• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck owners: How do you decide what to play on Steam Deck versus on PC?

Crayon

In wouldn't say it's about "offending" somebody with something better (or for that matter even necessarily conceding), so much as I don't want to hear somebody with top-tier specs come in here and go off on how I need to check my ego.

I have a coworker who is always one up'ing other people. Say something about a particular hobby, he says he's better. Say something about food, he says it's crap. Say something about a possession (car, electronics, etc.), he says his is better. It gets fucking old, and so every little comment has to come with a disclaimer like "I know [insert name personal possession or skill at something] isn't the best, but..." so he or other people like him don't feel like they got a cue to jump into the conversation and make it about themselves. Probably a futile effort, but it's with the intent to keep those type of people's comments to a minimum.

However, you bring up a valid point that if there's myself, the one upper, and somebody else who is listening who has lesser skill or not as nice possessions, you're right that it may put them off (or offend them).

So you're either trying to mitigate stupid comments from one uppers, or potentially offending somebody else. Unfortunately there's no real winning, but that's pretty much the case with everything in life. It's a zero sum game. Somebody may be winning, but the other person may be "losing" (I put emphasis on that, as it's not necessarily losing, so much as everybody can't be rockstars; having the best of the best stuff or be the best at what they do).

That's more or less exactly what I'm talking about. It could be stopped within by enough other piers tell them to stfu and remind them that they are just that - piers. Another wrinkle tho is that someone into x hobby might enjoy getting on a "ladder" even if they are towards the bottom of it. I don't think it hurts someone with a 3050 as much as someone who is looking at getting into pc in the first place.

The Steam Deck has, I think, revitalised gaming for me. I've got a PC, but it needs updating- I bought it just before GPU prices went crazy and so it's stuck waiting for a new graphics card. The deck has made approaching my back catalogue much more palatable, I find I'm using it more and more, I'm digging into games I'd previously brush off thinking "screw sitting at the desk for that!"

That being said, FPS, I get on the PC. That's just... sacrosanct.

Leonidas

I use Steam Deck for simple games (visual novels, 2D games, older 3D titles, maybe games with a 60fps lock). I use my PC for games that benefit from power, kb/m and/or higher refresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom