / off comparisons I've ever seen. In fact, no identical side by side comparisons and I couldn't even make out a difference, not even a gamscope - wtf.

To be fair, I'm at work, meaning I watched the video without sound - just in case he apologizes and explains why the comparison is so bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom