• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck Will Target 30fps to Help Save Battery LIfe

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais, the Steam Deck is merely targeting 30fps as the "floor" for what the studio considers playable. As such, this doesn't mean that all titles that come to the Steam Deck will be locked at 30fps. Griffais notes that many games have shown that they can go well above this threshold based on testing that has been done internally. That being said, the Steam Deck itself will have a "built-in FPS limiter to fine-tune [performance] vs. battery life."

So what exactly does this mean? Well, if you want your own games to run at a higher performance level than that of 30fps, you'll just have to go to the options menu and turn off the FPS limiter that Valve will be including with the platform. It's a pretty simple option, but it's also one that makes sense on Valve's behalf to include.

go here:👇
Completely misleading title. Also already posted.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Completely misleading title. It doesn't target 30 fps, it can exceed that so far in the most demanding games. The less demanding the game the more fps it can push. The optional FPS limiter is a separate point and there to fine tune your own perf vs. battery levels per game. Also already posted.
Also I'd say it's most likely you will enable the limiter as you see fit rather than have it enabled by default. It's something everyone would try to find a third party utility for with such a device, rather than have 2D indie games run at 1000fps with tearing and kill the battery as when playing Cyberpunk.

Did someone expect 144fps Ultra settings @ 4K from a portable or what exactly is the deal in order to try and put this under such a negative light and with console style terms that ignorant folks like below and above love bullshitting about when this thing is, once again, a small form portable PC?

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Doesn't matter to me. If I want high intense graphics, I would just play on my pc.
Steam Deck is for old games + visual novels.

elliot5

It's a PC lol how many times is this news bite going to be shared. You can run games at whatever speed you want, valve is just saying you should be able to run everything at 30 minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom