• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Halloween Sale 2015 - Spooky Scary Sales

Link0080

Thinking of getting Alien: Isolation but the deal isn't great on steam so I'm getting it elsewhere.

Should I just get the base game or the collection? DLC any good?

Nzyme32

Sunless Sea - $12.72

Set sail to the deep, a Lovecraftian game about you as captain with a crew at sea, a rogue-like where you must manage your crew and explore, and what happens is up to you. Unearth otherworldly horrors, go mad and eat your crew, explore uncharted waters and fish for supplies, and much more. Also has quite a good story to it.

Alien: Isolation - $24.99

The hide'n'seek game with an intelligent Xenomorph enemy. Has some combat and maybe goes on for a bit longer than it needs to, but has some tense cat-and-mouse gameplay set in the detailed-lore world of Alien, and make the sort of horror game in that universe fans of wanted, mixed with some fun twists on similar hide'n'seek horror games, most of all being the Xenomorph being an interesting enemy itself.

BUY THESE GAMES, THEY ARE AMAZING!

My favourite games of the past 11 months

Cirdan

Neo Member
Was looking at Fran Bow earlier today, but it didn't seem to go on sale.. guess I'll play what I have already.

Pretty nasty to have Alien Isolation priced so high because it was even 12.49€ during summer sale. Guess they are using the season while they can. Glad I got it back then.

Can also vouch for Typing of the Dead being pretty silly fun even if you suck at typing like me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can we please all point and laugh at the Obscure publisher for once again not discount the Obscure games, in a fucking Halloween sale of all things this time?

I couldnt wait for the Binding of Isaac rebirth expansion to come to vita so I picked it up and the base game for 15.00. I was going to have to make a hard decision tonight but the sale put game on sale so it was a no brainer.

For some reason the Escape Goats were good 'n discounted so I got them along with SC for later.

Everyone buy Sunless Sea pls

so good

16ZWVu9.jpg

It is so very lovely a thing, isn't it? The world it paints, I mean?

Whoa, you made a game Dusk? Gonna have to LP that.

Also:

The Coma - $7.49
Sort of a mixture of Corpse Party & White Day: A Labyrinth Named School. You are a Korean student who gets trapped in school at night with a violent murderer you must survive... But is that all that's going on? Good narrative visual novel side, good survival-horror side.

Well I'm sold!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I recommend Sanitarium, a truly classic game.

Sanitarium is a classic, worth checking out.

Will buy dead space 1 and 2 so I can uninstall origin forever.

What I do.

Thinking of getting Alien: Isolation but the deal isn't great on steam so I'm getting it elsewhere.

Should I just get the base game or the collection? DLC any good?

Here's a very interesting video on Isolation's DLC that's worth checking out to see if it's for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXmaTFIY0c

Was looking at Fran Bow earlier today, but it didn't seem to go on sale.. guess I'll play what I have already.

Pretty nasty to have Alien Isolation priced so high because it was even 12.49€ during summer sale. Guess they are using the season while they can. Glad I got it back then.

Can also vouch for Typing of the Dead being pretty silly fun even if you suck at typing like me.

I REALLY wish it went on sale. I loved Fran Bow and wanted to recommend it in this thread. Alas though, no sale. I will say Fran Bow is worth it, though, even if not perfect.

can we please all point and laugh at the Obscure publisher for once again not discount the Obscure games, in a fucking Halloween sale of all things this time?

This too. They put them on sale, but hardly in major sales, which is odd.

Does RE6 have online co-op like 5?

Yup, whole game is two-player co-op.

Sanitarium definitely, Alpha Polaris is a nice little point and click.

And part of the sale or not, I picked up Pathologic HD. FUCK YES.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for the well out together and informative OP! Lots of interesting titles there I plan on giving a shot.

Of course, if it helps people find some new horror games they end up loving, I'm happy.

Whoa, you made a game Dusk? Gonna have to LP that.

Also:

Well I'm sold!

Yai, a little freeware thing, it has some flaws and was a shorter project but was received much better than I expected (though if I were to redo it I'd change some things now with retrospective).

And yes, I'm hoping Coma gets more attention, it's actually pretty good. The White Day vibe I was getting from the game turned out not just to be coincidence, the developer is apparently a big fan of the game as well.

daxy

Have a look at Castaway Paradise (50% off now). A relaxing Animal Crossing-like game to play while your pants are drying after a session of Alien Isolation.

jakomocha

Is Blues and Bullets any good? Just noticed that it's 25% off and it's been a while since I've played a good detective game.
In my opinion, it's very good and it reminds me a lot of TWAU (but with a much bigger focus on the actual investigating part of the story).

Of course, only the first episode is out, and it's certainly got its fair share of jankiness (especially in regards to the animations), but it absolutely nails the noir tone it's aiming for. It may not be for everyone, but it really is a shame that this game is getting almost no attention. The characters in it are likable, there are a few difficult choices, the story is intriguing, and the first episode definitely seems to set itself up for tackling some pretty mature themes later on. Also in terms of "gameplay" it definitely has more then the typical episodic game, with an awesome (albeit somewhat easy) scene where you have to investigate clues to solve a murder, as well as a few on-rails shooting sequences.

Also the soundtrack is amazing and the game looks absolutely phenomenal at times.

It's taking super long for Episode 2 though, hopefully it'll come out soon.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the noob question but how is the steam version of harvester? I know gog does stuff so the games run better on modern systems. Is the steam version equvilient? I heard the original(pre-steam) release was pretty unstable.

I'm hopefully upgrading to pc soon. Was looking to pick this and fear and vtmbl.

Nerrel

It's not NEARLY as bad as some make it out to be. The campaign is very all over the place in terms of quality, but there's a lot of it. There's four different campaigns, each completely unique outside of a few crossover sections, and to complete all four takes about 20-25 hours usually. This, plus Mercenaries and a sort of tacked on but fun for a few rounds 'Play as the monsters in others campaigns' mode, make it quite meaty, especially for that price.

I actually think it's rated right about where it should be. And this is coming from someone who mastered the dodge/roll mechanics and thinks they're a lot of fun to use. The game just gives you horrible, unfun scenarios to play through one after the other.

The best campaign is Leon's, and even that's a mediocre on-rails Michael Bay-directed zombie movie. I still remember leaving the subway and seeing the surface streets full of zombies, broken glass, fires, and feeling like this was going to lead to some classic RE2-RE3 style exploration. Then a bunch of pre-scripted car crashes happened, every available path was blocked by explosions, and I was forced into a brutally linear series of alleys and hallways with even more pre-scripted events. And I consider this the best sequence of the game. Unbelievably lame.

Jake's campaign was the worst to me by far. It felt like High Voltage Software had been allowed to make a Resident Evil game staring a forgettable COD supporting character. It's not worth your time to play the other campaigns even for the sake of curiosity.

vocab

Sorry for the noob question but how is the steam version of harvester? I know gog does stuff so the games run better on modern systems. Is the steam version equvilient? I heard the original(pre-steam) release was pretty unstable.

I'm hopefully upgrading to pc soon. Was looking to pick this and fear and vtmbl.

I have played and beaten the steam version of Harvester. It works fine. The publisher is Nightdive, and they make sure their titles work on both gog and steam.

UrbanRats

Fuck I bought Layers of Fear like, 2 day ago.

Super short and simple but pretty cool horror, also should say, still doesn't have an ending.

BasilZero

There's a lot of great games on sale.

Too bad I wont be able to get into it this year - hopefully we will see repeats during the holiday season :p

Highly recommend L4D2, Dead Rising, Resident Evils and Dark Soul series!

frontovik

Banned
I'd vouch for Alien Isolation and Revelations 2, they're both awesome games.

I'm considering SOMA, but it's still a tad too pricey for me.

Congratulations, Dusk Golem. You've made a better sale page than Valve.

A very useful thread.
16ZWVu9.jpg

It is so very lovely a thing, isn't it? The world it paints, I mean?

Definitely. This is the one thing that jumps out at me from the sale.

Also, in case anyone is unaware, the Sunless Sea devs first made a browser game called Fallen London, which is where the setting comes from. It has the same clever writing as Sunless Sea, but in a fluffier, friendlier, browser-based form. Believe it.

Dusk Golem

Great Op, nothing for me this sale. Its curious to see how indie dominated is the horror genre.

It's something that developed because horror games moved for a while from the big space for years. Horror games also can be made with a lower budget and still be quite good, sort of like horror movies. Budget doesn't make a good horror movie, good execution does. Horror is becoming a thing again with bigger studios and such now, but it might be one of the 'mainstream' genres of games that is heavily dominated by indies simply because there was something like a 10-year gap where horror game releases by bigger studios were sparse at best, and these 10 years just so happened to have included the indie boom.

Top Bottom