• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam reached 27 million concurrent users today breaking their old record

Stuart360

I doubt that is the case. According to this chart, tons of people are playing online games. there is 1,999,681 players playing 1st page games right now.

on list 500, there are 783 users. There is 25 list on each page. That 500 list is on 20th page.

here is cyberpunk2077 steam chart

Your steam shows your gaming activity, online or not.
No if you put Steam into offline mode it doesnt regester what you are playing on the Steam stats. Its no different than unplugging your internet.
Thats why when you go offline on Steam, it doesnt register the amount of time you have played on whatever game you are playing.
I have loads of games on my account that say like '12 Achievements out of 20', but playtime will show 5mins lol, and thats beause i played said game in offline mode. You actually see this a lot if you go on Steam and just have a look at peoples profiles. Its very handy if you have internet problems, or bandwith caps.

Last edited:

Stuart360

And? It wasn't when the record was broken
Impossible. The right had collumn is the peak users for the day, so Halo at worst was 5th when Steam hit the milestone.
I wasnt having a go at you by the way, so not sure why you got so defensive.

xStoyax

Banned
Impossible. The right had collumn is the peak users for the day, so Halo at worst was 5th when Steam hit the milestone.
I wasnt having a go at you by the way, so not sure why you got so defensive.
It was in the article announcing it https://web.archive.org/web/2021112...rent-users-record-with-over-27-million-online

You can look right now which is about the time the record was broken & Halo isn't in top 10. It moves into the top during peak US hours, but that's not when the record was broken

Holammer

Btw, Steam concurrent peaked again at 27,385,025 users two hours ago.
Roughly 200k higher than yesterday. This is going to continue and happen again next weekend.

kingfey

Banned
There's no stopping this train. Hop on.
train GIF

Dream-Knife

Banned
if valve was publicly traded when steam was released, back in 2003, i would have put everything into it.
If it was public it would have likely been a disaster by now.
A lot of shooters, MOBA and MMO on that list. And have been for eons.

Funny how decades ago, PC gamers would be all about breadth of games.... sports, RPG, strategy games, shooters, RTS etc.... and console games were all about arcadey games and platformers.
Plenty of us play a wide range of games, don't worry.

CitizenZ

Banned
Sophist said:
if valve was publicly traded when steam was released, back in 2003, i would have put everything into it.
If it was public it would have likely been a disaster by now.

Maybe the best, most thoughtful and true answer ever on this site.

Loope

A lot of shooters, MOBA and MMO on that list. And have been for eons.

Funny how decades ago, PC gamers would be all about breadth of games.... sports, RPG, strategy games, shooters, RTS etc.... and console games were all about arcadey games and platformers.
They're still all there, which can't be said for consoles can it?

Kenpachii

Yea its gonna be a doozy

Steam survey doesn't include everyone's PC, u need to allow it.
Also monthly active users aren't total users.

For example steam has over a billion accounts in 2019 when they had 90m active users. its save to say there numbers today are far larger.

Then about the GPU market, its absolute gigantic.

GPU Market Sees A 38.74% Growth In Q1 2021, Shipping 119 Million Units - AMD & NVIDIA Remain Almost Flat​

The report states that compared to the last year (Q1 2020), the GPU market saw a growth of almost 39% in Q1 2021. The overall number of GPU shipments reached 119 million units & given that the average growth rate sticks to 2.87% for a forecasted period (2020-2025), it will hit up to 3.333 billion units. Also, it is stated that while integrated GPUs dominate the GPU market, discrete graphics units are expected to reach a market share of 26% over the next five years.

Now only a small segment will hit PC obviously, but still i would not be shocked if we had close to 40m rtx cards capable cards on the market now, and that doesn't include the 1000 series with that or even AMD.

Intel entering the dedicated GPU market is going to be interesting.

Then also PC gamers don't sit on 4k resolutions, its a absolute nitch, which means a lower performing GPU will push better resolutions at 1080p. So comparing performance 1 on 1 is also not going to be much useful of a GPU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom