• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam X Linux X Stadia: Dream or Nightmare ?

Steam X Linux X Stadia

• Such alliance would be smart for both Valve and Google

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Fuck them all, Windows all the way

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Alucardx23 Alucardx23 had an exciting theory that makes a lot of sense for Valve and Google who both have Windows as competitor.(even Amazon is currently hiring Linux experts for Luna)

"
Steam Cloud Play.

"The service is partnering up with NVIDIA's GeForce Now. They would be adding more services in the future but right now, this is the one they start off with. In the article, they claim that Steam Cloud Play is set to act as a bridge between these services, allowing for an all-access service, under one banner."

"GeForce Now would allow users to access their games, which they have opted for in the service, to play across the platform. They say that as more services add, there would be better cohesion between them, better integration."

https://appuals.com/valve-announces-steam-cloud-play/

"
Hear me out people. Steam games on Stadia.

An alliance between Valve and Stadia to run your Steam library on Stadia would be really cool. Valve wants to push Linux gaming hard and Stadia could be a good ally for that. Valve already has the list of developers that want to opt into allowing their games to be played on a cloud gaming service, so adding Stadia there should be possible. This would surely qualify as something "exciting for developers and the player base" and something with the the potential to dramatically impact the user count of the platform, as Yves Hodler said. Below you can see quotes for how the system Valve has in place works.

"each game developer has a choice to opt-in: "Enable your game to run streamed from the Cloud, hosted by Valve"

"Steam Cloud Play is currently in Beta and features are being added over time. We are now accepting a limited amount of games into the service as we continue to build features and server capacity for players. The first service we are connecting to Steam to allow users to play games from their Steam Library from the Cloud is NVIDIA GeForce NOW."

"The first service" as in more cloud gaming services can join or will join in the future."

Features that will dramatically rise the user count ? Country expansion ? Youtube click to play ? Steam cloud play alliance ?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't understand what Google would get out of this deal. More people on Stadia? If Stadia could stream Steam games, why would anyone ever buy something directly from Google/Stadia again (same price for a game that can only be played on streaming vs a game that could be played locally as well). If it's only for Stadia Pro members ($10/month, similar to GeForce Now) - and that's what Google is interested in - they should change their business model to match that of GeForce Now and stop selling games outright.

CEW7kXM.png

Hari Seldon

I don't know what to think. I want windows to die as linux is vastly superior, but simultaneously streaming games sucks unless you are one of the few dozen people where it doesn't suck.

Fat Frog

I don't know what to think. I want windows to die as linux is vastly superior, but simultaneously streaming games sucks unless you are one of the few dozen people where it doesn't suck.
Are you living on deserted island ?
Stadia has a lower input lag than Xbox on RDR2 and GFN 3080 tier is often crushing PS5's latency for millions of connections...

Of course, some regions remain bad (or unavailable for cloud services) for internet and Xcloud isn't exactly the best ambassador for Cloud but there are millions of people on earth who have pretty decent latency.

Were you talking about IQ ? It can be better indeed but AV1 codec will arrive soln enough.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I thought Gamepass was rumored for Steam. Why would Stadia add anything of value for Valve?

Also, you need a 3rd option on your poll that says "Fuck Stadia. All my homies hate Stadia."

Last edited:

Crayon

I'm not sure google wants a massive catalog with better prices sitting side by side with their pathetic store.

Now valve using the "google game streaming" tech or whatever the white label product is called, that would make sense because stadia works very well.

Hari Seldon

Are you living on deserted island ?
Stadia has a lower input lag than Xbox on RDR2 and GFN 3080 tier is often crushing PS5's latency for millions of connections...

Of course, some regions remain bad (or unavailable for cloud services) for internet and Xcloud isn't exactly the best ambassador for Cloud but there are millions of people on earth who have pretty decent latency.

Were you talking about IQ ? It can be better indeed but AV1 codec will arrive soln enough.
I have never tried stadia. I tried streaming on xbox and it was washed out garbage and I will never try it again.

Fat Frog

I have never tried stadia. I tried streaming on xbox and it was washed out garbage and I will never try it again.
As i said earlier, Xcloud is the worst ambassador for cloud gaming.
Funny thing is Phil Spencer told the world of gaming that Amazon, Google would damage the industry... For the moment Microsoft is the one damaging cloud gaming.

I won't tell you to test Stadia since it's currently a mixed bag from a practical hands on. Under the good circumstances, the tech is impressive but many publishers just received a check from Google and released mediocre ports.(disapointing IQ, no use of Stadia's features: only a few times you see some impressive features like the rear on Far Cry 6. The stream is running 2 games sessions on your TV at the same time without graphic downgrade (your online friend's game session appears on a small window). I'll wait for new codecs and new blades before to ask you to check Stadia...

For now, you can check the GFN free tier (OKish quality but better than xcloud), then the paid subscription (better graphics, with RTX) and then the 3080 tier which crushes Series X and PS5.

This is an old video, there is now better resolutions from a browser (1440p and up to 4K with Nvidia Shield Pro...with bad luck and bad circumstances, your first hands on with GFN could be 1080 but there are more resolutions available)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I'm not sure google wants a massive catalog with better prices sitting side by side with their pathetic store.

Now valve using the "google game streaming" tech or whatever the white label product is called, that would make sense because stadia works very well.
It's not exactly the same but when you subscribe to Ubi+ you have an optional choice which is having access to Google Stadia for a $3 or $5 extra cost...
There are a lot of rooms for many kind partnerships. Nonetheless, Valve has the high ground. I would suggest Google to not be greedy...(Steam Cloud is clearly looking to integrate other cloud services, it's written. Don't know who. But they are looking for partners on their "one place")

Last edited:

Alucardx23

I thought Gamepass was rumored for Steam. Why would Stadia add anything of value for Valve?

Also, you need a 3rd option on your poll that says "Fuck Stadia. All my homies hate Stadia."

Just like Geforce Now allows people to purchase PC games without having a gaming PC, Stadia would work in the same way. It should be easy to understand how this expands the amount of people that can buy a game, because not having to buy the gaming PC lowers the barrier of entry. Over time Cloud gaming will become more integral for Sony and Microsoft and Valve with Steam Cloud Play is taking the strategy of working with other cloud gaming services in order to allow their customers to play their games in the cloud.

Fat Frog

You're a little late, amigos.😜
You had your moment (February 2022, bad news from insiders, no big games annoucements, nothing...) You were the kings, i was the fool...

Unfortunately for you, Sundar Pichai is building Stadia data centers in LATAM. You know, the poor region hungry for cloud gaming... 🥳

I know, it's hard to accept but Stadia survived the hyenas 😁

Top Bottom