• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Build Announcement Trailer | Releases 2023 on PC & Console

Bragr

Banned
So this is the new project from the Image & Form guys (i think? Steamworld Dig, Steamworld Heist, Steamworld Quest).

They are now called Thunderful Development, and I'm pretty sure this is the first game under that umbrella. Didn't "The Gunk" come out last year? these guys work fast.

Getting the demo now, I hope this is gonna be great.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Works well on Deck minus the controls. It is strictly mouse & keyboard so know that going into it. I had to assign middle mouse click for rotation but otherwise it’s been fine on Deck. 30fps with default graphic settings.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Very nice to hear they're going back to making multiple (!) SteamWorld games. Hopefully The Gunk was only a one-time mistake.

CamHostage

So this is the new project from the Image & Form guys (i think? Steamworld Dig, Steamworld Heist, Steamworld Quest).

They are now called Thunderful Development, and I'm pretty sure this is the first game under that umbrella. Didn't "The Gunk" come out last year? these guys work fast.

Partly correct, I think? Steamworld Build is actually developed by sibling studio The Station (or Station Interactive,) who have been mostly a support studio up to now aside from some cellphone games like Sniper Execution, but mostly they did a TON of LBP DLC.

https://station-interactive.com/

Image and Form (or what used to be I&F) have a different Steamworld game in the works called Steamworld Headhunter. It's the first non-2D Steamworld game by them (although now it'll come out after Build,) and second big 3D game (although they have a lot of web game history before they became known and incorporated, I assume none of that was 3D?) after The Gunk.

There are four different new Steamworld games in the works, including Headhunter, Build, a mobile puzzle game, and a turn-based strategy/shooter game. Likely, as with Build, other developers will spearhead the development of the others while the main studio does Headhunter.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/four-steamworld-games-are-in-development-including-a-citybuilder

Short story version of the company history AFAIK, Swedish company Image and Form were a European multimedia and web/mobile producer, and after many years they had a hit (on DSi of all places) with the first Steamworld game. They became part of a consortium along with Zoink (makers of Stick it to the Man and Fe and Lost in Random) that helped establish Thunderful as a publisher, and then eventually they and Zoink and Guru Games (makers of something I've not heard of called Medusa's Labyrinth) all merged and became Thunderful Development for publisher Thunderful. Station BTW is now also a Thunderful development team.

(BTW, for me, it's a shame in a way that Image and Form & Zoink merged, as both Steamworld and Lost in Random have made these developers into names worth looking out for in new releases. I'm not used to watching for the next great "Thunderful" game, and then the Thunderful umbrella publishes so much by other studios that it'd be easy to confuse the labels. But, since everything still all moving forward successfully so far, so be it.)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Impressions from RPS after 4 hours of play (they are positive):

Played for a few hours myself last night

I Want More GIF

Kusarigama

Steamworld Build is the city building game, another is the Steamworld Headhunter that had a teaser last year. And two more games one is a turn based game possibly a sequel to Steamworld Heist and one more steamworld game in development.

I love the Steamworld games, the humor, the art, music and gameplay are all amazing. Still wishing for the proper console port of Steamworld Quest.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Steamworld Build is the city building game, another is the Steamworld Headhunter that had a teaser last year. And two more games one is a turn based game possibly a sequel to Steamworld Heist and one more steamworld game in development.

I love the Steamworld games, the humor, the art, music and gameplay are all amazing. Still wishing for the proper console port of Steamworld Quest.
Quest is on Switch.

xrnzaaas

I've played SteamWorld Build for several hours and it's generally a fun strategy game. Building the city is relatively simple - the game lays out all the connections between buildings & residents needs, but you still need to manage all of that properly and keep a positive budget. The mining part of the game is equally entertaining (if not more). I didn't get to the part when you have to start defending your mining business, but removing blocks and exploring the mines has been fun. It gave me similar vibes to SteamWorld Dig when you're digging and not knowing what cool thing you'll find next.
The game looks & runs great on the XSX - zero complaints there. It plays okay on the controller, some commands should've been more intuitive, but I can live with it.
Two bigger complaints - there's only a single save in the game and I bet it will become frustrating later on after you'll have to start protecting your underground business. Also afaik there's also only a single story no matter which map you choose to play. At least the dungeons can be randomized.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've played SteamWorld Build for several hours and it's generally a fun strategy game. Building the city is relatively simple - the game lays out all the connections between buildings & residents needs, but you still need to manage all of that properly and keep a positive budget. The mining part of the game is equally entertaining (if not more). I didn't get to the part when you have to start defending your mining business, but removing blocks and exploring the mines has been fun. It gave me similar vibes to SteamWorld Dig when you're digging and not knowing what cool thing you'll find next.
The game looks & runs great on the XSX - zero complaints there. It plays okay on the controller, some commands should've been more intuitive, but I can live with it.
Two bigger complaints - there's only a single save in the game and I bet it will become frustrating later on after you'll have to start protecting your underground business. Also afaik there's also only a single story no matter which map you choose to play. At least the dungeons can be randomized.
I played the demo over and over and look forward to getting home later today and firing this up on my PC, thank you for the bump and the reminder

nashman

Was a grind getting engineer happyness to 100%. Now Aristobots to 100% Yikes have no gold or rubys, this game while fun is getting grindy.

Was a grind getting engineer happyness to 100%. Now Aristobots to 100% Yikes have no gold or rubys, this game while fun is getting grindy.
Aristocrats are by far the hardest to keep happy, but they also produce a huge amount of cash and their jobs tend to cover all of the advanced materials.

The next tier after aristocrats (I won't spoil just in case) are comparatively simple, at least to start with. The game adds more and more requirements as you upgrade, so maybe I'm way off.

My point is, even if you keep aristocrats at least half satisfied, they will produce a fair bit of cash that you can use to cover any resource gaps.

Top Bottom