• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam reached 27 million concurrent users today breaking their old record

ManaByte

Lots of people turning on their PCs on a holiday weekend and the biggest sale of the year on the platform.
Wow GIF

Holammer

As I said elsewhere, this may be an indication of new Covid lock-downs & restrictions. Steam had big covid fueled concurrents before.
interestingly they actually kept the new users, I thought those old mega concurrents numbers would be hard to topple again.

Stuart360

Isnt the active Steam base like 200 million? So that means over 10% of PC gamers are online.
There are actually 1bil Steam users (even seen estimates of 2bil), but those are just people who have a Steam account, not active PC gamers. Steam has roughly 120mil 'active' Steam users, meaning monthly users that are playing and buying games. The 200mil number is an estimated number that uses all the launchers together (Epic, Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, etc). Thats why you will often see estimates of '200mil PC gamers'.

xStoyax

Banned
What games are responsible for this?
The usual suspects make up Steam's top games by current player count (Valve publishes official data on this). At the time of this article's publication, eternally popular competitive first-person shooter Counter-Strike: Global Offensive topped the chart with an incredible 849,144 concurrent players. Valve's MOBA, Dota 2, was in second with 663,561 concurrents. Battle royale PUBG was in at third with 241,902. Respawn's Apex Legends and Amazon's New World round out the top five.

Grand Theft Auto 5, Team Fortress 2, Rust, MIR4, and the wonderful Wallpaper Engine complete the top 10. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...rent-users-record-with-over-27-million-online

Stuart360

Last edited:

T-Cake

And there was me playing Wolfenstein on my PS4. So I was there in spirit as I could have played the same game on Steam but I chose to get the trophies instead. :p

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Infinite is at no.4 right now with 117k users.

600,868​
941,571​
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
423,251​
680,734​
Dota 2
151,444​
159,939​
New World
117,333​
151,822​
Halo Infinite
102,782​
119,526​
Team Fortress 2
99,854​
107,814​
Rust
95,817​
234,487​
Apex Legends
78,855​
90,095​
MIR4
76,095​
137,450​
Grand Theft Auto V
74,852​
89,818​
Farming Simulator 22
Man, minus Halo and New World, if you showed me this list 3 years ago it would have roughly looked the same 😄. I admire some gamers' abilities to never grow tired of a game.

Stuart360

Man, minus Halo and New World, if you showed me this list 3 years ago it would have roughly looked the same 😄. I admire some gamers' abilities to never grow tired of a game.
Yeah lol. I think its because a lot of users put Steam in offline mode when they are playing single player games. Thats why Cyberpunk is no.1 on the top sellers chart, but only no.61 on the numbers of ingame users chart with 19k.

Wildebeest

The only games there that would have been in the top 10 regularly would be CS:GO, Dota2, Team Fortress 2, and GTA5.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Yeah lol. I think its because a lot of users put Steam in offline mode when they are playing single player games. Thats why Cyberpunk is no.1 on the top sellers chart, but only no.61 on the numbers of ingame users chart with 19k.
That actually makes a ton of sense as I often do this. I'm such a hopeless introvert lol. I wonder if steam has the offline metrics. I'd be so curious to know. Mine would have like 2000+ hours in warhammer 2 TW, Forza, Mechwarrior 5, Valheim, and No Mans Sky to name a few.

kingfey

Banned
If you like something, you will play them for a long time. I played Eso more than skyrim. Eso had more fun. SP games sometimes are empty world.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
If you like something, you will play them for a long time. I played Eso more than skyrim. Eso had more fun. SP games sometimes are empty world.
You know, ESO was one of the bigger mmorpgs I didn't try. Friends tried dragging me to FFXIV, WoW, New World, and BDO. Hated the experience of grinding. Only mmorpg I ever had fun in was gw2. Community was so great there. Would you recommend trying ESO. Do you think it stands out differently from other mmorpgs?

kingfey

Banned
You know, ESO was one of the bigger mmorpgs I didn't try. Friends tried dragging me to FFXIV, WoW, New World, and BDO. Hated the experience of grinding. Only mmorpg I ever had fun in was gw2. Community was so great there. Would you recommend trying ESO. Do you think it stands out differently from other mmorpgs?
It stands out, if you like playing solo.

Eso is like skyrim. You do most quests alone. You can play with friends too if you like it. you have mods too. Makes your journey much easier.

Excess

I oddly purchased COD WaW on Steam today because I was having memories of it with Vanguard. You can still play it online with Plutonium, a dedicated community launcher with private servers. Ironically, I didn't want to play it on 360 because it's full of modders.

Who would've thought? Thanks, PC frens.
iu

jakinov

I don't think a lot of users do switch to offline mode. These top online games have had steady sales for many years and then some have become (or always was free to play so probably won't even count as a purchase anymore. New single play releases will get a spikes at launch and during sales but people don't play right away and people from years ago don't continue to play usually over time whereas you are more likely to find people who bought TF2 or CS:go over 10 years ago who still play today.

Online games are just huge nowadays that's why everyone wants to do GaaS bcause you can get very dedicated fanbases who continue to pour money into your games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It wasn't in the top 10 atm
Why are you trying to downplay how popular Halo Infinite is?
Well I am one of them. F the games keeps pumping good content, then why would I grow tired of it if the base game is awesome?

dorkimoe

20 million idle pc's. My computer is on all the time with steam, havent played a game in a year because waiting for 3080

kingfey

Banned

I doubt that is the case. According to this chart, tons of people are playing online games. there is 1,999,681 players playing 1st page games right now.

on list 500, there are 783 users. There is 25 list on each page. That 500 list is on 20th page.

here is cyberpunk2077 steam chart

Your steam shows your gaming activity, online or not.

xStoyax

Banned

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Infinite is at no.4 right now with 117k users.

600,868​
941,571​
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
423,251​
680,734​
Dota 2
151,444​
159,939​
New World
117,333​
151,822​
Halo Infinite
102,782​
119,526​
Team Fortress 2
99,854​
107,814​
Rust
95,817​
234,487​
Apex Legends
78,855​
90,095​
MIR4
76,095​
137,450​
Grand Theft Auto V
74,852​
89,818​
Farming Simulator 22
A lot of shooters, MOBA and MMO on that list. And have been for eons.

Funny how decades ago, PC gamers would be all about breadth of games.... sports, RPG, strategy games, shooters, RTS etc.... and console games were all about arcadey games and platformers.

Top Bottom